Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Another New Face

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

Another New Face

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Archaeological on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Heyo, everyone. ^^ I just stumbled onto this site, so I guess I'll fill out the typical newbie form...

1) What's your username? Why'd you pick that username?
I'm Archaeological because Archaeology is my passion and my major. ^^

2) How'd you find this place? Google? Why'd you look it up on Google or whatever?
I clicked the button on Barbermonger.

3) How long have you roleplayed on forums or chat? On what sites? Did you start with tabletop games or such?
I've roleplayed for six years or so. I got my start on Neopets and moved from there to email 1x1s for a few years. I tried out ChickenSmoothie for a while but it didn't really work for me. Here, RPNation, and VisionaryTales are my new experiments after an absolutely toxic environment and hateful staff drove me away from my last forum-based home. I've never had an opportunity to tabletop, though I've wanted to.

4) In coming to RPG, what've you been looking for specifically? A new home for roleplay? Better roleplay?
A new home where sex-based and religious slurs aren't considered appropriate methods for staff to "teach a lesson" to members. XD I'm also hoping this place will have a useful system where there will be real, useful tools to help organize my information.

5) What kinds of roleplay are you interested in? Fantasy? Sci-fi? Go in-depth about it if you want.
Fantasy, generally speaking. More specifically I like Medieval and Classical settings best, but Steampunk and Sci-Fi are also a ton of fun. Urban Fantasy a la Holly Black is also fun and ASoIaF-style Alternate Historical is awesome.

6) What're your hobbies? Do you collect rocks or mount insects?
Reading and worldbuilding are my passions. I also love trivia and brain games, with any luck I'll be on College Jeopardy soon. ^^ Hiking, gaming, drawing, and interior designs also eat up a lot of my time.

7) What's something you're good at besides writing? Maybe you're on the volleyball team or you're a quick learner? Maybe you play the flute or can fold up chairs amazingly fast? xD
I'm a speed reader (990 WPM or so) and have a very sharp memory- like I mentioned above, I plan on trying out for Jeopardy soon. I'm also very good at organization and can fix most common problems with Xerox machines (thanks copy room aide position!). My favorite skill is that I'm very good at travelling. Through whatever combination of luck, attitude, and savvy, I find that things go my way especially when I have no plan.
Oh, and my internal alarm clock is nearly flawless. I can tell myself to wake up at any time past 3 a.m. and my eyes will pop open about fifteen minutes before that time without fail. In the past five years I've needed an alarm one time.

8) Do you have any friends here at RPG that invited you here? Would you want to make more friends while you're here?
No one invited me here, but I'd love to meet some people. ^^

9) Do we get cookies for looking through your thread and saying hello?
You can have cookies of whatever kind you like, so long as they're imaginary.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Archaeological
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: Another New Face

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:02 pm

1) You should have just said #BecauseArchaeology. It's a thing now, because of the World Cup. #BecauseFutbol. However, that's pretty cool, digging up bones and stuff.

2) What is Barbermonger...?

3) Toxic environment? Hateful staff? I sincerely hope that we don't become a hateful staff toward you. We staff members are denoted in colored usernames, and we're all nice people that won't bite. Unless we need to. As for toxic environment, we try to keep this place as clean as possible. 100% Radioactive Waste Free since 2009. We can't take care of the drama or personal issues, but we can stop flame wars and the such. We're here to help.

The 5 Rules that we have are simple enough to abide by.

4) Hmm. We take our rules seriously, no disrespect. Again, we try to keep this place a healthy environment to foster the creative flow and spark. We also have systems and tools to help you roleplay, and I consider them to be quite unique.

5) Mmmh. Yummy. All of those are definitely fun, I've never heard of Urban Fantasy a la Holly Black though. Medieval, Classical, High, and Mythical fantasy; Sci-Fi, Steampunk, Cyberpunk, and all the cross genres in between are just fun to create characters and tell stories in.

6) Cool, cool. Are you minoring in Interior Design?

7) That's incredible. 990 words per minute? Jesus Christ... Your memory? Is it like that of Solomon Shereshevsky? And that internal alarm clocks, speechless. They could train you to be an assassin after 3 AM.

8) You'll meet plenty of folks from all around the world.

9) No real cookies? What are you, a Nazi? (That was a joke, take it easy.)

You've answered a lot of questions, now I think it's your turn to ask any, if you have any. Feel free to ask all the questions you need to help you get around RPG, we will answer them all.

On behalf of everyone at RPG, RolePlayGateway, we are happy to have you with us.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Archaeological on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Thank you very much for the welcome! ^^

1) I totally should have. Darnit.
Unfortunately I don't do bones. That's forensic anthropology. Archaeology is just a teeny bit different; we focus on material artifacts and only touch dead things if we're analyzing what they were buried with or wearing.

2) A site that lists y'all as an affiliate. http://barbermonger.b1.jcink.com/index.php

3) Honestly, I've never had an experience like the last one before and I doubt I'll ever have one again. This site seems really cool and the rules also seem to be a lot more close to home rather than these vague things that are posted and then forgotten about. ^^ The lack of radioactive waste is good, too. I want superpowers but not that badly. XD

4) I've noticed that things look well-organized. Hopefully it won't take too long for me to learn the ropes and get everything set up in a game or two of my own. ^^

5) Holly Black is one of the few YA authors I really enjoy. She has a dark, gritty style that blends contemporary issues with ancient myth quite seamlessly. ^^ Most of my urban fantasy is at least vaguely inspired by her works.

6) I plan on minoring in Museum Science, but if they don't get that minor fixed up in time I'll be minoring in entomology. Interior design is fun but a minor will get me nowhere. :c

7) I've actually never heard of that guy before. Wikipedia makes him sound really cool, but my memory isn't quite that good. For me, seven times is the charm when doing long things, not using mnemonics or sysaesthetic cues. I memorized Hamlet's Second Soliliquy in under twenty minutes by repeating every part seven times, but I couldn't have heard it and repeated it back so easily.
As for reading, it's one of those things that sounds great in theory but is less so in practice. Books just don't last me. To put it in perspective, when I first read through Game of Thrones it took me six to eight hours because I was going slowly and savoring every moment. If I read at full speed now (which isn't very much fun) I could finish the book in five and change. The TV series is something like eleven or twelve hours, I think. Even if I dawdled, the TV show would still provide many more hours of entertainment. Convincing my mom to buy me books when I was a kid was almost impossible.
Honestly, though, for all my reading and memory and internal alarm, I would probably get caught as an assassin. For some reason I look very suspicious to authority figures. I haven't gotten through an airport without being "randomly" selected since I was thirteen. :c

8) I'm glad to hear it. ^^ I often find that places with more global communities tend to be more active and more interesting.

9) I'm not, but I did my German home work in Mein Kampfy chair back in high school (the German teacher also kicked me out of class for telling that joke). Does that count?

Hrm. I don't think I have any specific questions at the moment, but I'm sure I'll think of some later. Thanks again for the warm welcome. ^^

Archaeological
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:16 pm

1) Don't be too down. You'll have plenty of chances for that.

2) Really? Interesting.

3) Hahaha. One of the more down to earth answers, I like that.

5) Well, I look forward to what you write.

6) They say you should minor in what you like/love to do, and major in what will ensure financial stability.

7) Shereshevsky suffered quite a bit, he could not forget things, little things, big things, the worst were traumatic things. He tried to get rid of his memories by writing them on paper and burning them. Forgetting, might also be a blessing.

I would imagine so, blazing through a book like that. You lose a bit on the minor details.

9) No. Thank God.

Yeah, no problem. The staffers are always around to help. We're colored usernames. Feel free to drop by the Help Lounge in the Bottom Bar Chat.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!