Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

What makes you the most cross in RPs?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Re: What are your rp peeves?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr Hyde on Mon May 05, 2008 3:44 pm

I agree half with both of you. People who are beginners should be helped along until they have time to gain experience. But some people just can't seem to realize how dumb their poorly spelled run-on ridden posts make them look, and need to be informed, preferably in PM.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mr Hyde
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Mon May 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Oh Mr_Hyde, I am far from calling them out in public instantaneously , I just drop a note asking them to start spelling properly, however if they continue after a few attempts at discretion. Well then I am not above shaming them in OOC asking them why they continue to write that way as it adds nothing to the Role-play and actually degrades what the rest of the people are trying to accomplish.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Mon May 05, 2008 3:57 pm

I would have to agree with Skall on his list of pet peeves.... Text-talking is my biggest peeve... It drives me up the wall when you're rping with someone and they place text-talk into it. I'll sit there for hours, trying to figure out what it means.... I'm a very literate person and I have very little understanding of the text-talk world. Yes, I use lol, roflmao, and lmao, but I know what those mean and I only use that in the chatbox or ims on yahoo and msn. They will never touch my posts in a rp.....
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us." - Marianne Williamson
ImageImageImage

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr Hyde on Mon May 05, 2008 4:29 pm

Skallagrim I think me and you would get along just fine. At least as long as there are still idiots out there that can't go a single sentence without spelling something wrong. I usually just PM them a list off all their typos. Because it gets to me.....

P.S. Love your avatar! Just can't remember what the movie was called....

Mr Hyde
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpringTimeFox on Mon May 05, 2008 4:31 pm

Skall... Are you talking about a certain someone in War of Thrones...? o.O`
hint hint

My pet peeves are as follows. I dont know how many there are but here's what I can think of...

~ Text talk- Like all the rest of you, I cant stand text talk unless, for the sake of a modern roleplay, characters are texting each other. Even then... not so much.

~ God Modding/Powerplaying and the like- Many of my roleplays have been killed by powerplayers who rip off things from naruto... how I keep letting this happen I dont know...

~ When you try to be nice to someone by letting them join, hoping you can teach them a few things, and they walk all over you, powerplaying and such. If anyone knows me, they know I'm a normally laid-back gal who lets what will happen happen. Of course, I can be a b---- when it comes to committing any of my pet-peeves of RPing.

~ People not following rules... regardless if the rule is "Your first post has to involve a juggling monkey" or not, its a rule. Follow it.

~ NARUTO ROLEPLAYERS.... I just cant stand them. They really tick me off. Naruto is... just.... stupid.... Dont get me wrong, I used to like it, but as with Spongebob, it became way too popular... I just cant stand the insurmountable mountain of crap about naruto on the web. Media ruined a perfectly fine manga series... ><

I know there are more things but like you want to read all that. :P
Now I'll be crawling back into my meek shell and try to find a roleplay.
I've been absent from this site too long. Chat needs to get fixed, I miss it.
Speak softly and carry a big stick.
That way, when they dont hear you, you can hit them in the knees.

I'm finally back. I'm terribly sorry I was gone so long.
Avatar: My girlfriend and I... Yes I'm showing off <3

SpringTimeFox
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr Hyde on Mon May 05, 2008 4:39 pm

People don't seem to get that Naruto lives in a universe where good will eventually, inevitably triumph over evil. Most of us don't play in that universe, we also don't play in a univers where your a progidy who can fight on par with someone twice as old and twice as experienced as you are. Nothing ticks me off more than someone with a 19year old character thinking their gonna own the 40year old guy whos still in excellent shape. Each has their own advantage, you can't teach old dogs new tricks, and heck if you've been doing the same thing for twice as long your going to annihilate them.

Mr Hyde
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShadowWake on Mon May 05, 2008 4:57 pm

I agree with quite a few people here:

- I hate text speak. Typos however are a different situation: having done A-level english, I know how to spell and yet still the occasional typo gets through (especially while my laptop keyboard's sticky as it is at the mo). However if the whole thing is filled with them then it starts to get irritating trying to work out what every word is meant to be.

- one-liners should stick to chat scenarios and not RPs: the idea of a role-play is that it is a developing story made with other people. Do you realise how hard it is to work with: Jenni looked at Sarah and smiled. "Thanks," she said. ? Try to use your imagination rather than relying on someone elses - it makes the RP far more interesting!

- invinsible etc. Making a character indestructible makes the RP boring. Remember, even Superman had a weakness!

Okay - rant over! ^_^

ShadowWake
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpringTimeFox on Mon May 05, 2008 5:00 pm

Yes, I agree. My characters are anywhere between 17 and 36 years of age (on average) and have REAL LIFE strengths and weaknesses.
Not made up 'ninjitsu' crap that totally owns everyone no matter what.
I could go on a seventy minute rant about Anime influencing roleplays but I'm pretty sure everyones experienced it.

SpringTimeFox
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr Hyde on Mon May 05, 2008 5:32 pm

O god don't remind me....The first place I ever did any RPing on was full of people that didn't believe god-modding existed. Of course the one person who could acually RP new the site was full of it but other than that everyone thought I was crazy. I got ticked off really fast over there with all the crap they tried to pull.

Mr Hyde
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShadowWake on Mon May 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Even in high fantasy, characters should have weaknesses. That's what makes an unrealistic scenario more real: the fact that the reader can relate to the character.

My peeve really is the one-line thing though... one a previous site I was roleplaying in, I had so many RPs destroyed by lack of imagination. I don't ask for reams and reams of text: I just like to know what the character's seeing and feeling so that I can get a better idea of them in my cotton-wool filled brain... ><

ShadowWake
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Mon May 05, 2008 6:34 pm

God-moding just kills me... in laughter that is. It makes me giggle when someone tries to make an indestructable character and does actions that don't seem right in my mind.

--Mr. Hyde, Skall's avatar is from The Princess Bride!!!!

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonwing on Mon May 05, 2008 7:04 pm

Speedfighting.

You're all familiar with it. Your character's just barely drawn their weapon, and all in one post your opponant has stabbed you, tied you to a chair, gagged you put a knife to your throat and is towing you towards a vat of lava to finish you off.

Flawless characters also tick me off. There's enough fo them on TV, do we need them in our RPs?

Oh yes, and werewolves and Vampires. The things people are calling a 'werewolf' or a 'vampire' are not werewolves and vampires. Werewolves are not angsty teens who can shift into wolves, or people whith furry ears and a tail, a werewolf is a being who turns into a huge, ruthless, bloodthirsty wolf with no higher thought at midhing (or a full moon, this is debatable). Vampireas are not angsty teens with fangs, they cannot walk in the sunlight, they cannot see themselves in mirrors, they are not super strong or fast, they're just undead people who need to survive on the blood fo the living. That's it! People have made them into supermonsters, and I smack my forehead on my keyboard whenever I see one.
(\ /)
( . .)
c(")(")
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Looking for something fun, epic, and literally fantastical? Come join up with
Xiwe - a Medieval Fantasy Adventure

Moonwing
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpringTimeFox on Mon May 05, 2008 8:17 pm

I love you, Moonwing.
*follows you around like a lovesick puppy*

You made me giggle with the speed-fighting thing. I agree totally though, its annoying.

And werewolves... I take my view on them from Werewolf- The Apocalypse in a way... I mean, a man who is a werewolf turns into a half-man half-beast creature of vicious nature. Werewolves = my favorite fantasy humanoid creature (besides minotaur, of course >< )

SpringTimeFox
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Revered Chaotic on Mon May 05, 2008 10:13 pm

My RP peeves? Easy. Fuckers that can't spell or have shitty grammar. I have enough mental problems without trying to figure out ignorance in posts.
-[Welcome to Purgatory]-
-[Revered Chaotic]
-

Revered Chaotic
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Mon May 05, 2008 11:41 pm

Werewolves are not angsty teens who can shift into wolves, or people whith furry ears and a tail, a werewolf is a being who turns into a huge, ruthless, bloodthirsty wolf with no higher thought at midhing (or a full moon, this is debatable).

You make me laugh. And this is at the contradictory of the entire sentence. Oh, and possibly brush up on your mythological creature, the werewolf. There are many names and many states in which one can be called a werewolf

Vampireas are not angsty teens with fangs, they cannot walk in the sunlight, they cannot see themselves in mirrors, they are not super strong or fast, they're just undead people who need to survive on the blood fo the living.

Again, the same. You've only one fact right and that's the whole sunlight bit. The rest is questionable depending on where you get the information; majority of times the vampires are said to have abnormal strengths and powers, but nothing like what creative roleplayers give them.

Matthias
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Mon May 05, 2008 11:51 pm

As far as txt tlk goes: I find it deplorable and have zero tolerance for it in a role play. It grinds my gears outside of role plays. I understand people have their own agency concerning how they type, but I still don't like it.

As far as vampires and werewolves: There are legends and lore abound as far as these critters are concerned. Most cultures did grant them unique powers and strengths. However, most role players to take the strengths only. And to usually make them massive horn dogs that cry and whine and emo and mope while worrying about their love lives...which really isn't granted to them in most legends. Also, they had a lot of fun weaknesses that most people skip right over. Such as vampires having to count every knot in a fisherman's net, or having to count every seed spilled on the ground, etc. etc.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonwing on Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 am

I agree mythology is subject to the author's imagination, and I'm sorry I came across so broad, I meant to be more referring to people who turn creatures (especially vampires and werewolves) Into god-moding supermonsters who are nigh impossible to destroy, or just a dramatic accessory aspect to a character (ie: fangs and bloodlust to make a character seem more impresive). THAT gets on my nerves

Moonwing
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crowley on Tue May 06, 2008 7:15 am

Moonwing wrote:I agree mythology is subject to the author's imagination, and I'm sorry I came across so broad, I meant to be more referring to people who turn creatures (especially vampires and werewolves) Into god-moding supermonsters who are nigh impossible to destroy, or just a dramatic accessory aspect to a character (ie: fangs and bloodlust to make a character seem more impresive). THAT gets on my nerves

Yes, there's no one way that vampires and werewolves should be portrayed, but they do easily fall into the categories of invincible beings, or cliches.

Crowley
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Tue May 06, 2008 2:35 pm

Another thing that REALLY grinds my gears is when you're in charge of something, whether it's because you're the GM or you've just been given control over a specific event, race, whatever...and you make things as clear as possible about a particular event, race, whatever...and somebody tries to argue with you over it. You say 'no,' and they say 'but (insert lame excuse)!' This seems to happen a lot. Creativity is what makes a game, but a game with absolutely no bounds on it whatsoever regarding who can do/be/eat/kill/destroy what, then there's just no story. It becomes nothing but a rambling bit of junk and phails epically.

So...yeah. People that try to force their way in a game when they've been repeatedly told 'no' annoy me.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hallik on Tue May 06, 2008 2:47 pm

Well as for werewolves I am a fanatic... yes I'm a nerd.
I agree with the "I'm going to do it my way no if's an's or fucking butts."
Although if I join an RP I ask about it, you might remember this from when I first joined FT, I asked about werewolves and had my own mythology to it. And I like it, but I didn't know there was another race similar to it (Canim). I didn't pursue it instead I went with it.

One other pet peeve that I have is that sometimes RP characters go completely unrealistic. I was in an RP a long time ago and basically a regular human was tossed around like a wet sack and no broken bones. Of course he was tossed around by a giant but thats beside the fact! And lo and behold he pulled something out of his ass like a cheesy cartoon character pulling a chainsaw from his back and defeated the giant. Now if he used something like the environment I probably would have bought it or attacked his knees then it would have been a different story... End of the line... God modding sucks
Join Crimson Reign! It's a Roleplay O.o
post165679.html#p165679

Hallik
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!