Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Zombies! - Do you have your plan yet?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Zombies! - Do you have your plan yet?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Daimayo on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Alright guys, let's paint the picture:

You wake up in your bed, and you're surprised - Your alarm didn't go off! Realizing that the power is out, you walk through your apartment/house/cardboard box, and strangely your roomates, friends, or family aren't around. That's when you look outside!

Zombies! Z-Day, the T-Virus, WWZ, Whatever you wanna call it, it's happened, and you're stuck in the middle of it.

My question is: Do you have a plan? A surprising number of people that I've talked to actually do, and sometimes that plan is so in-depth you can tell that they want it to happen.

So what's yours?

(Also, for the sake of argument, we're talking crawlers here - The slow-moving, eat-your-brains-and-drool Romero variety!)
(Also also, even if you're not the only survivor, assume that you're vastly outnumbered. Like %99.95 percent zombie-town. ;) )

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Daimayo
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Zombies! - Do you have your plan yet?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Firstly I'd arm myself and look for other survivors with an extremely cautious approach to all things.

Secondly, I'd take what survivors I had gathered, get some supplies (preferably vehicle-loads) and move to a cold, mountainous terrain where fortification is quite easy and any virus/zombie outbreak will freeze before it becomes even a nuisance. After a few months, when the starvation and/or decomposition has kicked in, I would consider doing something risky such as starting a farm. Better that than live on tinned food, right?

Z-Day is a bummer, ain't it?

Oh, and all of that was off the top of my head. I could make extremely detailed, long-term and short-term plans based on boring statistical figures and cheesy Sci-Fi rules, but that will have to do. =D

I mean... Realistically the Military would probably take care of the problem, and since I'm in Britain the virus would be trapped unless it evolves.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nevan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby one-wing on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:25 pm

I think I would die. =D
Why is it called a broken heart if every part of you is hurting?

one-wing
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Daimayo on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:38 pm

That's not a very good plan, One-Wing! XD

Personally, I'd get some friends and hole up in a big department store like Home Hardware or Home Depot. :D My town isn't exactly huge, so there wouldn't be too many baddies to worry about, plus Department stores tend to have plenty of things with which one could cause some anti-zombie aggression.

Of course, eventually I'd be sure to log back onto RPG (Don't act like you wouldn't!) and find you guys. :D That's how awesome of a staffer I am! I look out for my buds. >:D

... and yes, the internet/site would still be up. Remaeus would make sure of it! ...Probably.

Daimayo
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:52 pm

See, I find it best to have a general idea, not a plan. If I plan, things will go wrong and I will die. Buuuut if I bullshit my way through it all, I'll be good.

So basically in the next few years I plan on stocking up on water, Twinkies, canned food, sleeping blankets, lanterns, and some guns. I'll hide it in my closet then when the day comes... All I have to do is go home and lock the windows/doors and turn all the lights off ^_^ I'll wait out the end of the zombies and all will be well.

I'm not even kidding. I'd rather waste all that money and have nothing happen then die via zombie!

Also -- After the zombies were gone I'd probably hop on RPG, look you all up, and slowly find all the Gatewayers who lived. Not because I'm a good staffer, but because there is strength in numbers. ^_^
The name seems rather ironic if I’m an insomniac, doesn’t it? :3

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:07 am

I don't, but my brother does. He trains with a metal pipe as a quarterstaff and everything (because ammo is expendable and we don't have guns). We plan to hole up in the Costco near us because it's huge, can hold a lot of people, and can sustain those people for at least a couple of days with all the different foodstuffs available there.

Eventually, we plan to make alliances of sorts with sporting goods stores for the weapons and ammunition we'll need to stay extra-safe, and hope we can get a civilization going if things go south from there. Only after the crisis has passed and I have returned home would I come back here, if only because I don't have a laptop.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:13 am

I have a plan, the basic outline would be, as such.

Steel baseball bat.
Steel something else.
A duffel bag.
Matches.
Clothing.

Considering where I live, and the terrian, all I'd have to do is wait till winter and survive till then. I know a few good places to hang out- places that have raftors. I figure I could got into a place, be like a rat and pack as much food up into the said raftors, and then hide up there. These are the kinda raftors you'd have to get a fuckin thingy to get up into them. I'd not be stupid and make sure that I'd push the later down, and since they're dumbass zombie's, they'd be dead.

I'd also get my friend, John. He haz guns. And he's scary. And hot.

;3 Then I'd find Nevan. >.> ;

<.<; His paranoia amuses me. Besides, I'd need another not-idiot to talk to.
Join in on my Mentoring Rp!
It's a chance to everyone to improve their skills.
Targeted at Newbies, but for everyone!
roleplay/mentoring-classification-zombies#introduction

I see you...

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:16 pm

Saken wrote:Steel baseball bat.

Methinks someone doesn't really understand baseball.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Daimayo on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:41 pm

Alternatively, someone really understands Zombie apocalypses. >:D

Z-day rule 1: You do not talk about Z-day.
Z-day rule 2: Headshots, headshots, headshots.
Z-day rule 3: If you get the chance to use a steel baseball bat as a weapon, you take that chance.

Daimayo
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rynology on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:43 pm

I have several plans for the Zombpocalypse. Plans A through F involve staying in the state I live in. F through K are for travel. I reveal nothing. XD

But stockpile. Take classes, buy useful textbooks on medicine, wilderness, survival etc. It's not a bad idea to read the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z and other such 'fiction' works.

And definitely don't depend on guns and ammo.

Rynology
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm not sure. I'd be royally fucked in my house, as there is nothing bar kitchen knives to use as a weapon. I'd probably head over to salisbury plain and beg for military protection. If they were gone, I'd grab a jeep with a .50 cal on the top, fill that jeep with supplies and ammo, and head for Dover.
Hopefully, I'd meet some survivors, and by the time we reach Dover, There would be enough of us to pilot a cruise liner.
The plan would be to load the cruise liner with food and water and fuel, and sail into the atlantic and ride the infection out.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rynology on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:07 pm

Oh and by the way, Australia's going to be the New Colony, so head for the Atlantic. Once the continent's cleared of the virus, it's the best place to repopulate and set up civilization again.

Rynology
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vyral on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Myself and my friends have discussed the inevitability of executing a plan to survive the coming apocalypse at length. I'm going to do this as though we all were survivors (there are four of us who made the plan), but alone I'd do much the same. This is what seems to be the gist of our thinking:

Now, we all live within ten-twenty minutes (driving) of each other on the outskirts of London. Three of us can drive, while there is one who cannot. Our first goal would be to meet up in one location (most likely my friend Tim's, as he is the most central to us all). I'd collect canned goods and bottled water and put it inside a sports bag, with a change of clothes and anything else I might need. For my weapon, I'd probably take my sword and a cricket bat (neither are brilliant, but anything is better than nothing. I'd then take off on my bike (I'm going to assume all of the roads would be jammed, and a bike is by far the fastest and most mobile vehicle in that situation) for my friends house. I'd take around fifteen minutes.

Meanwhile! Two of my friends have an array of knives, swords (and one has a working Winchester rifle, albeit ammo-less) and the other can... find something. If possible they'd drive - fortunately, the guy without a car is only a few minutes away from our meting location, and thus should arrive safely if he travels light.

Assuming we've all reached our destination safely at this point, we'd hole up inside my friends home while we prepare for our next goal. This means securely barricading all doors, windows and vents on the ground/first floor, blocking the lights and so on. We'd probably start rations from then on, just to be on the safe side. Once we'd collated all our gear, and found whatever we needed we'd then make our move - this likely being after a week or so of waiting for the major crisis to die down. We'd also run low on food at this point, so it would be a good idea too move on before it becomes too pressing an issue.

Our goal would be to head North-East towards the coastline (definitely not Dover though, it would be far too rammed with people fleeing from France and those leaving England) and fine a ship which we can sit off-shore on, thus safe from shambling zombies but close enough to land whenever supplies are required. Unfortunately, this isn't an easy task. But, using vehicles at our disposal and the fact we are all Zombie geeks I think we'd know what to do in the situations.

That is the plan, anyway. We have a rough route marked, and we've discussed what we'd do it certain scenarios too. That all comes down to chance though.

Vyral
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Broski1984 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:51 am

I have this far too thought out.

Fortunately for me, I live about 35 minutes from any "real" cities (bigger than 10,000ish people); unfortunately, those "big" cities are Philadelphia, New York, Pittsburg, etc. Fuck yeah, PA. My home is comfortably set up in the "mountains", and is right next to (literally right next to) a shooting range, providing me with a possible source of guns and ammunition.

My plan as of right now is to get the horses (we own four horses, but they aren't on our property; they're about 10 minutes away by car) to the house via any means possible, as early as possible; meaning, the first sign of infection. That way, if we need to take off quickly, there is at least a road-free method of transportation.

If we have the time (1-2 days where the roads will be clear still), I'd alert my one friend who is about 17 hours away from me, and try and get him here. If that isn't possible, our (my very able mother and myself) best bet would be to steal a truck and trailer and get as far away as possible with the horses, without riding them, heading towards Indiana (where we know the area more, and have more able-bodied friends).

Mean while, I'd try and get my other friend to Indiana if possible.

If we got stranded in traffic, we could take the horses the rest the way.

Our meeting place is some land we own in Indiana, which is way out in the middle of no where.

It's a shit plan, and it's the "if everything goes as planned and it looks alright to travel still" plan. Other wise, the plan is to hide out in the house as long as possible, and take off at the first sign of deep shit, like imminent nuclear fallout or hordes of the undead.

The plan's getting ready to change, as we're moving within the next three months (probably back to Indiana), and buying a truck and trailer.

~~~

The chances of a zombie apocalypse happening are slim (very slim), but the chances of some sort of disaster are not. Preparing just for zombies is stupid; if you're serious about survival (it may not even be a global or even national disaster; it could be an isolated terrorist act, a natural disaster, or even a house fire), you should prepare a bug out bag (72+ hours of survival gear) and form a loose plan.

A strict plan isn't going to work out, as a thousand things could change. All you can do is think out as many possibilities as you can, and try to be ready for most of them.

~~~

A word to those who plan on using a sword; unless you have training in sword fighting, and a real sword (not a display piece), you probably will want to leave it at home. It's not as easy as the movies make it look, and they're honestly awkward blades for fighting the undead (seriously think about it) and even more awkward for hand to hand combat with other sentient beings. This isn't to say they're 100% useless, but do think about it.

In general, you want to avoid, not fight.

~~~

Costco and other retail stores are also not probably good ideas. Note how most the people in this thread mentioned going to one; that's what 70% of people are going to do, leading to crowding, fighting and so on. Not to mention, if there was any warning of a disaster, the stores would probably already be pretty empty (and possibly looted).

Remember Hurricane Rita? That shit's a good example on how people act when they think they're all about to die. A year after Katrina, Houston, Texas almost got hit by a bigger hurricane, called Rita. There was a mass panic, and the stores were literally emptied and you couldn't get anywhere on the streets. Be careful, folks.

Your best bet, unless you're in a large city and in the center of it (or, really need to relocate due to family or your own special needs), is to stay home for 24-72 hours and let the panic subside outside.

~~~

There are worse things than zombies, and do not trust survivors you meet out and about. This isn't to say avoid them or shoot them in the face, just don't go around trusting everyone you meet.
Pesterchum handle: brotherKiko
Steam ID: MrBroski / [Mr.B] Rod Serling / [Mr.b] Mr. Bubbles / [Mr.B] Hearts Boxcars

It is almost guaranteed it is one of those okay.

Broski1984
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jacob Winchester on Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:54 pm

First off thanks go to Daimayo for the link here.

Now as to my plan or what I would do if I was to wake tomorrow and find that zombies have over ran the world. I would first ensure that the most easily access able openings to my home are locked that begin the front and back door. From there I would find a usable or suitable weapon. As it stands I done have a couple of machetes. Along with those I have claw hammers, a sledge hammer, and some shovels not counting want ever I can pull from the kitchen.

Now once I have a weapon I would then go through every room in my home and make sure it is safe before moving on to trying to ready myself to leave the home. Some of the steps I would take to ready myself would be to cut my hair as I have long hair it would just make it that much easier for a zombie to grab hold of and pull me to my death. Next comes my clothes I would not wear anything that is loose or has any loose parts so tight clothing it is even if it is not comfortable to wear it could save my life. As for foot wear I have a good pair of steel toe work boots so my feet and ankles odd to be safe from bites only real downside to boots that go up high is the possibly of begin grabbed and not being able to kick free or get the boots off before the zombie and take a bite out of my leg.

Now comes the fun part do I leave the home and try to escape or do I try and wait for help. The truth is if the undead is outside your door your best bet would be just to hold up and hope they follow everyone that is trying to escape. However this does have its own draw backs as the horde could smell you out and then your trapped. Myself I would most likely try and hold out in my home for a while and give those that are fleeing time to do so as most of the horde will follow them once most of the undead of gone and its safer outside I would start working my way out of town.

So that is some of my plan this is not a set plan just a spare of the moment kind of plan. So yeah things can change on a dime so always have a plan and six more to go with it because you can never really plan for everything.

Jacob Winchester
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DemiKara on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 pm

This is why I have the plans to make a flamethrower and the supplies ready. Careful burst would get me to the gas station less than a quarter mile away where I could defend myself and easily and get enough fuel via the pumps that I could provide th down with enough flamethrowers and and fuel to drive groups of zombies to the sea, where they would be fed on by the sharks.

Yum, yum sharks have some food.

After steadily repeating this all around the island, I would use explosives to remove the bridge. We have lots of boat owners here, so it wouldn't be the end of communication with civilization.

Besides, you all know flame throwers are the best for dealing with zombies. Flamethrowers and baseball bats.
Patcharoo says: She's the squishiest in the game...

DemiKara
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Donated! Contributor Historian Completionist Maiden Voyager Lifegiver Person of Interest Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 am

I came up with a plan I quite liked before, and a backup.

Assuming I was in my college accomodation during said apocalypse, I would gather upany allies I could find, rush down to the por,t and hijack one of the cruise ships docked there. As they're generaly not there as part of any actual cruises, they shouldn't be infested with zombies, though should have a good amount of supplies on board. Once sure the ship is secure, take it and sail a few miles offshore, then just wait it out for the zombies to freeze up in the winter or similar.

...I'm assuming the zombies can't swim.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me Vit.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Beta Tester Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby evilDM on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Live on an island with a high deer population, low people population and excellent fishing? Check.

Collect old tools and weapons from many time periods and places? Check.

Have enough rounds for the .45 to take out all neighbors within 5 miles? Possibly.

Know where there is a store that sells home sized wind turbines and solar panels? Check.

Have a friend who is similarly prepared for when the penguins invade us (don't ask, but watch out for them!)? Check

Bring on the zombies, we're ready.
And innocent though we were with dread,
we passed those eyes of buckshot lead.
Till one cried, "Hangman, who is he,
for whom you raised the gallows-tree?"

evilDM
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Masquerade on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Well me and three friends planned to go to our local hunting store, stock up on canned goods, some gear, and weapons. Then we'd randomly find and steal a Hummer, drive to the beach, kill some zombies for fun, and stand in a square where we would proceed to shoot and kill each other once we get bored. Yeah...it sounded like a good idea when we were twelve but I guess it needs some work huh? =/
|Little Mona Lisa Told a Lie|

Masquerade
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hirohito on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:01 am

I'll pee on myself, get some guns...pee some more...maybe poop a little...

hirohito
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!