Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

What Bothers You About Fanfiction?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

What Bothers You About Fanfiction?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Thu May 20, 2010 12:32 pm

What bothers me the most about fanfiction is when people insert their original characters into it.

Most writers (including myself, although I suck at writing) get the urge to do it, thinking it would really spice up the story, but 99.99 times out of 10 it turns out awful. I have read maybe two fanfics ever where original characters were added and it still turned out good, even then, the original characters were not the author's original characters.

Don't even get me started when the original characters are also Mary-Sues.

So. What bothers you about fanfiction?
Shimahamaru says:
WTF! STAY IN THERE!!!!

Shimahamaru says:
*stuffs character in*

Cadnumber: 12
Pseudoletter: Chi

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MidnightFlight
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: What Bothers You About Fanfiction?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imehal on Thu May 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Awful, unexplained plots - canon humble and modest girl gets a make-over, stoic or thoroughly evil character becomes 'good' in a matter of seconds because of a pretty face - and bad grammar and layout.

If you're going to imitate someone else's hard work, at least put some effort into it, not just use their characters to enact weird and unrealistic plots in three chapters, when really, you need to expand and explain.
Gasmask: Alright. Either your CD is corrupted, which'd explain the crashing and odd stuffs.
Imehal: Or?
Gasmask: Your windows really, really, really hates icewind dale.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Imehal
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Thu May 20, 2010 12:39 pm

I couldn't have said it better myself. xD A summary for a fanfiction can tell you a lot about that fanfiction. If these people don't capitalize or use proper grammar, if their summaries mention OC's, if in their summaries they assure us that the story isn't as bad as it sounds... I just pass right over it.

The problem is, there are so few good fanfics based on my standards that I really have to hunt for them.

MidnightFlight
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DemiKara on Thu May 20, 2010 12:52 pm

Just sort of ending it, right in the middle of everything. Or doing it with all dialogue and no description. Yes it's wonderful to know what' they're saying, but what the heck are they doing?

And really short ones that end it before there's anything to really read.
Patcharoo says: She's the squishiest in the game...

DemiKara
Member for 11 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Donated! Contributor Historian Completionist Maiden Voyager Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colyo on Thu May 20, 2010 12:58 pm

It depends on tastes. Let's not forget that a very large portion of fanfiction readers are drooling pre-teens who absolutely fall for Mary Sue crap. I had that problem with my first fanfic, being a new writer. Well, it wasn't a Mary Sue, but there was a lot of unneccesary and predictable combat.

In the sequel however, actually having some experience and skill to work with, I developed the characters, a story, and gave a reasonable balance of combat and downtime befitting with the plot. I immediately noticed a change in review quality, and even have some of my favourite fanfiction authors leaving reviews. My inspiration is my beta reader, for gods sake.

Anyway, my point is that there's a lot of bad fanfiction: I mean, at least 95% of it is craptacular for all of the reasons stated above and more. I think the trick is not judging fanfiction in general based on the crap, but being lucky enough to stumble upon the actual good writes out there... Just remember that anyone can write fanfiction and not have to be approved by a publisher first.

Imehal says: Yes, Kendra is Kazura's lover and the toddler is their baby. They've been going out for two years.
Patch says: Epic plot reveal!
Patch says: ... Is Kendra part Saiyan?!
Colyo says: FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z

Colyo
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Katharos on Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm

How quickly it degenerates into romance. Not that I have anything against romance, but truly even if they use the original characters, most of the time they warp them into this shallow hulls of what they are supposed to be...
Also how mushy sometimes it turns out to be. It seems they can't get past the whole "i love you" phase.
I write to live.
Every sentence an exultation of freedom.
Every word a shout of jubilation.
I write to live.

My fingers fly over the keyboard negating the death that follows me.
I write to live.
One day they will say.
She wrote. She was here.

I write to live.
Remember me.

Katharos
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Thu May 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Wonderful. <3

I'd say I haven't been that lucky. I found five good fanfics. Two are unfinished and not being updated, which is sad, really, because they're absolutely amazing. These are stories that deserve to be finished.

MidnightFlight
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AdaRPG on Thu May 20, 2010 1:27 pm

At the risk of looking completely stupid, can someone define fan fiction for me?
Follow my blog about my husband's medical condition and my tweets for updates on it.
------------------------------------
Character List to Come Later

AdaRPG
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MidnightFlight on Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Fanfiction is basically when people write stories in a defined universe from a certain media, be it a book/movie/game/whatever else, using the characters from the media they're writing about.

For example, if I were to write a story about... umm... Full Metal Alchemist. That'd be fanfiction. If I were to write a story about Harry Potter, that'd be fanfiction.

I'm not very good at explaining things, sorry. ^_^;

MidnightFlight
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dark Star on Sun May 30, 2010 5:01 am

What bothers me about Fan-Fictions you so...? Well to be honest it lacks originality and tend to be some sappy love romance between there made up character, and some manga character of sorts... Well honestly everyone who began writing when they where young probably did some sort of Fan-Fiction.... But I admit some can be humorous from time to time...

Dark Star
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mindscrew Min-Min on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:03 pm

I hate when fanfic authors write yaoi pairings that don't make any sense. I don't have a problem with yaoi itself and in fact I love it, but if you want to write it, either find some characters that are actually gay in-universe or invent your own story and have all the yaoi you want, but don't pair off Harry and Remus or some crap like that just for your own twisted satisfaction.
Want to know more? Read the book to find out.

There's a strange man sitting on the sofa munchiwunching on lomticks of toast!

Mindscrew Min-Min
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hanagumori on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Mindscrew Min-Min wrote:I hate when fanfic authors write yaoi pairings that don't make any sense. I don't have a problem with yaoi itself and in fact I love it, but if you want to write it, either find some characters that are actually gay in-universe or invent your own story and have all the yaoi you want, but don't pair off Harry and Remus or some crap like that just for your own twisted satisfaction.

This is my reason exactly! Hahaha. Thank you.

Hanagumori
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fabricati.Diem on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Fan fictions are inherently distasteful to me because it is, at heart, plagiarism and a decisive lack of creativity. One can, with a great amount of talent and presence of mind, overcome these obstacles, but it's simply So Hard to do that with taste...

First of all, plagiarism. You're stealing someone else's characters, setting, ideas, and stories, and in order to make anything of literary worth you would need to portray All of it with an accuracy and style befitting the piece you're writing from. This is especially difficult--that's why we make it bad etiquette here, after all! Power playing, godmoding, manipulating a character that doesn't belong to you, that you probably don't and won't understand as they are now, were, or will be. There's so much detail and thought put into a story, I can't see anyone but the original author being able to write a story based off a certain setting without a great amount of thought, research, and planning.
Though of course, warping an author's work is often the sole reason people fanfic at all! They do it to twist the characters, events and setting someone else labored to craft to fit their own desires, fantasies, and whims. This irks me perhaps the most.

Second, though, creativity. All too often people decide to fanfic first because they like a theme, or a character, and want to emulate that feeling the story gave them. The problem is, little to nothing can come from that kind of story; they're only trying to reproduce what the author has already made, and due to a lack of experience with the details of the setting, the interference of other hopes or desires they have for the characters or events, and their lack of creativity or originality (by using someone else's story, characters, etc.), it's all stale and befuddled from the start. You get something more akin to a wordy day dream.

People Can surpass this, with research, thought, and careful planning. The less you mess with the original roles, statuses and positions of the characters and the details of the story the better. But frankly, I don't see why you'd want to. Let the authors keep their work, and make your own.
Only those with their feet on rock can build castles in the air.

Fabricati.Diem
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dib on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:35 am

I think inserting your own alter-ego or other character is okay, as long as the story doesn't revolve around that character... and there really shouldn't be that many new characters. One is the limit.

What bothers me is when the characters are completely OOC. They don't follow the same speech-patterns and they think/say things that the characters would NEVER say or think. I mean, if you have two characters that hate each other and you want to make them fall in love or something, that's ok, but you should do so in a way that the characters don't completely change who they are for no reason. There has to be a transition. The characters have to stay themselves.

Dib
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheDarthEz on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:27 am

Mary-Sues and people who are snobs (i.e. anybody who isn't flexible or considerate enough to work with any of the other writers in the RP). I had a few issues with some smaller RPs I was a part of where people would just not communicate and skirted the bounds of G-moding and making it difficult for the story to progress.
"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally." -Darth Maul

TheDarthEz
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Queen of Ice on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:33 pm

Meh, I'll read anything as long as the writing's good. I don't really care about the absolute and total mutilation of the story and characters unless they're characters I particularly loved. I'm usually a sucker for the cheap romantic crap people love to churn out, too. xD

The only thing with me is it has to be good writing and the story has to be well thought out. I hate reading stories with nebulous plots, no description, etc.- the things I don't like in normal writing. I really don't judge fanfics much differently than normal writing unless, like I said before, it messes a little too much with a character I like.
<3

Queen of Ice
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MissNeonNightmares on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:00 am

I'm just gonna say this first; I do not mind OC's. As long as they aren't Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu characters and don't take over the plot. I absoluetly hate it when the fanfiction is *centered* around the OC and written through their points of views. If the character is blended in with the ensemable and don't steal the spotlight from the main character(s), I'm okay with it.

I HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE when people split up a canon shipping and insert their Mary-Sue character for the character's love interest! Nooooo! For example: I LOVE EDWIN from Fullmetal Alchemist! I ship it so hard, and then people bring in their OC's and split them up, and half the time the OC's are Mary-Sues and total jerks. ESPECIALLY to Winry, my gosh. But why would a character fall for another if the latter character has a terrible personality? Especially if said character can't help but burst into tears every two minutes.

Another is when the grammar and spelling are terrible and the descriptions are vague.

I think fanfiction is fine, as long as you have a disclaimer (on the topic of plagiarism)
Last edited by MissNeonNightmares on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissNeonNightmares
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:44 am

Using other peoples characters.

That's pretty much the worst thing for me. I have no other hatred for fanfiction.

'But what if they can play the character as the original creator wanted'

Well that's all well and good, but what if they took one of my characters I use to roleplay and started using them themselves?

I'd be pretty offended, regardless of skill or quality. That's my character. I made it. Sure its an 'AU' or whatever, but its still my character. Anyone who disagrees with me I take it gives full permission for fanfictions to be made about their characters?
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ninja Vanish on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Just what explained: awfully unoriginal characters plots played out by players "inspired by the world of the canon". I definitely think that certain fan fictions work better than others... You need a large and detailed world to be able to create in.

Ninja Vanish
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Serenade- on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:39 pm

I don't dislike all of them, but for the most part I just can't stand them. A big one is that people can't get the canon characters down at all. They play them all wrong - or just right for their made up characters. Another huge reason I don't like them much is they tend to pair up canon x canon with gay (hate the word yaoi) pairings that I could never see the two getting together. It's almost like how people attempt to pair Draco and Harry together - to me that's not right. I've grown to just..not like fan fiction.

Serenade-
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!