Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Proxy

a topic in The Writer's Lounge, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

A place for original short stories, fanfiction, essays, and the like.

Proxy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 am

Author's Note

Hi Guys so this is an attempt at a mystery thriller set on a Cyberpunk Mars with a little bit of action thrown in. It’s Cyberpunk because I really need to get the cyberpunk thing out of my system and for some reason I have poor luck with Cyberpunk RPs.

Anyway read and hopefully enjoy.

EDIT: It's pretty sweary and there will be some situations that are a bit dark. Now I'm not suggesting I'm a good enough writer to genuinely offend sensibilities but if you don't like curse words, violence and "dark situations" (I hate describing things as dark but it beats gritty) this one probably isn't for you.

Proxy

Introduction

“Chris? You gotta wake up pal, we don’t exactly have all day here.”

Chris Mueller stirred in his sleep before finally opening his eyes.

He had expected to be in bed so was surprised to find himself laying on a sandy beach.

“Where in the hell?”

“Chris good to see you. How you feeling?”

The man was standing with his back to the sun so he was difficult to identify.

“Who’s that?” Chris asked.

“Oh sorry.” The man said as he stepped out of the sun letting Chris get a good look at him. It was Chris' partner Detective David Kojima.

“Dave. What’re we doing here?”

“It was your idea.” Kojima responded, he was wearing a suit and didn’t look ready for a day at the beach. Then Chris realised he too was wearing a suit.

“I don’t remember...” Chris said.

“Look Chris I gotta level with you here because we don’t have a lot of time. I need to know who you were meeting in Schumacher Tenements, earlier today. Do you remember?”

“The tenements... in the city?”

“Yeah. Who was it? I need the name of your informant.”

“The Tenements... yeah sure of course.” Chris got to his feet and started feeling a little less dopey. “I was meeting with my CI Ringo. It was about Earth First they got something planned, big terrorist action.”

“Ringo.” Kojima repeated. “That’s good, what did he tell you?”

“Uh... Shit how long ago was this? I’m uh... ha, I’m having trouble remembering.”

“It’s ok Chris, just try to remember what he told you.”

“We met in a room... 17A. It was old. Ringo was already there, he looked like he was tripping on Stims.”

“He was.” Kojima interjected.

“He told me... He told they were bringing in a team, from Earth to do a big job. It’s a massive attack, we’re taking huge casualties.” Chris said as an apparition of himself and Ringo appeared on the sand beside them.

“What’s the target?” Kojima asked as he watched the phantom meeting between Ringo and Chris.

“I asked him that but it was too late.”
Phantom Ringo suddenly collapsed and vanished. Leaving the spectre Chris standing there.

“Aw fuck. I got tagged.” Chris said suddenly realising where he was.

“Yeah man.”

“How bad?” Muller asked.

“This is probably the last time I’ll be seeing you.” Kojima answered honestly.

“Oh Christ. Where’s Karen? The girls?”

“They’re on the way. Look Chris I need as much detail as possible... you’re not exactly rich with time here.”

“Goddamn it. Ok.”

The beach melted away and soon Muller and Kojima were standing in Muller’s memory of Room 17A in the Schumacher Tenement. In the middle of the room Phantom Ringo and Muller were standing like statues.

“Ok so I met with Ringo and he told me.”

“They got a team coming over... Heavy hitters outta earth some Illegal Augs too. Say it’s gonna be big.”

“What is the Target?” Phantom Chris asked.

Ringo didn’t even get the words out before he collapsed although this time a body remained while Phantom Chris threw himself against the wall under the window.

“Sniper from the across the street took Ringo out and kept me pinned down. I was about to call for back up when...”
The door to room 17A exploded open in a shower of plastic and what had once been a lock. Standing in the doorway was a very tall man wearing trench coat and holding a shotgun. Phantom Chris turned around but it was too late. A shotgun blast turned his left arm into a red mist. The trench coat fired again but this time the memory stopped just as the Shotgun barrel was flaring. The result was heavily distorted image of the man firing the weapon.

“Guess that was the kill shot. That’s all I can remember, I’m not such good shape out there am I?”

“Probably best you don’t remember the next part. You did well to hang in for so long.” Kojima said. “Let me get a look at this prick.”

“Sure.” Chris said as he recalled the memory of the man who killed him. Kojima knew it wouldn’t be a perfect likeness, Chris hadn’t seen him well enough so what Kojima was actually looking was part memory and part Chris’ mind filling in the gaps. For example the man was a foot taller than Kojima which probably wasn’t accurate but given the stress levels Mueller was under when during the creation of the memory it was understandable.

Kojima took a long look at the man’s eyes. Apparently it was the first thing people look at when seeing a face so he assumed the eyes were the most likely feature to be accurate. They were an unnatural shade of blue which suggested the killer had augmented eyes, possibly even replaced.

“So how long I got?”

“Don’t know. The Doc’s only let me in to strap the VR rig on you so we could debrief.”

“Right. Just make sure Karen makes it here, alright?”

“Of course the Medics got you stabilised, they’ll keep you ticking over. You in any pain?”

“Little depersonalised. I guess that’s VR plus Phantom limb, looks like old lefty’s gone.” Chris said as he looked at his simulated left hand.

“Chris I promise you I’ll find this asshole.”

“I know Dave.”

“You want us to load a programme for you?”

“Naw Karen will be ere soon and I want to get set up.”

Room 17A faded away and was replaced by the beach again except this time they were standing on a large veranda overlooking the porch. Chris was no longer in his work suit but a Dress Kilt.

“You know I think this was the day I was the happiest I’ve ever been.”

“Chris?” It was a woman’s voice that made both men turn around.

Karen Mueller was standing in her wedding dress exactly how Chris Mueller remembered her.

“Karen.” Chris said as a large smile spread across his face. He turned his head but kept his eyes on his wife. “Dave if the debrief is over...”

“It’s over Chris.” Kojima’s words didn’t matter though Chris was already walking towards his wife.

“See you partner.” Kojima said as he watched the couple have their first and last dance for a few seconds before pulling himself out of the simulation.

He pinched the bridge of his nose and waited for the vertigo to pass. He always got it after VR. Now he was back in the real world sitting on a crappy chair beside the bedside of a mortally wounded Chris Mueller. Whoever had killed him had delivered had delivered quite a beating after they shot him twice. Mueller’s body was a broken mess or missing limbs and medical tubes.

“Fucking cowards.” Kojima muttered. On the other side of the bed Karen Mueller was connected to a VR rig and holding her husband’s hand. In their shared dream though they were dancing on the sand. Wonders of modern Technology.

Kojima left the room and gave the couple some privacy.

(To Be Continued.)
Last edited by Bosch on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Proxy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Addrinvan on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 pm

I like it so far Bosch keep it up please. I haven't really been exposed to much cyberpunk so you're kinda popping a cherry here (Be gentle).
It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Addrinvan
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 am

Author’s Note. Thanks Add Cyberpunk is a pretty cool setting but much like Steampunk the definition is pretty expansive. You’ve probably seen, played or read something Cyberpunk and not realised. William Gibson is a good starting point although he’s a bit dated now as is the way with all Sci Fi, that’s not to say he’s bad though. I’d recommend reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline which for me is one of the best modern examples of the genre.

In my story, while it does have Cyberpunk elements, the protagonists are police officers so they don’t really fit with the outsider vibe of the genre. There are cyberpunk works like Blade Runner or the video game series Deus Ex though that do explore Cyberpunk through people who are members of the establishment.

It’s a cool genre.

Chapter One.
Knock Knock.

Kojima was piloting his Martian Security Service issued Vertical Take Off and Landing craft or VTOL over Kaiser city. The city was named for the crater it was nestled in which kept the Atmosphere contained. Terraforming Mars had been a particularly difficult problem because the magnetosphere of the Planet wasn’t enough to contain a atmosphere and any attempt the create Atmo would just be blown away. That’s when someone got the idea to put the Atmo in more defensible spaces like craters which provided some natural cover to the Atmo.

This led to the creation of the Atmo Rings around the lip of each crater that constantly pumped Atmosphere into the craters. It allowed the craters at least to support life. The result was from orbit Mars looked like a large red desert with little oases of bluegreen. Kojima was too close to see it like that though all he could see was the bright lights of Kaiser below and the empty sky above.

While he was piloting the VTOL he was speaking to his Superior officer Inspector Marco Altano. He had just given his report on the debrief of Mueller.

“So the Confidential Informant was selling somebody out to Mueller but then he got sold out. We gotta find out who was buying and who was selling.” Kojima said his words being transmitted via the small microphone implanted in his throat the responses he could hear thanks to the implant that stimulated the small bones in his ear.

“We? Detective Kojima there is no way you are on this case. The Martian Security Service will not allow one of its officers to go on a revenge mission. You’re Counter Terrorism Department anyway you’re not a murder police.”

“Revenge mission? What are you talking about Altano, I’m investigating a grievous assault on a fellow officer.”

“It’s murder now, Chris Mueller died about ten minutes ago.”
Kojima let the words hang, he knew it was coming but it wasn’t less of a shock. “Altano, Mueller was working a lead from one of his CIs, the guy who took one in the dome. The Informant was called Ringo that’s probably a street name but it’s something to go on.”

“A confidential Informant called Ringo what was he a Beatles fan?”

“What like the bug?”

“No the band, Jesus Kojima read a history book. Ringo was the drummer in the Beatles.”

Kojima rolled his eyes Altano had a thing for 20th century rock. “Point is this informant was telling Mueller about an impending attack, a terrorist attack which means it falls under my remit as a Detective of the Counter Terrorism Department. It would be dereliction of duty for me not to investigate.”

Altano was quiet for a long moment.

“Alright but this is too hot, you’re taking a partner on this.”

“I don’t have time to be...”

“Kojima, shut up. You’re lucky I’m not putting you on suspended leave for grief counselling. Come by the Department and pick up your partner.”

“Who?”

“I’m sending the file now.”

The contents of the file did not please Det. David Kojima.

#
Kojima strode into Altano’s office with what he perceived to be righteous indignation on his side, Altano was ready for Kojima’s complaints however and shut down the cop before he could get any words out.

“I don’t wanna hear it Kojima you’re taking her. You’re next on rotation anyway.”

“She’s a fucking rookie!”

“So where you once, David. Now I want you to follow you goddamn orders and work with Detective Junior Grade Wilson.
Kojima exhaled loudly. “This case is big Altano. They assassinated a police over it. She holds me up I’m sending her straight back to you.”

“And I’ll send you straight to the unemployment line Kojima. Play the game Detective.” Inspector Altano said.
Kojima shook his head. “Where is she?”

“Sitting behind you.”

“Detective?” Kojima turned to see a young woman wearing a suit standing behind him with a bashful look on her face. “Detective Junior Grade Melanie Wilson, It’s a pleasure.” She extended her hand.

“I’m sure.” Kojima said as he shook her outstretched palm.

“If you reviewed my file you’ll see I qualified top of my class in...”

“I read the file JG Wilson. It was very impressive unfortunately the Sims don’t count towards experience.”

“That’s why I’m here Detective.”

Kojima had no choice so he decided it would be just best to run with the situation.

“Alright we got a couple of leads to chase down.”

“That’s the spirit Kojima.” Altano said with a big smile.

#

As they made their way back to the VTOL Kojima outlined the case so far.

“Detective Mueller had a confidential informant by the name of Ringo. Ringo was big time stim head, the crime scene techs say he was pumped full of heroin at the time of his death.”

“Heroin? How... retro.” Wilson said.

“Yeah, don’t see it too often on Mars, its more of an Earth thing. Anyway during this meeting Ringo seemed to suggest that there was some kind of big terrorist action going down involving Earth First. You know Earth First?”

“A mid level terrorist organisation. They achieved some infamy as the group responsible for the scuttling of the Initech Catalina Transport Vessel causing the company massive losses in revenue.”

“Not to mention the crew members who suddenly found themselves spaced.”

“Of course.” Wilson added.

“Good, they’ve a history of violence and it’s obvious they’re willing to drop police if they have to.”

“So you’re saying it was a hit?”

“I’m not saying anything yet. I did see Mueller’s memory of the event though looked like a professional job to me.”

“But Mueller was nearly beaten to death, that’s not professional. Why not just execute him and get it over with?”

“Now you’re thinking Wilson. The perpetrators were professional and coordinated. Ringo was dropped by a sniper bullet from across the street and seconds later someone broke into the room and killed Mueller with no hesitation. Then the professionalism stopped and Mueller got beat and mutilated. Only Mueller though, Ringo’s body was left.”

“The guy hates cops?”

“That’s what I’m thinking to the extent that he couldn’t keep himself under control during the assassination. Of course it might be he just hates Mars, which would fit the profile of an Earth First member. Whatever the reason the fact that Mueller got the worst of it means they knew who he was beforehand.”

“Bastards.”

Kojima said nothing as they were arriving at their destination. A large tenement building called Bethesda towers. As with all building’s on Kaiser the top floors of the building were dedicated to VTOL parking.

“So this is Ringo’s last known address? What a shithole.” Wilson commented.

“Yeah just make sure you keep a control of that weapon, these stimheads have fast hands.”

Wilson nodded as Kojima went to the rear of the vehicle and opened the thumbprint activated weapons locker. A tray extended displaying various types of weaponry but Kojima reached straight for the Shotgun.

“Planning on resistance?”

“It’s a prop.” Kojima answered. “You good with just your side arm?”

“Yeah I’m competent, besides it should be a measure of last resort.”

“Kid in a place like this if you aren’t ready to act decisively your first resort could wind up being your last.”

“I find it’s easier to read people than go in shooting.”

“I saw that in your file. You’re a head shrink.”

“I have a master’s degree in forensic psychology, it helps me empathize with the people I work with.”

“You can get inside their heads?”

“I wouldn’t call it that but I can understand what makes offenders tick.”

“Could be a handy skill in Counter terrorism work.” Kojima said offhandedly.

#

They took the stairs down to the room that Ringo had last given Mueller as his address. Room 24J in Bethesda towers. As they approached the door and Kojima held a finger to his lips. Wilson nodded unholstered her weapon. In unison both of the cops activated their contacts, small implants that projected information directly into their retinas. They both selected combat mode and waited a second for the contacts to sync to their weapons and each other. They then activated the HUD which supplied them with real time information about their tactical situation. The HUD was capable of monitoring the status of their weapons, their partner’s weapons, detecting and highlighting weapons as well providing navigational support thanks to the numerous floor plans the MSS server had on file.

Augmentation and limb replacement technology was common practice in Kaiser City although it wasn’t something Kojima went in for. He just couldn’t see the sense in hacking off a perfectly good limb and replacing it with something that had an off switch. He knew Wilson had a replacement left eye but her file had mentioned no other replacements.

Like him she was augmented though. Augmentations, unlike replacements, worked with the body’s natural structures to make them better. The main difference was you still had your natural physique. They weren’t as strong as a replacement but they did the job. Kojima activated his Nanofibre muscle implants which would give him a boost of strength and speed. For a second he felt a biting pain shoot through his body but it soon passed.

“We’re going in hot and not taking any chances, watch the corners and don’t pass a door without checking it.” Kojima whispered.

Wilson gave him the thumbs up, the by the book signal she’d heard and comprehended his message.

Kojima reached out and tried the handle but the door was locked. He flicked a switch on the side of his shotgun and selected breaching rounds. He then raised the weapon to the lock and fired. It wasn’t lost on him that less than three hours earlier the murderer of Chris Mueller was doing the same thing across the city.

The shotgun burped loudly and Kojima blitzed into the room. The shotgun beeped tell Kojima it had automatically switched back to its primary setting. He was on point and made his way down the hall quickly but carefully. He stopped to check a bedroom that contained a only a sleeping girl, obviously passed out on stims. Wilson ducked into a filthy bathroom but found it empty. After a few seconds the found themselves in the joint kitchen and living area looking at three stim addicts who were too shocked to move.

“Nobody mo...”

Kojima didn’t get to finish the sentence as one of the stim heads rushed him. He fired a round from the shotgun that impacted the guy’s sternum and he fell in a heap.

“Oh fuck! OH FUCK! I’m dead man! I’m fucking dying!” The addict roared.

“Shut up asshole, it’s a beanbag round.” Kojima said as he grabbed the man by the hair and dragged him back onto the couch. The three Stim heads looked at Kojima expectantly but he didn’t speak to them instead he called to Wilson who was behind him.

“There’s a girl in one of the bedrooms get her out here.”

“Uh hey man River is sick. She’s like got the cold so I don’t think...” The bald addict said as he scratched his ear.

“Shut your mouth. I’m talking and you boys can only speak when I point at you ok?”

Kojima pointed the shotgun at the bald guy who nodded vigorously.

“Ok I’m looking for someone called Ringo. I want one of you tell me where he is or you’ll find out why they call Beanbag rounds less lethal and not non lethal. You first.”

Kojima pointed the Shotgun at the bald Addict on the left.

“I don’t know man nobody called Ringo liv...”

Kojima fired the shotgun into the stim addict’s face shattering his nose and sending him over the back of the couch. He was unconscious before he hit the floor.

“Wrong answer. See that poster behind you? The one that say’s the Beatles on it? Pretty rare to see something like in a place like this. Almost like the owner was a real fucking big Beatles fan, like a big enough fan to have the nickname Ringo.”

The bald addict didn’t answer because he was unconscious.

“Kojima what the hell?” Wilson asked for the corner of the room.

“What? This is how we get answers.” He responded without talking his eyes off the two remaining Stim Heads.

“It’s abuse.”

He ignored her question. “I told you to get the girl, where is she?”

“Dead. Needle in arm probably Heroin.”

“Dead and they didn’t even call it in. Are you really worried about the welfare of these scumbags?”

Wilson was silent.

“Thought so. Heroin though that’s pretty retro right?”

Kojima then turned his weapon on the guy in the middle of the sofa who had bright red hair.

“Ok he was unlucky because he didn’t know the rules but you know the rules right?”

“Y-Y-Y-Yeah.” The red head stammered.

“Ringo. Tell me what you know about him.”

“He uh, really liked the Beatles, like you said and he had a thing for like old stuff like you said retro stuff from Earth... He uh... He was the one who killed River man he gave her the stuff...”

“You’re starting to wander off topic, I don’t care about River, I care about Ringo. Where is he?”

“He was meeting with some dude across town.”

“Who? Why?”

“I don’t know.”

Kojima nodded there was no way an addict like Ringo would have admitted he was a confidential informant for the MSS.

“He’s telling the truth.” Wilson said. She had deactivated the combat setting on her contacts and activated the psyche profile programme. “Stress levels in his voice and pupil dilation are not suggestive of deception.”

She watched as Kojima continued his interrogation. She was glad that the bald addict at least appeared to be breathing despite his shattered nose.

“Alright let’s back it up Ringo liked heroin right? That’s an old school earth drug, not too popular these days. Who was his supplier?”

“I don’t know man I swear to God.”

Wilson sighed. The man was lying. “Kojima he’s being deceptive.”

“That means you’re lying.” Kojima said as he racked another beanbag round into the shotgun.

“Look man I can’t tell you, he’ll fucking...”

Kojima cut him off. “I know what the problem is, you’re a kinesthetic learner. That means you don’t like learning by reading books or watching. Do you know how you like to learn?”

“No.” The red haired man answered as he shook his head vigorously.

“Kinesthetic Learning means you like to learn through doing. The head shrinkers call it experiential learning.”

“Wait no I...”

It was too late the shotgun burped again and the ginger flew over the couch and landed in a heap next to the bald man. Kojima sighed and turned to the final addict, the one who had originally tried to rush him.

“I’m not going to lie. I’m starting to get frustrated with the direction this is taking. I want to know who sold Ringo the Heroin do you know?”

“Slim Waylon. He lives over in Red horizon Appartments. I can draw it on a map if you want.”

“That won’t be necessary.” Kojima said with a smile.
Ten minutes later Kojima and Wilson were heading back up the stairs to their VTOL. The three addicts were handcuffed down stairs and waiting for the arrival of uniformed MSS officers who would charge all three for the death of the girl.

“You didn’t like that?” Kojima asked Wilson.

“We could have brought them for questioning, there are rules.”

“Not in the real world. Those simulations they run recruits through at the academy are all planned out to have easy resolutions. Not like the real world. If we brought those three in we wouldn’t get anything out of them until it was too late. We’re dealing with a terrorist attack here.”

“Suspected terrorist attack.” Wilson corrected.

“Tell it to Mueller.” Kojima said before opening the VTOL.

Wilson exhaled but let the conversation drop.

“That’s a pretty handy programme your contacts have.”

“It was part of my Masters. The programme detects subtle changes in physiology that can be used to detect mental states.”

“A lie detector?”

“Among other things. You need to know how to read the output though.”

Kojima nodded and piloted the VTOL out of the Bethesda Building. They were headed for Slim Waylon’s place over in the Red Horizon Building.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Chapter Two.

Pale Blue Dot.

“So what’s the plan with Slim Waylon?” Wilson asked as Kojima piloted the VTOL across the city skyline. The Sun was just beginning below the horizon bathing Kaiser City in twilight. Wilson always thought the city looked its most beautiful during the night, a part of her thought it was because of the electric light shows the city put on. In a way though it highlighted the differences in the city, the wealthy downtown areas were awash with neon lights and the thump of the bass heavy clubs just opening their doors. In other places, the tenements and homes of the poor were less attractive their lights were functional.

The other part of her thought she liked the city at night because it hid the bits you didn’t want to look at.

“Working on it.” Kojima said as he called dispatch via the Communications Application in his Contacts.

“MSS central. Identify please.”

“Detective David Kojima. ID number 132134

“Confirmed please proceed.”

“I need all the information we have about Slim Waylon, a drug dealer operating out of the Red Horizon Building.”

“Confirmed please wait.”

Kojima waited while a file was created and dispatched to him.

“Oh and central can you update us on the three suspects in Bethesda Towers.”

“All suspects have been arrested by uniformed MSS personnel, plus one DOA a female. Your information package should be with you now.”

“Thanks.”

He ended the connection and sent the file to Wilson’s contacts.

“I’m driving, tell me what we know about this guy.”

Wilson accessed the file and transparent text danced in front of her eyes.

“Ok Slim Waylon, real name Waylon Jones is a pretty small time dealer, looks like he’s found a niche though and is the top supplier in Kaiser for earth style Stims, like Heroin.”

She skimmed the text looking for something important.

“He’s had business dealings with Earth First and might be a sympathiser. Previous clients have been members looks like he’s had dealings with a small Bƍsƍzoku gang as well who act as muscle and delivery boys. Got a couple of arrests but he’s kept his nose clean mainly dealing and possessing unregistered weapons. Nothing that saw him go away for too long.”

She reached the end of the file. “Says he’s a person of interest to the Drugs and Contraband Department.” She said in conclusion.

That was a good lead Kojima thought. He quickly used his contacts to call a cop he knew from the D&C department called Kim Rosen.

She answered after the first ring. “David?”

“Hi Kim. How’s tricks?”

“I haven’t worked vice in years Kojima, the jokes are getting old.”

“Depends on who’s telling them.”

“To what do I owe this pleasure Detective? Little early for booty calls.”

Kojima smiled and was glad he was the only one that could hear the conversation. He thought he could see Wilson smile and wondered if her mental states application was telling her more than he intended. He decided to ignore Kim’s comment.

“I need info Kim, I’m chasing down a guy called Waylon Jones or Slim Waylon. Dealer outta of Red Horizon.”

“This anything to do with Mueller? I just heard. I’m sorry.”

“Yeah me too.”

“You remember we went to the wedding together? God... I can’t believe it. How’s Karen?”

“I didn’t really get a chance to speak to her.”

“Oh. So is this anything to do with his death?”

“What makes you think it is?”

“I know you Kojima, no way would you let this drop and no way would you risk letting someone else screw it up.”

“Just chasing down a lead, I don’t know enough yet to say either way.”

“Well you’ve me intrigued enough to get out of bed.”

“You’re in bed? It’s not even nine yet.”

“I was working a double. What do you want? I’m not twenty anymore.” He could hear her moving around.

“I’ve got a partner here, Detective Junior Grade Melanie Wilson. I’m patching her in now.”

“Ok, Hello J.G. Wilson I trust Detective Kojima is treating you well? Don’t worry his bark is worse than his bite.”

“If you say so.” Wilson deadpanned.

“Yeah it takes a while for that old Kojima charm to start working, I’m still waiting in fact.” Kim said before getting down to business. “So here’s what I got, no doubt you’ve already been through the official file, the D&C one is a little thicker but not by much. He’s a dealer in Earth stims and is connected to Earth First. Heavily augmented including a couple of suspected neural implants, probably to counteract all the brain cells he’s fried with the drugs.”

She clicked her tongue which was a habit she had while reading.

“He’s got replacement arms and has gone for strength rather than looks. Dude looks like a car crusher.”

“Can you send the picture over?” Wilson asked.

“Already in your inbox. I don’t think you’ll have a lot of luck going to Red Horizon. By now he’s most likely at one of the clubs... most likely PBD.”

“Never heard of it.” Kojima said.

“PBD stands for Pale Blue Dot, it’s an Earth themed night club. Makes sense a guy like Slim would operate outta there.”

“Great Kim you got anything else for me?”

“I can access the surveillance package we got set up on him and run it from remotely from here.”

“I thought you were going to bed?”

“You got me interested now.”

“Great we’ll be in touch when we get to PBD.”

#

They paid the entry fee and strode into the club. Kojima had told Wilson they wouldn’t be identifying themselves as Cops until they had something to go on. Wilson felt a little out of place, normally she loved night clubs but normally she wasn’t dressed in a suit carrying a pistol loaded with tungsten rounds specifically designed to destroy replacement implants.

The music was thumping and Kojima nearly bumped into a man in a grey suit with slightly greying hair he then realised he was looking at a reflection of himself in the polished metal of one of the many sculptures in the place that were supposed to represent monuments on Earth. The one he was looking at was supposed to represent Stonehenge others included the Eiffel tower, Statue of Liberty and Burj Khalifa. All were made out of polished metal and were pretty good likenesses, at least Kojima thought so he couldn’t be sure as he’d only seen pictures, the only one still standing on Earth was Stonehenge.

Wilson seemed to find the groove of the music quite easily but Kojima just felt old. He glanced around at the people in the club, all young, at least the faces were, the people underneath could be any age. The surgeons could make anyone look like they were twenty if you had the credits. Kojima had always figured if you needed someone to cut up your face up to get confidence your problems were probably more than skin deep.

“Alright we’d best split up see if we can’t find this guy.” Kojima said to Wilson via the communications implant.

“Sure. Although if we busted this place right now the drugs department would meet its quota for the year.”

“Yeah but how many of these do you think are Corporate salarymen? They’d get out of it with a slap on the wrists. Besides we’re here for Slim.”

Wilson made her way through the crowd and across the dance floor but she couldn’t see Slim. She did pass a few people she knew from the Kaiser Night club scene but they didn’t give her a second glance, not due to rudeness but they just didn’t recognise her in a business suit. She wondered about Kojima and what she’d seen so far. He had a reputation in the MSS for being difficult to work with but a good cop. So far she’d seen noting to dissuade her from that. He had made some calls she would not have but they turned out to be the right ones. She guessed that’s what he meant by the simulations at the academy not teaching everything. She couldn’t help but smile at Kojima in the club, it clearly wasn’t his scene. She could picture him sitting in quiet bar somewhere listening to live music not here bouncing along to the electronic beat. It would be interesting to see how this would play out.

“Wilson I think he’s in the VIP area. Above the dance floor.”

Wilson looked up at the massive ball suspended above the dance floor. From her perspective it looked like another large sculpture but it was a room where VIPs could go and watch the dance floor below.

“Agreed I can’t see him down here.”

“Any idea how to get up there?” Kojima asked as he looked at the two burly looking suited bouncers blocking the entrance.

“Are you a very important person?”

“Afraid not.”

Kim’s voice reached both of them via the communications Application. “Need to get to the VIP area?”

“Yeah but we don’t want to blow our cover.”

“No problem. Kojima send a picture of the guys working the door.”

Kojima used his contacts to snap a picture of the two bouncers on the door and sent it on the Kim. The two men looked the part, thick and strong thanks to a lot of strength augmentations. The suits they were wearing barely contained their bulging muscles.

“Should be with you now.” Kojima said after he sent the picture.

“Ok the one the right with the Mohawk is called Tiny, I remember him from my days in Vice. He’s cool and will let working girls take Johns into bars and VIP areas if he gets a cut.”

“I don’t like where this is going.” Wilson chimed in.

“I can see why she’s a detective.” Kim laughed. “Ok Wilson you’re going to have to go to the bathroom and try to look a bit less cop. Kojima you’re going to need to look like a sad, lonely man. So just keep doing what you’re doing I guess.”

“You’re hilarious.” Kojima deadpanned.

“Aren’t I though? Seriously, go buy a drink, something good like a whiskey for you and a champagne for Wilson. You need to look like you belong.”

While Kojima was buying the drink Wilson went to the bathrooms and got a mirror. She let her hair down and applied a little more makeup.

“Don’t forget the shirt buttons.” Kim suggested over the comms.

Wilson sighed and undid a few buttons on her shirt.

“Ok walk up to Tiny and tell him you’re one of Stephanie’s girls and that you got a wealthy client who wants to go to the VIP room. He’ll ask for a cut and you tell him to talk to Stephanie. Got it?”

“Got it.” Wilson said as she took a long look at herself in the mirror and shook her head. “I don’t know how you vice girls do this, I feel ridiculous.”

“Yeah you get used to it. It’s funny in a way, nothing makes men dumber than a scantily dressed woman. It’s what makes us the best undercover officers. You ready for this?”

“Yeah I’ll be fine.”

Wilson made her way back to Kojima who handed her a Champagne flute. She then approached the Bouncers.

“Woah there baby. You ain’t going up there.” Tiny said as he held a huge hand out in front of Wilson.

“I know Tiny, I work with Stephanie though and I’m trying to show a friend a good time.”

“You working?” Tiny asked abruptly.

“What’s it look like?”

“I don’t know, normally you girls don’t look like bank managers.”

“Yeah he’s got a uh, Suit fetish.”

“Really? Nothing surprises me these days, everybody’s a kink for something I guess. Go on up just make sure I get my cash from Stephanie on time this week yeah?”

“Sure thing Tiny.” Wilson said as she returned to Kojima.

“We in?”

“We’re in.”

She took Kojima’s arm in hers and they strode toward the staircase that would bring them to the VIP bar above the dance floor. On the way past Kojima raised his glass to the bouncers.

“Good work Kim. We’re up. Now we just need to get close enough to Slim for you to do you’re thing.”

“Yep I’ll be able to piggyback off your communications App and hack his system. You just need to stay near him.”

The VIP room reminded Wilson of a fish bowl. The circular bar was in the centre of the centre room and the glass floor allowed the patrons to look down at the dance floor below. The music was more subdued and it was almost like conversation was encouraged unlike the rowdiness below.

Immediately they saw Slim standing by the bar in the centre of the room surrounded by a group of five Bƍsƍzoku but neither Kojima or Wilson made a move, they were just getting in range so Kim could tap into his Augs and Replacements. The gang members were a common sight in Earth sympathetic areas. They were a reimagining of an ancient Japanese criminal gang who had used motorcycles. Kojima had dealings with them in the past usually of the “you’re under arrest” variety.

“Ok Kim we’re within range can you do it?” Kojima said as he grabbed a table close by Slim.

“Yep should take around half an hour though.”

“Just be as quick as you can.”

Unfortunately Kim wouldn’t get thirty minutes.
Last edited by Bosch on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Author’s Note. So pacing is hard. In retrospect I should have worked this chapter into the previous chapters but it can’t be helped now. The point of this chapter was to introduce our antagonists and to be honest I’m not happy with it. I really should have done this as I went. Nevertheless I won’t make the same mistake again.

Originally I was going to have a team of five, but that's the GM in me thinking. Writing is different from RP because instead of giving all the RPers something to do you need to focus more on what easier to understand and write about.

Chapter Four is almost good to go and it’s going to be combat heavy that’s a style of writing I’m not particularly good at (that’s not to say I’m good at any style I just feel I suck particularly hard at combat.) So if there is anyone still out there reading this with an interest in combat or the arena shoot me a PM as I’d love for someone to check over my attempt at combat before I post it.

Lastly isn’t this quite a nice bit of music?

Chapter Three.

The Other Side of the Coin

9 hours ago.

The man wore a long Dufflecoat which disguised the many replacements he had. He was sitting quietly in Maude’s Old Earth Style Diner in Kaiser City, Mars when his communications App displayed an incoming call in front of his replacement eyes.

It was from The Contact.

The tall man dabbed his mouth with a napkin and answered the call.

“There’s a problem.” The Contact said by way of hello.

“Problem? We don’t like problems.”

“Yeah well neither do we.” There was a slight delay in the response that told the man some pretty heavy encryption software was being used. “Which one of you am I speaking to?”

“Omega.” The tall man replied.

“Is your partner there?”

“Alpha is near. We remain apart until the job has concluded.”

“Good, look there’s been a fuck up. We have a leak.”

“I’m sorry to hear that but it sounds like your... fuck up.”

“Look asshole you’re Earth First too, that makes it our fuck up.”

“Alpha and I are just the sharp implements, this is your city, you’re running the show.”

“Yeah well there ain’t gonna be a show. We’ve got a fucking Stim Head talking to cops.”

“And you wish for us to deal with this Stim Head and his friends in the constabulary?”

“Yes.”

“When will the meeting talk place? It would be better to kill the addict before the meeting with the officer. Killing police will complicate matters.”

“No fucking kidding but the little fucker has gone to ground. I got the Bƍsƍzoku out looking for him but their turning up nothing.”

“We’re the tourists here. Find him and we’ll gladly take care of the problem.” Omega explained via his communications App. It wasn’t a suggestion but an order.

The connection ended and Omega returned to his meal. The tongue in his artificial head was one of the few body parts from birth he still possessed, the rest were replacements. Once he was finished he called his brother.

“Omega.” His brother answered.

“Alpha. There has been a problem, you need to be ready to move.”

“I am. What’s happened?”

“Earth First is different organisation on Mars. Not as professional as on Earth.”

“I’m beginning to see that, brother. Allow me to guess, they want us to fix their problem?”

“Yes. I’m awaiting further instructions.”

“Very good.”

#

7 hours ago.

Omega was standing in an apartment across the Street from the Schumacher Building which offered a good view of Apartment 17 A. The apartment he had chosen as his sniper perch had belonged to an obese elderly woman who had answered her door to Omega five minutes earlier. Omega deployed the blade that was integrated into his forearm and slit her throat before she could even say hello.
Omega adjusted the scope of his rifle and zeroed in on one of the men the contact had told him to kill less than thirty minutes previously. The Stim head was called Ringo and the Cop was called Chris Mueller. Apparently Ringo was a low level member of the Earth First organisation on Mars and had been used to transport some of the equipment Alpha and Omega would be using as part of their plan however he hadn’t been checked out correctly and it transpired he was also a snitch for an MSS cop called Chris Mueller.

Omega couldn’t get over that. On Earth the organisation wouldn’t have made a screw up like that. On Earth they knew what was at stake. On Mars being a member of Earth First was just trendy that’s how fuck up’s like this one happened, people playing at revolutionary.

The rifle was perfectly in sync with Omega’s replacements. His replacement eyes, arms and lungs were all working together to ensure when he took the shot the bullet would be perfectly accurate. His thin replacement legs held him as solidly as a rock and the result was the high powered sniper rifle was as much a part of his body as a beating heart was for a normal man. In fact when he was storing the rifle in the integrated holster in his legs it was part of his body just like every other weapon he carried.

The Cop and Snitch had just entered the room.

“Alpha they arrived together. We’ll have to kill the cop.”

“Confirmed.”

One of the men looked grubby like a drug addict should, dirty with poorly dyed hair while the other was in a suit and Omega could smell the cop on him even from across the street.

He couldn’t hear what they were saying but he’d been lip reading through a sniper scope long enough to make an educated guess.

“So what couldn’t wait Ringo?”

“You gotta help me Mueller, they’re sending guys out after me. They don’t want me knowing what I know.”

“And what’s that Ringo? I gotta meet my partner in an hour, we have actual police work to do not just listening to random Stim Heads talking shit.”

“Yeah whatever, tell Kojima too hell maybe his informants know too.”

“I doubt it Ringo, You’re special, only a scumbag like you would sell out their cause as fast as you did.”

“I want protection man, You gotta protect me.”

“From what? At the moment you’re giving me nothing. You want for me to just arrest you because right now you’re wasting my time.”

“Alright I’ll give you something then you gotta get me outta here.”

“Go on tell me something interesting.”

“They got a team coming over... Heavy hitters outta earth some Illegal Augs too. Say it’s gonna be big.”

“What is the Target?” Mueller asked.

Omega spoke allowing the communications app to broadcast his words to Alpha. “He’s about to do it. We can’t take the risk.”

“Take the shot.” Alpha answered from via the App.

Omega squeezed the trigger and the gun made a brief pfft. Across the street Ringo’s brain exploded out of the side of his head but Omega didn’t notice. He knew Ringo was dead his aim now fell on the cop.

He pulled the trigger but the cop was too quick and dove behind window ledge shielding him from view.

“He’s in cover. I’m leaving.”

“Rodger.” Alpha responded.

Across the street in the corridor outside room 17 A of the Schumacher Tenements Alpha produced a shotgun and fired a round into the lock on the Door of 17A. The cop wasn’t ready and was still turning when Alpha fired his first round which obliterated Mueller’s left hand.

The cop roared but was still fumbling for his pistol when the second Shotgun blast caught him in the chest. Alpha glanced over at Ringo who was still slightly in spasm after having his grey matter spread across the floor. He then looked at Mueller and his face dropped into a scowl. Alpha glanced across the street and saw Omega had left the Sniper perch. Then he felt the anger rise.

“Piece of shit cop.” He roared as he rushed the prone Mueller.

#

Alpha became aware again a few moments later and felt sickened at the mess he’d made of Mueller’s body. It was the loss of control he hated, he was supposed to be a professional but sometimes it just got away from him and he became what he knew was deep down.

A psychotic.

Only Omega could keep him in check and in times like these when he knew he was alone the beast would emerge.

“Alpha you need to leave. His emergency life support system is already reporting an officer down across the MSS net.”

“Confirmed.” Alpha said shakily as he took another glance at Mueller’s destroyed body.

4 hours ago.

“It couldn’t be avoided.” Omega explained calmly to the Contact via the Communications App.

“Yeah well now the MSS is going batshit all over Earth First. Fuck, killing a cop is not good hell we don’t even know if he’s dead.”

“He’s dead. So this is an operational security issue?”

“What the fuck does that even mean?”

“It means we need to cut out everyone who has knowledge of the plan that is no longer a necessity to its conclusion.”

“What are you saying? Kill Earth First members?”

“Yes. Right now they are liabilities.”

“Shit...” The contact whispered.

“Time is wasting, Earth needs this mission to be a success.”

“Aw fuck it. I’ll send a list of names.” The Contact said finally.

“Thank you.”

#

20 Minutes ago.

Omega and Alpha had split the list of nine names and were making their way neatly down through them. Alpha had one name left while Omega had two.

Omega was still stalking his penultimate quarry through an old garage complex that had been taken over by a Bƍsƍzoku Gang. Apparently Earth First had used the Bƍsƍzoku to do their heavy lifting in preparation for the job. This pleased Omega as it ensured even if the MSS caught up with anyone involved in the plot they would be unlikely to know much. That was even if the MSS knew enough to target the Bƍsƍzoku, odds were they were wasting their time with anyone with even the most tenuous connection to Earth First. It was a cellular organisational structure that ensured only a few people knew the entire picture. Still if the MSS were able to grab enough cell members they might be able to put together the plot. That’s why Alpha and Omega were making sure anyone who could be a liability wouldn’t be.

Omega had taken the more combat orientated missions as his replacements suited the role. He was built for speed, agility and most importantly accuracy. Alpha on the other hand could blend as his replacements were more normal apart from his red replacement eyes which necessitated the wearing of sunglasses.

That’s why Omega was stalking through the darkness of the garage silently dispatching gang members while Alpha was somewhere more public.

#

Alpha approached the entrance of the club and smiled at the bouncer who held out a hand.

“Woah there trench coat. We got a dress code.”

“I’m here for Slim Waylon. I’m a friend.”

“Really?” The bouncer sounded unconvinced.

“I understand you’re doing your job but if you keep me much longer you’ll find out what your balls taste like. I’m from the group.”

“So then you’ll know that loose lips sink...”

Alpha rolled his eyes. Omega was right on Mars Earth First was a secret club with passwords and no conviction.

“...Cannons.”

The bouncer smiled. “Ok you’re cool man. Just make sure you lay low in there, We don't need trouble, the MSS is going crazy. Some cop got himself killed.”

“Yeah I heard that.” Alpha said as he walked into the Pale Blue Dot.
Last edited by Bosch on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:43 am

Author’s note: Like I said above I find fight scenes hard to write but I gave it a shot. This is inspired by a couple of things but I guess primarily it’s the movie Collateral.

Chapter Four

Give me something to dance to

Detective David Kojima.

Kojima and Wilson had been making small talk at their table for about ten minutes when Slim Waylon moved from the bar and went to a booth or the far side of the VIP area. The VIP area was a room shaped like a bowl that was suspended over the main dance floor of the club below. The floor was transparent so the VIPs could look down on the dancers below. Kojima figured it was a metaphor for life.

Slim had been pushing at the bar to the trendy types that came up to him. He wasn’t to discrete either. Apparently Pale Blue Dot didn’t have a problem with drugs being sold right by the bar. Kojima figured they probably liked it, made the place edgy.

“He’s moved out of range Kojima I can’t piggy back on your signal into his system anymore you need to get closer.” Kim Rosen said over the communications app when Slim moved to the booth.

“We can’t just walk over there he’ll know we’re following him.” Detective Junior Grade Melanie Wilson said to Rosen over the Comms App.

“Well that’s why not everyone’s a cop Junior Grade Wilson, sometimes you need to get creative. The booth he’s in overlooks the VIP dance floor. Go cut a rug that should put you in range.”

Kojima sighed but he knew it was the only way.

“This is turning into make Kojima look like a fool day.”

“You can’t be that bad at dancing?”

“Just wait.” Rosen quipped over the Comms App.

The pair stood and walked toward the dance floor. Neither looked in the direction of Slim but Rosen was monitoring his position. The Bƍsƍzoku were spread around Slim’s booth, two were sitting with him while the other three were close by. All were keeping an eye on the crowd.

Under the strobe lights and in the midst of the electronic beat Kojima felt foolish. Yet Wilson seemed to be her element.

“Ok that’s close enough. It shouldn’t take much longer. I’ve nearly cracked the decryption. This guy has top of range neural augments. I mean way more expensive than he should have access to.”

Kojima watched Wilson drop into the music with ease while he nodded along to the music. “Just hurry up. This is ridiculous and the music is terrible.” Kojima muttered. “Can’t dance to this.”

“Why what do you dance to?” Wilson asked.

That was when the gun fire started.

Alpha.

Alpha entered the club and made a line straight for the VIP area.

Tiny, the big bouncer with the Mohawk, stopped Alpha in his tracks.

“Woah there pal VIP area up there no way...”

“I’ve explained to your friend outside I’m here to see Slim.”

Tiny eyed Alpha suspiciously and was about to speak.

“Cannons. It’s ridiculous now let me up.”

Tiny nodded accepting that Alpha was there on business.

Alpha walked up the staircase and activated the combat setting on his contacts. As he walked through the crowd they detected several weapons in the room belonging to Club Bouncers, The Bƍsƍzoku, Slim Waylon and a couple on the dance floor. He wondered for a second how the couple had gotten their weapons past security. The possibilities were they worked for Slim Waylon and the Bƍsƍzoku, were some kind of undercover bouncers, which seemed unlikely, or they were MSS. MSS weapons, like his own, were built with scramblers that made them hard to detect by commercial scanners. Alpha’s eyes though weren’t commercial, like his brother he was upgraded with Military standard Tech. All thanks to their benefactor.

The inclusion of the couple wasn’t a large problem all he had to do was ensure Slim Waylon died the rest was down to fate.

He walked across the dance floor and felt eyes fall on him. He was taller than most people in the place and the trench coat did make him stand out He was about twenty five feet away from the booth when the Bƍsƍzoku started to pay attention. At Twenty feet they were all paying attention. It didn’t matter He was close enough. He was on the dance floor and it wouldn’t be a clean shoot but he’d hit his target.

He activated the Nanofibre muscle Augmentations which bathed his body in a flash of pain. He then dropped his right hand to the machine pistol on his hip while he pushed a dancer aside with his left.

He raised the weapon and fired a burst of three rounds towards Slim Waylon.

The first two caught a woman in a white dress, instantly staining it red. The last round crashed into the table infront of Slim Waylon shattering the glasses and marring the perfect chrome of the table.

He then shifted his aim to one of the Bƍsƍzoku who was standing near Slim. All three rounds found their mark and the man tumbled backward before hitting the ground. He then fired another burst at Slim this time each round hit Slim in the chest, who looked shocked for a second before slumping behind the table and deeper into the booth.

The screaming started as the crowd reacted and dove to the floor. The Bƍsƍzoku too began to react by drawing their weapons. Alpha knew there were too many to take so he opened up with the pistol while calmly walking to the bar.

He felt an impact in his right bicep and knew he’d been hit. He assumed it was the dancing couple.

He threw himself over the bar and into cover.

Before reaching into his pocket.

Detective Junior Grade Melanie Wilson.

The second the gunfire started Wilson dove to the floor much like the rest of the club. She looked up and saw Kojima was still standing looking toward the gunfire. It was a smart move now he knew who the players were in the shootout because anyone not involved had dropped to the floor. She followed his eyes to the Tall man in the trench coat who was firing indiscriminately toward Slim Waylon.

“What the fuck? Are those shots?” Rosen screamed across the Comms App.

“We have at least six active shooters. We need Backup!” Wilson cried into the Comms App.

She looked up and saw Kojima Already had his pistol drawn and was firing at the man in the trench coat. She thought he’d hit the man’s arm.

Wilson went for her own gun and opened fire on the Bƍsƍzoku who were now taking aim at Kojima.

“MSS CEASE FIRE!” she yelled but her words were lost in the din of the Music and gunfire.

She watched as the trench coat tumbled over the bar and into cover but she couldn’t keep her eyes on him as she was too busy engaging the Bƍsƍzoku.

Detective David Kojima.

Kojima knew he was exposed but he needed to stop the assassin from killing Waylon and take him into custody. He could hear Wilson firing her pistol behind him and calling in backup which allowed him to focus on the Man who had just dived behind the bar. He had him tagged with his contacts which meant the man would be highlighted in red whenever Kojima got a direct line of sight.

He fired a few rounds towards the bar to keep the man’s head down as he approached. His muscle Augments were active and he was moving quickly through the VIP area pushing aside cowering dancers.

He was almost at the bar when a small black object arced through the air and clattered to the ground a few feet away.

Kojima didn’t have time to say anything instead he just reacted by quickly turning and running back towards Wilson who he tackled to the ground.

“Stay Do...”

His words were cut short by the thundering explosion.

Then it was just heat and noise.

#

He didn’t know how long he was out for but when he woke up he was no longer in the VIP area but on the Dance floor below the VIP area. Wilson was underneath him, unconscious but alive. He quickly patted her down but felt no bloody patches. It took him a second to understand why it was raining inside. The explosion had activated the Clubs sprinkler system.

“You two still alive?” Rosen asked over the Comms App.

“Yeah. We need medics here now though.” Kojima said.

Around him was a scene of utter chaos. The Trench coat wearing assassin had blown a hole in the floor of the VIP area sending the VIP bar and many of the booths crashing into the dance floor below. There were many dead strewn across the club and large shards of the VIP rooms floor lay across the dance floor. Despite the damage the music and what remained of the Club’s intricate light show remained. He reached for his weapon but the holster was empty, he must have lost it in the fall.

He tapped Wilson’s face gently.

“Wilson wake up.”

She stirred and eventually opened her eyes.

“You ok in there?”

“Yeah yeah. I’m fine.” She said as the grogginess fell from her voice.

Kojima glanced around the room and caught a flash of red. The Trench coat Assassin was still on his feet and engaging in a fight with what remained of the Bƍsƍzoku. Kojima looked for Slim Waylon but he wasn’t on the Dance floor. Kojima looked up to the VIP area and saw the highlighted green his contacts had marked Slim with. He was still slumped behind his booth where he had fallen after being shot.

“Wilson, Slim is still up there. You need to get up there and secure him.”

Wilson was looking less stunned and more aware.

“What about you?”

“I’ll take the trench coat asshole.”

Kojima pulled a small cylinder off his belt and flicked his wrist. The cylinder extended into a baton. He then stood and raced toward The Assassin and the Bƍsƍzoku.

Alpha

The Shootout had not gone well, he hadn’t counted on the MSS being on the scene. He was now convicted the dancing couple were in fact MSS and the man in the grey suit had tagged him in the arm. Thanks to the neural Augments though he didn’t feel pain but was aware he’d been hit in his right Bicep.

The explosive he’d deployed wasn’t supposed to send the entire VIP area crashing into the Dance floor below but he chalked that up to a structural weakness. He was relatively sure Slim was dead or in the process of dying but he needed to confirm the kill before he could leave.

The bar took the brunt of the explosion but he was still unconscious for a few seconds after the fall from the VIP section to the dance floor. Like Kojima his gun was lost amongst the rubble but he had a secondary weapon which was a 10mm pistol.

He rolled off his back and saw a Bƍsƍzoku struggling to regain his footing, Alpha fired two rounds into the man’s face.

Alpha didn’t remain standing for long though as a well placed sweep knocked his legs from under him and he smashed his head on the dance floor and the broken glass strewn above it. He felt someone leap on his back and drive a fist into the back of his skull. Alpha knew a few more of those and he’d be dead. His assailant had favoured getting the strike in early though at the cost of a decent footing. Alpha used his strong Augmented muscles to roll on to his back and get his arms up in a block. His attacker was a young Bƍsƍzoku wearing a leather motorcycle jacket. The young man raised his fist but Alpha easily batted the punch away before delivering a punishing blow the young man’s ribcage.

He felt a rib crack and Alpha thought the bone hardening procedure he underwent was worth the pain. The young man roared with pain and dropped his hands to his side. With his opponent’s guard down Alpha reached up and grabbed the man’s throat. He closed his fist and crushed the man’s wind pipe. He thought it felt like breaking an egg.

An explosion of blood erupted out of the man’s chest and Alpha realised he was under fire. He pushed the man off him and rolled to his right and to his pistol. He retrieved his weapon and returned fire to the Bouncer who had opened fire. His shots were more accurate than his opponents.

He got to his feet but he was only standing for a few seconds before his right knee was struck violently dropping him to his knees.

Alpha felt fingers slip into his hair and jerk his head back. He looked up in time to seem a man in grey suit bring a baton down into his face.

The man was merciless and landed three strikes before Alpha could react. He was in weakened position but he was still able a guard to his face and raise the gun toward his attacker. The baton knocked the weapon from his right hand but with his left he reached up and grabbed the man in the grey suit. Using his augmented strength he pushed himself up and drove his head into the attackers chin. He rolled away while his attacker stumbled backwards.

Kojima was gone and Wilson had a job to do, She got her feet and glanced at the ground around her. A few feet away she noticed her pistol glinting in the rubble. She grabbed the weapon and ran toward the VIP area staircase. A crowd of survivors were thronging toward the exit and she saw Tiny battle his way toward the Dance floor. Wilson found herself respecting the large bouncer as most people would have fled.

She ducked out of the crowd and bounced up the stairs two at a time to the VIP area, the place was just a gaping hole in the ground. On the far side of the room she could see the booth where Slim was slumped but to get there she’d have to clear nearly fifteen feet of nothing but air.

She activated her muscle implants and holstered her pistol. She limbered up and got ready for her dash.

“You can’t be serious.” Kim said over the Comms App.

“It’s the only way. He’s bleeding out or is dead already.”

“There’s no way even with...” But Kim’s words didn’t matter. Wilson was already running.

She pushed off the ground with her augmented legs and leapt into the air with the form of an out of practice long jumper.

She crashed against the floor and grabbed desperately for something to hold on to while her legs swung wildly beneath her. She couldn’t find purchase on the floor because of the dirt, sprinkler water, broken glass, spilt drinks and Silm’s blood. Suddenly she felt a carbon nanofibre hand grip her own. She looked up and into the face of Slim Waylon.

“H-H- Help me.” He moaned.

She pulled herself up using his arm and immediately got to work. She ripped open Slim’s blood soaked shirt and inspected the damage.

“Shit Rosen he’s in a bad way here. Multiple gun shot wounds. He’s got an Emergency Medical Augment but it’s overwhelmed.”

She pulled off her own suit Jacket and held it to the wounds.

“He needs an Evac now.”

“Working on it. SWAT is on the way.”
“He doesn’t need a SWAT team he needs an emergency room. We’re going to lose him.”

“There’s no way EMTs are going in there before SWAT has cleared the area. You need to get him to the street.”

Wilson groaned with frustration before she detected something from the corner of her eye.

It was a Bƍsƍzoku who looked as shocked to see her as she was him. He was carrying a sawn off shotgun and they both raised their weapons at the same time but Wilson’s draw was quicker thanks to her smaller gun. She sent two rounds into the man and he staggered backwards and fell into the hole.

He didn’t scream. Wilson guessed he must have landed on the sound system because the music abruptly ended and she was thankful now she could at least hear herself think.

Detective David Kojima.

Kojima held the baton eying the Trench coat assassin who’s red eyes stared back at him. At least one did. The other was on the gun on the floor. A crash in the distance ended the musical accompaniment to the fight.

“Monocular Vision neat trick. You show it to Mueller before you killed him?”

The trench coat didn’t say anything.

“You wanna give me your name before I arrest you?”

“This won’t end with an arr...”

The trench coat dove for the gun mid sentence but Kojima was too fast, he threw the baton through the air and it struck the man directly on the nose momentarily knocking him back a few feet. Kojima threw himself on top of the 10mm Pistol and rolled onto his back. The trench coat was a few steps away Kojima raised the weapon and fired.

Four direct hits to the chest but it didn’t stop the man. He kicked the gun from Kojima’s hands and tried to strike the prone cop with his heel. Kojima caught the foot and pushed forwards sending the man to the floor. Kojima had no idea how the trench coat Assassin was still fighting after being shot four times at almost point blank range. He figured it must a pain dampening Augment. The pain Aug wouldn’t stop the blood flowing out of the assassin though and already Kojima could see the man was slowing.

Kojima got to his feet and the assassin slowly stood.

“You were pretty good with the baton.”

“Hanbƍjutsu” Kojima said by way of explanation. “Why are you here?”

“Haves and Have nots. Earth is dying while you all go to places like this. Where’s the justice?”

“What’s happening? What did Ringo know? Why kill Mueller?”

The Trenchcoat shrugged and slowly bent to the floor. He lifted a shard of glass.

“Put that down now you’re under arrest this is over.”

“Over? It’s only just begun.”

He then plunged the glass deep into his neck and tore out his own throat.

Kojima roared and ran to the man’s side.

“Fuck! Kim the suspect just killed himself!”

“Ok stay calm Kojima you’re going to have to get your hands dirty. Do you have a knife?” Kim Rosen said over the Comms App.

“What?”

“You need to remove his neural implants before his heart stops if you don’t they’ll erase. Do you have a knife?”

Kojima lifted a shard of glass.

“Close enough.” He muttered before getting to his grizzly work.

Alpha

He plunged the glass into his throat and felt nothing. The pain aug was worth the cash, when he died the Neural implants would delete all the files he had on Earth First. Thus keeping the information out of the hands of the MMS.

He took a long look at Kojima and used his Augmented eyes to send a quick mail to his Brother Omega.

The message was simple.

He’s the one.

It was the last action Alpha would ever take.

Wilson had a plan but she knew it was a bad one.

She needed to get Slim safely out of the Building and to medical help but that meant dropping down through the hole in the floor to the ground below. A fall she was lucky to survive the first time.

This time she needed to get a wounded man out before he died so taking a fall was out. The Booth was beside a Window that looked across Kaiser City. She knew getting ut through the window was the only way to evacuate Slim in time but the glass was toughened. She lifted her pistol and emptied the clip into the window, she then lifted Slim’s gun and did the same before finally picking up the shotgun from the Bƍsƍzoku she had killed. The toughened glass was a mess of flattened bullets but it was finally starting to crack. She was able to smash out the rest of the glass using the butt of the shotgun. The wind howled though the newly created hole and Wilson had the shout to be heard.

“Ok Rosen I’ve got an open window here. Get something to pick us up.”

“Good Job Wilson I’m sending a SWAT VTOL there now. The rest are about about to make their entry. Below you.”

Wilson hefted Slim onto his feet and dragged him to the broken window, even with muscle augs it was a struggle. In the distance she could see the VTOL making its way towards her. Soon a pair of strong SWAT officers were pulling Slim onboard along with Wilson.

“Hospital now.” She called into the pilot who nodded and tore across the Kaiser skyline.

Detective David Kojima.

It was grisly work but Kojima had removed the implant from Alpha’s skull. He then connected it to his data square and began transmitting it to Rosen.

“Good work Kojima. I’ll get to work salvaging what I can.”

“Great I think you’ll have to come this going to be a clusterfuck.”

“Drop the weapon and step away from him!” Someone shouted from behind him. Kojima complied and raise his hands. Seconds later he was on his front get cuffs slapped on his wrists.

Once he was pulled back onto his feet he found himself looking SWAT Captain Renault. She shook her head and lowered the machine gun she had trained on Kojima.

“He’s MSS cut him lose.”

Kojima’s hand were freed by one of the SWAT officers.

“You got a lot of questions to answer Kojima.” She said as she led him out of the destroyed club.

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!