Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Roleplay Genre Concept: Looking for Input

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Roleplay Genre Concept: Looking for Input

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby Juvenile-River on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:49 pm

I've had this idea for a new way of doing roleplays. Perhaps someone has tried something similar before, but I've never seen it attempted. Basically, my idea is to merge roleplay with real life, using Google Maps as a tool. Google maps would provide a real environment, complete with a street view, information on nearby businesses and landmarks, and estimates on time of arrival between two points. I'm working out the kinks of how this might work, but I have a few examples of roleplays that could use this type of method.

1. Zombie survival RP. Characters choose a starting point in the real world and freely move from there. They might find a local business that carries something they need, such as a gun store or a grocer, and choose to explore it. When a destination is selected, Google Maps is consulted for estimated time of arrival by foot (or car, if they have a working vehicle), and time passes naturally this way. Players would manage their characters' needs and their limited supplies in order to survive. Population estimates would be used to determine chances of running into zombies, as well as how big their groups may be.

2. Detective searching for mysterious killer. Think something similar to Death Note, with one player taking the role of a killer, and the others using provided clues to try to catch this killer. The detectives can use Google Maps to test alibis, choose locations to investigate, and coordinate efforts to find their mysterious killer.

For an example of how a turn might go, a player might choose a destination to travel to. That destination takes 20 minutes to drive to. The current time in the RP is 12:15pm, so that character's actions would be determined up to 12:35pm, unless he crosses paths with another character within that time period or an event takes place that interrupts the character's travel. Otherwise, that player must allow other players a chance to catch up in the timeline before posting again. The character may eat a candy bar in their inventory to satisfy their hunger, editing their profile to reflect the change in their inventory. Or they may find something useful and pick it up, adding it to their character's inventory in their profile.

Do you guys think this kind of concept could work? Any potential problems to consider or suggestions?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

Juvenile-River
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Roleplay Genre Concept: Looking for Input

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby HelplessBystander on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:08 am

So...basically a tRPG session except with Google Maps. It's not exactly breaking new grounds here, and there's specific websites where you can upload maps and pin locations if that's what you want. I personally don't really see this becoming mainstream on this site since I personally feel like cross-site adventures are troublesome and I can't really see what makes this a 'roleplay genre'. Rather than say 'genre' I personally it's just another management system for RPing, and that's about it.

Of course, if that's not what you meant, then please elaborate.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

HelplessBystander
Member for 7 years
Friendly Beginnings Author Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!