What's up with this site lately, and how can we fix it??

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Re: What's up with this site lately, and how can we fix it??

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Beau<3 on Tue May 03, 2016 1:42 am

I think it should be taken a step further. As in not allowing people to advertise 1x1's with a whole tab forum or using the tab system for anything other than a full rp, isn't there another thread to store testing forums and the like? It's the journals right?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Beau<3
Member for 3 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FyreT1ger on Mon May 09, 2016 11:59 am

I remember some time ago there was a thread or forum specifically for Character Journals. I don't remember a general journals forum. If I remember correctly, Character Journals was about players writing stories for their original characters outside of roleplay, which actually could still be covered under the writing forum in the creative realm.

One thing I will say about 1x1, not all of them are intentional. I participate in a roleplay that started with four players and six characters. One player made a character sheet and then never participated in the actual story. Another player started in the story and then disappeared, so now we have been reduced to a 1x1 with four characters.

For a player who intends from the start to only have one other player, I'd rather suggest they write out their intent in the roleplayers wanted or interest check forums and then keep their 1x1 in PM. We totally do need to advertise those forums more. Hiding tags is also a good solution.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

FyreT1ger
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby æsthetic on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:09 am

I just want to know what happened with the option to instant chat people on this site. I thought it was my computer that's been having troubles, or my other acc, but no. The site completely did away with it. Why? I'm tired of sending people pm's..

Bring instant chat back. That was the best.

æsthetic
Member for 3 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Now that we have ourselves a good supply of moderators, perhaps in the future a potential poster could look to this link and see if their idea is already there. Maybe even add their own issue in this location.

https://feedback.roleplaygateway.com/

LawOfTheLand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

I know it's been brought up many a time throughout this thread now, but seriously, something needs to be done about how many RPs are exclusive 1x1s and storage. The RP I've created in need of players doesn't even appear under the RP tab, meanwhile there's a big list of RPs I can't join.
[font=times new roman][center]We're living in a den of thieves
Rummaging for answers in the pages...

Summer in the City
Member for 6 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ChaoticMarin on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:27 am

It would be very helpful if there was simply an "RP is full" flag or tag that GMs could tick so that they could be filtered out. Regardless of whether it's 1x1s or huge 12 person RPs, advertising full RPs is very unhelpful.

æsthetic wrote:I just want to know what happened with the option to instant chat people on this site. I thought it was my computer that's been having troubles, or my other acc, but no. The site completely did away with it. Why? I'm tired of sending people pm's..

Bring instant chat back. That was the best.

Believe it or not, the software behind that was used by hackers to rough up our website. There were also other issues, like the fact that it was almost never moderated and was therefore in constant violation of the site rules, but the hacking incident is the main reason it's gone for now.

ChaoticMarin
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years
Beta Tester Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Recruiter Cult Leader Hordemaster Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpiritDancer on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Really my main complaint about the website is that it needs to be updated visually, and the BBcode also needs a good update as well. The site just looks really outdated, and it's also hard to navigate for new people and it should be easier to find out where everything actually is.

I also have to agree that having the little chat bar thing at the bottom of the website would be amazing again. It gave me updates on when someone submitted a character to my roleplay or when my character was mentioned in a post. Now it's very easy to forget exactly which roleplays I'm involved in without having to delete characters from dead roleplays.

Another problem I have is that, while I do know that updates are coming, they really, really need to be more transparent. We got the announcement for the updates during the beginning of this year, and since then there has been no news at all about what changes were actually coming to the site or when those changes were actually coming. There needs to be more communication about that because at this point no one can be sure whether or not those changes are truly going to be happening.

SpiritDancer
Scholar
Member for 4 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Builder Storyteller Beta Tester Arc Warden Friendly Beginnings Person of Interest Visual Appeal Greeter Salesman Property Buyer Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:49 pm

SpiritDancer wrote:
Really my main complaint about the website is that it needs to be updated visually, and the BBcode also needs a good update as well. The site just looks really outdated, and it's also hard to navigate for new people and it should be easier to find out where everything actually is.

I also have to agree that having the little chat bar thing at the bottom of the website would be amazing again. It gave me updates on when someone submitted a character to my roleplay or when my character was mentioned in a post. Now it's very easy to forget exactly which roleplays I'm involved in without having to delete characters from dead roleplays.

Another problem I have is that, while I do know that updates are coming, they really, really need to be more transparent. We got the announcement for the updates during the beginning of this year, and since then there has been no news at all about what changes were actually coming to the site or when those changes were actually coming. There needs to be more communication about that because at this point no one can be sure whether or not those changes are truly going to be happening.

RPG is not so much getting updated as re-built from the ground up on a new platform called Maki, which is currently under construction and could use all the capable helpers it can get. You can follow the updates and maybe get involved yourself through the Maki Dev Slack, the link to which is available through this blog entry.

LawOfTheLand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!