Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Ways to Kill a Roleplay

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

What is the most effective way to kill a roleplay?

Metagame.
2%
Godmod.
19%
Argue.
6%
Cybersex.
7%
Use unbalanced characters.
4%
Use uninteresting characters.
6%
Use txt-tlk.
11%
Use a style inconsistent with the current play.
3%
Use Mary Sue characters.
7%
Use stock characters.
0%
Use stock storylines.
1%
Fail to play the character.
6%
Fail to engage potential players.
5%
Force actions upon other players.
7%
Ignore actions made by other players.
12%
Mix Out of Character (OOC) and In Character (IC).
2%
Talk OOC in the roleplay.
2%

Total votes : 615

Ways to Kill a Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:32 am

Explanations shouldn't be necessary for most of these, but do feel free to ask what any of them mean before voting. If I'm missing something, let me know. Otherwise, what're everyone's feelings on these things?

It'd also be nice to spread this poll around, so we can get enough feedback to produce some valid results. :P
Last edited by Remæus on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ludwig von Mises, The Theory of Money and Credit wrote:Perpetual vigilance on the part of the citizens can achieve what a thousand laws and dozens of alphabetical bureaus with hordes of employees never have and never will achieve: the preservation of a sound currency.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:47 pm

There needs to be an "All of the above" option. It's killing braincells trying to think of just one. They're all so gruesome...
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ryand-Smith on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:04 pm

God Modding, because the rest can be forgeven. I mean I AM T3h GODZORS!!one. is the worst.

Ryand-Smith
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HAL on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:04 pm

Two

HAL
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:15 pm

Teh Eric wrote:Fail to engage potential players.

Was the vote I made.
I have to be honest though, it was something I struggled with. As I'm sure you know all of these are appropriate and accurate assessments of most failed roleplay. None of which are anything I like to deal with, and in most cases things I avoid.

I haven't done any RPing on here, though I do my best to keep up, because things move so quickly, which is a vote I also would have made. When there are multiple players and one returns to the thread to find thirty-five new posts between two players that have completely ignored the movement/interaction of/with the missing players. But that's just because I am a full time student, part time employee and girlfriend (which often feels like a full time occupation).

Other than that, I would have a hard time listing one to ten in reference to a topic like this. Eric, you have your work cut out for you.

Good luck.
; )

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:01 pm

My vote goes for the second choice, but my personal most hated would be the last two on that list. Nothing on this planet kills my roleplaying mood more than some people walking on in mid-RP and talking OOC without the slightest bit of thought whatsoever. And when it ends up being inane or some obvious question already answered a million times (Which it usually is one of those two a good lot), I want to start smashing skulls in. >_<

But yeah. Godmodding ruins everything. And the unfortunate reality of godmodding is its one of the more subjective things on that entire list. Usually godmodding is followed by an extensive argument on what constitutes godmodding, what bounds are where and who can do what, and then lots of disagreement, most of which devoid of value.

Kouketsu
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Treize Khushrenada on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:16 pm

My vote went to Argue. See: AnimeMetro.

Treize Khushrenada
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:31 pm

All of these are ways to kill an RP, so I went with my personal choice: forcing actions on another player.

Overpower, god modding, yadda, I can deal with that. You adapt. On occasion, I've actually had fun with it -- this being Rain's first arch-nemesis, Munician, from the GWC days. It was a particular joy to know that, no matter how badly I stomped his ass, he'd always keep me occupied.

Retarded speech I can get around.

What I cannot by any possible means stand, is when people presume to know what one of my characters will do. Zhelir is perhaps the only character that anyone crappy enough could possibly predict, and even in that instance, it drives me insane that they try. Rain, Chrono, and Hax are all highly complex characters, of which no one but myself knows the full story.
STAVE: Commala-come-ki,
There's a time to live and one to die.
With your back against the final wall
Ya gotta let the bullets fly.

RESPONSE: Commala-come-ki!
Let the bullets fly!
Don't 'ee mourn for me, my lads
When it comes my day to die.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:49 pm

I agree with Zhelir on that last point. Having another assume they know all about one of my characters is incredibly annoying. I've kept my characters very closely entwined in a history of role play that has guided their paths and influenced their motives and thoughts. I've attempted to post an enormous history plot for my most complex character, Sinful Soul, but even after writing several pages of history it would only be scratching the surface of all his major life experiences which have shaped him. The amount of complexity put into our main characters deserves more respect than to be simply "predicted." If anyone thinks they can control my characters accurately, they're among my most despised role players.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel Faile on Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:17 pm

My vote went to failure to engage rpers. I do believe that we have enough, but four or five role players, and not even ones that are all that skilled are not enough to keep the roleplays that we have going on alive.

Its just so difficult when there is no new life to the world. I mean, Stitch and Midnight are most welcome players as well as Ryand, but beyond that...

Gabriel Faile
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:44 am

Acting like a jackass and god modding throughout the entire fucking RP ruins it for everyone because one person controls the entire RP and no body else has the ability to influence the RP at all and lead it into what it's supposed to be. RP is a group effort, not a one man thing. So my choice is God MOdding as far as votes for the best way to bring RP down.

Alucroas
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Clash on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:03 am

OOC chatter is the grand evil.

Clash
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mia Siserae on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:30 pm

Arguing seemed to kill a lot of good RPGs for me

Mia Siserae
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lance_Shepard on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:34 pm

All things that kill an RP mood. Someone Using a style thats inconsistent with whats going on around them. That kills me every time.

Lance_Shepard
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shen long on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:37 pm

I think I'll have to pull 'Force actions upon others' into the lead here and give it a third hit. All are incredibly destructive to an RP, some more than others ... the only reason I chose the one I did is because I, personally, used to do it. I know, I know ... embarassing. Keep in mind I'm talking about like, my first couple RP's *cough Close To The Ground *cough, but they still turned out really well.

I was reading it again the other week. WOW. I think I pretty much used to do all of those things. I would have kicked my own butt lol.
Thank God for good RP'ers around me!

shen long
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:40 pm

Treize Khushrenada wrote:My vote went to Argue. See: AnimeMetro.

Seconded.

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

What?!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hilde on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Oh man, it was a toss up between those damn Mary Sue/Gary Lou idiots and Godmod. But I guess they're kind of one in the same, aren't they?

Hilde
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:02 pm

There's nothing I hate more than a character knowing all the answers. It makes me want to crush somebody when somebody my character doesn't know calls her name out.

aeleon
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby T3h-W1ng on Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:23 pm

Arguing is a pain in my ass. As far as god moding goes...I've had one central character for almost 10 years. I've been considered a godmodder before, cuz of all the stuff my char can do. Funny thing is, that it's all happened in RPs...so do I consider that god modding? Honestly, it's really hard to determine that. Most times though, stupid is as stupid does.

In other words, if they're godly and stupid...I'd call that god modding. Lol, but I sound like such a prick when I say that. "If you're stupid, and won't die you're god modding." May sound like a prick, but I stick by that.

Peace,

T3h_W1n&

T3h-W1ng
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edge on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:37 pm

So many choices! I can definatly vouch for some of worst ways to kill off an RP. But you forgot long absent memebers, THAT kills more RPGs then AIDS, Cancer, and alien-zombie infestations put together.

And now for the weather.

Oh, and well written cyber sex should be written as a plus.

Edge
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.