Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism »

Players Wanted: Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. »

Yellow Journalism: Needful Evil or Incredibly Dangerous

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Yellow Journalism: Needful Evil or Incredibly Dangerous

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Definition for those curious from Wikipedia:

Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism. By extension, the term yellow journalism is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.

Yellow Journalism as you can see is presenting a point simply to sell more newspaper or draw attention to the article, you often see this sort of sensationalizing in Media or on Facebook, but do you believe that it is needed and should be allowed or is the existence of it incredibly dangerous. This is due to the fact that presenting information in such this way could lead to adverse reactions and xenophobia or other some negative emotions growing.
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rulke
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Yellow Journalism: Needful Evil or Incredibly Dangerous

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:32 pm

Well, as most in the USA know, yellow journalism was one of the main factors that caused the Spanish-American War. It accused the Spanish of blowing up the battleship Maine off the coast of Cuba. Truthfully, there have been several investigations that have "found" that the explosion was caused by anything from a mine to a coal bunker fire. But because some of the biggest newspapers in the nation said that Spain had taken violence against the US and had destroyed one of our ships, killing hard working Americans, we were led to a war with them. Yellow Journalism was a direct contributor.

Now, some may say that the war would have happened anyway, but it's an example of how yellow journalism can incite people to extremes. We've seen this with politics, military action, court cases and most of all, medical studies that put fake or misleading numbers in front of you to try to "prove" they're right. In fact, almost every view can "prove" they are right and the other one is wrong if they just show you as much or little research as they want.

Now, to answer the question directly, it is bad, wrong and dangerous. It is something that has cost people money, time and even lives. It has caused riots, legislation and, as I said before, wars. Every time you watch a high profile trial on the news and scream at the outcome saying, "How could you find them [not] guilty?!!?" you have to understand that you are watching a journalist's opinionated, biased version of the trial while the jurors are in the court, listening to every piece of evidence, every testimony and is unable to listen to the news and the biased ideas of the public. That being said, we cannot make it illegal.

I know people say "Free Speech" a lot and use it as an excuse to do almost anything, but here it does fit. If we outlaw yellow journalism, anyone in politics or law could call anything "yellow" and get it banned because they don't have enough evidence behind them. How much is enough? How can you prove the bias of the poll was within tolerance? Who says what the tolerance is? If we outlawed yellow journalism, we could potentially prevent horrible events caused by mass panic of overblown stories, but we would also open ourselves to suppression of information and journalism by the government. Would I like to trust them and say, "Yes, they would be able to know what should and shouldn't be published and be responsible enough not to abuse that power." Yes, I would love for that to be true, but it's not. Even if I was in charge of this, I wouldn't be able to trust myself not to throw out something that I didn't agree with. So yes, it's bad and dangerous, but we can't make a law about it. We have to look for multiple sources and do our own research to find the real evidence. But that takes effort on our part and who's willing to do that anymore?
"And that... Is all I can tell you." - The Bard.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

WaltJRimmer
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Yellow journalism is a cancer in my eyes. It is the thing that leads to the dumbing down of a population.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Toxicjinx on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:17 pm

"Remember the Maine, To Hell With Spain!" I just finished learning about that 'pleasant little war' in U.S. History a few weeks ago, and I personally think Yellow Journalism was pretty unnecessary, it only worked the public up about nearly nothing.
The Brinking Point is looking for Players, right now! c:

Toxicjinx
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Haha! I live in Israel, it seems like everything international towards us these days is as yellow as a lemon and just as sour.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saarai on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:57 am

We should only have yellow journalism. No, but seriously, it's bad. It's bad practice, it fools people and it hurts more than it will ever help. While I'm sure this will not happen in my lifetime, unless more people start to see how screwed news is and speak up, I think news outlets should not be allowed to voice their own opinions on air or talks about things that have not happened unless it's only speculation.

You get tired of hearing about what Obama said in his inaugural speech about his plans to give America to the Israeli Mossad. Maybe it wouldn't be as tiring if it wasn't a lie.

At least, if they're going to be stupid, can they be stupid and stop telling people something is the highest form of truth when really it's just a steaming pile of not-so-fertile bullshit.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Saarai
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 am

Selling fake news is illegal.
ImageRespect ma authoritah!
Are you irritated at coming last in every single thing? Don't worry. For just a cookie, I'll be TheFinalOne.

TheFinalOne
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hyperewok on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:51 am

TheFinalOne wrote:Selling fake news is illegal.

But unfortunately there's nothing illegal about horrendously biased, politicized, and/or misinterpreted 'news'. (On the other hand, is anything ever truly without bias?)

Hyperewok
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:07 am

Hyperewok wrote:
TheFinalOne wrote:Selling fake news is illegal.

But unfortunately there's nothing illegal about horrendously biased, politicized, and/or misinterpreted 'news'. (On the other hand, is anything ever truly without bias?)

This is where things get grey. Nothing is totally without bias, so good scientists, journalists and other professions work to keep their bias within a reasonable tolerance. On the other hand, there are those who intentionally bias information to make it come out the way they want. You must prove something by showing it cannot be disproven, not by showing it is possible. But by just showing it is possible, it can be called research and shown to the masses as science.. Also, you ARE allowed to sell false news if you sell it as comedy. Weekly World News actually would publish real, researched articles occasionally, but it was sold as comedy because the VAST majority of articles were fictional. Michael Moore sold his movies as comedy, not documentary so he wouldn't have the burden of proving his research. That's not me saying it was all lies, just that he didn't want to prove otherwise. But there are many popular news outlets that mix real and fake news, sometimes yellow news, all together and have no problems because it is under the heading of comedy, even though large groups of people get their real news from these outlets.

(PS. I wrote this from my phone as my computer is currently unavailable, so I apologize for any mistakes that may have caused.)

WaltJRimmer
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!