YOUR Music

a topic in Music, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Are you a budding musician? Share with us here!

YOUR Music

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:51 pm

I was listening to music (becuase no one does that) and found that I really like the band, Muse - a band that I heard little about, and I had never listened to their music before a couple days ago. I have to say, a new hyped fan is about to be born (I just have to listen to more of their songs).

The point of this topicis, a: to find out what bands ya'll listen to that are relatively unknown to the world or your specific country/region, and b: expand my music-listening portfolio by seeing your suggestions.

For me, there's Muse, which I consider unknown just because they were unknown to me, and Arctic Monkeys, who aren't very well known in Canada (and the US, perhaps?) but seem to be big(ger) in the UK, Australia, and some countries that don't speak english as a first language (I think?). I also have enjoyed a few songs from Slow Club and some other english bands. I especially love english bands who tend to keep their accents and are all ... english-accenty-like. I was also hoping to search for some english rappers/hip-hop guys/ladies because of the accent thing again ... I'm strange in that way.

Anywho, enough of me. What about you people?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

iamsheena
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: YOUR Music

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BSX on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:59 pm

Kylie Minogue - She's not that well known in the states, but to be honest I think she better than most of the female singers on this side of the Atlantic. Her concerts are top notch in my opinion I had to go to youtube to view her X Tour and Showgirl: The Homecoming, which I would love to get to see live if only she was more popular here. Her 9th album "Body Language" I think holds some of her best work, however most people seems to like "Impossible Princess" or "X"

Sky Eats Airplane - They're from my home state and was a 2 person group but later changed to a 5 piece band when the original singer left. I like them because they mix "metal. electronina, and nintendocore" together and their songs are not written in the verse-chorus pattern. Chaotic fun.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

BSX
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kevah on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:01 pm

I live in the USA, but I heard this person. Saltillo.
It's like. Trip-Hop, Down tempo, electronica, somewhat instrumental.

I don't know what kind of stuff you like. i think I've heard of Muse before, though. But give that guy a listen. [:
Here's a youtube link. xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwtCgm3M ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCFYMU6A ... re=related

<3 Hope you like.

Oh and English guy: It's more like Slam/Spoken Word/rap-ish, again, not sure if you like that stuff, but the lyrics are like, different. :o

They're called The Streets, here's a few:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pLG6zY ... re=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-lfq4H_CsM

Kevah
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SaveYou on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:51 am

I like The Script, who are new on the scene here, and I LOVE their song "Falling To Pieces" (Youtube isn't working for me right now, otherwise I'd give you a link)

Another new-ish band I'm getting into is Forever The Sickest Kids, who are like pop-punk. I've only heard one of their songs, though - "Woah Oh (Me vs Everyone)

And two more relatively new-ish bands to me, at least - All Time Low and Go:Audio. Again, I recomend you look them up if you like pop-punkish music =3

SaveYou
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BSX on Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:28 pm

SaveYou, I've heard of Forever The Sickest Kids as well, but think they have a lot of people in the band. Funny you should mention FTSK because Sky Eats Airplane has them on their top friends list. I also heard All time Low and kind of like them. Their version of Umbrella-ella-ella-a-a is on point. Similar to how Britney Spears Toxic was turned into a rock/metal hit.

BSX
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:49 pm

I've only ever heard two of Kylie Minogue's songs and that was like 6 or 7 years ago. I just remember Can't Get You Out of My Head (or whatever it was called) because my little sister as a baby was literally drawn to that song (she's now 7) because of the na na/la la part. I haven't heard any recent songs though.

I listened to the two songs offered from Saltillo and I can see why some people may like .. him, but it's not quite my cup of tea. And for The Streets, I liked, like, the chorus bits, but just the speaking wasn't quite my style either, but I can see why people like the music as well.

So many suggestions! I haven't listened to the other bands quite yet, but I will! Amazing how different the styles of each band/artist are. Lovely.

iamsheena
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eventide on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:28 am

I've been listening to the song Parade from the movie Paprika's soundtrack... really addicting stuff.

The other bands are Bright Eyes and Franz Ferdinand. I've known them before, but I never really listened to their music besides a handful of songs. But recently I have been, and I'm pretty much impressed with all of their music.

Eventide
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PixieLove on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:40 pm

teehee, music! love music, its what i live for!
nuf said

PixieLove
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:17 pm

Rise Against! The very essence of hardcore punk... I-it's... Well, the original straight edge wave would be proud <33, sure, Tim Mcllrath yells sings kinda odd, but with those lyrics you don't need freaking instruments. Is Opeth still that unknown? It's been too damn long since I last flicked on the tube... Anyhoo, Opeth's cute in a weird way, the songs are bloody long and at times you'll swear it's 2-5 different songs stuck together >.<

Safisan
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnforgivenIII on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:32 am

I listen to a lot of bands. My favorite band of all time has to be Linkin Park though. I also listen too: Three Days Grace, Simple Plan, Metallica, Trapt, Breaking Benjamin, Papa Roach, Rise Against, Pychostick( an awesome band on youtube that are hilarious) , Blink 182( soooooo glad they are back together) Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Sum 41 Flyleaf, Disturbed, Finger Eleven, Evanessance, Dope, Megadeth (thanks to my dad.... XD) Bullet For My Valentine, Atreyu, Seether, Coldplay, 10 years, Bad Religion, Fort Minor, ACDC, Drowning Pool, Weird Al, Tomster(The new Weird Al) System For A Down, Saosin, Bowling For Soup, X-ray Dog, Red Razor Noise(also another awesome youtube band, also does some kick ass covers) Trans Siberian Orchestra, Within Temptations, 3 Doors Down, five finger death punch, a little bit of guns and roses, random peoples covers of songs, and other songs and bands I hear on the radio
Never Ever Piss. Me. Off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ RAWR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UnforgivenIII
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Abstract Calamity on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:09 pm

I generally like all music and don't care about specific bands. I'll listen to and enjoy just about anything, except for rap and some classical. Everything else is good, and I do mean everything. However, my favorite songs tend to be anime openings. Don't ask me why, they just are. Currently my two favorites are the openings to Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Lucky Star (two very different animes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKV195eXg7I <-- Higurashi opening. Full song, the video is unofficial but partly made using the original.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieQ1rAIjzXc <-- Lucky Star opening. Full song, the video is unofficial but made entirely from the original.
"The night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies.
The contract, is it worth the price?
A soul pledged to the darkness.
Now I've lost it, I know I can kill.
The truth is just beyond the Gate!"

Abstract Calamity
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thesiren on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:55 pm

My favorite band at the moment has to be Modest Mouse, I just simply love them;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqHCpsxzg2M

also I have just discovered this ambient artist that I'm enjoying very much, his name is Brian Eno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOgQyIMX_XU
1234 tell me that you love me more

thesiren
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Otte on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 am

I've recently begun to adore VAST (Visual Audio Sensory Theatre), a sort of industrial/metal/alternative band. They have some amazing tracks, and videos. A few of their songs are pretty weak, but you should totally check them out.

Also Blaqk Audio is awesome, it's just a side-project from one of the dudes off AFI that released one album. They have a very 80s, new-wave feel to their music which is pretty cool.

A lot of what I listen to is game soundtracks and remixers, so I'm not sure if this counts but Mazedude does the best remixes, and Naoki does some really fast-paced, aweosme tracks on DDR. Along with game remixers, Hyadain does some great vocal mixes of various game songs, from Mario and Megaman 2 notably. The videos can be hilarious as well, like the first time you hear "Crash! (let's do it)" you'll generally be cracking up at how bizarre it is, but then he can make something like My First Friend which reduces plenty of people on youtube to manly tears ;D

Otte
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:55 pm

Moved this to the music forum, for the record.

Now as to this question itself, I enjoy quite a bit of music, although I'm not exactly entirely sure how to truly differentiate the unknown from the known as clearly virtually every reputable act out there will have been heard by somebody, but I think the angle here was for those bands and artists which don't receive as much attention. There is lots of wonderful music out there, but you really just have to poke around a bit to find it.

But first.

Safisan wrote:Rise Against! The very essence of hardcore punk... I-it's... Well, the original straight edge wave would be proud <33, sure, Tim Mcllrath yells sings kinda odd, but with those lyrics you don't need freaking instruments. Is Opeth still that unknown? It's been too damn long since I last flicked on the tube... Anyhoo, Opeth's cute in a weird way, the songs are bloody long and at times you'll swear it's 2-5 different songs stuck together >.<

I love Rise Against as much as the next person, but they are extremely far from hardcore punk. Even their most fast-paced and furious tracks could only be considered melodic hardcore at best and that's being extremely lenient here. I like to think of them as just a punk band. Or that they were just a punk band and now just play more of a kind of general rock sorta thing with the occasional four-chord punk track thrown in.

With that out of the way, I really love the Arctic Monkeys. Seriously, it is unfair how catchy those guys are. But if you like that kind of catchy English-flavored rock, try some Futureheads, a bit of Mando Diao, some Living End, and we'll go with Young Knives to finish it off.

Kouketsu
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Paramorex on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:45 pm

Four Years Strong
Boys Like Girls
Lily Allen
Good Charlotte
All Time Low
The Maine
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Forever the Sickest Kids
Plain White T's
Owl City
3oh!3
Escape the Fate
Jamestown Story
Four Years Strong
Yellow Card
Secondhand Serenade
Mayday Parade

Most of them are alternative/rock. In the USA they aren't extremely popular with the radio stations but more so with i guess stereotyped punks and that type.
Lily Allen is British and she isn't too big here but her songs have strange yet humorous meanings.

Paramorex
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Kouketsu wrote:I love Rise Against as much as the next person, but they are extremely far from hardcore punk. Even their most fast-paced and furious tracks could only be considered melodic hardcore at best and that's being extremely lenient here. I like to think of them as just a punk band. Or that they were just a punk band and now just play more of a kind of general rock sorta thing with the occasional four-chord punk track thrown in.

It isn't just the pace, y'know? Their beliefs are that of a straight edge, and *that's* hardcore punk... The overall point of it though, is that Rise Against pwns.

Safisan
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Safisan wrote:
Kouketsu wrote:I love Rise Against as much as the next person, but they are extremely far from hardcore punk. Even their most fast-paced and furious tracks could only be considered melodic hardcore at best and that's being extremely lenient here. I like to think of them as just a punk band. Or that they were just a punk band and now just play more of a kind of general rock sorta thing with the occasional four-chord punk track thrown in.

It isn't just the pace, y'know? Their beliefs are that of a straight edge, and *that's* hardcore punk... The overall point of it though, is that Rise Against pwns.

But straightedge honestly hasn't been very hardcore since the 80's. There are tons of bands that kinda advertise themselves as explicitly straightedge but don't play hardcore music. The sound is what I'd like to believe makes a hardcore band a hardcore band - screamed/yelled vocals, blistering pace, raw and under-produced guitars, and so on. A lot of the ethos detached from the music long ago. If we were citing things like straightedge, I'd be able to cite the fact that Rise Against being signed to major record labels is extremely anti-punk in so many ways and therefore they would not be a punk band, but because there's a distinct sound that identifies the genre instead of extraneous things, that makes it a somewhat silly argument. But I do digress.

Kouketsu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BSX on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:56 pm

Why do people act like signing to a major label and "pop" music is evil?

BSX
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:14 pm

BSX wrote:Why do people act like signing to a major label and "pop" music is evil?

I don't necessarily think it's a very evil thing by any stretch of the imagination because most people like being successful and they like making money, but there are certain genres of music - punk most prominently - which are built upon a DIY anti-establishment ethic and frequently frown upon major record labels and major label acts because it is viewed as contributing to a grander corporate machine that actively attempts to force out independent/underground acts while promoting only their own artists. The implication is that this directly detracts from the notion of making music for the sake of making music and instead turns it into an occupation rather than an art or a passion.

Kouketsu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BSX on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:40 pm

I believe 99% of music today regardless of genre (which are nothing but pigeon holes that trap an artist from creating) is made for profit. I feel the artistry and creative interpretation is infinitely greater than sales and awards yet most don’t hold that view. For them the later is used to determine the talent. The underground/independent will never go away to me. There’s always someone out there doing it for the music, They‘re hungry to play, create, perform and have others enjoy their work . Depending on your goals you don’t even need to sign to a contract, just play shows and use your website/word-of-mouth for promotion.

BSX
Member for 12 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!