Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Dystopia; --IC

a topic in Futuristic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Dystopia; --IC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Penelopy on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:09 am

||||||||||||

The aftermath of war is a war within itself

The sky above was a dim purple-gray haze that gave everyone on the streets the pallor of the dead. Even the buildings that had once seemed to glitter were now dulled. The clouds blended into the tops of the buildings, a full gray as if it were about to rain.

For those citizens of Genesis who had lived before the war, memories of what they could no longer have haunted them, yet somehow they knew there was no going back. If you thought about it, it was like having more and less at the same time; like they had had to make a sacrifice somewhere along the line that they were only now vaguely aware of.

Alexandria was one of those people. Though she was barely eight when the war started, she was old enough to miss the good things in life. Of course they still had alcohol, though the variety was lacking as with most sweets and other superfluous things. Television still existed, but it was like being back in the days where there was only one channel—and it didn’t play cartoons or Prime time shows. It was mostly news-like broadcasts of what the council was working on to improve daily life in the city. Needless to say, Lex didn’t care for it at all.

Augustus on the other hand seemed to watch it whenever he was home. She didn’t understand it. He pretty much worked side by side with the Council, what information could he possibly gain from the TV that he wasn’t already familiar with? Then again, it was like the politicians who watched c-span, before the war—pointless even then, in Lex’s opinion.

Speaking of Augustus

Lex stood in the middle of the small apartment’s even smaller kitchen in her mother’s old pajamas. She and her brother had been orphaned by the war, and there were no name-brand clothing stores that she could buy her clothes from as she grew and because of that she had had to wear her mother’s old things. At least she had learned to sew. On another bright side they hadn’t been made homeless. This was the same two bedroom apartment they had lived in before with their parents. Some of the people that lived in Genesis now weren’t as lucky. Some had come from other states or areas close to the city after hearing that it was being rebuilt and inhabitable.

She walked the length of the kitchen in no more than four steps and headed to Augustus’ room. “Hey. Hey you.” She said softly sitting on the edge of his bed and shaking him a bit. “I’m not meant to be taking care of you big brother.” He wasn’t asleep, she could tell, but for some reason he wouldn’t open his eyes. He did let out a muffled grunt that she figured was intended to be a laugh.

“I made you dinner last night, you aren’t allowed to complain” he answered. Lex was poking him while he talked and he tried to bat her hand away, lazily. She frowned.

“Yeah, and I washed the dishes.” She stood up and headed for the door. “You’re now one behind.” Yes, she was keeping track. Why? Lex believed that Auggie, being the older of the two, was supposed to be the responsible one. Augustus believed that Lex, being of the fairer sex, should be the one taking care of him. They compromised by taking turns doing things for each other and Lex wasn’t backing down.

Lex made her way across the hall to her room. There wasn’t much to it, but it still found a way to feel cramped. She couldn’t believe both she and Augustus used to share this room. She pulled out a dark blue wrap dress and a pale pink sweater from her closet. She changed quickly and went back to her brother’s room. She knocked on the door frame to get his attention. He was up now but sitting on the edge of his bed, with what looked like an important packet of papers in a blue folder. “I’m heading to the school now.” She said raising her voice so he could hear over his own thoughts.

“If you wait, I can drive you.” He offered looking up from his papers to see Lex now leaning on his door frame.

Lex shook her head, “No, I’ll take the bus.”

“You sure? I’ll only be fifteen minutes tops.”

“Mm,” she hesitated only a moment. “No, it’s fine. You’d be taking an unnecessary detour to drop me off anyways.” She smiled, stood up straight then turned to walk out of the house. “I’ll see you later.” She picked up her backpack filled with ungraded tests and other various supplies and headed out the door.

The Bus system was another thing the Council had recovered and altered. Busses and cars no longer ran on petrol, but on electricity. The school, where Lex worked was an old Boarding school building that the Council had redone to fit more classrooms instead of sleeping quarters. It was a good size for the amount of kids at the moment, but they may have need of a new building soon, though they were short staffed; even most of the Council managed to teach a few classes at the college.

Lex taught a group of high school aged kids, most of who were just being born when the war started. Her lessons consisted of history—things about the world before and during the war. She was a big advocate of teaching about it in order to prevent it from happening again.

Of course History wasn’t the only thing she taught. The Council was big on teaching kids Science and Math early on; it was as if they wanted more workers in their field. Lex couldn’t really complain though, she had no doubt they’d all be dead if it wasn’t for them. Or at least she would: Lex did not do out doors. She’d never been camping and didn’t ever plan out it either. Though she had been a Girl Scout, she’d skipped out on the camping trip they annually held.

|||||||||||||

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Penelopy
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!