Which is better? Collaborative or competitive roleplay?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Which is better? Collaborative or competitive roleplay?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri May 16, 2014 2:54 am

The form of roleplaying that this site exists to promote, text-based roleplaying, is basically a writing game. But it begs the question -- do you prefer collaborative roleplay (where the process is more like writing a story or novel with more than one co-author, where the players are more likely to be writing for a common goal or set of goals) or competitive roleplay (which can have elements of collaboration, but is also more game-like in that the players may pursue different objects or agendas that are often in conflict with each other)? Which do you prefer and why? Do you believe that one form is inherently better than the other?
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver

Maybe there isn't a line that separates the two. Maybe they're one and the same. I think both forms are constantly utilized when roleplaying, and that has to do with the fact that writers are people. We are all seeking that audience, that ecstasy, that applause, that...affirmation that our work has meant something to somebody else.

Roleplaying encompasses both at the same time. It is collaborative, yet competitive even if it does not want to be, even if the GM says "this is all collaborative, not competitive." The story is told through collaboration, but the work is admired through competition. Sometimes we are driven to produce a better reply, a better response, a better post because of what we've just read by a fellow roleplayer/writer.

I would say that I started competitive, but I leaned toward collaborative. The collaborative form has competitive aspects, or maybe that's just us as people in general. Whether the same is true for a roleplay that is grounded in competition, I don't know. The desired result is or should be the same, to tell a story.
Last edited by VindicatedPurpose on Tue May 20, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 9 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Re: Which is better? Collaborative or competitive roleplay?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TinkMumu on Sun May 18, 2014 2:20 pm

I honestly think that it's collaborative competition. Meaning no matter what, everyone is collaborating but everyone is also competing their own little ideas. I love that about roleplaying. Because in the end, no one really knows exactly how things will end. It could be one sentence that changes the entire course of the story.
Add me ! ^^ <3

TinkMumu
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Tue May 20, 2014 10:30 pm

I didn't know there was more than one type? Honestly I've spent the last 10 years (maybe longer... I can't count some days) in the world of the collaborative type.

I really don't believe that one is better than the other because they each hone a different set of skills when you're writing.

Do I prefer one over the other? Collaborative to be honest. I like seeing what other people have to offer, or bring to the table. I've been working with one person for the past few years on a project RP that I plan to turn into something like a novel or maybe manga if I can bribe the right artist.

Also, competitive makes me think of things like T1/T2 based fighting.. and the words "phail-fight".

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asmodai510 on Thu May 22, 2014 8:51 am

In my humble opinion it has to be a mixture of the two, even if you have a fantastic lead story writer, dungeon master, insert term here, you need some sort of conflict to keep the parties involved, it doesn't have to be fighting each other but maybe different ways to solve a problem are used or different motivations surface. That being said I think the moment you say that its "competitive" roleplay you are doing yourself a dis-service because it then seems like there has to be a winner and a loser which in my experience will drastically shorten the life of the story or leave one of the players with a sour taste in their mouth.

Asmodai510
Member for 6 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BetaAges on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:15 pm

I would be lying if I said I enjoy both equally. It's just not true. But...at a certain level of either, I begin to dislike both. I started of Roleplaying on a competitive, combat based level. It's how I started off and I always enjoy a good spar. But there come's a time where you just want to sit down and write with someone, not see who's better. Just relax and make a story that you both/all can enjoy. So because of that. I'd say that I enjoy collaborative efforts more than competitive.

BetaAges
Member for 6 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saarai on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:31 pm

I've never been of the mind that writing should be competitive. It's why I refuse to do anything like our very own battle arena. I don't mind telling a story where one of my characters loses a brawl, but I as a writer won't try to win. The character will. We lose track of the story if we force it to take a backseat to ego-stroking.

That's not competition isn't needed sometimes, just not often in roleplaying like this where the story itself relies on multiple people. to exist.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Saarai
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Flexar on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Personally, I prefer more collaborative stories, but having conflict between characters does add another layer to roleplays; providing it stays between the characters. When the players start competing things tend to get messy. However, in general, I've always preferred collaborative activities to competitive ones, and I'm sure that there have been competitive roleplays where the players have behaved in a civil manner.

Flexar
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FWO on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:30 am

Saarai wrote:I've never been of the mind that writing should be competitive.

I feel the same way. Leave the competition to the characters within the story. As writers, we already struggle with fragile egos. There is no need to add competition to the already volatile mix. You want competition? Play a card game or a video game. Better yet, bust out the chess board and we can play.

I will admit, however that I do enjoy the occasional character spar but even in that I am more about collaboration than competition. More often than not, I like to have it determined who is going to win before a conclusion is reached, even if the 'how' is not figured out right away.
Check out my blog, FANTASY WRITER ONLINE. Whether you write as a hobby or to pursue a career, there is something here for everyone.

FWO
Member for 6 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!