Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

Zeltis (a novel, please comment)

a topic in The Writer's Lounge, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

A place for original short stories, fanfiction, essays, and the like.

Zeltis (a novel, please comment)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Chapter one

The asphalt passed under Alex at almost dizzying speed. The Vibration and noise sent a pleasant sensation of power rushing through him, as he raced down the road on his motorcycle. He gripped the handles with leather gloves, and his dark blond hair blew out behind him, in the wind.

There was a rather large van ahead and cars where coming quickly from the other direction. He was moving fast, and had to slow down quickly, his tires screeching in protest as he slid sideways to try and stop. He clenched his teeth in frustration. He hated waiting, which was one of the reasons he loved his motorcycle. He could usually zip right around slow cars, but today there wasn’t enough room on the right to pass since there was a ditch, and incoming cars in the other lane.

The moment it seemed clear, Alex sped up and tried to pass, despite the fact he was going around a curve and couldn’t really see around the huge hill on the left. He gunned it, and the motorcycle growled and sped up in response. About three-quarters of the way past the van, a truck came around the curve straight at him.

Alex sped up even faster, hoping he could make it before the truck caught up to him. He was almost there, when his back tire was clipped by the oncoming truck, spinning him out of control. He somehow managed to avoid being flattened by the van behind him as he flipped end-over-end onto the right side of the road, and into the ditch with a huge crash. His head hit something with a loud crack and his world went dark.

Noise, smell, touch, even the pain suddenly stopped, and he was surrounded by cold, empty darkness. A pinpoint of light drew his focus, and like a flash of thought, he appeared closer to it, until the light expanded and he could see. He felt strange though, like he was floating. It was hard to tell, since he couldn’t feel any part of his body. He could see the ditch, and his bike looking pretty messed up. The van and truck from earlier were both nearby. Police and an ambulance were also on the scene.

He willed himself closer, and was surprised when it worked. He could finally see himself with a couple of medics working on him furiously. He looked pretty bad. His hair was matted, with the blood pouring from a nasty wound near the back of his head. Alex could tell that at least one arm and leg were bent at unnatural angles. He thought he should be really scared or upset at seeing himself like that, but instead, he felt so detached and calm. Was he dead? He didn’t really want to die.

“You want to live?” A coarse male voice said, from somewhere nearby.

He tried to look around, but couldn’t see anyone that might be talking to “him”. “Yeah, I don’t want to die. Who would?” He thought the words, since he didn’t think he had vocal cords or a mouth. But, now that he thought of it, he was starting to see that he did have a sort of “body”; it was transparent and very naked. He tried to touch himself with his ghostly hands, and it felt surprisingly solid. Still, it was strange being able to see through himself, not to mention he was floating. He turned as he saw his body put in the ambulance, and with the siren blaring, it started off. As if tethered, he was pulled after it. He didn’t feel any sense of motion, but he could see the scenery going by.

“At the rate you’re going, it looks like you will most likely die.” The voice spoke again, and he couldn’t see anyone, but he could feel eyes on him. He didn’t know where the sensation was coming from. He moved toward the ambulance, and managed to go inside and see the medics working on him.

“There’s still no heartbeat, use the pads again!” one of the medics said, and another one used those shock pads he had seen on ER shows.

“Can you help me?” He said a little worried now, about what would happen if he did die.

“I can, if you let me use your body some of the time,” the strange voice answered.

He was flatlining, and he knew he was running out of time. Alex was smart enough to know that the stranger wanted more than he was letting on, but without any other options, he didn’t really have a choice. “I agree. Help me quickly!”

“Yes!” the voice said in triumph, and with a whoosh it was like he was being swept inside his body. As the darkness started to rush in again, he could hear the beep of the heart monitor as his heart began beating again, just before he blacked out.

The returning of consciousness also brought pain. His whole body hurt, but it felt slightly dulled and somewhat distant. He could hear a beeping noise and was about to lift his heavy eyelids, when he heard a loud voice booming from not too far off.

“You better make sure this fiasco is kept out of the news. I don’t need this mess plastered all over the papers and TV. Who’s in charge here? I want to speak to the doctor in charge of my son and find out how long I have to keep him in this place. The sooner he is out of here, the sooner I can stop shelling out money to take care of him.”

“Please sir,” a much softer feminine voice spoke. “Keep your voice, down or you’ll aggravate the patients.”

“Why don’t you worry more about aggravating me.” The man retorted angrily.

Recognizing his father’s voice, Alex groaned softly and opened his eyes. The fluorescent light of the hospital was so bright, he squinted and his eyes watered. He looked around and wasn’t surprised that he was in a private room. He looked down, and saw that his right leg and arm were both in casts, and his leg was suspended in a sling. The most uncomfortable thing at the moment though, were the tubes and mask on his mouth and nose; they made him feel helpless.

His father, David Kent, finally walked in with a middle-aged man, who must be the doctor.
His dad was a tall, skinny man wearing a very expensive suit. He had an angry expression on his chiseled face, and his grey eyes were cold. His light brown hair was slicked back, and his posture was straight and proud.

It was a sharp contrast to the short stature of the older doctor next to him. The doctor had graying brown hair, and was balding. He wore glasses that hid small green eyes. The doctor was slightly overweight while his father was well toned and fit. The doctor was carrying a chart and his face looked a little confused at how Alex’s father was acting.

“Ah, So you’re awake. Thanks to your reckless driving, I am wasting precious time and money, so I hope you appreciate the fact that I made time to see you, despite my busy schedule.”

Alex rolled his eyes, and sighed when he saw the doctor’s shocked face. He wasn’t surprised at all by his dad’s attitude. The company and his dad’s image had always been more important than anything else. He was more surprised that his dad had bothered to come himself. He must only be thinking about the possibility of negative press, and worrying about his image. He didn’t seem to care if the doctors knew he was cold, but then, even Alex didn’t really understand his father.

“Ah well,” The doctor hesitantly interrupted and moved closer to Alex. “Alexander’s condition is surprisingly good. Because of the head wound and the fact that his heart stopped, there was a high chance of brain damage. We ran several tests after he was rushed to the ICU, but didn’t find any serious damage. Once we had him stabilized, we moved him here. To be safe, he will stay on the ventilator for at least another day or two, depending on his condition.”

The doctor turned to Alex. “You have about eight stitches in your head, Alex, a broken arm and leg, a lot of bruising and small cuts. You will probably have to be in the hospital for at least ten days or more.”

“Hmph, well, it’s good you didn’t die now isn’t it.” His father grunted, then turned, around to leave.

The doctor’s eyes widened in surprise, “Wait sir, Since Alexander is a first time patient here, I need you to answer some health questions and sign some…”

His father glared at the doctor and the doctor stepped back in fear. “Show me what to sign, but for any questions talk to Alex or my secretary.”

The doctor nervously handed him the clipboard that had some papers on it and Mr. Kent quickly signed them and left without another word. The doctor stared at his retreating form, even after he was just staring at a closed door. Finally, after a few moments he finally turned to Alex. He examined Alex’s eyes, having him look left and right. He checked his blood pressure, as well as the machines monitoring Alex’s vital signs.

“I need you to answer some health questions so it will be alright to remove the mask while you talk. I wouldn’t normally make the patient do this so soon, but it is important in case you might have anything that might cause complications later.”

Alex simply nodded and removed the mask with his left hand, clearing his throat so he would be ready to speak. He was able to quickly go over the parts that referenced just himself or his father but when the doctor asked about his mother…

“I’m sorry doctor, I really don’t know anything more than that she died soon after I was born. Father’s secretary might have her health data, but he never wants to talk about her to me.” Alex said simply.

The doctor’s face fell slightly, and softened in sympathy. “I am sorry about that, and I will try to contact the secretary as soon as I can.” He paused for a moment, looking like he was unsure what to say next. Then continued, changing the subject.

“It is remarkable that you seem to be recovering so well. Based on the paramedics report, you were in bad shape. When you arrived, you had internal bleeding as well as a punctured lung. The surgery went very well, and you are healing quickly.” The doctor fidgeted, and looked away, then cleared his throat. “The nurse will come by to check on you every couple hours, to inject some pain meds into your I.V.” He checked over the machines once more, before he turned and left.

The days at the hospital passed slowly. It was lonely and boring. His only entertainment was the small television in his room that he could operate with the remote on his bed. Other than his father on the first day, he had no visitors, though his class sent a “token” flower basket. It was probably sent by the teacher, though his classmates had signed the card. The nurses kept giving him pitying glances, and talking about him behind their hands. He knew it was him they were talking about, because they would keep looking at him as they talked.

Finally he was released. The family car was at the front, as they wheeled him out of the hospital. The driver lifted him into the car before they were off. When he arrived home, in addition to the housekeeper and butler, he now had a male nurse to take care of him. He couldn’t help feeling humiliated, even though he knew it was necessary until he could walk again.

They had moved his room from the second floor of the mansion, to the first floor. He hated the huge house, and had often asked to have his own, much smaller living space but his father didn’t want to cough up the money. His father also seemed to think it would look bad if Alex moved out. If he wanted a place of his own, Alex would have to make his own money. It wouldn’t be too long now though; Alex had been doing well on the stock market and would have enough to maintain a steady income within the month.

-------
Author's comment- I really want in depth feedback on this so please don't hesitate. I have this posted in other places but haven't received a lot of feedback. I figured the more places I posted it the more likely it would be to get feedback. This is very inspired by manga and anime and light novels so be warned.
Worlds without end visualised, sketched, and written. From my mind and imagination to yours.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Zeltis (a novel, please comment)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:54 pm

Heya, gaiadarkstar your name sounds familiar, we might have crossed paths once, but anyway.

I was in middle of writing this hugely in depth review of your piece, but when I clicked submit, I realized that I was not logged on. And when I backed (which usually saves the writing) it was gone. Gone I tells ye!

Anyway, it's really hard to judge other people's writing. It's either really good, or it's something else. It's all subjective really, and everyone writes differently. Hemingway wrote differently from Fitzgerald, who wrote differently from Faulkner, who wrote differently from Twain.

So I'll get straight to the point.

Two parts that stood out for me.

The first would be the part where he's having his life-after-death-out-of-body-experience (if that was how I read it right). Out-of-body experiences are hard to do, and since I'm not a manga/anime person, I'm not sure if you're doing it correctly or incorrectly. From a more realist standpoint, I think he would have said "yes" by instinct rather than being able to think with coherence as to whether or not he would take up the voice's offer.

The second part is that this...

The days at the hospital passed slowly. It was lonely and boring. His only entertainment was the small television in his room that he could operate with the remote on his bed. Other than his father on the first day, he had no visitors, though his class sent a “token” flower basket. It was probably sent by the teacher, though his classmates had signed the card. The nurses kept giving him pitying glances, and talking about him behind their hands. He knew it was him they were talking about, because they would keep looking at him as they talked.

It seemed somewhat superfluous to me, because you never returned to the idea of the "voice" that spoke to Alex. I would imagine that he would have spent days in the hospital wondering about the voice and his whole experience right after the accident where he could see himself actually dying. That kind of experience is almost always life-changing, and it leaves the subject to think about that moment over and over again. You kind of just let it go, and had Alex return to life as it was. I thought that if it was a key point, and it seems like it is, then the character thinking it over and over again would only serve to emphasize its importance.

As for grammatical and spelling errors, there was nothing extraordinary. If you have an editor, those things will be taken care of without much trouble.

So that's what I saw.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 10 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

chapter two

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks so much for your input! Actually I did that on purpose. He has totally forgotten everything about when he had his out of body experience. That is why I "glossed" over it. If you have any ideas of how to make that more obvious please tell me.
----------------------
Chapter Two

He woke early and could only sit for a while stunned. It had all been so real, and seeing her body hit the ground and lying still was etched forever in his memory. He would have dismissed it as a horrible nightmare if he hadn’t noticed he was wearing the clothes from his dream. Still, he couldn’t be positive that he hadn’t just gone to sleep like that. His mind was a mess, but he had to go to school regardless of how he felt. If his father found out he skipped, he would find ways to make Alex’s life more difficult than it already was.

He showered quickly and put on his uniform. He went to the mirror to check his appearance and straightened his vest and blazer before putting on his tie. His hair had grown long and though it was against the rules to have hair past your collar, he felt that a few demerits would be worth the price to show a small bit of rebelliousness. He just wished he had enough courage to do more. The starched collar of the white shirt made him feel like he was being strangled, and he tried to pull it with his finger to loosen it, even a little, and frowned when it didn’t move much. He ate a quick breakfast and the chauffeur drove him to school.

The school was rather large and rectangular, with an elegant, majestic feel; Alex thought it was just boxy, gloomy looking, and old. The circular drive had a fountain in the middle so it was like a parade every day with all the fancy cars going through and showing off. As he got out some people were looking at him and whispering and some girls giggled near the entrance steps as they glanced at him, but when he met their eyes they gasped and hurried off. He frowned and strode up the steps. He didn’t limp or even slow down since his leg felt fine, and he couldn’t help feeling a little glad that at least one thing was going well for him.

He soon reached the huge double doors and at the sight of Reginald Colton, Hugh Patton, and Cole Peterson gathered there, he nearly tried to turn around and go back down. He groaned slightly, as they are the ones that most often picked on him. No one ever said anything about it, since two of them were in the student council.

“Well, well, what a surprise, I’m disappointed you aren’t in worse shape.” Reginald, the student council president, stated with a sneer.

He was such a typical rich boy he could practically be the poster boy for them, with his aristocratic nose and refined features, along with his slicked back, short blond hair and blue eyes. He was a cliché snob from head to toe.

Alex tried to walk past without saying anything and Hugh blocked his path. Hugh was the captain of the school football team and had a rather burly physique, and was Reginald’s loyal goon. “Don’t run off now, Reggi was speaking to you.”

Alex sighed, “What can I do for you, gentlemen?” He said a little sarcastically.

“I think you shouldn’t use such a tone.” Cole said. He had been standing to the side with his arms crossed but now stepped out next to Reginald. He was the council secretary and was always eager for a fight.

One of the double doors in front of them opened inward and a pretty girl stepped out. She took in the scene quickly and sighed. She gave a stern glance to Reginald and gang and then turned toward Alexander Kent with a small smile. “I’m glad you look well Mr. Kent.”

It was Veronica Ericson, the council treasurer. She had a pleasant voice and was nice to everyone. She was fairly tall, just slightly shorter than Alex and had a nice, long limbed figure. She had long straight black hair and large green eyes. She turned to Reginald. “We are supposed to have a student council meeting, what are all of you doing lounging around out here?”

“Ah yes, of course. Later Kent.” Reginald said as he turned to go in as Veronica held the door open.
The others followed, giving Alex a glare before they all went inside.

Alex waited a moment to let them get far ahead of him before he too went inside. He made his way through the crowded hallways to his locker and got his books out of his bag and stowed the books he didn’t need inside the locker before making his way to his first class. He had been lucky and got a seat at the back of the class when they had assigned them. He liked to sit quietly, undisturbed as he either read a book or checked his phone. He was able to check stocks on it, so it was a great tool to keep up to date even during school; though he couldn’t have it out during class, he was always early to each class so he would have time to himself.

Today though, he couldn’t help remembering last night, but seeing Veronica had lightened his mood slightly. He couldn’t help liking her, though not romantically. She was elegant and graceful, as well as kind. Her failing though was, she was a little naïve and didn’t really see the bad in people; so she had no idea that Alex was being bullied. Still, either way, he didn’t see himself getting too close to her. Even if he had the confidence, he didn’t really understand the idea of love. He had never felt love and no one had shown him love.

After a few minutes some of the other students came in and mostly ignored Alex as they chatted in groups or played/talked on their phones. Finally the teacher, Mr. Grayson came in. Everyone slowly moved to their seats and Alex put away his phone after making sure it was on silent, though it was unlikely for him to get a call or text.

The lesson went by slowly but without any surprises. His next class passed by just as uneventfully as the last until it was time for lunch. For someone without friends, lunchtime could be unpleasant. Still, he usually managed to find an out of the way corner to eat his lunch, but as he was carrying his tray he was ambushed by Marcus Halloby.

“Excuse me, Mr. Kent but I spotted you and felt I must correct your misconduct in allowing your hair to get so long.” He said as he looked up at Alex, talking in a monotone voice while pushing his glasses up in a brisk businesslike motion.

“I see, well, I’ll take it under advisement Mr. Vice President,” Alex copied Marcus’ formal air as a way of being sarcastic, but either Marcus didn’t realize the slight, or just ignored it.

“I would appreciate it,” Marcus finished and turned away crisply before striding off with a stiff, almost military way of walking.

Alex shook his head slightly with a sigh. Sometimes he wondered if Marcus had an invisible stick up his butt with the way he walked and acted but at least he wasn’t bothering Alex to be mean, he just liked to make sure people followed the rules; so that meant he would go up to anyone who wasn’t doing so to try and correct him. Alex didn’t hate him, but he certainly didn’t like the guy, he was just too stiff and cold.

Alex continued on his way, being careful to try and avoid any other unwanted encounters. He found a quiet corner to eat in and luckily no one else bothered him, and he was able to eat in peace while enjoying the slight breeze in the courtyard.

He was relieved when he was able to finish the day with no further troubles. He didn’t have any after school clubs, even before the accident, he didn’t want to bother. Since the accident though, he had started to wonder, and felt he should try to find people he could connect with. It wasn’t just loneliness, but feeling like he wanted someone on his side.

He had no idea what kind of club he would join though, and thought about it on the way home and as he ate dinner alone. He had never really tried, or been very interested in sports, especially team sports. He had always gone to private schools and they either had super elite teams that weren’t good for beginners, or teams that were too laid back and hardly practiced. He wasn’t really bad at sports, he was actually pretty fit and fast since he worked out in the gym at home often and liked to run, but the problem was getting along with others. He just wasn’t all that good at relating to people at all.

So perhaps something that wasn’t a team sport would be good. He had taken martial arts for a while as a child, for protection. His father had reasoned that it was cheaper than hiring a bodyguard. So he wondered if a club related to that might be good. It had been a while though, since he had practiced seriously, but he had made sure to at least practice the forms and such by himself even after he had left the class.

He had enjoyed his time at the dojo. The people there had been easy to be around and the interactions were simple and straightforward. It had been the closest he had ever felt to being happy and the only time he had gotten along decently with people. It would probably be different in the school club but he still thought he might want to try.

Then he remembered Cole, from the student council. Cole also did martial arts and would definitely make things difficult if he joined. Cole and Hugh seemed to enjoy taking turns beating Alex up, often when Reginald was watching, egging them on. He didn’t know why exactly they seemed to enjoy picking on him so much but joining the club one of them was in would probably make it easier to get caught. Alex would have to keep thinking about it.

On the way home Alex was watching the buildings go by when he glimpsed the bar he had gone to in his first strange dream and it brought back all the horrible memories. He turned away and saw something that caught his eye on the other side of the street.

“Wait, stop the car.”

“I can’t stop in the middle of the road young master since there are cars behind me. I could turn around if there was somewhere you wanted to go?” The driver glanced back as he spoke to Alex.

“Yes, please I want to visit that dojo I saw so please turn around as soon as you can and find a place to park.”

The driver was able to make a u-turn at the next intersection but there were no available parking spots in front of where Alex wanted to go.

“You could get out here and I will find a place to park?” The driver suggested.

“Yes please.” Alex said and as soon as the car stopped, he hopped out and shut the door.

Alex walked up to the rather small dojo. It was called “Mixed Fit” and was a little scuffed but looked clean and well kept. He had seen Cole’s family dojo once called “MMA Stars” and it had been huge and fancy looking with four floors. He hadn’t gone in but knew that it had all the amenities like a fully staffed gym and indoor swimming pool as well as champion class trainers.

Still, he liked the quaint appearance of this little dojo and with a small smile, he pushed open the glass door. Immediately he could hear the yells of the group currently training with punches and kicks, to the left on the main training area. To the right was another area where a few people were sparring. Ahead was a desk with a hallway to one side that looked like it went on to the gym equipment and probably locker area. He started to walk in but saw the shoe rack and remembered that most gyms don’t want you wearing shoes inside. So he sat down on the bench by the door and pulled off his shoes.

He walked up to the desk and a man who had been helping students in the main area saw Alex and came over. He was a tall pleasant looking man with short black hair and a mustache. Even though the Gi covered him, Alex could tell that this man was well muscled and toned, proved by the three gold star black belt he was wearing.

“Welcome to “Mixed Fit”. I am the owner, Mike Grant. Are you interested in joining?” He asked with a friendly smile as he looked at Alex curiously.

It had been impulse that made him want to pull over but this place just felt right to him. He knew that even a small place like this would probably cost a bit and most likely make him have to put off getting his own place but he felt that finding a place to belong was worth it.

“Yes, I want to join.”
Last edited by gaiadarkstar on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Zeltis (a novel, please comment)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Ah, well then returning to that first piece, I think it helps if he actually displays some level of short-term memory loss. If he forgot about the accident as a whole, it would help. Or if he simply forgot the out of body experience, you have to make it in such a way as to hint to the fact that it actually happened, despite him forgetting. Maybe the doctors could mention that he had flat-lined and was "technically dead" at one point. Or maybe he "sees" things differently. I don't really know where you are headed with this so that's as much as I can give.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 10 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

chapter three

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:29 pm

That's a good idea. I will try and work in something more with the doctor or something when I can.
I'd love your thoughts on chapter two and three when you can. I hope that others will also leave feedback.
----------------------------------------------------

Chapter Three

He woke early and could only sit for a while stunned. It had all been so real, and seeing her body hit the ground and lying still was etched forever in his memory. He would have dismissed it as a horrible nightmare if he hadn’t noticed he was wearing the clothes from his dream. Still, he couldn’t be positive that he hadn’t just gone to sleep like that. His mind was a mess, but he had to go to school regardless of how he felt. If his father found out he skipped, he would find ways to make Alex’s life more difficult than it already was.

He showered quickly and put on his uniform. He went to the mirror to check his appearance and straightened his vest and blazer before putting on his tie. His hair had grown long and though it was against the rules to have hair past your collar, he felt that a few demerits would be worth the price to show a small bit of rebelliousness. He just wished he had enough courage to do more. The starched collar of the white shirt made him feel like he was being strangled, and he tried to pull it with his finger to loosen it, even a little, and frowned when it didn’t move much. He ate a quick breakfast and the chauffeur drove him to school.

The school was rather large and rectangular, with an elegant, majestic feel; Alex thought it was just boxy, gloomy looking, and old. The circular drive had a fountain in the middle so it was like a parade every day with all the fancy cars going through and showing off. As he got out some people were looking at him and whispering and some girls giggled near the entrance steps as they glanced at him, but when he met their eyes they gasped and hurried off. He frowned and strode up the steps. He didn’t limp or even slow down since his leg felt fine, and he couldn’t help feeling a little glad that at least one thing was going well for him.

He soon reached the huge double doors and at the sight of Reginald Colton, Hugh Patton, and Cole Peterson gathered there, he nearly tried to turn around and go back down. He groaned slightly, as they are the ones that most often picked on him. No one ever said anything about it, since two of them were in the student council.

“Well, well, what a surprise, I’m disappointed you aren’t in worse shape.” Reginald, the student council president, stated with a sneer.

He was such a typical rich boy he could practically be the poster boy for them, with his aristocratic nose and refined features, along with his slicked back, short blond hair and blue eyes. He was a cliché snob from head to toe.

Alex tried to walk past without saying anything and Hugh blocked his path. Hugh was the captain of the school football team and had a rather burly physique, and was Reginald’s loyal goon. “Don’t run off now, Reggi was speaking to you.”

Alex sighed, “What can I do for you, gentlemen?” He said a little sarcastically.

“I think you shouldn’t use such a tone.” Cole said. He had been standing to the side with his arms crossed but now stepped out next to Reginald. He was the council secretary and was always eager for a fight.

One of the double doors in front of them opened inward and a pretty girl stepped out. She took in the scene quickly and sighed. She gave a stern glance to Reginald and gang and then turned toward Alexander Kent with a small smile. “I’m glad you look well Mr. Kent.”

It was Veronica Ericson, the council treasurer. She had a pleasant voice and was nice to everyone. She was fairly tall, just slightly shorter than Alex and had a nice, long limbed figure. She had long straight black hair and large green eyes. She turned to Reginald. “We are supposed to have a student council meeting, what are all of you doing lounging around out here?”

“Ah yes, of course. Later Kent.” Reginald said as he turned to go in as Veronica held the door open.
The others followed, giving Alex a glare before they all went inside.

Alex waited a moment to let them get far ahead of him before he too went inside. He made his way through the crowded hallways to his locker and got his books out of his bag and stowed the books he didn’t need inside the locker before making his way to his first class. He had been lucky and got a seat at the back of the class when they had assigned them. He liked to sit quietly, undisturbed as he either read a book or checked his phone. He was able to check stocks on it, so it was a great tool to keep up to date even during school; though he couldn’t have it out during class, he was always early to each class so he would have time to himself.

Today though, he couldn’t help remembering last night, but seeing Veronica had lightened his mood slightly. He couldn’t help liking her, though not romantically. She was elegant and graceful, as well as kind. Her failing though was, she was a little naïve and didn’t really see the bad in people; so she had no idea that Alex was being bullied. Still, either way, he didn’t see himself getting too close to her. Even if he had the confidence, he didn’t really understand the idea of love. He had never felt love and no one had shown him love.

After a few minutes some of the other students came in and mostly ignored Alex as they chatted in groups or played/talked on their phones. Finally the teacher, Mr. Grayson came in. Everyone slowly moved to their seats and Alex put away his phone after making sure it was on silent, though it was unlikely for him to get a call or text.

The lesson went by slowly but without any surprises. His next class passed by just as uneventfully as the last until it was time for lunch. For someone without friends, lunchtime could be unpleasant. Still, he usually managed to find an out of the way corner to eat his lunch, but as he was carrying his tray he was ambushed by Marcus Halloby.

“Excuse me, Mr. Kent but I spotted you and felt I must correct your misconduct in allowing your hair to get so long.” He said as he looked up at Alex, talking in a monotone voice while pushing his glasses up in a brisk businesslike motion.

“I see, well, I’ll take it under advisement Mr. Vice President,” Alex copied Marcus’ formal air as a way of being sarcastic, but either Marcus didn’t realize the slight, or just ignored it.

“I would appreciate it,” Marcus finished and turned away crisply before striding off with a stiff, almost military way of walking.

Alex shook his head slightly with a sigh. Sometimes he wondered if Marcus had an invisible stick up his butt with the way he walked and acted but at least he wasn’t bothering Alex to be mean, he just liked to make sure people followed the rules; so that meant he would go up to anyone who wasn’t doing so to try and correct him. Alex didn’t hate him, but he certainly didn’t like the guy, he was just too stiff and cold.

Alex continued on his way, being careful to try and avoid any other unwanted encounters. He found a quiet corner to eat in and luckily no one else bothered him, and he was able to eat in peace while enjoying the slight breeze in the courtyard.

He was relieved when he was able to finish the day with no further troubles. He didn’t have any after school clubs, even before the accident, he didn’t want to bother. Since the accident though, he had started to wonder, and felt he should try to find people he could connect with. It wasn’t just loneliness, but feeling like he wanted someone on his side.

He had no idea what kind of club he would join though, and thought about it on the way home and as he ate dinner alone. He had never really tried, or been very interested in sports, especially team sports. He had always gone to private schools and they either had super elite teams that weren’t good for beginners, or teams that were too laid back and hardly practiced. He wasn’t really bad at sports, he was actually pretty fit and fast since he worked out in the gym at home often and liked to run, but the problem was getting along with others. He just wasn’t all that good at relating to people at all.

So perhaps something that wasn’t a team sport would be good. He had taken martial arts for a while as a child, for protection. His father had reasoned that it was cheaper than hiring a bodyguard. So he wondered if a club related to that might be good. It had been a while though, since he had practiced seriously, but he had made sure to at least practice the forms and such by himself even after he had left the class.

He had enjoyed his time at the dojo. The people there had been easy to be around and the interactions were simple and straightforward. It had been the closest he had ever felt to being happy and the only time he had gotten along decently with people. It would probably be different in the school club but he still thought he might want to try.

Then he remembered Cole, from the student council. Cole also did martial arts and would definitely make things difficult if he joined. Cole and Hugh seemed to enjoy taking turns beating Alex up, often when Reginald was watching, egging them on. He didn’t know why exactly they seemed to enjoy picking on him so much but joining the club one of them was in would probably make it easier to get caught. Alex would have to keep thinking about it.

On the way home Alex was watching the buildings go by when he glimpsed the bar he had gone to in his first strange dream and it brought back all the horrible memories. He turned away and saw something that caught his eye on the other side of the street.

“Wait, stop the car.”

“I can’t stop in the middle of the road young master since there are cars behind me. I could turn around if there was somewhere you wanted to go?” The driver glanced back as he spoke to Alex.

“Yes, please I want to visit that dojo I saw so please turn around as soon as you can and find a place to park.”

The driver was able to make a u-turn at the next intersection but there were no available parking spots in front of where Alex wanted to go.

“You could get out here and I will find a place to park?” The driver suggested.

“Yes please.” Alex said and as soon as the car stopped, he hopped out and shut the door.

Alex walked up to the rather small dojo. It was called “Mixed Fit” and was a little scuffed but looked clean and well kept. He had seen Cole’s family dojo once called “MMA Stars” and it had been huge and fancy looking with four floors. He hadn’t gone in but knew that it had all the amenities like a fully staffed gym and indoor swimming pool as well as champion class trainers.

Still, he liked the quaint appearance of this little dojo and with a small smile, he pushed open the glass door. Immediately he could hear the yells of the group currently training with punches and kicks, to the left on the main training area. To the right was another area where a few people were sparring. Ahead was a desk with a hallway to one side that looked like it went on to the gym equipment and probably locker area. He started to walk in but saw the shoe rack and remembered that most gyms don’t want you wearing shoes inside. So he sat down on the bench by the door and pulled off his shoes.

He walked up to the desk and a man who had been helping students in the main area saw Alex and came over. He was a tall pleasant looking man with short black hair and a mustache. Even though the Gi covered him, Alex could tell that this man was well muscled and toned, proved by the three gold star black belt he was wearing.

“Welcome to “Mixed Fit”. I am the owner, Mike Grant. Are you interested in joining?” He asked with a friendly smile as he looked at Alex curiously.

It had been impulse that made him want to pull over but this place just felt right to him. He knew that even a small place like this would probably cost a bit and most likely make him have to put off getting his own place but he felt that finding a place to belong was worth it.

“Yes, I want to join.”

gaiadarkstar
Member for 11 years

chapter four

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:47 am

When he finally got home he was still on somewhat of a high after joining the dojo. He wasn’t sure how often he would be able to go, but he was excited to get started with martial arts again.

Finding the dojo had cleared up the bad memories from that strange dream. Still, he couldn’t help worrying that he might have another nightmare as he got in bed. He concentrated on his happiness at starting at the dojo and was soon asleep, but as before it wasn’t long before he opened his eyes. He got up, dressed, and left the house. Not long after leaving the house he started to notice a difference compared to last time. This time he could hear a little, though the sound was muted as if he were wearing ear plugs. Still, compared to the silence of last time it was a big improvement.

Despite there being a lot of people on the sidewalks, he seemed to be able to avoid them with small fast movements. He couldn’t help wishing he could be that smooth when he was awake. Especially at school where bumping into the wrong person could mean getting beaten up. Even though he took martial arts, he wasn’t the best at it. It also didn’t matter much if you were overwhelmed by numbers, or if the opponent was better than you.

The muffled sounds of cars going by and people yelling drew his attention. But he couldn’t make his head turn where he wanted to look. Just like last time he was just an observer in his own body. His body walked with such a confident determined walk, with no deviation or distraction. That made Alex sure his “body” had a destination, but felt it wasn’t a specific place. Something else was going on that he wasn’t sure of yet.

He veered off the main road and ended up in front of a pool bar. Inside he could see there were eight pool tables lined up two by two with an aisle down the center. There was a bar/reception area along the right wall. The lighting was harsh and bluish with a few of the long bulbs flickering slightly. He could see a small back door that must exit out onto an alley. Many of the tables were occupied but a lot were still open. In the groups playing, there were few women. The ones he saw were mannish, though there were at least two that were somewhat decent looking. He couldn’t help feeling a little disappointed that there wasn’t anyone sexy.

Some people glanced at him, but were too into their games to bother with him. He strode further in, towards a table near the back that had two guys playing. Both men looked buff and unfriendly. In real life Alex would have given them a wide berth. Not walking right up to them, as if in challenge.

One was six foot two with a lean muscular frame, wearing loose jeans and a fitted t-shirt with an abstract design on it. He had short brown hair and a small goatee on his slightly square, but roughly handsome face.

The other guy was huge, about seven feet. He had broad shoulders and bulging muscles. He wore a sleeveless shirt and tan cargo pants. His face was also square and rather large with a feral feel to it. He had long, dark-blonde, shaggy hair, with mutton chops. His brows were harsh, making him seem like portrayals of Cro-Magnons. H e wasn’t too ugly, just animalistic and dangerous looking.
He looked straight at Alex and grinned then nodded as if Alex had said something. Alex walked calmly out the back door.

“I’m out, got some business” Alex could barely hear as the man growled to the other man before he came out and shut the door behind him.

The big guy moved so they were facing each other, like in a western duel. The larger man cracked his fingers and neck and growled. His muscles rippled and bulged. They grew bigger to the point where his shirt stretched a little, but since it was sleeveless it gave him a lot of room. Even more strange was when he started to sprout hair all over, his incisors lengthened, and eyes turned red.

Alex just stood there as if waiting, and inside the regular Alex was freaking out. First a vampire and now a freaking werewolf! What was next? He didn’t know, but he couldn’t help worrying about how this fight was going to go. If it went badly would he never wake up? If this was just a dream why was he having such strange dreams?

The werewolf's charge interrupted Alex's panicking, swiping at him with his clawed hand. His body managed to dodge to the side, but the force of the blow still pushed him back. The werewolf’s face looked surprised, but his grin got wider. The crazy dude must love to fight. Alex couldn’t understand at all. All he could do was watch as the werewolf charged again, but while he looked like he would punch, it turned into a kick.

It was a downward kick where he jumped and kicked towards Alex’s stomach with both legs. Alex barely managed to jump backwards. He couldn’t help but notice the deep gouge in the concrete ground from when the werewolf landed. Even muffled it was a significant thud and before Alex could even think, the werewolf was lunging at him right and left. Alex’s body deflected the first hit. But when blocking the second, the werewolf grabbed onto Alex’s arm. He flung Alex’s body up against the wall and Alex grunted. He felt the impact all the way down to his bones. His body pushed against the wall, then kicked it, moving toward the werewolf’s midsection in a tackle.

This move suprised the werewolf, and they were both knocked back. He got his footing back and grabbed Alex around the neck in a choke hold. Alex’s hands reached up to the werewolf’s head and like before, they started to glow. His back was to the werewolf so he couldn’t see the guy’s expression but he could see that strange mist flowing towards him. The suffocating pressure on his throat slowly released until the arms fell away. The mist was soon gone and Alex’s body let go and turned just as the huge body fell with a rather loud thud.

Looking closely Alex noticed that the man now looked human again. Though he looked pale and weak now. Alex couldn’t tell if the man was still breathing or not. Not giving Alex time to find out, his body walked off through the alley and back in the direction of home.

Just before falling back in bed he heard a voice, “It won’t be long now, before you remember the deal you made,” and laughed. His vision darkened as he drifted off into more normal dreams.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!