Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation »

Players Wanted: Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted »

Way of the Ronin

Way of the Ronin

a part of “Way of the Ronin”, a fictional universe by Unicorn Luv.

The masterless can never call themselves Samurai, they must always be known as Ronin. Yet they still wield their sword all the same.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Way of the Ronin”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Way of the Ronin

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Unicorn Luv on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:41 am

Kobayashi Chinatsu-dono is a lady of great renown. Known for her power and discipline in following the lead of her husband, Kobayashi Gendo-dono. She was taken as an example for all the women of Japan, and envy for the men. She was a symbol of peace, beauty, obedience, and control.

Until someone destroyed her world.

In a swift raid done by none other than Yousuke Haru, a warlord looking to take control of the province that the Kobayashi household watched over, Lady Chinatsu-dono's family is slaughtered before her eyes. She manages to escape with the help of her loyal retainer, Soujirou, along with her ward. Torn by rage, loss, and by the lust for blood, Chinatsu-dono has foresaken the image of peace and beauty in trade for a sea of blood. She herself is not strong enough to hold a sword, but she has plenty of means with which to find those who can. She sends Soujirou-san and her ward to find her five of the strongest Ronin to join her cause, the reward for which she offers is handsome. Along the way the group will face shadow walkers and spies known as Shinobi, hired swordsmen to take them down, and the cunning and cruel Warlord Yousuke Haru, who might not be as human as he claims. Another difficulty they face is in fact, one another. Personalities and ways of life clash, along with rivalry and pride. This is a fool's errand they run, headed towards an army just to take down one man, though each participant has their reasons.

Are you willing to bathe yourself in blood?

C H A R A C T E R S

Code: Select all
[center][size=300][font=][color=]Character's Name (last name first, then first name)[/color][/font][/size]
[color=]⌈[/color][size=150][color=#BFBFBF]Quote from character[/color][color=]⌋[/color][/size][/center]

[right]Image goes here y'all[/right]
[size=90][color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Age[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
age goes here

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Appearance[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
a paragraph of how your character looks

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Likes[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
likes go here

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Dislikes[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
dislikes go here

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Personality[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
at least three paragraphs consisting of ten sentences each

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Relationships[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
are you single? do you have friends? any partners, any family? etc. how close are you to these people?

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Equipment[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
your weapon/s go here

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Strengths[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
your specialization, what you are good at etc.

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Weaknesses[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
what you are not good at, any fears, etc.

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]Home[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
where does your character live? Do they not live anywhere and wander?

[color=]⌈[/color][color=#BFBFBF]History[/color][color=]⌋[/color]
Include how they came to be the way they are, what job they have or how they make money, and their reputation out there, are they well known or a new kid on the block? this should be four paragraphs minimum in length.[/size]
Last edited by Unicorn Luv on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Unicorn Luv
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Way of the Ronin

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby bingubingu on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:28 am

This role play has peaked my interest, I'll be submitting a character soon.

girl groups and only girl groups

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

bingubingu
Member for 7 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Feyblue on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:41 am

Could I reserve the Ronin Hanyou? I'll have a bio up as soon as I get the chance to make one properly.

Feyblue
Member for 8 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nosyfatguy on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:57 am

I'm very interested in this role play, i'd like to be a Hired Ronin for the Warlord

nosyfatguy
Member for 7 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Feyblue on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Well, okay, correction. I won't be RESERVING that spot, since reserving isn't a thing. Typed that out of habit anyway since I was half asleep when I wrote it. Rather, I feel like I should notify you in advance that I'll be submitting a bio for that role, so that hopefully, if somebody else comes along and submits one first, you'll at least wait to consider mine.

Sorry for the mix-up.

Feyblue
Member for 8 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Unicorn Luv on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:23 pm

@feyblue No letting me know is completely fine and encouraged, I just wanted people to be aware that they can't reserve. Too many times where ppl have reserved and hogged the role only to ditch imao. A question though, did you understand what I meant by destructive hanyou? What's your take on that phrase?

Unicorn Luv
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Feyblue on Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:53 pm

The character I had in mind was going to be based partially on the concept of an Ushi-Oni, with additional mythological tie-ins to normal Oni and to various different Youkai spiders such as Tsuchigumo and Jorugumo in his heritage. Basically, since there isn't really a defined appearance and nature for an Ushi-Oni aside from "Bull + Other Stuff" - usually spiders, octopi, and other stuff like that - I was planning on having his youkai ancestors be normal Oni who mated with Jorugumo and Tsuchigumo style spider youkai - being earth based, I'm assuming they'd be part of the same faction - and, instead of just coming out as descendants of the male, the resultant offspring took on traits of both their parents, resulting in a somewhat unstable fusion of Oni and spider youkai. Largely, they'd be very dense, mostly driven by animal instinct, causing them in the past to kill Humans and destroy things at random - since that's how they're usually portrayed in legends. During this whole "rape, kill, pillage, burn, and eat" phase, it's quite likely that some Hanyou might have slipped under the radar - such being the case for my character.

For his identity, he's probably going to be something of a simpleton who's obviously inhuman due to his gigantic stature and traits of his youkai ancestry like horns, a gigantic shaggy mane of hair like spider's silk, etc.(reference image here) - as I'm assuming those were the sorts of "deformities" you were referring to when discussing Hanyou. He's going to be something of a vagrant, living on the edges of Human society to avoid frightening people and consequently being attacked by them, since most people see him as a monster. He's somewhat naive and childlike in his demeanor - both due to his lack of formal learning, inexperience at dealing with other people, and his rapid growth due to his inhuman heritage - meaning if you treat him nicely, he'll probably be nice to you back. For the most part, he's defined by an innocent sort of curiosity towards the world around him, and his more destructive tendencies - like his ignorance of his own strength - have been somewhat curbed by his upbringing (as I'd planned on having him adopted temporarily by a wise old man figure as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the story of Momotaro). However, he's also very emotional, and tends to resort to violence to solve his problems, which can cause a lot of collateral damage due to his inhuman strength. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When you're a seven and a half foot tall mass of muscle and something's doing something you don't like, the obvious answer is to punch it until it stops. The more angry he gets, however, the less he thinks and the more he just blindly follows his instincts, largely due to the instability of his ancestry being reflected in himself. As a result, if somebody really manages to piss him off - say, hurting somebody who was nice to him, or consistently calling him a monster, or trying to attack him when he hasn't done anything to deserve such treatment - he'll probably just enter a berserk rage with levels of coherence ranging from simple phrases like "YOU! STOP!" to mindless bestial roaring, and won't stop his rampage - barring outside interference - until whoever made him mad is reduced to a fine red paste adorning the walls, floor, and ceiling.

Basically, a fundamentally childish, somewhat clumsy, and slightly dense individual with a somewhat short attention span, who doesn't really bear any particular animosity towards the world as a whole, and doesn't really live up to his monstrous appearance - unless you make him angry, at which point he begins to resemble his ancient horror story inspirations a touch more closely.

Does that sound close enough to what you had in mind, or...?

Feyblue
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Unicorn Luv on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:13 pm

Kinda. A simpleton character sounds pretty one dimensional? Do you think you could write that compellingly? If so more power to you, I'm just concerned about the long term, would writing this character keep your interest? I'm not a huge fan of this concept overall. As far as destructive goes though I meant that his deformities would actually physically negatively effect him as well as possibly others, not just because of society.

Unicorn Luv
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Feyblue on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:54 pm

Perhaps I worded my explanation rather badly. I don't mean "simpleton" in the sense of being somehow mentally disabled. Rather, he simply doesn't have any experience with Human culture, customs, or standards, and as such, doesn't recognize them when he sees them. So, he's a simpleton in the sense of being a country bumpkin and not knowing how to read, not understanding why you can't just eat your food however you like instead of bothering with all these "manners," whatever those are, and not knowing why people are willing to lie, cheat, and steal when they should know that doing such things is wrong. That doesn't mean he can't learn about Human nature and how to be more Human himself as time goes on, figure out practical solutions to problems he faces based on what means he has at his disposal, or put things together to come to his own conclusions. In short, simple doesn't necessarily mean stupid. Rather, it means he's simply naive, and a bit oblivious at times.

As for his deformities, they don't really hurt him physically in the present - I.E., he's long since learned to stop catching his horns on low hanging ceilings and the like. However, he does still have plenty of pressing issues, both in the present and the past. Given how quickly he grew up - he was able to walk within the first few days of his birth, and by the time he was three, he was already as many feet tall. He's only actually 16 at the moment, but is somewhere around eight feet in height - his body suffered extensive damage, with muscles tearing and bones breaking from the strain of supporting his own weight. Although he's much more resilient than a Human due to being based on a very physical type of Youkai, and thus could actually recover from these sorts of injuries, they debilitated him throughout his childhood. Furthermore, he's also insensitive to pain due to his mixed heritage and general biological instability, and, on a slightly related note, has rather poor eyesight, sensing his surroundings largely through smell, sound, perception of motion - he is a bull, after all, so the good old "wave a cape around" trick would work on him just fine - as well as by spreading the "webs" comprising his hair nigh-invisibly throughout his surroundings so that he can sense whenever somebody or something comes into contact with one and snaps it - a reference to the Tsuchigumo's modus operandi, feeding using invisible webs to drain life. He can't actually do the life draining part, or even restrain people effectively using webs, but he can use his prehensile web-hair as feelers. Finally, there's also the most important matter of his emotional instability and overwhelming animal instinct to smash, kill, and destroy anything that makes him angry. This might be enough to make him, say, forget that he shouldn't blindly charge and try to punch somebody to death if they provoke him sufficiently, even if they're holding a spear and could skewer him like a pig before he ever reached them. Combined with his insensitivity to pain, it means he's almost more likely to hurt himself than anybody else when he's acting so recklessly.

Does this sort of clear up my intent, or do you still dislike the idea? If you'd rather not have a character like this, then I'd be perfectly willing to stand down.

Feyblue
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Unicorn Luv on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Ok what you described about the muscle tears and such makes zero medical sense but I won't get into it and it's not what I was looking for. I did understand what you meant by simpleton just again, it seems a tad one dimensional. Overall I just like this character less the more I hear it. I'm sorry I'm not trying to be rude and I still welcome you to the roleplay of course it's just I don't want you to go through the trouble of writing something up that I'm not going to like and approve you know? That would suck and I don't want to waste your time and energy.

Unicorn Luv
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby bingubingu on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Finished my character and submitted it. Please do tell me if I need to change something or do a complete overhaul. Thank you in advance!

bingubingu
Member for 7 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Feyblue on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:48 pm

How so? Gigantism is an actual thing. Hell, I had a classmate who grew so tall so quickly he had to drop out of all his classes for a semester because his knees failed and he needed corrective surgery. Regardless, I won't protest the point any further, since it seems like my idea wasn't at all what you had in mind - which is totally fine. Thanks for telling me in advance that you didn't like the idea, instead of waiting for me to write a whole bio and then refusing it outright, like the last three GMs I've tried to join an RP from. You have no idea how frustrating that is.

Anyway, good luck with your RP, and I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a decent idea to fit your envisioned plot and group setup. I apologize most sincerely for wasting your time.

Feyblue
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Hey, I was wondering if I could make a half-Portuguese Ronin. I've always been fascinated by the small western interactions with Japan during this period with the introduction of matchlocks and Christianity. I think that a character caught between two worlds would be very interesting to play as.

I have the perfect picture for him too: http://orig10.deviantart.net/dc64/f/201 ... 53hja9.jpg.

Edit: I wouldn't, of course, have my character use anything gunpowder related at all. That just wouldn't be fun. :O
Last edited by almostinsane on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

almostinsane
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Unicorn Luv on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Damn,

You learn something new every day. I knew about the disease but I didn't know you could actually grow so fast you'd hurt yourself. I guess growing pains are an actual thing?!

I feel like I miffed you a little bit, and I am sorry about that and would love to see if you can come up with something else. If you'd rather leave though I understand and more power to you.

@almostinsane: there was indeed some trade with the Portuguese so yeah, go for it

Unicorn Luv
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Awesome! I will try to have him up as soon as possible. :)

almostinsane
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kato on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:43 am

Hello folks! Nice to see people are interested in this RP... looking forward to playing with you guys.

So, Unicorn, regarding Soujirou ... I feel I have to change that guy's name because Soujirou is such an old man's name... and I'm thinking of having him be quite young, and developing maturity as he is suddenly put in this position of responsibility. His family are going to be hereditary chief retainers to the Kobayashi, which means that until the attack on the castle that Chinatsu escaped, his father was the chief retainer.

What I want to discuss is what your ideas are about:

Chinatsu's and the ward's age, and what kind of relationship that might give Soujirou with them? Also what kind of ideas you have for the ward character?
Whether Chinatsu had any children.
Where is Chinatsu now since her province has been taken over by Warlord-sama. The blurb implies that she isn't on the quest with Soujirou and ward, so if she isn't where is she staying, who is protecting her? I just had another look at the intro, and I'm not sure I get what exactly is going on. Were they staying with some allies in Edo?
Are there other survivors - is it literally just those three, or are there some guards/servants or something?

I also wanted to think about whether it's possible that my character might have any family still around somewhere. Logically, I guess everyone died, but that whole cliche of "all my family are dead" really grates on me. I may just have to suck it up and have them all dead for once in my miserable life...
"Schopenhauer was right, wouldn't you say? Life without pain has no meaning. Gentlemen, I wish to give your lives meaning..."

Kato
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Person of Interest Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Unicorn Luv on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:49 am

So lady Chinatsu has basically political asylum under the Hojo clan who were the residing Daimyo over the Edo area. If I'm getting that right. I think I am. Political asylum under a Daimyo is the point. Attacking her in his territory is like attacking him, he would and should attack back. It still leaves her open to assassination plots but it'd be kinda hard to get to her since she's gonna be well guarded and her sons are dead so there's really no point in going after her, no chance of a rebellion (or so a daimyo who just won the province would think). The province the Kobayashi held was an ally with this Daimyo previously and this is basically a favor since the family has lost its province and power. Another reason she got political asylum is because that area is where Lady Chinatsu grew up, her marriage was an arranged one. She's living with her parents right now, and her father is/was (he's kinda old now) one of the higher ranked generals.

Lady chinatsu had two sons, no daughters (which is part of the reason she took on Kana as her ward, who will be like 17-18 and adapted from this character)

Uhhhhh, only survivors in terms of ones aligned to Chinatsu, because once the battle is mostly won and there are prisoners there's the option of joining Yousuke and living life as usual or being beheaded. (as a side note yousuke wouldn't have his men attack servants, just the combatant men, he keept the servants for himself and general upkeep) Also as in Chinatsu doesn't have access to any men besides the retainer she kept close, after seeking asylum and dismissing those who were too injured to serve anyway she wasn't allowed to keep the very few that were left. They would likely be absorbed by the residing Daimyo. No one wants lady Chinatsu to seek revenge, they think that's a crockpot idea. Well it is. But i mean she's kinda crazy and desperate at this point, she's got nothing left. She's got guards provided by the daimyo but your character would be her only original.

The village at the bottom of the mountain wasn't burned or anything, which is where I'm guessing the family of your character would have their home? So yeah most of his family would probably still be alive. It wasn't a murder rampage for anyone other than the kobayashi basically, when you take over someone else's territory as a standard you eliminate the whole family to prevent any sort of rebellion.

Unicorn Luv
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kato on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:14 am

OK, that makes sense about asylum. It does make me wonder why no other samurai daimyo would want to help Chinatsu regain her lands, especially if she is an ally of theirs. Would they really prefer having Yousuke on the doorstep? Or most likely she would need to provide some kind of force of her own through these ronin before anyone would be willing to join. Anyway, that might be something to explore in-game.

I think it's pretty standard to keep all the servants and peasants alive and take possession of them when taking over someone's territory, unless the servants are particularly close to their masters and likely to betray the new lord. It's not likely any samurai would let themselves be taken prisoner, and if they are, they would usually be killed, although given the option of death/capture/switching sides Yousuke could have picked up a few ex-Kobayashi samurai.

I imagine my character's family would be living in the stronghold/castle/big house (whichever) and involved in the holding off Yousuke's forces, since they are going to be the second highest ranked family in the domain, after the Kobayashi. Kind of possible to have non-close family elsewhere I suppose, I will think about it but it's not too much of a big deal...

OK, I think my character and Kana would get along pretty well - they have similar values. Who is Kana's father?

Revenge is a dish best served cold in a cracked pot, right?

Right I have a bunch of ideas and I just need to find time today in between work to get them into a profile.

Kato
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Person of Interest Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Unicorn Luv on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:30 am

A combination of Yousuke's rep, the rumors surrounding him as having inhuman strength and possessing those in his rank that are much the same, and the lack of benefit. You can't expect an ally to take back your whole province for you and then give it back, they're an ally not a fool, they'd be better off taking it for themselves if they even go after it in the first place.

Yeah don't underestimate the human desire for survival, plus Yousuke's known for convincing speeches, he wouldn't shame or admonish anyone for wanting to live, offer them a different way of life, that sort of thing. I think he'd get a few Samurai who would turn. Not all of them though.

Like I said i'm going to adapt her, the previous rendition of this rp had the loyal retainer as her father, so I'm changing that and a few things about her. Not sure her values are going to stay the same as she's pretty free spirited so saying she values honor is kinda far fetched. She's gonna change some, but have the same genuine kind girl vibe.

edit: I'm so tired i need to sleep, but at least i finished mapping yousuke's bio, i had no idea what I was gonna do with him I had him figured out when I first made him but it's been so long that I've forgotten and now I've had to make something else up.

Unicorn Luv
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tako on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Hello all!

So this roleplay caught my eye when going through things and I'd be very much interested in making an attempt to make a character. I do have two questions on the material before I try and hop into things as well as possibly more questions later on in character creation. So first of I have two main character ideas though the one I'd be wanting to use would be a character who uses witchcraft. Given that I would be allowed to make such a character in the first place I'd like to ask how you would like me to work this out as either having my caster be yokai or a human (And which side this could fit better on). My second question would be asking on once again if this was allowed is there any specific way you would like me to tailor things to the lore.

Tako
Member for 7 years
Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!