Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

So I am wondering...

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

So I am wondering...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lovechanningforever on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 am

if it is possible to attract a small RPing group.
A really small one. About 3 (min) and 5 (max) RPers. I mostly like realistic themed RPs. From historical to modern BUT if it's ASOIAF or Game of Thrones in layman's term then I'm sold.

Just send me a PM if you have any ongoing idea that I may be interested in.

Oh and don't mind the immature screen name and topless Channing :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

lovechanningforever
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: So I am wondering...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:24 am

I usually work with fantasy, but I've been looking for a realistic roleplay for a while. I planned a dark mood, modern one, but I'm in for just about anything from that to Medieval romance (as the literary term, not as in love interests) or something. I'm always creeping around the interest checks so if you come up with anything interesting, I'll jump on it if I can.
"And that... Is all I can tell you." - The Bard.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

WaltJRimmer
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Walt, I'm interested in hearing about your idea and hope the OP is too. I tend to struggle in Midieval settings, but I make up for it by just being a little less descriptive when it comes to my surroundings. Bottom line is I can make it work. My preference would be something modern-day though.

Amarkov
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 pm

We started talking in PM, our time zones and schedules being different, we haven't been able to get too in depth about it yet, but we started talking about possibly a period piece around the late 1960's to mid 1970's in New Orleans that included either detectives and/or a murder mystery. If you want to talk to me about it, I'll be happy to, I don't want to speak for persons I don't know, but I would be surprised if, I'm trying to remember their name, Gina? The original poster, anyway. I would be surprised if she didn't appreciate your ideas on something like that.

WaltJRimmer
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lovechanningforever on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:18 pm

@walt- saw your PM and do not worry- I still think you are great with history.
going back to the topic- Walt was able to hit the target with the "1960's to mid 1970's in New Orleans that included either detectives and/or a murder mystery"

@amarkov- Problem is- I'm stumped! I have no idea how to start it. The idea is there but I'm lost. That's when the two of you come along :p

Now let's release our creative juices!

lovechanningforever
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Okidoki. How would you like to go about doing this? I'm not sure how much brainstorming went on already, but once I'm up to speed I can help plan :)

Amarkov
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lovechanningforever on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:51 pm

@walt- I forgot to explain KiK, its an app for android phone (not sure if its available for apple products) its free as long as you have net connection. A chat app to be precise.

@amarkov- actually there's none aside from the setting and general concept that I'm craving for. But there are some ideas I want to incorporate (if they could work- but not required to). One of them would be dealing with an african-american student (I am not a african-american BUT I am highly interested about their rights and struggles during that time). Another one would be having a female involved (not for romantic purposes but for gender equality- and no im not a feminist). I just think that during that time, a woman's credibility isn't that good so she also struggles to be heard.

I don't want the story to be "too heavy", I want some comedic air into it- but not to the point of it being a joke. I know you get what I mean (And I have to say sorry about having to describe my ideas in such profound ways since English isn't my first language- but I'm not entirely bad at it- its just there are some ideas that I explain better in my national language :) )

Maybe the daughter of the Mayor who's into cracking cases, a young police officer or agent who is out to prove his self, and/or a business man who's carried into the case by the young woman. I dunno- just a general but not a bad idea I think :) Oh and don't forget the Jazz :)

And there I go again, I'm blabbing. Feel free to blab guys. LOL.

lovechanningforever
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:04 am

Well, women, while they weren't treated as equals at the time in many respects, did have a place, they'd started pushing out more and more ever since the feminist movement and women's suffrage, the protests to give them the right to vote. In the 20's they started coming out more in the flapper style. By the 40's you had reporters and businesswomen and teachers that were all female, though usually were treated as inferior. So, but the time we're thinking of, around the early to mid 60's, the real heated part of the civil rights movement, many, especially rural and old-thinking people would still believe that a woman's place would be in the home, but you could have Nancy Drew style (but older), Batgirl kind of P.I. or professional, but it would be more difficult for them. It's the kind of time where they could get their foot in the door, but no matter how hard they tried they would never be one of the fat cats sitting in the big office chair in a high room.

I get what you mean about not being too heavy or too light (and then she tried baby bear's porridge and it was juuuust right), although that can be hard to achieve. I think right now it would be great to have one more person interested in this and then figure out how we want to run it. The basic story we can work out among ourselves or the GM can do it alone to keep things a secret from some of the players. (That's half the fun!) But the formula we use, the way we run the roleplay, it has to be something everyone's willing to try. It can be hard or even suicide to do some of the styles of roleplay. But even suicides get botched and work out for the best sometimes, so there's always a chance. (Eh, hope I didn't offend anyone with that and that you know what I meant. Sorry.) But as I said in a message to... Still can't remember you name. I'll have to go back to the OOC forum and find out later. As I told her, there are several ways to run it, some of which I favor, though they can be hard, VERY hard to run properly. What do you guy's think of what I've said so far?

WaltJRimmer
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 am

Sounds good to me. I'd be fine playing any of those roles mentioned, lovechanning. Walt, what do you mean by the style of RP? Are we talking play-by-post versus chatroom RP, or is this something where we'd be rolling for reflex checks like in D&D? I just didn't understand the "some styles of roleplay" bit. Are we still looking for a fourth member?

Amarkov
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:28 am

Alright, by style I mean how you run the thing. Just a minute, I'll quote my message to lovechanningforever.

I have attempted murder mysteries in the past to mixed success. I did one where there was a lot of excitement, but very little activity. I think a total of 2-4 posts, two of them introductory ones. There are lots of different ways to do a murder mystery. There's the Heavy Rain way, where you have different characters trying to get the evidence together. I don't want to give away the ending if you haven't played it, though, because that's an important aspect of the entire story. Then there's the Radioland Murders style, which is you have one of the players be the murderer and you set up each character as a potential victim. In the movie, you know who'll live because they're the obvious hero and love interest, but as a roleplay you would have the hero emerge instead of being focused on. In one like that, you have to make it a very important idea from the beginning, ALL players have a chance to have their character die. And then there's the traditional where you have detectives, or whoever fits your setting, investigating a murder and the GM gives the characters their clues through interviews, found objects, police work. If you wanted to do a murder mystery you would not only need a good story and players, you would also need to know what kind of murder mystery you wanted to have. I love a good Radioland, but finding the perfect number of people when everyone is a possible victim except the murderer (who's player can only have the ONE character) but you don't want the roleplay to be too short, we may want to wait when we're not looking for a smaller sized group.

Those are three basic ideas. To elaborate on each one:

Style 1: You have each person possibly come in contact with the others, but they each carry out their own investigation to try and solve the mystery. This is similar to the third style in that the GM will be the one to give the clues and challenges. It can also be similar to the second style in that one of the players could secretly be the murderer who's wishes are voiced through the GM.

Style 2: Everyone is potentially the murderer, potentially the murderer. The GM may or may not play a character, it's up to them. They could just dictate what happens, say what the murderer does or give voice to NPCs. In it, a hero emerges and a murderer is reveled, normally. It is possible to use a random number generator, such as dice, to say or will die or other outcomes. An aspect that can give this style some drama is a time limit. Every so many posts, everyone will have to go to a certain place and/or someone will die. It makes people put a lot in their posts and do collaborations, but it is not required.

Style 3: This is what I pictured for this roleplay the way we are talking at the moment. It is basically people working, together, separately, or a mix, to solve a crime as well as complete their own personal goal. None of the players can secretly be the murderer and the GM gives all the clues, not the murderer. I have seen ones like this where the murder, or mystery of whatever kind, is a red herring and it's the personal struggles going on around it that matter more.

Those are three examples I gave, but there are variations, different styles and so, SO MANY ways you could do one like this. I am terrible at explaining it, I'm sorry about that. But yes, that's what I mean

WaltJRimmer
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

That third one does sound the most straight-forward to me, and much closer to what I'm used to already. It has my vote if I'm included in this so far :) But if it seems better to do one of the other two styles, I'm game to give it a shot. I'll just need a lot more direction until I get the hang of it if we do dice-rolling, etc. I've played D&D before but only in person, so forum-based rolling for outcomes is a little foreign to me.

Amarkov
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lovechanningforever on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 pm

@walt: My mind went fuzzy after this line:
The basic story we can work out among ourselves or the GM can do it...
LOL. But I re-read it and understood what you are pointing out.

@amarkov- of course you are silly! :)

About the fourth member, what if no one joins (not being debbie downer just being realistic) are the two of you be willing to double your characters?

And who agrees with me in making Walt the GM and mastermind?! *nudges Amarkov and raises hand* I'm sorry if I putting a lot of weight on your shoulders Walt :p But I really think you can do better than I do, I'd probably just bitch around and nag if things doesn't turn the way I want them to be. But what I can do is be the secret keeper on who the culprit is and choose who is suit to be "it". As well as add more to the storyline. I really really really want to make this work.

Oh and for everybody's sanity sake, My name's Gina you can all stop calling me Channing :)

About the Women's rights during that time, I'm envisioning it as something similar to "The Help" era and/or Nancy Drew (like Walt mentioned).

lovechanningforever
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Aye to all. I love doubling up on characters actually, and will certainly do so if that's a good idea.

Walt as co-GM sounds good. Would that make me the only person whose sole role is player character then? I mean, I'm totally fine with that if that's the case. Just don't want it to seem like I'm not pulling my weight :P

And LOL... Gina it is!

Amarkov
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 pm

I... I don't know if I would be good to run it, but I could try. If I did, I'd want to be creator and run it my way. I'm not saying that's a good idea, but I've had some bad experiences with trying to do the whole co-gm thing before. I tried to do it twice, the first time something just went terribly wrong when the person created the roleplay and because they worked from an iPad, nothing with their typing worked properly, so the roleplay didn't even get started. (Actually, it was an interesting idea that I might have to ask if she minds me using it to start something myself.) The second time it was a 1x1 and it ended very quickly.

IF I do start this up and we don't like how I'm running it, I will happily hand it over to someone else. I know from experience I can be hard to work with. I'm trying to change but for some reason I don't seem to be able to learn from my mistakes...

So! If we do the third style, sure, we can probably start now, or soon, and it could work. If we want to wait, not saying we should, we can do that as well. Do we think there should be anything else to talk about?

P.S.

I have been having a massive problem with writer's block recently. For me, it's not a one day thing, it can last from days to weeks. I don't know if I'm over it because I started writing again last night, so I might be. If I'm not, it may take me a little to write the loose plot to work the story around.

WaltJRimmer
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lovechanningforever on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:27 am

No problem Walt!

Soooo---- I've come to decision then. We can all be co-GM's since it is most likely to be a small roleplay.
What does the two of you say about that?!

And Walt, if you are saying you are difficult to RP with because of some factors, can you tell us what does factors are (if you are willing to tell- if not then we understand) so that we can adjust as well :) The key to a good RP is that the members communicate right?

@Amarkov- what should I call you? And if you have the same circumstance as Walt- what do you think are some of the factors that affects your RP-ing whoo-hah :p But seriously, what kind or RPer are you.

As for me (this is for the both of you), I think I've said what kind of RP I like. My RP-ing style mostly depends on how affected I am with my character. I try to re-live my character and get in the zone when writing- in fact (don't laugh at me for this) I sometimes get emotional- but not to the point of crying :p

What do I like about my co-RPers?! Well let's start with what I don't like- that's easier. LOL

1. Houdinis- The one who loves to disappear.

2. Kreachers- Seriously, if you are going to be an elf don't be kreacher. He always finds a way to ruin something.

3. Passive people- ehhh I think that explains everything.

And more... LOL

lovechanningforever
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:57 am

When it comes to the question of why I can be difficult to work with, I don't know specifically. I just know I am. I don't know what it is about my writing or myself, but people often have trouble working with me, not just in roleplays. If I knew, I'd be more than willing to share and I would try to learn from it to do it differently. But I really don't.

Hey, if you get into your character and feel what they feel, that's just a step away from method acting and is certainly not a bad thing. That's actually one of the things I like in a fellow writer. I don't think I'd be able to list my likes or dislikes, nothing more than the usual complaints, I guess.

Wait... We're all co-gm? So, that's basically saying there is no GM? Not really sure how that works.

WaltJRimmer
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:47 pm

You can call me Alex if we're getting real-name informal :) Which I am totally cool with.

About me as a roleplayer:

I like to respond to posts as quickly as possible, so it's very rare that I'll wait more than a day or two before answering. If I do need to go away for more than a handful of days I'll let you both know.

I love playing multiple characters and usually match the posting style of my partners. So, long, meaty, 6-paragraph posts will get the same from me. Moderate, semi-descriptive 3-paragraph posts will be matched. Quick-and-dirty one paragraph posts just to push us along will receive the same. I really don't mind any of those above styles, but I find one to two sentence posts a little pointless. There are exceptions, though, like during a scene that's a conversation between two characters over a phone or something.

I'm extraordinarily patient and hard to annoy. So, Walt, don't worry about me! If I get confused about something regarding your RP style, I'll just ask for clarification. Any snags that come up will be worked out.

I tend to make characters who have a LOT of growing to do. I'm a sucker for character development and my favorite thing is to watch someone weak/unmotivated/selfish/uninformed become a better, stronger, and smarter person as a RP progresses. Occasionally I'll even make a character who I dislike severely in the beginning of the RP, only to have him/her become one of my favorites by the end.

Which brings me to the last bit: I play characters of either gender, any age, and almost any profession. The wonders of Wikipedia help me to learn what I need to in order to fudge through a character's technical knowledge, haha. I'm fine with romance but usually don't like it to be the sole focus of an RP. I don't really have limits, but I obey the site's rating rules. I ask permission like crazy, to the point where my partners are sometimes like "oh my god, it's okay, your character can sock mine in the shoulder, you don't have to ask!"

I also am a little confused about the three-way GMing (aka no GM?) angle. Would this mean we just start off, and when we want to plan a plot twist we do it in OOC chat together?

Amarkov
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lovechanningforever on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:01 am

@amarkov- I'm the same about patience most of the time :) So I think that's a good sign

About the 3 way GM- well yeah I suppose that's the way it works- not really as in No GM but probably a more open view of each other's ideas.

lovechanningforever
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:14 pm

So, are we thinking we should start this soon? Did we start and I missed it? Honestly, I've been kind of busy with a new roleplay I joined, but now that it's rolling, I should be free enough to work on this if we're still looking. Amarkov, aren't you in the other one I'm in right now?

WaltJRimmer
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 am

Yessir I am! I'm down to start planning if we are gonna do the three-way story plotting thing.

Amarkov
Member for 8 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!