Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Why Windows Is Less Secure Than Linux

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Why Windows Is Less Secure Than Linux

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:53 pm

From ZDnet
Windows is inherently harder to secure than Linux. There I said it. The simple truth.

Many millions of words have been written and said on this topic. I have a couple of pictures. The basic argument goes like this. In its long evolution, Windows has grown so complicated that it is harder to secure. Well these images make the point very well. Both images are a complete map of the system calls that occur when a web server serves up a single page of html with a single picture. The same page and picture. A system call is an opportunity to address memory. A hacker investigates each memory access to see if it is vulnerable to a buffer overflow attack. The developer must do QA on each of these entry points. The more system calls, the greater potential for vulnerability, the more effort needed to create secure applications.
Attachments
SysCallIIS.jpg
IIS (Windows)
(384.77 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
SysCallApache.jpg
Apache (Linux)
(126.25 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
Ludwig von Mises, The Theory of Money and Credit wrote:Perpetual vigilance on the part of the citizens can achieve what a thousand laws and dozens of alphabetical bureaus with hordes of employees never have and never will achieve: the preservation of a sound currency.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader

Re: Why Windows Is Less Secure Than Linux

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:55 pm

as surprising as it is... there are still some people who don't know this. READ IT!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

miyumi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:45 am

Hate to resurrect this one (as well - I've been doing a lot of grave digging here lately!) but while I don't mean to support windows and bash linux, something else needs to be said:

The vast majority of people use Windows, so the vast majority of people looking to thwart others are going to learn to do so in windows. Just like with Mac, Linux can also be considered 'more secure' because it is demographically less potent. Why learn to hax OSes that don't get used as much when you can learn to hax the main OS of unknowing people making online purchases?

That's another thing: people who use Linux as their primary OS are probably savvier than the average windows user, so any system they owned would be less likely to be penetrable.
As you recall, you know I love to show off,
But you never thought that I would take it this far.
What do you know?

Fancy a Butcher's?

aeleon
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:30 pm

I agree with aeleon on this one. People just go out and by a pc.. because they are easier to get than a mac or any other OS on there... They don't treat them right or take the right precautions... If a user is good enough, they can make a windows just as secure as a linux or mac.. It's just.. generally people on windows don't know how...

Vexar
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.