What kind of Roleplay do all of you want?

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

What kind of Roleplay should I make?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 am

Fantasy. I love swords and shields.. Don't forget magic!
9%
Sci-Fi. Laser guns. Is there anything more I have to say?
No votes
Other. (Please specify in a post.)
14%
Abstain. (You do not vote.)
No votes
-More detailed categories below! You can re-vote! Please do not vote for this one!-
5%
Fantasy focused on Romance.
32%
Fantasy focused on Action.
5%
Fantasy focused on the Plot line!
32%
Sci-Fi focused on Horror.
No votes
Sci-Fi focused on Action.
5%
Sci-fi focused on the Plot line!
No votes

Total votes : 22

What kind of Roleplay do all of you want?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:17 am

(I apologize in advance if this is the wrong location to place this. I just wasn't so sure as to put this in either the "Out of Character" section or the "Main Lobby" section and when in doubt I flipped a coin. If this is in the wrong place then PLEASE move it. Thank you. :shock: )

After all the Roleplays I have seen in all sorts of places, I can assure you that I know many, many different things.. One of those things is to make a Roleplay which the majority of people will enjoy. However, I must admit, after my hiatus I see both new and old faces here. So the question comes to mind..

What do all of you want out of a Roleplay? Yes I know what I want, but I don't know what you want. It shouldn't even take much out of your time either. Just vote n' leave a post saying why you voted for what you did. I'm out to please as many people as I can with my rather creative mind, but how can I do that if I don't know what anyone wants? There are several categories to choose from but my personal favorites are Fantasy and Sci-Fi. If you MUST ask me to do some sort of realistic Roleplay at least tell me what kind you want. (Since there are lots of them.) Same goes with any other types of Roleplays. In fact after you vote why don't you tell me precisely what you want through a post? I mean if a bunch of people want Vampires then I'll make Vampires an important part of the plot. If people want Romance or Action or just a general Sci-Fi/Fantasy Roleplay then I'll do that. It's really all up to you what this rather imaginative brain decides to write about.

I'd personally prefer a generalized Fantasy Roleplay. Probably something to do with a boy who becomes a knight or a tale about rescuing some princess. You know, really classic stuff.
I only teach those willing to learn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Brovo
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: What kind of Roleplay do all of you want?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imehal on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:40 am

Awww, I decided to go with my gut instinct and clicked my favourite, fantasy with a focus on romance, with fantasy focused on plot a close second. Now, this doesn't mean to say that I want the story to revolve around the romance because even I can admit that that kind of story is overly done and often very dull. No, I mean things like the Night Angel Trilogy, where some of the main character's motivation comes from devotion or love to another.

But, I'm getting sidetracked! Firstly, thank you Brovo for taking a vested interest in the roleplayers and I will jump on your little bandwagon and say definitely to swords, shields, magic and princesses, because it's good fun, let's face it! There's a damn good reason that the knight/princess formula works and now I'm itching to share out my Knight idea, but I shouldn't, as I have already organised to do it with another person, though I haven't heard much from them in at least a month now.

Whilst I love the simple plot at the end of your post, it can be rather difficult to have multiple roleplayers in a roleplay like that, although if written well and proper of course, one can do much with a simple thing, though I always need good plot to join a roleplay, as I enjoy developing my characters to fit into the plot and style of the world and roleplay and I am quite unable to do that if their is not much plot. Saying this, I'm quite up for a generic roleplay, and after I've finished my 5,500 words of work, perhaps, I will join you!
Gasmask: Alright. Either your CD is corrupted, which'd explain the crashing and odd stuffs.
Imehal: Or?
Gasmask: Your windows really, really, really hates icewind dale.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Imehal
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:51 am

Thank you for your opinion and vote Imehal. It is nice to know that some people will spend the time to write a well detailed post about their most beloved passion. I can see what you mean by a Romantic influence. I totally agree that a plot line based on Romance alone is doomed to fail, because it falls apart under it's own expectations. I like classic things, I'll totally admit that, and I'm glad that you would like a generic RP as well. I realize that the whole "Knight's tale" might be just a bit hard for a large group of Roleplayers to participate in, but then again, that's why I also suggested the "Rescue the Princess" basic theme. (Because I think just about an infinite number of Roleplayers could join in that and be entertained.)

Also, five thousand five hundred words of work? *Whistles appreciatively* I see few people even try for one thousand. It's nice to know that there are still quality Roleplayers who take time to detail and appreciate their own work so as to make it that much more enjoyable for everyone else. I hope it is finished soon, and when it is, that it maybe publically viewable for my reading pleasure. Because my eyes need something aside from the brick walls of uncreative text that I have become so accustomed to over the past few months. ^_^

Brovo
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imehal on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:08 am

I don't mean to disappoint you, but the excessive amount of words is for my University degree, so I hardly imagine you're going to want to be reading it any time soon, unless you have a vested interest in why George Bush Jnr's foreign policy was not his own!

However, I do try my best to write well detailed and long when I'm writing creatively, as there is often a lot I have to say, though I haven't quite gotten up the courage yet to start my own roleplay on here, partially because of said evil workload! But as to your reply, excellent! I am currently in five roleplays, but I'm sure I can squeeze in another one if the story was right.

Did you have any ideas in mind yourself, or were you perhaps waiting to ascertain the level of interest before thinking deeper into the matter?

Apologies for hijacking your thread!

Imehal
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:18 am

Just waiting for more replies. I don't want to come up with something massive and intricate if all of a sudden a swathe of posts blows my mind and washes away any chances for my future plans to work. I'll just see what the community in general desires first. Also, yeah, I don't think I want to read that. Good luck with that though Imehal. I'm not in college (Thank god) but I probably will be in a couple years (God dammit) and I'm not looking forward to all the work that is going to be involved. x.x Anyways good luck. : )

Brovo
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Redd on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:29 am

Well, seeing as I voted I felt obligated to reply. I like Pretty much everything under -More detailed categories below! You can re-vote! Please do not vote for this one!-

I'm more so into well thought out things instead of stuff just made up over night. I think well thought out and detailed things are better then just off of the top of your head, but don't get me wrong. Some stuff that comes from right off the top of your head works just fine. Needless to say without filling up over eight paragraphs of what I like..I like pretty much everything under.
-More detailed categories below! You can re-vote! Please do not vote for this one!- Which is why I picked it..I don't know why, but I did. Oh well. And nice to meet you. I'm more then likely one of the new names around here.
And so with winning the fight and everything over, Deadpool began to dance. Image

Redd
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:39 am

Well then hello there DatGuy. Pleased to make your acquaintance. We will see how everyone else votes, but I'm pleased to see that you are so flexible! Also no worries. I typically spend a couple days writing out everything and double checking not only for spelling and grammar errors but for plot line holes and missing Rules n' the like. So you can expect a quality Roleplay from yours truly. After all, I have five stars in my name! Well for now anyway. I bet somebody is going to rate one of my posts low sooner or later. xD

Brovo
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:28 am

I prefer realistic role-play, because the characters tend to be a lot more in dpeth, because we can relate to the situations and surroundings through past expreiences, making the charcters more real. if you understand what i mean?
i love doing all sorts of RP, fanatasy - mainly fiction based.
but realistic RP catches my attention more, because the characters make more sense to me.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eternity on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:53 am

I have multiple favorites when it comes to genres. First off, I'm usually open with mostly any type of genre, as long as it has a very interesting catch to it. I'm always wanting something creative and inventive.

-Fantasy/Modern: Based around action and romance:
I love to roleplay a modern world where something is lurking, hiding, or being conducted. And I'm not talking vampires, because they are totally overplayed. I usually like to incorporate new ideas, or multiple ideas, to create something unique and original.
One roleplay I'm doing is about the Greek gods, kind of. It's about how Hades is deciding to take over the domain Zeus rules over. And he's doing it by building up a mass army/weapon using the strong souls captured by harpies, sirens, etc. etc...
The only catch is, it is the year 2009, and it's in the city (we made up a city because it's easier to create it freely). And he needs a queen before he can truly take his Throne.

-Realistic: Either based upon the fact of illness/disability, or forbidden meeting.
I like to do a mature realistic roleplay, and usually I try to incorporate flaws into my characters. Always trying to make it interesting, and no one in life is perfect. So usually I try to play in some disease or mental break. Like I have one character in a Runaway roleplay who fears she has brain-cancer.
I played another roleplay, a romance, about a blind man who was depressed after the car wreck that got him in such a state, who fell in love with his psychologist.
Plus I love a good mafia-romance styled roleplay too.

I'm so odd, lol.
One who knows nothing, can understand nothing.

Eternity
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chulance on Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 am

My favorite type of roleplay is Superhero Roleplay or A RP based off my favorite shows/books ect. My favorite is Superhero roleplays so fun various abilties and things.
Have you ever dreamed of being extraordinary, being able to wield a super-human ability? Tissue Regeneration, Teleportation, Electricity Manipulation? What If I told you could, the way to obtain these abilities is simple. Click the Links.
OOC:http://www.roleplaygateway.com/heroes-heroes-villains-t29924.html
IC:http://www.roleplaygateway.com/heroes-heroes-villains-t29956.html

Chulance
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Wow. I'm getting so much information! Sheesh it hasn't even been twenty four hours yet already I have several votes and a few posts! Thanks all of you for giving your opinions! The more I have the better equipped I can be to give you EXACTLY what you want! It's great to see the entire community so active and so willing to just take a few precious minutes out of their time to tell me what they want. Thanks guys! You're the best! :)

Edit: I'll start making a Roleplay tonight if nobody else posts. It looks like Fantasy with a focus on Romance is going to win this vote. I don't mind it, but don't expect it to be brainlessly devoted to Romance. There will be other sub plots and goals going on. Just the main focus will be on Romantic encounter(s). Hmm.. To do a Bard's tale or a tale about a random adventurer who finds love or what.. Hum dee deedle dee..

Brovo
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 pm

I voted for "-More detailed categories below! You can re-vote! Please do not vote for this one!-" 'cause it seemed funny at the time, do have mercy over my soul; it's been about 35 hours living off just tasteless yogurt and water with lemon (not lemonade! It's just bitter!) So yeah... Anyhoo, I'd go for fantasy as well, plot > romance, in my opinion, but it's not to say romance should be ignored. On the contrary, romance can prove to add depth to characters and make for odd relationships outside of that one.

Mmm, yes. Let's have a fantasy roleplay.

Safisan
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Gahahaha looks like a close fight between Plot and Romance. (Fantasy) Which will win? Well, the very next vote could decide that. We will just have to see. In any event Romance and Plot will both be heavy elements, with Action being an afterthought. (Not ignored mind you, the focus just won't be on going to mount doom through an army of 600,000 Orcs.) If there is anything else you wish to mention then mention it right now. Because I've got a couple ideas for plots but if you do not mention anything directly specific, then what your idea of a Romance or Plot driven Roleplay may not be the same as my idea of a Romance or Plot driven Roleplay. Please be aware of that because it is important!

Brovo
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:27 pm

I'm kinda dry when it comes to plots. But if you'd mention something you've got, I'd love to have a read beforehand, maybe even shove my spoon in there and help change it for the better. My idea of a romance based *is* brainless love-fests where you just post about how much y'love X character. I assume it'll be more of a... Fall-in-love-with-one-of-your-fellow-princess-rescuers?

Ooh! Wouldn't it be awesome if we ended up as one huge party within the roleplay? Maybe not a party, but a group, and we'd fight together for the most part, a la Fire Emblem, if you will, where you have the tiny army going through a story.

Safisan
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:31 pm

As of 9:27 PM I declare that the Roleplay is now under works! I will send a PM to everyone who showed interest in this thread once the Roleplay is finished. Look for a Fantastic Fantasy (wordplay!) Roleplay heading your way soon. That is once I actually write out a plot line and such. I mean I have to give both a Plot line and a Romance Roleplay wrapped up in a Fantasy shell. *Sigh* I can do that. Just might be a little frustrating at times is all. I will still read responses here, and I'm glad you all took your time to vote in this poll. Know that a grand Roleplayer is now making all of you something to treasure! Assuming I can get Plot line and Romance here to not kill each other. Bad Romance! Bad! No drowning Plot line in cliche' lines! Plot line! STOP DESTROY ROMANCE WITH ACTION!

Sheesh. Pets. Anyways I'll get to work on it as soon as I can get these two to stop killing each other. Until another time, Adventurers and Murderers. ;)

Brovo
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gluttony on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:09 pm

I voted Fantasy and plot. Sadly I could not pick two. I enjoy plot heavy and romance/action heavy fantasy RP's. :lol:
I believe they can be incoporated together. Definitely they can. Romance doesn't have to take an enormous toll on the action. Inbetween and even during action scenes it can be present. Then plot is always important. The good thing about RP's though is it doesn't always turn out the way you expect. I hope that this has helped in some way. I noticed I am a little late.

Gluttony
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:15 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Roleplay you have all be awaiting for has been created. Took me a couple hours to think of a decent, simple plot that would work for both Romantics and Plot schemers but I think I have it. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself. aurora-plight-fantasy-ooc-sign-ups-t20384.html Aurora's Plight. Couldn't think of a better name. Damn you writer's block, DAMN YOU!!

Brovo
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:47 pm

I will play virtually any genre as long as the story's premise is meaningful and intriguing in some way, something that really makes me think, whether on a more profound level that I can relate to the real world or just on a level that makes me ponder the characters themselves and their actions. More than anything else, I roleplay to entertain and to be entertained and by far the most entertaining thing for me personally is to participate in a story in which both my peers and I can critically approach some meaningful topic and explore it in depth. I like stories that reflect realistic sociopolitical issues or relevant personal conflicts or better yet both.

Aside from those, however, I also like those stories that differ considerably from the norm. More abstract concepts are wonderful things, as are stories which attempt to stand out by just being different from what you usually see (Like a modern-day black comedy comes to mind as a wonderful example here). I also really like off-beat stuff, with some strange undertones that make people read it and just scratch their heads wondering what the devil is going on. Best example of that I could generate would probably be the inanimate object roleplay that was held way back at the beginning of 2008 in the chat off and on. You really want a difficult roleplaying exercise, try writing yourself playing the role of a spoon in a drawer. Yeah, the whole thing was as trippy as it sounds.

I think I have weird tastes, though, and am an outlier, so don't pay much attention here.

Kouketsu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dragonfire on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:20 pm

in my opinion the best RP possible is a superhero based rp, but set in either marvel or DC universes (preferrably Marvel) or better yet a superhero rp where one can choose a limited number of superpowers that can be any superpower he wants, and where there is alot of action against villains... otherwise an Element based rp. Who agrees with me?
check out my brand new Superhero RP forum!
http://heroworld.rpg-dynasty.com/forum.htm

Dragonfire
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:17 am

elements based RPs can be a lot to handle, but once you get your head around not pushing oyur characters limits and keeping the extent of their control "realistic" (not the right word when talking of superpowers but im sure oyu all understand) then they can be fantastic!
they're extremely enjoyable, if you ever start one up or find one with vacancies then plaese PM me Dragonfire. :)
xxx

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!