Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Amber Library

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Which Signature do you like better?

25%
75%

Total votes : 20

The Amber Library

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:23 pm

The room was a large, wide area with ceilings that could have reached twenty feet in height. Like most other things in the room, the space was painted mostly white. A white projection screen dropped down from the ceiling. White chairs seated the multitude of people that sat to watch the presentation. A white suited man worked the white projector, playing from a white control room. The crisp, clean feeling was everywhere- as well as the seamless merging of all the shapes and objects amidst the white. The murmurs of the crowd settled down, as the lights dimmed, and the projector screen painted a logo in the center of the screen.

Seconds later, a droning voice could be heard from the white speakers that dotted the ceiling.

"Hello, prospective employee! And welcome, to the Amber Library. We've reviewed your job application here, and we think you have what it takes to work alongside us in our journey for knowledge. I'm sure you already know what we do here at the Amber Library, which is to learn, observe, and record. You will take part in this era, holding the torch that will shed light on our once-murky history."

The logo was cut abruptly from the screen, replaced by a noticably older film. Several men clad in lab coats were talking animatedly, standing in front of a large and bulky frame. One man nodded, turning over and pressing several buttons on a dash board. The film cut to black.

"One century years ago, researchers finally met the requirements needed to take a trip back in time. The attempt was almost disastrous, and nearly closed down the program- but the head researcher, the man who would become the Head Librarian continued the project. With ten years, he has created this: An entire city of knowledge, concrete knowledge fresh from the past itself. And now, you are going to be part of it. You are going to make history."

"So welcome, Sir or Madame. Welcome to the Amber Library."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Arke
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Re: The Amber Library

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:43 pm

The screen flickered to life, filling the darkness with a white backround that illuminated the dark room. Uninhabited, the light revealed a crisp, clean living space. It had a bed, a desk, a shelf. It had books, lamps, trash. What didn't change, was the overall whiteness. The sterile feeling of living in a hospital. Unbidden, black words formed in the center of the computer screen that scoured the dark room with artificial light.

YOU HAVE ONE NEW MESSAGE

Without so much as a pause, the letters flickered out. The screen flashed once, before becoming corrupt- static replacing the blank white backround. Black, white, and all the shades in between blinked chaotically, as the screen slowly came into focus of a black square. A red dot in the upper right hand corner, with the letters "R", "E", and "C" following it.

BUFFERING. PLEASE WAIT.

A stream of white numbers are pounded out in rapid succession. And the video begins to play. The black square focused slightly, revealing a heavily shadowed figure. He spoke into the camera with a slight stutter, tight tension, and with a voice that had been artificially morphed.

"We... We have this unimaginable power. The power t-to go back. Go back and right the wrongs we have made. They won't do it. These people, the p-people who claim nonsense that they're only looking out for us, think they can fool us. They're wrong. With this, all we c-can do is good! We can change history. Starting now. Just because THEY are too afraid to change, doesn't mean WE aren't. Humanity.. Humanity doesn't progress if we're scared like goddamn rabbits. We must take the initiative. The first step.

We must change the wor-"

CONNECTION INTERRUPTED.

The man froze, his posture nervous as the screen began to fill with the chaotic buzz of static once more. And then, wiped clean with a wash of white, illuminating a crisp, clean living space.

In the distant future, Time Travel becomes a reality- but not without certain implications. What happens in the base will influence the future. Shake it hard enough, and you'll have a different outcome. Therefore, the responsibility is placed onto one organization, on a distant island in a remote area of the world.

The Amber Library.

Utilizing this amazing technology, the Library uses it to bring knowledge to the people- by going back in time and confirming what happened, and what didn't. Withholding nothing, they release everything they discover to the people, bringing a sense of security to history.

However, some believe they are being too passive. With the power to travel back in time, comes a significant amount of danger. Those who would use it for personal, deluded, or simply deranged reasons. This era of new knowledge will not be without a little danger. And it doesn't matter what role you play in the scheme of things.

• This Roleplay will have lots of information, since it pertains to the concept of Time Travel. This is not very-rookie friendly.
  • This is just an interest check. The Roleplay is still in development. If you would like, I will contact you when the Roleplay is finished- just leave a note.
  • Though I do have a story set in mind, this will be character driven- It's up to you to see where the plot goes from the very start.
  • Above all else, Feel free to leave ideas, comments, criticism!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Arke
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pearls on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:03 pm

This sounds like something that I would enjoying being part of. I'd love to be contacted when the roleplay is finished, if that's all right. :)

Pearls
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Of course, I'll certainly contact you once the RP is finished and ready to go!

Arke
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Eh, too much white. Why not call it the Emerald Library and everything is black?

Heh, just joking.

Gotta love that intro, can't wait to see the full thing.

That said, you can put me on the list of people to contact.

Side Note: I get kind of an Inception vibe, like the plot will be incredibly deep.
Self Proclaimed, Master Realm Weaver: need help creating a RP? PM me!

Vivid-Minds; a society of sophisticated RPers and Roleplays. Join us?

...LIVE in your world, ROLEPLAY in mine...

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Yeah, you knew this already, but keep me updated on your progress. I'm far too cowardly to run a plot with time-travel involved, but I'd love to be in one! (^_^)
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:11 pm

I'll throw my hat into this ring.

As said, I have an interested, and look forward to the opportunity to bring my over-the-top antics to the past...
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Talisman
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Awesome, I'll contact you guys when the RP is done.

Arke
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:31 am

Could you pm me too please - this looks intriguing.

Alan23
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cienpher on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:49 am

This sounds very interesting... please contact me when it is complete as well ^^
~Cienpher~ GM of "That's Not an Omelette"

Cienpher
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Cool! I'll let you guys know when it's finished :)

Arke
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittlePocketz on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Slap me and call me a dirty little-! Oops...wrong place. Either way. Count me in.

LittlePocketz
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:27 pm

I'm in, too, Shiva :D

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Gotcha, you guys will be PM'd when the RP is finished!

Arke
Member for 15 years

Voting time!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Hey guys. Just popping it to let you all know this idea ain't dead. Still working hard on it.

How about a little vote? I've created two little signatures for the RP, but I'm only going to be using one. Which do you guys like more? Vote above in the poll area!

ImageImage

Thanks to Smitty and Flyguy for help in the image searches!

Arke
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Has to be the fellow in the armor.

I am a bit of an action freak afterall... And a fine connoisseur of badassry.

Talisman
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cienpher on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:56 pm

I personally felt that the one on the left seems more fitting of the name and the roleplay itself. It has that slight feeling of mystery with a nuance of complexity if that made any sense. It's early in the morning.

Cienpher
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CortexiphanGirl on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:02 pm

I prefer the lady with the monocle! And I'd love to be contacted when this RP is ready :) Great work so far -- I'm totally blown away!

CortexiphanGirl
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Well... I totally feel like I'm in the minority.

To be quite honest though, I see how the lady in the glasses fits the title "The Amber Library" better than the armored fellow. But I'm ridiculous and stubborn like that, I still love the armored fellow looking all moody and badass.

For some reason however, the word Library, the armored guy, and the red haze in the background is totally giving me visions of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451's "firefighters"... You know, the ones who set fires... On books. Ah, you see where I'm going with this.

Still can't wait to get into this one!

Talisman
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Sure thing Lilaiy, I'm glad you're interested.

Ahh, Ray Bradbury. Mildred ;_; I liked Fahrenheit, did you know they made a video game on it? Not quite as good as the book but it's interesting at best. I do see what you mean when you mention the backround of the Soldier Signature, which is quite interesting seeing as I didn't have that in mind when I made it.

Once again guys, sorry for the long wait- but hopefully I'll have a Character Sheet soon for you guys to preview and maybe get a head start on your characters!

Arke
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!