Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library »

Players Wanted: Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) »

Winter Writing Contest

a topic in The Artist's Cafe, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Have some artwork to share? Share it here — and feel free to ask for commissions!

Winter Writing Contest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugmentationAudit on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:48 am

Winter Writing Contest

Closing date 25/12/2012, 12pm, GMT.

For writers and roleplayers alike, there is nothing better than a chance to stretch our metaphorical legs, and there are very few among us that don’t enjoy seeing our characters and work get the kudos it truly deserves. Hence, I am hosing a competition to all the writers of RPG, in which you’ll have the chance to show off your very best work to the community at large.

There are two prizes for this competition:

First prize is a commissioned character drawing by the very talented Hax, who can be found here on tumblr. She has kindly offered her time to help with this contest, and will draw a free commission for the winner. She also takes commissions in general, information on which can be found on her tumblr. If you struggle with tumblr, but still want to request a commission, feel free to post it here; I will transfer all information to Hax.

The runner up prize is a short story of your choice, written specifically for you, about your character. Anything goes, all prompts accepted.

Rules:

This is a short story competition, for all writers. All genres, characters and writing styles are very much welcome.

1) Posts must be between 2000 and 5000 words in length. A 10% margin on either side is acceptable.
2) Posts must be clearly labelled in the writing forum, with “WWC” displayed in the title section.
3) Once you have submitted your entry, please post a link in this forum; this will help the judge-monkeys find your work.
4) Please respect your fellow writers.
5) One entry per writer.

This competition will run from now until the 25th of December, and late entries will only be considered if prior extensions have been arranged with me over the private message system. If the deadline is extended for any reason, it will be posted here. Judging will take place once all entries are in and the competition is closed, and winners will be announced by the 25th of January at the latest.

If you are interested, please feel free to discuss your ideas or ask questions on this thread. Any and all participation is very much welcome.

Please post entries in the Writing forum, and post a link to them here.
Last edited by AugmentationAudit on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Custom character art on my profiles is work by the wonderful Hax. She does commissions and is happy to discuss drawing RP characters. Take a look and drop her a line.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

AugmentationAudit
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: Winter Writing Contest 2012!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Furry Dragon on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:58 am

Hello, this looks interesting. I think I might like to join it. However, it says the closing date is 2010. I think this is a mistake. Is it?
Imagine a Balderdash game where Incredible Initials was rolled. The initials were S.M.A. This was one of the responses:

A movie about the lost soul of a murdered person that is laid to rest when 200 sheriffs impersonate him at once.

That's totally the answer, right?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Furry Dragon
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Re: Winter Writing Contest 2012!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugmentationAudit on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:02 pm

I was attacked by the evil power of the autocorrect, which I have now vanquished with my snicker-snacking vorple sword. It is now correct, rather than autocorrect. ¬¬

AugmentationAudit
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: Winter Writing Contest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macabre Legion on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:42 am

You guys need to bring back the upvote button the site had a couple years ago, because AugmentationAudit, you deserve one for your clever word play. Bravo. You made me chuckle.

Macabre Legion
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kitara Turner on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:56 pm

i'm assuming it is preferred that it is an original peice of writing, not a fandom?
http://midnight-lotus.com needs you! Please, join our small community xx

Kitara Turner
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugmentationAudit on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:28 am

There are no rules against fandom pieces, but original work is certainly preferred.

AugmentationAudit
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hyperiant on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:40 am

When you say "please post a link in this forum" do you mean a post link to this sticky or do you mean create a new thread in this forum section and post the link in there?

Hyperiant
Member for 9 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:10 am

I believe AA meant that you create your own thread dubbed WWC for your writing piece within the Writing Forum. Then, in this thread, post a link back to your writing piece's thread. Just take a look at the words in red at the bottom, and you'll see what I mean.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 10 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugmentationAudit on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:31 am

That's right: you submit your entry to the Writing forum, putting WWC in the title, then you post a link to it here.

AugmentationAudit
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Great Thundorz on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:10 pm

My Wish.

Here is my entry for this! I hope it's not too early or anything, but I felt while I had the time I should put this up! Hope you all enjoy it as much as I had fun making it.

The Great Thundorz
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist World Builder Novelist Arc Warden Storyteller Streamwatcher Historian Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugmentationAudit on Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:16 pm

It's not too early at all, Thundorz; I'm very happy to welcome you into the running!

AugmentationAudit
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macabre Legion on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:57 am

Does it have to be between 1000 and 5000 words, or can I write more?

Macabre Legion
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:26 am

Your question kinda answers itself. The range of words allowed is 1000-5000; anything more than that would disqualify it.

Remember AugmentationAudit and the judges will be reading every single entry with great attention. If every entry decides to casually stray over the generous 5000 word cap, that's a lot of additional content to digest.

Five-thousand words ought to be more than enough.

ViceVersus
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugmentationAudit on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 am

*points upwards* It's actually 2000-5000, but you have a ten percent margin either way. So you can stretch, at the absolute, to 5,500 or down to 1,800, but that's only at a push.

AugmentationAudit
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:04 am

AA seems the allowing sort. (:

ViceVersus
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seanhiruki on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:50 pm

TIme Ravages All

Here is my story, I hope you all enjoy it.

Seanhiruki
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macabre Legion on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:20 am

I had thought that it was over 5000 words, but alas, it just crested itself over 3000. This is an old short story that I had created back in 2010, and the tone of the story is based off of the tones of the Christian bibles. An older style of English, if you would. It was to become a book later on, but I had never gotten around to do it. Please enjoy yourselves as you immerse your minds within the texts of The God Who Loved The World Called Terra.

Macabre Legion
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:37 am

AugmentationAudit, are you accepting entries that already existed before this date, or do they have to be created fresh during the submission period?

ViceVersus
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugmentationAudit on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 pm

I would rather the entry be new, to give everyone an even chance. Or at least not posted beforehand.

AugmentationAudit
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:50 am

wwc-the-flats-first-day-t76954.html

Hi

I hope you like it. It's a little over the limit but within the margin. Its based on a couple of RPs I've run in the past. Critiques obviously welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Bosch
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!