Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Do you 'txt-talk?'

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

If you have something you want to present to the entire community, post it here.

Is txt-talking cool to do on the forums and in the chat?

Yes
No votes
No
94%
Only if you're a certain person
No votes
Chat is just like SMS
No votes
Wut r u talking about?
6%

Total votes : 17

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faithy on Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:19 pm

<3 This was written with you all in mind. I hope you enjoy.

Down with text talk.
Submitted by Faithy.

You see it everywhere you go on the internet. It seems to pop out at you like a badly dressed prom date that has a booger hanging from his or her nose. No matter how many times you scrub your eyes, the image somehow never leaves. When you think you’ve finally removed it from your mind, you click on another link and WHAMMO, there it is again. What on Earth could I be talking about? I’m describing the seemingly growing movement of laziness in regards to “txt” talking. You’ve all seen the “Save the Vowel Movement” banners all over AL and I’m sure those with half a brain have actually read them, but have you taken a moment to dwell on what it truly means?

“I am anti- ‘txt talk.’ I support good grammar. I am part of the ‘Save the Vowels’ movement. For your sanity and mine, type out your DAMN words. Thank you.”

Come on people it takes an extra point one second to press the other two letters to make “your” instead of just typing “ur.” That’s the same for all the other words people have attempted to “abbreviate” in order to make their lives “easier.” Let’s take a stand and stop being so DAMN lazy. I once read an article which spoke about how students now-a-days are writing not only their notes and hand-written assignments in “txt talk” but computer produced reports. That was the most depressing thing I had read in a while. Has society gone down that badly that our school systems are being affected by the way people “speak” on forums, e-mails, and instant messages?

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Of those that I have spoken to, they agree that this way of typing has become an issue not just on certain forums, but throughout the entire internet, which is sad. I’m going to quote some posts from different forums so that we can not only get an opinion from a fellow ALer [myself] but from others as well.

“I've loved this thing [“Save the Vowel” movement] from the moment I heard about it. I think it's a great attempt to rid the world of half-baked attempts at the English language (which I hold in very high regard.)

Those text-talkers suffer from IVS: Irritable Vowel Syndrome where they pour their excremented vowels on the blackboard of the internet!!! (It's actually a very graphic metaphor. Don't think too hard onto it.)

Yay for proper English on the internet!”

“People who can not spell scare me.
Those who do not even dare to use proper grammar when they know it quite well annoy me.
Those who are just too damn lazy should burn for the horrors that they are committing upon the earth with how they speak.
I may be laughed at here at school and work and nearly everywhere.
However I am proud to speak well.
I am also proud to spell correctly.
Most of all I am glad to be around people who prefer to do the same.
For if we were all meant to speak in text talk, then why would there be correct ways to spell in the first place.”

“Indeed, English is the most descriptive and accurate modern language. If one used to the full words available in our lexicon for speech and writing, there would be no ambiguities.”

“A different form of English? Impressive?! No less? Bring forth the royal spoon and let the gagging commence!

Mankind as a whole is dumber because of peeps like Trevor X. If anyone's new to e-mail, it's him.”

Now… in order to understand where that last quote came from, I must subject you all to the pain and agony I was recently plagued with.

Example X: i saw ur message let me know where you are.
Rebuttal: Ah, I see. I prefer one that can type in complete sentences and use capital letters as well as proper punctuation. I also prefer a person that can type out his words, so yeah...
Example X: you must be new to sending e-mails (&#61663; New to sending e-mails? O.o; Riiight)
Rebuttal: Umm, no. I'm just intelligent and prefer people that can type that way, sorry.
Example X: e-mails use a different form of english you soon get used to it (They do?! Holy shit!)
Rebuttal: I don't think you understand me. I don't like people that can't type out words, e-mail or not. Sorry, but that's where I stand.
Example X: then you wont impress anyone on e-mail you need to understand the language
Rebuttal: My friends all use the intelligent form of writing, even while e-mailing back and forth. If you are too lazy to do so, then stop e-mailing me.
Example X: youre wasting my time bye

Now tell me… Is there really a “new language” for e-mail? I mean seriously… does humankind need to get any lamer? Stop being a douche bag and type out your words, use proper punctuation and show people you’re worth something…!

“I don't mind English grammar and spelling problems when you're from, say, Japan or China (or another country where English isn't even a Second language), although it does tick me off, I can't go off on you for it, because it's not your primary language.

Then you have the people who have the native language of English and they purely suck at it, either they're incompetent, completely stupid, ignorant or don't give a damn. These get to me, and this is what the future of the nation looks like:

"0MAGAWD!!!111 I cent' belife et!!!!!!111 I wuld liek 2 thk teh Nayshon 4 el...elecd....elictrefiiign meh 2 offece!!111 Tere iz kno geetar pozishon en teh wurld I wuld hve wnatd!"

I'll be shaking those brain cells out later on, when my brain finally lets the dead ones detach as it re-routes some of my intelligence to make up for the massive loss from forcing myself to type that out.”

Please people, I’m pleading with you. Do us all a favor and type out your damn words!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Faithy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:43 am

LOL: Study shows short-forms comprise only 2.4% of teenage IMs
Clive Thompson wrote:October 02, 2006
LOL: Study shows short-forms comprise only 2.4% of teenage IMs

Parents and grammar nazis tend to flip out at instant messaging -- because they worry the technology is ruining kids' ability to write correctly. All those short forms! WTF! OMG! We're breeding a nation of illiterates!

So I was intrigued to find a study of teenage IM chat that found that nu-wave short forms comprise a mere 2.4 per cent of their communications. University of Toronto professor Sali Tagliamonte spent two years examining the IM chats of 71 teenagers -- collecting over 1 million words. The result? Behold the periodicity of these following common short forms:

Frequency per 100,000 words:
LOL -- "laughing out loud": 195
omg -- "oh my god": 107
brb -- "be right back": 31
ttyl -- "talk to you later: 30
btw -- "by the way": 22
nvm -- "never mind": 7
gtg -- "gotta go": 5
np -- "no problem: 4
nm -- "not much": 3
lmao -- "laughing my ass off": 2

Hardly the sort of linguistic rot we've been led to believe, eh? "There's a misconception this is sloppy and ruinous," as Tagliamonte told the Toronto Star. "It's not. It demonstrates kids are really creative with their language. It's a medium that lends itself to brevity so they have developed these short forms."

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that too many kids these days aren't blithering illiterates. I regularly receive bleak, bleak reports from friends of mine who teach high school or even first-year college classes. But me, I'm old-school: I blame whole language. What a total train-wreck of a pedagogical approach.
Ludwig von Mises, The Theory of Money and Credit wrote:Perpetual vigilance on the part of the citizens can achieve what a thousand laws and dozens of alphabetical bureaus with hordes of employees never have and never will achieve: the preservation of a sound currency.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saladin on Mon May 14, 2007 7:46 am

I must agree with Faith here.

The use of 'txt-tlk' is a plague upon the internet, and shows, in my mind either a distinct lack of intelligence and literary ability, or a supreme laziness.

Either way, despite what some people think, as Faith also mentioned, it is not only as easy to type correctly, but in my experience, it is easier to do so.

And when being forced to read this new 'language', it not only cause my eyes to melt, but hurts my brain.

Correct grammar and punctuation are essential in getting your point across when communicating through writing. Here is an example:

hell soon be going to the shop in order to buy some bread preferably white with easily cut crusts as it is important for his young child as she is unable to chew through crusts in bread as he came to the shop he wondered what was going to be the outcome of the trip hoping he would achieve his goal should he not get the easily cut bread then he would be forced to bake some of his own

Now, what that should have been typed out as:

He'll soon be going to the shop in order to buy some bread; preferably white, with the easily cut crusts, as it is important for his young child, for she unable to chew through crusts in bread. As he came to the shop, he wondered what was going to be the outcome of the trip, hoping he would achieve his goal. Should he not get the easily cut bread, he would be forced to make some of his own.

I know I have no reason to ask which was easiest, and most comprehensible, to read. Obviously, it was the second post. And the factor that made it easier was the usage of correct grammar and punctuation; allowing the, rather nonsensical, passage to be read with a more natural flow.

So, along with Faith; I will plead that, along with using the full spelling of words, you also use correct grammar and punctuation.

Now, remember, we are here to help you, and should you need help with grammar and/or spelling, do not hesitate to contact us. In general, the staff members are usually VERY busy, but you are welcome to ask for assistance or feedback on your posts in both the Growth and RP Academy forums, where there will be Moderators and Tutors willing to help you with any problems you have.

And, most importantly, have fun. And remember, melting eyes are NOT fun!

RPGateway Moderator and RPAcademy Principal
~Lord Saladin

Lord Saladin
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Midnight on Mon May 14, 2007 12:10 pm

I do use text but not when I rp or write. Most of the time its only when I'm chatting with a buddy on a messenger and then its only like lol for something funny and thats about it.

Midnight
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azmodai2 on Mon May 14, 2007 5:15 pm

I think the arguement is starting to polarize too much. We are getting too close to the extremes of what is txt-tlk. While 'txt tlk' is not appropriate in many circumstances, such as RP, a forum post or formal document, it is ok in a non-formal setting, like an IM or private chat. To say that it represents a lack of intelligence, aptitude, ability or a penchant for laziness is stereotyping in the extreme. I, quite often, use 'txt-tlk' when IMing as not only has it become a habit but, unlike Saladin, I find it easier when I need to type a message very quickly and still have it make sense. To be honest, and I am not trying to brag or make myself look good, I am certainly not stupid, lacking in writing ability nor lazy.

In regards to Saladin's example that is not purely txt-tlk, in fact most txt-tlkers use punctuation, that is a complete lack of knowledge of conventions and the reason it is so difficult to understand is not because words are contracted but because no punctuation was used at all in the entire paragraph.

On the flip-side I do agree that it is NOT a new form of the English language, it is most certainly not a necessity, however for some people it may make life easier. I realize in certain settings txt-tlk is not appropriate however one cannot discriminate against someone elses preferred form of communication simply because they don't like it, although txt-tlk is best left for private mediums or willing parties.

I stress that in a forum post txt-tlk is never correct and that proper grammar, spelling, punctuation and capitalization are desired.

RP Academy Tutor
~Azmdoai2

Azmodai2
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Mon May 14, 2007 5:55 pm

Oh my... I need to break out something.

Well, the easiest of the two to remember is this:

WHY PUNCTUATION IS IMPORTANT.

Simple sentance: woman without her man is nothing

Men would say: Woman, without her man, is nothing.

Women would say: Woman! Without her, man is nothing.

Note the extreme difference. Now for the one that is really hard to find...

And I found it!

Dear John: I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy--will you let me be yours? Gloria

Dear John: I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be? Yours, Gloria

miyumi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HAL on Mon May 14, 2007 5:57 pm

You are not the boss of me, miyumi. Would you like to have feelings whatsoever when we? Under what circumstances? I am not sure I agree with your assumptions, miyumi.

HAL
Member for 13 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saladin on Mon May 14, 2007 6:09 pm

Wow!

HAL's an idiot. I am saying no more on that subject, as we all know about the lacking of HAL's IQ.

And Miyumi, you definitely got the example of grammar and punctuation much better than me. Showing much clearer the importance that it carries in our writing, and what our words mean.

Azmodai, my example was not of a 'txt-tlkr'. As it says in my post, I was demonstrating the habit some people have of using no punctuation whatsoever, and asking that people do so.

It is just a case that Miyumi did a much better job of it than I did. :P

RPGateway Moderator and RP Academy Principal
~Lord Saladin

Lord Saladin
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Previous

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.