Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism »

Players Wanted: Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution »

What They See vs What We See

a topic in Help, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars, Coders

Something not working as expected? Looking for a guide to help you find something? Check here for your answer!

What They See vs What We See

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Sigurd on Wed May 20, 2020 5:48 pm

Well, I was gone for a while but now I'm back. Sorry about that, I was stuck up in the hospital for months due to covid-19, of which I am now one of the few survivors. Imagine that. I have conquered the virus, but I'm still weak at the moment and aseptic so I'm on quarantine until further notice. But I'm alive and well, and looking to get back into the swing of things as soon as possible.

It's been a while, and with everything that's been going on, it took me a while to remember my password to log on to the site. But I'm back now, only life goes on, and things have changed since the last time I was here. I noticed that there's a new chat, which I have tried logging into, but with zero success. Like many other members of http://www.RoleplayGateway.com, I am using an older version of mobile to log on. I do not have access to a computer, and the site is becoming less and less mobile friendly over time. This could account for some of the decrease in RPG activity on the site, as many players like myself simply do not have the ability to use all of the site's added features.

For example, I can not log-in to the new chat with my account, even though the site insists it should be possible. I also can not create a new account, or reset my password either, even when I try to do so. The "direct link" seems to be broken, and takes you to the old chat which no longer works. If I try to login to the new chat under "sigurd_hring" with the same password, it tells me that my username/password is incorrect. If I try to reset my password, it is prevented and says that email password resets are disabled for that server.

If I try to create a new chat account, it redirects me to ucp.php?mode=register#form which is literally just the site's home page, the same as http://www.roleplaygateway.com so it's just really redirecting me back to the main site. So if anyone is wondering why I'm not in chat, or being social, it's because I literally cannot login to the chat. I'm not avoiding you, I'm just being prevented from joining the conversation.

Another thing which puts a hindrance on my RPG activity is the complete 100% lack of navigation controls and buttons, which I thought was really weird and ackward for a RPG forum, especially for one so advanced as this. Almost every other RPG site you go to has quick and easy navigation, even for mobile friendly users, but this site seems to be missing those features. There are no labels on the buttons that I can see. The only reason I know how to navigate at all is because I have been here for a little while now and have familiarized myself with the button icons. Other than that, I and many others are left completely in the dark.

I have taken a few screenshots and will try to upload them here to give you a better visual understanding of what I mean. I also noticed that there's no link showing recent activity on the site, or the latest most recent posts like you would see at the bottom of most forums. I've been informed that there are now chat "channels" which show these things, but without access to the chat, such channels are completely useless and inaccessible to those who can't see them. Many times the IC play buttons also do not work for me.

EDIT - I just made an attempt to login to chat on a friend's tablet mini-laptop and realized that I'm having the same issue on PC as on Mobile, so it's not strictly a mobile issue. On the tablet, I was able to see button labels and menus which makes navigation slightly easier. But the majority of the issues I'm having are still the same and there's not a significant difference between mobile and PC, which is interesting to note.

I don't have any advice or suggestions on how to better the site. I can only bring these things to light, and try to show you what I see, and what many others see when they login. Knowledge is power, and seeing is believing, so maybe by sharing what little information I can provide, someone else might be able to come up with a solution.

Anyways, I hope this helps somewhat. I also hope I'll be able to upload these screenshots so that you can get a better visual idea of what I'm talking about. It really is a pain in the butt sometimes, trying to navigate when you're half-blind to everything, and many of the more recent updates and features don't work for you. But it is what it is. Just know that I am here, I am not avoiding you or ignoring you, it's just that there is a communication barrier between us that prevents us from interacting. You can still reach me via PM on the forums if you wish to communicate. But until further notice, there's nothing else I can do.

I apologise for the inconvenience and look forward to getting back with you as soon as possible.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200520-183035.png
No recent activity logs
(97.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20200520-182058.png
What the direct link actually looks like
(24.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20200520-182148.png
No chat access
(141.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20200520-182039.png
No navigation button labels
(170.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Sigurd on Wed May 20, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Sigurd
Member for 4 years
Promethean World Builder Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Conversationalist Greeter Tipworthy Author Lifegiver Person of Interest Visual Appeal Group Theory Property Buyer Concierge Novelist

Re: What They See vs What We See

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Wed May 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Welcome back, Sigurd! So happy to hear that you have come out of the situation alive and well, so congrats on surviving Covid-19.

To piggyback off of Sigurd's posts, I also have a problem using mobile to browse the sight. To be honest, the icons for the links don't make a lot of sense. It'd be best to just allow mobile to have the word for the link rather than just the icon. I don't even know what they are when my browser dimensions are smaller while I work on numerous windows at once. But I really, really, really cannot agree more - this site is mobile user UNFRIENDLY. I even get logged out countless times on mobile.

I have another issue, really, and that is the Member Spotlight. It often shows inactive users, and every once in a while, one that is active. That's kind of, blah, really.

As for the new Chat, Sigurd, have you downloaded the RPG chat app on your phone? I don't know - just one suggestion that I can think of is you have not used it. The whole RPG phone App isn't that apparent unless you tell someone or you bother to look through the announcements. Either way, I hope they get that fixed for you so you can log in.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Re: What They See vs What We See

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sigurd on Wed May 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Hello Mombie, and thank you. It's nice to be back. I see a lot of new and unfamiliar names and faces. It's nice to finally meet you by the way.

In regards to the new chat app, I did not have it yet apparently, but I found a link to it in the Announcements forum just like you said. I downloaded the mobile app on my phone, which required me to change some phone settings but that's okay. I allowed my phone to download the new app, at which point it required also for me to install the app update. So I did all that, and well..

Here, I'll just show you. :)
I've uploaded some screenshots in the attachments.

I think another issue people are having, especially mobile users, is that they are constantly having to download apps and updates to fix a lot of issues they're having. I even became a guinea pig for Remaeus for a little while to try to help fix some of these issues, but unfortunately, I just couldn't handle it anymore. I have no patience for computers, and even less patience with computer issues. After downloading one app after another, and installing update after update to fix the glitches, one problem led to another led to another, and eventually I had installed so much crap on my phone that I ran out of memory and storage space, and couldn't activate the app even if it did suddenly work. So I gave up, and in the end, we were all just frustrated. So it's possible that one of the causes for the more recent lack of activity on the site is due to this complication and a number of other factors. Besides the whole covid-19 pandemic, which you'd think would actually boost the site activity, I've found that a lot of people are actually having a lack of interest or inspiration, as they seem to be overwhelmed with other things as a result of this planetary pestilence.

Also the constant site changes seem to have had a huge effect on some of the older long-time members of the site, who were more comfortable with the way things were before. Of course, not everyone dislikes the changes, and the majority especially of newer members seems to enjoy it, and some of the more die-hard RPers and writers stuck around, so that's a plus. Newer generations seem less interested in writing as well, which could be another reason for the decrease in activity. Kids these days don't even want to do their school work, much less write a story. Facebook, Tiktok and social media, plus the rapid growth in video gaming technology has caused a loss of interest in on-line role-playing play by post games. Technology is now moving faster than the world can keep up, and every other day, new updates are required to keep up and move forward. Plus the whole PC thing is becoming less significant as more and more people switch to mobile.

Again, I don't really have any suggestions on how to boost the site's activity. All I can do is share my own observations and experiences, with hopes that maybe somebody else with more capability will be able to come up with some solutions, or ideas to counter some of these issues.

As for myself, I just recently made an IC post in the Multiverse RP and will be sticking around to see how things go. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, except to work and back. Many people have long-term RPs on this site, and so I don't imagine they'll be going anywhere either any time soon, which is good. It's a great site and there are a lot of interesting stories, some going back to the time when the site was GWing, so I'm going to continue to hang around, and I hope they do too. Everyone has worked very hard to get to this point, volunteering their time and effort. So we're going to stick around and continue to do what we do best, which is developing characters and making memories. I haven't been hindered from posting or doing any of the more basic stuff on these forums yet, so that's good. And again, if anyone needs to contact me, the site comes with a PM setting which can still be used for emergency communication purposes. Without it, I'd have no communication at all, so that's a blessing.

Well, that's all I got for now. Hopefully this will help in some way or another, even if just to give people ideas, address some issues, and show PC users the difference between what they see and what we see so that there isn't as much confusion, and error between screens. It's hard to troubleshoot a problem that you can not see, especially when what you see on your screen is different than what others see who are having said issues.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200520-201401.png
Authentication error #2
(60.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20200520-201443.png
Authentication error #1
(60.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sigurd
Member for 4 years
Promethean World Builder Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Conversationalist Greeter Tipworthy Author Lifegiver Person of Interest Visual Appeal Group Theory Property Buyer Concierge Novelist

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!