Which illegal drugs should be legal?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Which illegal drugs should be legal?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:51 am

Http://www.erowid.org for information.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Re: Which illegal drugs should be legal?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seirei on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:13 am

All of them, simply because it would provide the authorities with some measure of control. A legal channel will increase the exposure, true, but if you look at alcohol and tobacco, a minimum age is apparently a strong enough deterrent.

Drugs and booze are gonna be sold anyway. May as well control a part of it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Seirei
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:42 am

How about we make all drugs illegal unless you have a prescription by a doctor for them, make the penalties for possession/distribution of drugs much more severe, and develop a society where I no longer have to listen to university students go on about how they're going to get wasted this weekend or complain about their desperate need of caffeine to function.

Lifecharacter
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seirei on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:58 am

Instead of students, you'd be bothered by street-corner dealers trying to sell you instant coffee.

Seirei
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saladin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am

I'll be unusually succinct: None of them.

Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

Lord Saladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:57 am

Legalizing things doesn't make the crime go away.

ViceVersus
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seirei on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Legal crime doesn't exist, so it kind of would, Vice. Just kidding - I get your point, but outlawing things doesn't make crime go away either. I'm talking about drug dealing - not consuming drugs in the privacy of one's own home, which I don't believe is anyone's business.

If legalized, you drag a part of the shady narcotics business out into the open. A lot of drug users will opt to go through legal channels for their fix, simply because it's the safer and surer choice. Have you ever tried holding a dealer accountable for cutting their merchandise with sugar or flour? I haven't, but I imagine it wouldn't end in an apology and a refund.

Legalized distribution points will provide authorities with control and information, as well as decrease illegal dealers' business. I'm not advocating drug use, but I do believe legalizing it is the lesser of two evils.

Seirei
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saarai on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Legalizing hard drugs will probably make the drug addicts feel that nothing is wrong with their drug abuse and keep doing them. Maybe weed should be legal, but not crack or anything like that.

There is no "lesser of two evils" when someone destroys their body and life with narcotics and we allow it.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Saarai
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:41 am

Weed and maybe haschisch should be legal. In my opinion nothing more, since the other stuff can lead people to do bad things for money (know a case or two in closer environment).
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:01 am

Drugs make people do bad things for money? Seriously? Did we ever need the help?

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:54 am

I mean drugs like cocaine and opium (even heroine) can drive people to do bad things to get money for the drugs.

Aniihya
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ColeMaibara on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:39 am

I'm 6 years late to this thread, but...

I'm of the belief that, so long as a drug doesn't cause people to harm others, there should be no law made restricting people from putting what they want into their bodies. Making it illegal doesn't stop the usage (see: Prohibition), and when people aren't educated properly they're more prone to hurt themselves (see: college students drinking themselves into liver psoriasis and dying/being hospitalized).

So far I've done quite a few substances, and have my sights set on quite a few more to try. DXM (cough medicine), marijuana, and hydrocodone are the three substances I've taken, and while on the substances I've felt no inclination to harm others or myself and instead was too distracted (and lazy) to do anything but sit and grin.

Also, there are some drugs that should just be avoided at all costs. Heroine, cocaine, Xanax, and meth are the four examples I can mention without getting into research chemicals that nobody really knows about.

tl;dr Not all drugs are the spawn if Satan. Proper eduction helps people not kill themselves. If people don't hurt others they're free to put what they want in their body. Their body, their choice. Also liken anything drug related to alcohol too since alcohol is also a drug (a depressant). So is caffeine (a stimulant) and yet most people put it in their body.

<3

ColeMaibara
Coder
Member for 7 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Cult Leader Greeter Visual Appeal Salesman Property Buyer Lifegiver

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:42 pm

All of them. Supporting evidence from Portugal's complete legalization initiative:
Samuel Oakford wrote:The rate of new HIV infections in Portugal has fallen precipitously since 2001, the year its law took effect, declining from 1,016 cases to only 56 in 2012. Overdose deaths decreased from 80 the year that decriminalization was enacted to only 16 in 2012.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 14 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Almost five years later, my opinion has changed on the topic. My position is pretty much that of Remaeus now. Legalize everything and do a Portugal style model where taxes from drugs are reinvested into rehab programs.

Aniihya
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sara Whitley on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Marijuana and psychedelics are fairly benign, and even therapeutic to some individuals. Psychedelics, in fact, can provide highly beneficial perspectives and it is my personal opinion that most people should have that experience at least once. Most of the time, the perspectives that follow one, single profound experience tend to have positive impacts on a person's life.
To modern standards, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that they are considered Schedule I drugs.

There are, however, some classes of drugs that I feel uneasy about becoming legal. There are some classes of drugs that cause a disproportionate level of harm to the body comparing to the effects it might provide the user. Powerful opiates such as heroin, and powerful stimulants such as methamphetamine, can really do more (in my opinion) to tear apart communities and would introduce themselves to new communities if the government put out the message that they were now "okay" to purchase and possess.
Creator of the Fantasy Sandbox roleplay.

Sara Whitley
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ColeMaibara on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:26 pm

Sara Whitley wrote:Marijuana and psychedelics are fairly benign, and even therapeutic to some individuals. Psychedelics, in fact, can provide highly beneficial perspectives and it is my personal opinion that most people should have that experience at least once. Most of the time, the perspectives that follow one, single profound experience tend to have positive impacts on a person's life.
To modern standards, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that they are considered Schedule I drugs.

There are, however, some classes of drugs that I feel uneasy about becoming legal. There are some classes of drugs that cause a disproportionate level of harm to the body comparing to the effects it might provide the user. Powerful opiates such as heroin, and powerful stimulants such as methamphetamine, can really do more (in my opinion) to tear apart communities and would introduce themselves to new communities if the government put out the message that they were now "okay" to purchase and possess.

Part of the problem comes also with whether or not you own your body. Drugs are destructive, some are addictive, and some can cause serious permanent damage.

For example, my uncle used to be a heroin addict. He used a dirty needle once, and contracted Hep C, and was constantly in pain. Afterwards he killed himself.

Despite this, making things illegal does nothing to help the problem and even does more harm than good (like thrusting addicts into jail, worsening any problems they might have been having. Addicts usually have other issues that compound the addiction such as depression, and jailing them will hurt them more).

Personally, I'm okay with doing plenty of things - psychedelics, dissociatives, opioids, and testing out RCs. I won't touch heroin, coke, meth, Xanax, and so on. But that doesn't mean I (and by extension others) have control over what other people can and will do. Unless it's a family or friend, it isn't your business. If it's a friend or family member, there are ways to help addicts.

Love, compassion, and willingness to help is much better than demonizing and ostracizing.

ColeMaibara
Coder
Member for 7 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Cult Leader Greeter Visual Appeal Salesman Property Buyer Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The0ther0ne on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:27 am

This is dredging up an older post, but ah well.

I'm a big fan of decriminalization of drugs. Some I think should be legal, those that are mostly harness - marijuana and other psychedelics in particular. Weed, shrooms, peyote and the like are no more harmful that alcohol. Other drugs, which can be extremely addictive and harmful for the user and potentially make the user dangerous to others, operate better decriminalized, I think. Instead of tossing someone in jail for possession and then releasing them to relapse back into use, decriminalization could open the door to active treatment of substance abuse in those who are suffering. Those who use certain drugs more responsibly would be left to do so without fear of being in legal trouble when they aren't a danger to themselves or others. People who are experiencing worrisome symptoms from drug use may be more prone to seek medical assistance if they know they won't be arrested or end up with a record for their use.

And that's my thoughts on that.

The0ther0ne
Member for 3 years
Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!