Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Have You Ever...

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Have You Ever...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Writing Nitrate on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:08 am

Have you ever heard a song that just inspired you to do something? Something besides cry mind you. Today, I was listening through my old playlist, one I haven't touched in a good while and a this song Headstrong by Trapt came on and I just had the urge to go fight someone! I'm not talking another woman either, I mean a big tall 6'4' ish guy with some lean muscles packed on him. Now, I'm sitting here thinking, if I'm going to throw a punch at a man that tall, I'm 5'8'', and he's going to swing back at me I will most likely get my ass kicked. That didn't change the fact that I wanted to go and fight someone because of that song. Same thing happens when I listen to Riot by Three Days Grace. Is this totally insane or what?
"If I can't annoy anyone there is little point in writing." - Kingsley Amis
ImageImageImageImageImage
My personality in a nutshell.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Writing Nitrate
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Have You Ever...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fabled_Tales on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:29 am

I use music all the time to inspire my writing.
18+ Freeform roleplay about heaven, hell, and the supernatural between http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=46642&date=1321123164
We could use quite a few people, come check us out!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fabled_Tales
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Queen of Ice on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:43 pm

This might sound weird, but sometimes music inspires to get up and start moving my body in these bizarre ways. These strange spasms (usually occurring in my hips, arms, and legs) are often synchronized to the beat of the song. I hear that I'm not the only one...please tell me other people do this, too!

;D

In all seriousness, music can inspire me to do a lot of things depending on the song. I usually use music to get myself pumped to work out, lull myself to sleep, or inspire some writing. I've experienced the same sort of thing as you- hopefully msot peopel have. Good music should inspire some sort of feeling in you.
<3

Queen of Ice
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RiftRaftRift on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:12 pm

Writing, mostly writing. Music is my muse when I have a block.
I ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more
No, I ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more
Well, I try my best
To be just like I am
But everybody wants you
To be just like them
They sing while you slave and I just get bored
I ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

RiftRaftRift
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm always listening to music when I am writing. It calms me and helps me to concentrate on letting my mind think for itself without being hindered by IRL matters (or online ones either!). Depending on what I am writing or for who, decides what kind of music I listen too. Like Ophelia for example, I tend to listen to the Pan's Labyrinth soundtrack because it suits her greatly. It makes it so much easier to imagine the scene she is in, and words just flow from my finger tips. ^^ And for like, Ren Kamakt, I listen to Yoshida Brothers. Asian, foreign, and with a slight attitude towards it. You know what I mean? Music is so inspirational when it comes to all my writing. ^^
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lashun on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Songs give me urges too, especially if the song sparks a certain memory. Like, Riot by Three Days Grace, it makes me angry until I change the song.

@Queen of Ice; no you're not the only one ;D That usually happens when I hold back my urges to dance.

Lashun
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phoenixrisen on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Music is great for all sorts of things. For me, I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I do have trouble crying sometimes even when I need to. I've been through a lot, and that likely has something to do with it. So sometimes, I do use music to help me cry if I need to and can't.

I also get calmed by music, inspired (in many ways), it can help me be happy when I'm not feeling so great. I have also gotten frustrated by music when subconsciously I want to hear something specific and I can't find it.

Music has an effect on your mind. It's supposed to. That's really what it's designed for. You wouldn't like the songs that you did if they didn't hold some meaning or effect your perceptions.

@Queen of Ice; I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've listened to some music that's made me want to strip my clothes off and dance naked... Then again I'm of a pagan belief set, so that probably didn't help the situation any. XD

Phoenixrisen
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:28 pm

When writing, I typically listen to solo piano music or Sufi music, two very different kinds of music. Specifically, I like David Nevue (spelling?), Azam Ali (and Niyaz and Vas), Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and similar artists. When doing things not related to writing, I typically listen to rock or metal or pop/rock or alternative (but usually nothing very mainstream), such as Metallica, Death Cab for Cutie, Skillet, Murder by Death, the Decemberists, or Superchick.

Music that inspires me transcends genre.

I listen to music to bring me back to earth and at the same time to ascend from this material existence - music is not just something nice to listen to; it is a way of regulating my mind and soul for the better.
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lilikins on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:13 am

Any Disney music inspires me to clean, I don't know why, it just does. >.>

"A Whole New World." Comes on and I break out the mop and bucket.

Lilikins
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fabled_Tales on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:36 am

Its the subliminal messaging ;o)

Fabled_Tales
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Dance. Write. Do things. Almost swerve. Music has inspired me to do all of that.

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!