Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas » Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? »

Players Wanted: OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner »

Who are your favorite Composers?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Who are your favorite Composers?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:07 am

I thought it would be nice to see what are the most favored composers in our community, consider this both a getting to know each other thread and a statistical analysis ;)

My personal favorites are Wagner. Richard Strauss and Beethoven... might be a few more but my memory for names is not the best.

Wagner as some of you may note is a bit problematic considering my background, there is an unofficial ban of his music which is however imposed as if it where official law. The last time an attempt was made to play his music in a musical establishment in my country it didn't end well.

I used to be weary of his music in the past but nowadays i find i am so absorbed by its glorious nature that i no longer care for the past uses of his music nor his own views.

To some of my own countrymen i normally say this: Considering our armed forces at our independence used an abundance of x Nazi Germany equipment such as Messerschmidt 109 fighters (ironically used to shoot down spitfires), MP 44's and Mauser Karabiner 98k to maintain our state so to reject music is hypocritical.

Strauss's music is very similar to Wagner's which is probably why i like him, I tend to enjoy Strauss opera's more then Wagner's however.

Beethoven is self explanatory... XD

What are your tastes?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Who are your favorite Composers?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Schubert, Bela Bartok, Liszt and John Cage.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aniihya
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Beethoven, and Mozart.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 12 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Interesting to know, seems like Beethoven is in the led so far :)

I would like to add Holst and Handel... hmm all my favorite composers are Germans i better put that down "16th of the 2nd 2013... found yet another all German field of interest"

Still British Influences on my character still beat German Influences which are at a close second.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fox in a Lab Coat on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:04 am

Mussorgsky is my favorite symphony composer. :3 I also like Dvorak and Holst a lot.

I'd like to throw some other modern names around. Mostly the popular ones since I haven't delved as much here: the Gershwins, Bernstein, John Williams, and Nobuo Uematsu.
Roleplays
Godhood - Modern Fantasy on a god-like scale
The Limbs Market - Dystopian Biopunk

Fox in a Lab Coat
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:01 pm

George Gershwin is pretty cool.

This video is of Hiromi Uehara playing "I've Got Rhythm" by George Gershwin. It is just uncanny.

I almost forgot about Mussorgsky as well, and Scott Joplin.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 12 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:40 am

I forgot someone important: Chopin. Great musical masterpieces for the piano.

Aniihya
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby bluefries13 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:59 pm

Everyone loves Beethoven. I also like Dvorak, Mussorgsky, Grieg, Wagner, George Gershwin, John Williams, Tchaikovsky, and, because I'm a choir nerd, Palestrina and Brahms. And I almost forgot Ralph Vaughan Williams and Morten Lauridsen!

bluefries13
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brawness on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 am

Guillaume de Machaut & Thibaud de Champagne

Old french composers in the 12th - 13th century
Insert Philosophical Quote Here

Brawness
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby General Holdt on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Mahler!
Martinu!
Janacek!
Dvorak!
Ligeti!
Arvo Part!
Gerard Grisey!
John Psathas!

General Holdt
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!