Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Viability of Applications

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Re: The Viability of Applications

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 am

From my perspective as a player;

My approach for almost any applications consist out of "What archetype/skillset could compliment the current cast" and then "Which of these options do I feel like playing?" Before I start on a sheet, I create a quick (mental) bullet-list of what is at the core of a character anyway, so the application is just making prose outta that.

There's only one difference to competition and that is that I delay my brainstorm a little. It only takes a few days to figure out a few applicants that will get the spot for sure, simply by virtue of having no competitors. These people and the GM character, are now the cast I adjust to. Other than that short waiting period... It changes absolutely nothing.

SpiritDancer wrote:
Do you find that this method is useful and successful, or does it add a lot more work to the character creation process than what is necessary?

I honestly think it's kind of dumb. I don't mind participating in it because, as mentioned beforehand, it changes little to nothing about my process. However, if I were GM'ing... I wouldn't accept characters I think don't fit the world or think are poorly written anyway, regardless of whether I made players compete for spots or not. As long as a certain threshold is met, it really becomes more about staying power than anything for a roleplay to be fun and successful and how good you are at writing a pitch isn't an indicator for staying power.

Then again, I'm also not the kind of person that builds RP's around specific roles. 'cause if you base your shit around roles, soon as a person drops, you have a problem you need to fix. If every character is easily replaceable, you don't. That doesn't mean player characters aren't integral to the plot, but their impact is determined more by their actions than the part they are a princess or whatever.

So. Yeah.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: The Viability of Applications

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Andreis on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:22 pm

As is evidenced by lack of willingness to read every post here - I am a personal advocate for succinct descriptors.

I GM rules heavy and rules lite Tabletop as well as Play-by-post RPGs and it has been my general experience that giving someone an application beyond the necessary details of the character provides no better insight into how suited they are for the role-play than their interest in the first place.

If you are considering "fit" in the first place, then it is up to you, having the standards, to do the hard work: the research. The only time that I think essays are a reasonable expectation is when there are thousands of dollars of value at stake.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Andreis
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Donated! Contributor Beta Tester World Builder Inspiration Group Theory Person of Interest Lifegiver

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!