Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

What are some of your major themes?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

What are some of your major themes?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CutestWitch on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 am

When writing stories or creating RPs or characters, what are some themes that you use often?

For me it's the themes of Unconditional Love and Loving your Enemies.

In most of my stories the main antagonists are rarely defeated in a final battle to the death with the protagonists. Even though those do happen, the villains are usually defeated in a non-violent way, usually by the kindness and loving nature of the heroes. This is because I feel like we don't see enough of it now and days. Yeah... Non-violent solutions do happen, especially in stories for young kids, but there isn't enough it especially in stories for older kids and young adults. Its usually here is are enemy. He is bad. We have to annihilate him. And that is entertaining. And I want to make stories that teaches the power of not being violent while still being entertaining for older kids.

I try my best to put this in characters I make for rps (even though I haven't rped much on here yet). My villains are usually misguided and lonely people. While my heroes are kind and gentle. Even once in awhile I'll play a character who is not this, but usually this is what they are.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CutestWitch
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: What are some of your major themes?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brat Prince on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:19 pm

I've only created two roleplays on here and really the only theme in both of them is not knowing, the characters not knowing what is happening what is going on and they have to discover it and how will they handle it. I also tend to have more of open world rps where there is a bit of plot but the majority of the story is told by the character's backgrounds and how they act, do they all team up for the main goal I have set for the roleplay and how do they go about doing it or do they go free for all each person doing their own thing to help or hinder others.

As for characters most of them have some kind of tragic backstory making them more of a serious character with a few that are almost on the total opposite side of the spectrum being very hyper and fun loving. I also like having one thing that they are really good at and usually some tool that helps them with it but at the same time something that can hinder them. As an example I am in this space rp where my character is the engineer and really good at it too and has a robotic arm and eye that helps him with it however he is ADHD and dyslexic which can interfere at times making him take longer to do something.
I am the Vampire Lestat, the Brat Prince.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Brat Prince
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:05 am

One theme I like is...

Redemption

Usually, I have characters that hold some kind of wrong that they need to right. May be some unfinished business that they come back from the dead in order to finish. They have to fight off complacency and fears.

Self-Sacrifice

Never had the chance thus far, but this is one that I really like. Characters that go beyond thinking for themselves, and willing to risk it all for the greater good.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saarai on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:12 am

I enjoy themes of deconstruction. Meaning I enjoy inverting subverting different cliches and attitudes in my works. Showing people how bad war can be, if not during war itself, maybe after. Deconstructing feminist opinions on women and men.

Inverting and subverting stereotypes about different races.

I also have a very big love of allowing a greater good to triumph over good, even if it means the "bad guy" wins.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Saarai
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solo Wing Pixy on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:22 pm

One theme I like quite a lot is having someone who was or is a hero of sorts end up becoming the villain or antagonist, for varying reasons. The single greatest villian in comic history, in my opinion, is Ozymandias, from Watchmen. A vigilante hero turned multimillionaire businessman bent on solving the larger issues in the world, he kills millions to unite the world and prevent nuclear war. The other heroes arrive, too late to stop him, but they realize they can't expose his plan either, as then millions would have died for nothing.

On the other side of the coin, I really like a good villain turned hero or anti-hero. The heel-face turn of Darth Vader to save Luke in Return of the Jedi probably one of the greatest scenes ever. Bonus points if the anti-hero is still a bit of a dick.

Connected to that, I also really like when the hero and villain team up to fight an even greater threat, like in the Shadow of Revan expansion to Star Wars: The Old Republic. There's just something badass about two opposing forces setting aside their differences to work on a mutual goal, even if they go back to fighting eachother just as soon as it's done.

The last, and probably my favorite theme in fiction and roleplaying, would be the corruption of innocence. I don't mean a good guy going bad, but rather the loss of innocence in characters who go from living a sheltered life to being thrown into the real world and being told to deal with it. This sort of "forged in fire" development is, I think, really interesting. A good example would be Fallout 3, where the protagonist is sent out into the nuclear wasteland in search of their father after living their whole life in the mostly safe nuclear bunker. Depending on how you play, the protagonist can end up radically different from how they began, which I think is a really cool dynamic for developing characters.
We drink to him as comrade must
But it's still the same old story
A coward goes from dust to dust
A hero from dust to glory.

Modesty wrote:Where originality comes in is finding new ways to explore the things that already exist to us. Suddenly red becomes crimson, ruby, scarlet, cherry, carnelian, vermilion, cardinal, sienna, maroon, sorrel, rojo, sanguine. Suddenly red can become a metaphor, a picture, a symbol.

Solo Wing Pixy
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VincentRayne on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:59 am

i've only done to RPs that i used as a basis for my novels. both of them were about "picking a side". the good guys and bad guys weren't just black and white. it was about choosing which side you felt really had justified morals. and it was hard because both sides were relateable. it would only be further in the story where the antagonist would finally start to really materialize and if you were on their side to begin with then, of course that has some nice ole internal conflict going on for the characters.

the best way, i found, to have this sort of conflict happen is through war. each side is fighting for what they believe in. it's up to the characters to see which side shares common interest or at least seems to be the victim (if the character is a good guy, which they normally are). the side of the war that just had their people of a town slaughtered would be seen as the victims. but yet they are the people being led by the antagonist themselves as well. i like seeing the characters evolve through choice and how they handle non-black and white situations.

VincentRayne
Member for 10 years
Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Promethean Inspiration Person of Interest Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!