Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Wolves: Dead or Alive?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Wolves: Dead or Alive?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tornadofan2 on Fri May 18, 2012 7:52 am

Wolves

Wolves are beautifull creatures. Living in Packs, caring for each other, strong, fast, magnificent. Wolves have been on this planet longer than we have. They have evolved though not much and have learned. They have changed and spread across the Earth untill we came. Humans. Two legged creatures that have evolved untill too mighty, too powerfull. The human race is the most destructive the Earth has ever known.

Wolves have always fascinated me. I've always loved them, no matter what I heard about them. I can remember, when I was young, I always had the same birthday wish, to own a wolf. With Christmas I asked the same, to own a wolf. I've always told my parents how much I loved them and how much I wanted one. I always asked, kept asking about one but I never got one, luckely. I studied them for years, watched movies, read books about them. Only than I started to realise wolves weren't pets at all. I started to understand them, to respect them, to love them even more. Now, only just so young, I probably know more than most people do, no matter what age. I've gathered news about wolves, posters and photos. I tried, and still do, to get any possible information. New or old, I didn't care. As long as it was about wolves I gathered it. Books, drawings and much more. I started to draw wolves to understand them better. I gathered anything possible about wolves.

Since a few years I've started to ask people about wolves, what they knew and how they got to know about it. But, I soon realised that they were very much hated. I heard stories about wolf attacks, kills, threats. I've heard stories about how wolves were hunted down, the different methods and reasons. Some reasons I never understood.

I can recall one time. I visited an animal park and they had wolves. The first thing I wanted to see was the wolves. When I first saw them, I never wanted to leave again. It was a pack with around six wolves. I instantly recognized the Alpha Male as he came running towards the fence, his tail higher then the other wolves of the pack, his teeth bared but once it came to the fence he calmed down. He sat down and raised his right front paw to let it rest on the fence. I was amazed by how gentle he was. I raised my hand and placed it on the spot where his paw was and at that moment he seemed to make a small bow. Then he removed his paw and licked my hand. I was so amazed, touched by his gentleness.

Eversince that encounter I've had a few more though the fence and the people were sepparated by a low bush with a warning sign that they were different. I could watch for hours without looking away, watching them in all curiousity.

I've heard a lot negative comments about wolves. I always wondered why they are so hated. They are the bad guys in movies. They are hunted down for their fur, for what they do, overpopulation but is it actually or right to hunt them down and play for 'God'? Can we just hunt them down with a reason or not? Can we actually just destroy their habbitats and population just because we think they are overpopulated and we need more space?

What's your opinion about wolves? I really like to know.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

tornadofan2
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Wolves: Dead or Alive?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby viper45 on Fri May 18, 2012 11:27 pm

I live in Oregon and grew up on a farm. A few years ago, we got a notice in the mail that wolves were spotted in the area. Since they were a protected species, we were supposed to leave them alone and report any sightings or attacks. I had the honor seeing of them only once, while camping in the mounains behind my house. I was hiking up a ridge and looked up, and there were three of them silhouetted on the horizon. They watched me for a minute, then turned and left. That's the only time I saw wolves in the wild, though I've heard them howling often.

Suffice it to say that I believe wolves should be left alone if possible. However, sometimes this is not possible. If wolves discover an easy, stable food source, such as a cattle or horse herd, they could destroy the herds and cost ranchers thousands of dollars or more. I understand how farmers and ranchers would want to kill wolves on sight, thought thankfully they don't anymore, at least around here.
Last edited by viper45 on Sat May 19, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

viper45
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Sat May 19, 2012 2:52 am

A bigger more savage version of a household pet? O'course it makes a good villain. Wolves are easy to play diversely, from vicious, murderous savages to kind, benevolent, peaceful and noble.

But they're animals. :X
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tornadofan2 on Sat May 19, 2012 3:05 am

Wolves indeed can cause damage of thousands of dollars. I've seen some damage only minimum and I've heard about wolves attack cattle though I have also heard of methods to keep wolves away.

tornadofan2
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Sat May 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Just to correct you first, humans are not only the most destructive race that Earth has ever known but also the most creative race that Earth has ever known. Sorry for that correction but I do get annoyed when people mention one side and forget the other.

Wolves are hated first of all because they are not humans or animals we can just exploit as we wish, we naturally see wolves as a threat because of their predator status and while they do not cause as much damage as they are seen to cause they are something outside human control. When we think of wolves we think of dogs; a sub species of the wolf we created to exploit to our will and needs. Wolves are the proud and wild creature we tamed and the sight of one brings us back to that struggle, the struggle of taming the earth to our own use.

I do not know if this is the reason for it but Its my guess. Also the Media; the generator and exploiter of negetivity and hate paints the wolf with a much more serious and negetive outlook then what the wolf deserves.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Purr_Meow on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Honestly, I love wolves. They have always been one of my favorite animals and they were even my school mascot (which, the picture you posted was the desktop background for every computer in the school and they used to get SOOO mad if you changed it). I think most people now see anyone who likes wolves is a furry who likes messing around with other people who love wolves. It's embarrassing honestly because I want to freely love wolves and anime without someone saying "Oh, you like both, you must be a furry." Honestly.

Purr_Meow
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Wolves? Overpopulated? Hahaha. That is so not true. I have high respect for wolves. If you understand them, then they are intelligent animals. Trust them and they will trust you. Have multiple encounters with both wild and domesticated wolves. They are precious creatures. They hunt because they need to live. I know people who have wolves as guardians.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroace on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 pm

i mean i can understand the hate due to countless people being killed or attacked by wolves but they can be pretty interesting Animals c:

Aeroace
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alappassi on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:11 am

I live in New England and wolves have not been here for years... or so that's what the game wardens want us to believe. The truth of the matter is, they are in fact, here in New England. There are so many deer here that wolves never bother anyone... but the wolves are so scare that many people never see one either. My dad has a friend that hit a wolf with his truck and brought it to work. The game warden told him it was a bear dog. What? WHAT? Bear dogs look NOTHING like a wolf...

I say, if they are not bothering someone, don't shoot them. If they are getting into live stock, get a guardian dog, build a better fence, and try to shoo them off somehow.

Also, we have mountain lions. Which the game wardens also refuse to admit. it's kinda hard to say we don't have them when many people report having seen one, including my own grandfather.
Sighthounds, writing, and drawing are my passion!

Alappassi
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:01 pm

I love all animals, including wolves. I am with Alappassi here on how to keep wolves off properties. We don't have wolves here in the south, but we do have coyotes, snakes, and bobcats. Getting a guard dog for livestock is a great idea. Here out in the country where there are plenty of livestock almost everyone I know has a dog or two. I've also learned that in some areas of Africa, farmers there are given guard dogs for their flocks so they don't shoot endangered cats over there. It's had a lot of success too from what I hear.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aizuki on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:43 am

I love wolves, most chances I get I try to roleplay as one or draw them. However, I can understand why people covet the fur and try to hunt them. As some people have stated, humans can't exploit them and they do have a predatory status. So would that happen to make them almost equal to us? (Barehanded of course. They wouldn't stand a chance against us with guns and maybe knives.) Perhaps it makes the people who want the wolves hunted uncomfortable and that's reason enough for them to want the wolves gone. Nevertheless, that's something for debate.

However, getting to the point at hand...They are beautiful and majestic creatures that we only see occasionally in person or more than that if you live in the right place and we should maybe just try a bit more to help preserve them. Also if you think about it....Humans are overpopulated, would you want someone exterminating a few thousand people every year to make sure we didn't overtake our lands? (Although we kind of already have >.>)

Aizuki
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BetaAges on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:19 pm

I love wolves and would honestly love to learn more about them, but personally would rather leave them be than face much/any interaction with them.

BetaAges
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patchlamb on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:24 pm

From what i know, wolf attacks are no more common than, say, shark attacks. They will attack if threatened or protecting something. It's not helpful if they happen to bother a farm, because a farmer simply cannot let his animals be stressed and/or eaten by hungry wolves. That would cause a farmer to kill them.

The Gray Wolf (also called Timber Wolf) is labeled as least concern- which is what I assume most people think of when they think of a wolf. Thus, being their population is so great and not threatened as much as another species, they must be culled during certain times of the season. Too many wolves means too less deer, rabbit, etc. From my knowledge nobody can hunt willy-nilly! That would be bad, even if the species is concerned least concern. Well monitored hunting with special permissions is good for an ecosystem. (for this reason, too, one cannot kill as many female deer as male deer)

However, on the other hand you have the Red Wolf, which is critically endangered. Due to unregulated and over excessive hunting during the early days of the USA, the Red Wolf was at one time extinct in the wild. Now they are being bred in captivity and then released to raise their numbers.

There are many, many other wolf species (and sub species) that range dramatically on the least concern to endangered scale. I do not condone hunting of any kind of species that are endangered, however where populations boom and the animal is not in danger of being endangered, special hunting is beneficial.

The key is to not allow a species to be over populated, nor under populated. Both cases will lead to dramatic changes to the ecosystem.

Patchlamb
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:20 am

It ought to be pretty understandable that hatred for wolves, and perhaps by association coyotes, is widespread among rural areas. Within large metropolis the thought of them is pushed to the rear of the mind until you thought The Grey would be a nice movie to take your skittish girlfriend to go see. (Big mistake) Out of sight out of mind after all. In more rural areas, like where I live, wolves and other predatory dogs are fairly common. They aren't particularly hated where I live though farmers and livestock handlers are typically the ones to curse them the most. I mentioned coyotes as well because in the past half century or so the wolf population in my area has decreased to a point where coyotes are more common and act as the top of the food chain. (They're typically not.) The hatred honestly comes down to the animals killing and feeding on livestock from a long time ago and our view simply hasn't changed all to much concerning them if you still have to deal with these problems.

As far as wolves being endangered or overpopulated there are cases for both, but it's regional. To say that polar bears are endangered is true on a grand scale, but in specific areas they are regularly shot and killed because of an abundance of them and frankly safety. (If you're unaware polar bears will hunt humans to feed.) I live in Canada and towards the East there is a hybrid between wolves and coyotes, coywolves, that are steadily growing in population. It's kind of a mix of both which is somewhat frightening because coyotes are very accepting of others in their pack and it allows for them to grow well, likely why there's nearing an overpopulation of them here. Added to that they are larger than typical making the scavenger into a hunter.

Leli
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby STimore on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:01 pm

When I was young, my favorite animal was horse, until first grade. In first grade, I fell in love with wolves. In fourth grade, I visited the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife center, and got to see the multiple species of wolves that still exist, and even interact and touch an adolescent wolf. I remember how he smelled, nothing like a dog, but like warmth and hay, and something both untouchable and beautiful. Wolves are my love, and honestly, all consequences associated with wolves are, in one way or another, do to humans, and encroachment on their territories. I can understand why ranchers disliked them originally, but all livestock lost to wolves is paid for by the government. Wolves were once the top predator in North America. They were the Kings and Queens of the metaphorical jungle. Human beings hunted them to near extinction, a creature that was extremely widespread. I have never understood the idea behind killing wolves simply because of the livestock. Wolves that kill sheep or cows, even if it only a few such animals, will be attacked in ten fold. If you can't use every part of an animal, don't kill it. People kill animals whether edible or not. They kill the strongest, the biggest, the ones that survived. They go against the natural order of things. What wolves kill, they eat. What they don't eat is consumed by other predators. People don't eat wolves, or mountain lions, or bears.
I think what I hate the most is how cowardly it is. If you kill an animal for sport, you better put your life on the line. Using guns is almost as bad as traps. Aerial shooting is the single most pathetic way of killing something possible. There is no excuses.

Sorry, but I don't actually have a problem with hunting, so long as you do it right, and you honor the creature you kill. Hunting for sport is murder, pure and simple.

STimore
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!