Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism »

Players Wanted: Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution »

Warning: Mature Content Roleplay

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Warning: Mature Content Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:46 am

As we all know, it is time for most of the role playing community to get out of school for the summer. With that, many others make their way to role playing sites for something else. Romance. While we are a free form role playing site, and non elitist. We do have base ground rules and law of common sense. With the onslaught of high school role plays and romantically involved role plays. I am reinstating a few choice tips.

If there is already one high school role play, please join it, do not make 30 more. That helps you gain members either way.

As far as rules go, we do not allow public intimacy. There are way too many people with access to this site, with users under the ages 13. They do not need to see such stuff. While even they may participate in it, we'd rather not have it wasting space here. We do our best to keep quality and quantity, these posts only tend to hurt. This means, romantic only role plays, should not be made. They tend to head toward the more personal side of things. Also, you can not ask for pictures of people in your role play, especially romantic ones. This implies that you are simply here for some dating games. And, we are not a dating service.

Please, also keep in mind that everyone can see your posts. So one liners really are not your friends. Try to have some quality. Try and better yourself as a storyteller and role player.

As far as punishments go. We will typically just lock these romance threads up, as well as notify as to why it was closed. While we will not punish you out right for making such threads, please just try to have quality with them, not just build it around romance and one liners. However, if you do break the intimacy rule or any other site rules, you will be held responsible for your actions.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vexar
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Re: Warning: Romance Role Players

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TFairy on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:01 pm

^-^
Well said. I was on a rp site that was similar to RPG, and had serious romance problems. Romance ended up being banned, as the staff couldn't keep it under control.

I'm screaming I love you so

But my thoughts you can't decode.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TFairy
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Romance is a legitimate form of roleplay, and we encourage players to be tasteful. However, intimate relationships do not belong on the public boards, so quite simply put follow RolePlayGateway's Rules and keep intimacy off the public boards.

Moderators will delete posts that contain unnecessary detail on intimate encounters, and will not hesitate to do so. Please, for everyone's benefit, don't post mature intimacy in your roleplay.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 16 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ashkenaz on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:35 pm

I don't usually post in Romance role plays, mainly because most people don't seem to understand any boundaries, but I do enjoy having a romantic element in a storyline. It really annoys me that romance has become a problem on Role play gateway, Its just wrong.

Thank you for being on the lookout. Me and all the other posters on RPG are very thankful, I'm sure.

Ashkenaz
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:42 am

I don't think we'll ever come to the point of banning Romance in whole from the site. Because we are a site that wants people to be able to express their creativity freely, that would only be barring those that can handle the genre responsibly.

I do want all members to know that they can flag a topic or post for the staff to see. In the upper right hand of every post, there are a few buttons you can press. The upside down triangle with the exclamation mark, (!), is the icon you want to click to report a post. Fill out the report, saying why you think someone on the staff should take a second look at the post or topic, and a staff member will attend to it right away. If you want to report a whole topic, just make the report on the first post in the thread.

Sometimes staff members overlook a thread or post that should be deleted or edited, so please, if you see something that you don't think should be there, put a report on the post and we will take the appropriate actions as we see necessary. This way, we have the whole member-base keeping the site clean and watching out for what's best for our community. :)
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 15 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Taran_Winterleaf on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:54 am

This might sound a really obvious question...but what is termed Romance exactly?

I personally enjoy stories where there is a romantic element, although I'm aware from experience that it can get a little out of hand. Sometimes in environments where it is banned, the stories become quite stale. But vice versa is also true.I also understand why such a rule exists here and I thoroughly agree with it and the way it is enforced. I only ask because inevitably I'll struggle because I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic...a more detailed description of what is acceptable and what isn't would be helpful as I would hate to upset anyone.

Taran_Winterleaf
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fenikkusugumi on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:22 pm

I consider myself to be a sap. I'm in love with the idea of falling and being in love. In fact, some of my favorite movies, novels, and video games contain what I like to call "epic romance", so naturally, when I roleplay, I like my roleplay to contain romance; however, there are limitations, I understand, to roleplay involving romance.

True roleplayers are looking for a great story while "roleplayers" (mostly known as cyber roleplayers) are looking for something explicit. I'm a true roleplayer in the fact that I'm looking for a great story, but I tend to get bored if I don't have a romantic storyline going on with a character. Of course, it's never the basis of the roleplay, it's more like Link's side quests in The Ocarina of Time when he's searching for heart containers, bottles, and masks.

Just felt that I needed to justify myself here because there really isn't such a thing as "romance roleplay". Romance is just an element of a storyline either included or not included, depending on the storyline itself and the characters involved. The only kind of "romance roleplay" is cyber, which I doubt any of us are here for.

Fenikkusugumi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:22 pm

The term "romance" is a bit of a misnomer, as there is nothing wrong with romance roleplay. However, our rules specify that you must follow common sensitivity, which places a respectable limit on the physical actions portrayed within romance roleplay.

No detailed graphic contact whatsoever. It is absolutely unnecessary to go into any amount of detail when referring to adult content, such as heavy petting or sexual interaction. This sort of content should be kept off the boards at all times.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 16 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fenikkusugumi on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Remæus wrote:The term "romance" is a bit of a misnomer, as there is nothing wrong with romance roleplay. However, our rules specify that you must follow common sensitivity, which places a respectable limit on the physical actions portrayed within romance roleplay.

No detailed graphic contact whatsoever. It is absolutely unnecessary to go into any amount of detail when referring to adult content, such as heavy petting or sexual interaction. This sort of content should be kept off the boards at all times.

What do you consider "heavy petting"? It didn't take me but a few moments to calculate the differences between roleplaying on your message boards and between roleplaying on AOL.

It's sort've like re-educating me on roleplay -- almost.

Not only do I roleplay, but I also just write as an outlet for creativity. Usually whatever I'm writing reflects what kind of mood I'm in, so sometimes I can get carried away on detailing and such. I detail it how I see it in my mind, sort've like what a director does.

For example, I can detail a passionate kiss into reality without it leading to sex or even contact with a personal part of the body.

Fenikkusugumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Taran_Winterleaf on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:04 pm

Thanks for clearing that up a little for me. I had an idea what you meant, but I just wanted to be sure, thanks

Taran_Winterleaf
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:42 pm

Heavy petting would mean getting too close to public. As in, over doing the touching and the likes.

Vexar
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby [Ace] on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:23 pm

It does seem as though there are a rather unnecessary amount of these topics are spawning

as of late. To be honest, I'm glad there's a bit of attention being drawn to this as, it's killed

many a fantastic board with argument over it. I commend you for your endeavor;

However,

I do have one question: You say no description. Does implication count? For example entering

an obviously intimate situation, letting the alternate posters make their statements about

whatever they may be experiencing, then posting later in the aftermath of it all? 'Tis just a

question. Thank you for you're work Admins and Mods. ;D

[Ace]
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:55 pm

What description entails would be, saying the two characters go and do the act, and describing them in the act.

Saying. Max and Kara leave together that night, is fine... Saying what they did isn't. You can just skip to the next morning.

Vexar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:00 am

BANNING ROMANCE?!

WHY...YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST BAN LIVING! What is a world without love and romance and connections and intimacy between two souls, the threads of their hearts weaved together in an intricate fabric which is the light of the very world itself?!

You heartless fiends!

No, but seriously, I'm kind of amazed that most roleplayers aren't taking this sort of rule as implied. Well, I was amazed until I looked at the "EliteSkills" roleplaying community, the second result that turns up in a Google search for "roleplay." The overwhelming majority of content there is open-post cybering which results in enormous roleplay orgies. I think we need to provide a good counterexample to that kind of tasteless garbage.

Kouketsu
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LitomoSilver on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:57 am

LOL, Kouketsu.

Your overreaction in the first line made me laugh.

Well yeah, it's supposed to be implied, and no offense to those who read this... but sometimes people needs to have such implications clarified in the rules. >_>;

Wow, Kouketsu. I checked out EliteSkills.

... I did a search via Yahoo. RPGateway comes up second. I switched to Google and did the same search and got the same second result. Checking it out has made me gag mentally.

Wow. >_>; Full of romance and well... coughs I think I'll have to agree with you after taking a quick look-see.

I do agree with you, though... that we need to make a difference against that sort of example of bad RP.

Wow. I mean, just wow. >_>;

I have to admit though, I'm sorely tempted to infiltrate the community and trying to RP there and see how it goes and see what happens if I'm able to at least get their RPs up a notch. >.> <.<

Can we say... Project Improvement?!

At least, it's my personal project. >_________________>;

Erm. I'll make it clear here and now, this project isn't at all related to RPGateway. >_>;

Well. Hmm. If you want more info please PMzorz meh and I'll explain in further detail as to what the project entails. >.> Because going further into it might piss off more than a few people here. >.>

Anyways, I'm out.
A Fallen Warrior am I, as I lay upon my back, knowing as I raise my eyes to the skies, as I lose the battle of my life, that I will never see again...those that I love. Blood and tears flow gently down my face as I await the final judgment...knowing that I am forever free, yet forever damned as I close my eyes and release my breath for the final time...

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain....It's time to toss the dice...Mat Cauthon-Robert Jordan...Wheel of Time series

"How do you prove that you exist? Maybe we don't exist..." - Vivi

"Having sworn fealty, must I spend my life in servitude?" - Steiner

"To be forgotten is worse than death." - Freya

"The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty." - Amarant.

LitomoSilver
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:12 am

Erm...as the staff member of the site here, Lit, I have to object to you doing that, as RolePlayGateway does not want to be held responsible. But, you covered that in your disclaimer that it isn't related to the site, so...just don't be making any threads illustrating your endeavor. Keep it to PM. >_>

You crack me up, Kou. I heart you. I do not even want to look at that site you listed. I just CANNOT see ANY point to having that kind of behavior in a roleplay. Descriptive sexual intimacy does NOTHING for the story of a roleplay. If people are that desperate for intimate description, they need not to put it here. There are too many other places out there that thrive on this kind of stuff to have it trash our boards.

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 15 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LitomoSilver on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:21 am

Hence why I said if anyone wanted more details, to PM me. Or get ahold of me via IRC.

>_________>;

I knew someone'd say something similar to what you just said.

I don't see any real point in that kind of roleplay, at least, not without plotlines and such.

I prefer having an RP that if you have to well... obviously what we're referring to... then it be either done in PM or somewhere else... or if you're feeling daring, post it somewhere NOT on RPGateway.

Which is pretty much what my policy is when it comes to this type of RP. >________>;

There's a time and a place for everything. >.>

Edit: My intention was that if I did join any RPs there, it would not be to disrupt/destroy it.

Just so you guys know about my... Project. >_>;

Anyways, that's all the details I'll give publicly. :/

LitomoSilver
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Re: Warning: Mature Content Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:41 am

If it isn't moving the story forward, it doesn't belong in your roleplay. Melfina pointed this out above, and this should be the limit for any content you put in your roleplays, not just romance elements.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cass on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:23 am

Not sure if my two cents is allowed here or not. In my opinion, in regards to sensual/sexual intimacy in roleplay, if you wouldn't do it in front of your mother, grandmother, and half your church... don't do it here.

Personally speaking, romance in and of itself is fine as part of a storyline but shallow as the entire purpose of one.

In a public forum, red lining those types of scenes is perfectly acceptable. You imply but ultimately end up reflecting on the emotion of it after its done.

Cass
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nia on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:32 pm

How about, "If they wouldn't due during Prime Time tv hours, don't do it here"?
Owner:
RPGConnect.net
fateslabyrinth.net

Nia
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!