What makes you the most cross in RPs?

a topic in RPG Design, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

What are your rp peeves?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Logan24 on Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 am

What is it that really pisses you off in an rp? What really preses your buttons? I thought this would make an interesting discussion. :) Mine is anti-flexibility. When some one comes in in he middle of a plot and does this. " HEY GUYS WHATS LIEK GOING ON?" Then they go " HELLZ NO IM NOT DOING THAT I GOTZ A STORY AND IM STICKING TO IT"Here's a card I made. ImageMeet the aloof role playing bear! :D

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Logan24
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: What are your rp peeves?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Thu May 01, 2008 8:30 am

Perhaps one mana cost.

I hate when people join my roleplay without reading over the rules... They would then notice that it's join upon acceptance only ><!!!

Really, I have way to many other peeves to list.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vexar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Thu May 01, 2008 9:01 am

I hate when you write a long kickasstic post... and the next person to reply puts in this short and effortless post which sucks ass. *Counts the number of times this has happened!*
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhiteDragon on Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 am

Um...I dont like it when people only post one sentence. I don't really say anything about it, but ya, it gets on my nerves.

WhiteDragon
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BSX on Thu May 01, 2008 10:04 am

When a decent rp goes dead, also when a poster doesn't check for grammar errors! SPELL CHECK, PEOPLE, SPELL CHECK!

BSX
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MEGAcya on Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 am

Lol, Tobi the amount of your posts with bad spelling, and the fact you get annoyed when other people do it makes you seem completely hypocritial.

Anyway, my peve in RPing is probably when people change the tense or whatever. Like, If the whole roleplay is in past tense and third person, then someone comes along and says:
"A figure walks up to you and I say "Who are you?". The figure laughs and throws back his hood.."
I have no idea why, but when people change stuff like that, it makes me really annoyed. If I see a roleplay where posts change around like that, I generaly just stop reading.
>>
the epic girlies,,
{} lari && lauren && becky && laurie && illy && sessi {}

MEGAcya
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Thu May 01, 2008 12:14 pm

My pet peeve is probably the immense amount of anime ripoffs for characters. The lack of creativity boggles my mind, because usually the anime rip-offs are invariably Mary/Gary Sue one-line players who use text talk and ridiculously convoluted and illogical sentences, when they use sentences.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Muser on Thu May 01, 2008 1:23 pm

I agree with Myrin! But I also have to add, that I really dislike it when people don't take the time to properly introduce their characters, and instead just rush in and try to interact with the "main character", which, by the way, four other people have just done in their similiar posts, leaving the main character with four people all running up to him/her at once and are clamouring for his/her attention.

Muser
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Thu May 01, 2008 2:30 pm

OMG YES!!! That KILLS me. And if you don't immediately start interacting with others, people look at you like wtf?! I like to at least wait a few posts or so before I start immediate interaction, it builds character as well as story. Ugh *Slaps herself*

Mid
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Thu May 01, 2008 2:54 pm

Oh, goodness, there are so many!
I agree with all these listed here. Another that really bugs me is emo and uber characters. They're both so bland! So frustrating to try and actually BUILD something with! GAH!

And this has been listed, but I absolutely hate it when you have a great game going, everyone's in the swing of things...and then some n00b just pops in and announces that they've decided to join. Like...yeah. Intense rage on my end.

The worst by far is god modding though. There are some extremely rare cases where the controlling of your character by another is acceptable, such as when you've been playing with someone for a long time, your characters have developed together, and they know what your character would do, and you've given them permission anyway. But when someone just up and yanks your character's puppet strings from your grasp, does instakills, auto hits, all that kind of crap...I just deplore it. And it makes me think less of them as an RPer.

To me, role playing is all about creating something with a few of your friends. Meaning: group effort, group creativity, group enjoyment. So people that ignore the other members of the group in any way are not, in my humble opinion, role playing correctly.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hallik on Thu May 01, 2008 3:05 pm

My smallest peeve is text talk...
I play world of warcraft, yes I do... (for the horde) but if you take a glance at the forums it just makes you want to shoot yourself and then the people that are saying. "ur a n00b & b 1 4evah!"...
GAH! its annoying just to type it out...
however the greatest thing I have seen with text chat is the way Oxhorn movies portray it as. By actually sounding out the acronyms.
i.e Rofl = Roffle
lol-omg-wtg-dairyqueen, lol-omg-bbtheQ
Oxhorn Medley
Join Crimson Reign! It's a Roleplay O.o
post165679.html#p165679

Hallik
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Rogue Doll on Thu May 01, 2008 5:17 pm

I hate it when people do not read all of the posts before them. Especially when you are in an Rp with a lot of people. Sometimes some players think that they only need to read the posts of the person they were interacting with last, or they just skim and miss stuff. It IRKS me.

I played an Rp set in a small underground lab with a lot of people in it. It seemed to me that people would run into each other a lot since it is such a tight space. My character was getting something to eat, and another character was standing in front of the fridge while talking to another character. My character asked theirs to move. Ignored. My character got irritated and shoved theirs. No reaction. So I posted that they magically became transparent and I opened the fridge through their body and got my food so I could move on with the storyline.
The apple falls far from the tree
she's rotten and so beautiful
I'd like to keep her here with me
and tell her that she's beautiful
She takes the pills to fall asleep
and dreams that she's invisible
Too many dreams she stays awake
recalls when she was capable...

<KyojoKen>: What does riding a bicycle have to do with making love on a couch?
<Vlad>: NOBODY

The Rogue Doll
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr Hyde on Thu May 01, 2008 5:30 pm

3 Major pet peeves in order of least to most annoying.

3. People that couldn't spell to save their lives. Everyone makes mistakes but come on. It takes 30 seconds to copy and paste into Word, Spellcheck, and paste back.

2. People (Mainly GM's) who EVER use the word Invincible or Indestructable or Unbreakable. When they bring up these bullshit reasons why I can't kill their idiot character so they can drag the storyline where they want to it really ticks me off. Its one thing if you can't kill them in certain ways. Like their immune to poison, or are immortal, or can heal really fast. But by God if I can't kill them by chopping their head off then theres no point in me being here.

1. As previously stated it REALLY gets annoying when new people butt into your RP and either have no clue whats going on or try to make themselves really important in as few posts as possible. Whats even worse is when you try to incorperate them into the storyline and then with no warning they stop logging on. It wastes everyones time and is just plain rude.

Mr Hyde
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Conchobhar on Sat May 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Logan24 wrote:What is it that really pisses you off in an rp? What really preses your buttons? I thought this would make an interesting discussion. :) Mine is anti-flexibility. When some one comes in in he middle of a plot and does this. " HEY GUYS WHATS LIEK GOING ON?" Then they go " HELLZ NO IM NOT DOING THAT I GOTZ A STORY AND IM STICKING TO IT"Here's a card I made. ImageMeet the aloof role playing bear! :D

Essentially, your entire post.
Woeful are the meak, for the strong shall rend their inheritance from their hands.

Conchobhar
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhiteDragon on Sat May 03, 2008 7:11 pm

....I read books that change the person perpective...so Im used to that. Another pet peeve of mine is when someone changes their characters personality in the middle of a good roleplay.

WhiteDragon
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr Hyde on Sat May 03, 2008 7:25 pm

Depends on how fast they do it. Their characters are bound to change as they do but some people do it overnight and thats annoying.

Mr Hyde
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xersist on Sat May 03, 2008 8:30 pm

I can know where Hyde is getting at I hate people who are imortal, (winks at Hyde,) I mean they are such jerks.
From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli
We will fight our country's battles in air, on land and sea

First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean
We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine

Xersist
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Systemme on Sat May 03, 2008 9:33 pm

When people think they can run a DTS (dire-threat-situation) RPG with nothing but evil characters
I've come to realize..
with every little glimpse you fade

Systemme
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Mon May 05, 2008 1:41 pm

The greatest peeve of mine is how people disrespect others by insulting them or mocking a users post; be it one, two, three, run-on, or not a fully developed sentence. Heaven forbid a user not be as well or as enlightened upon the full grasp of Role-playing with it's "Do's and Don'ts". And when this happens, be it in the IC or OOC thread, it's a real turn off.

Another might be how a weathered Roleplayer enters an interesting Role-play, busting out a minimum of well toned paragraphs and get upset at the others participating. Why? Because the Role-play in mass is full of beginners or people having fun, without making overly detailed posts to get their action and point through. So, why should a weathered Role-player spoil this for others?

Oh, and I love Strawberry Cheesecake. ^______^

Matthias
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Mon May 05, 2008 2:54 pm

No Matthias, I will continue disrespect people who enter a role-play and use text talk. I could care less if they misspell a word here or there as long as they are trying, but I hate and abhor people who simple do the following:

how r u going to see me? i jump on u and i slice off ur hed wit a sword.
Noa I turned into a wolf and slice off ur hed first so ur ded and I had the sword know.

Yes, it may be your pet peeve that I disrespect people like that, but I will not stop decrying people who absolutely butcher the language, while claiming they want to be a writer.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!