Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat ā€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A Particular Craving

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

A Particular Craving

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Awesome on Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:56 am

Whaddup doh~

Haven't been on here in a million years. Felt like it sidetracked me from the stories I wanted to pen on my own but I got a serious problem.

None of the ones I'm doing-or have full ideas for-involve firearms.

Have a big love of writing scenes with modern firearms and tactics but haven't been able to since back when I did some RWBY RPG site back in high school some 10-or-so years ago and I've been really wanting to do something involving them lately in writing or sketching.
Does anybody on here have any interest in doing something like that? I honestly don't even sweat it if you flake as long as we get deep enough to run through at least one instance of combat. Hell, I don't even care if my character's the only one with a rifle. We can do happy, sad, funny, serious, anything you like.

----------

I'm fine with any setting with a technological level of the 80's on. I have one kinda-sorta barebones idea for a sci-fi space adventure but I'm fine with:

-Post apocalypse/Societal collapse
-Military
-Cyberpunk
-Sci-fi
-Superhero
-Fantasy
-Comedy
-Romance

I'm pretty chill for a roleplayer and am okay with just about anything that isn't smut of some kind.
I just need some help coming up with a general plot idea.

-----------

If you're sold, great! Post here!

If you're one of those people that are a little more picky about who you trust to roleplay with then I guess I'll give you a little about my background.

I'm prior service active Marines. That alone may not mean shit (trust me) but I'm also a certified marksmanship instructor, passively research the topic of firearms handling and ownership for fun, and run drills on my own at a private range way less often than I should but quite a bit more often than most other practicing civilians do anyway. Solid knowledge of manufacturers, calibers, ballistics, and mechanics. Heavy interest in martial history and particularly historical arms and armor in certain periods of primarily the Western world back to antiquity with a heavy emphasis on men-at-arms of the medieval period as a whole.

If you're worried about writing quality, just say so. I may have not been active on here for the last five-ish years but I've been getting plenty of practice in my spare time through stabs at my own stories, or writing in-character D&D session recaps, and can produce a sample of recent work if asked. I like to at least believe I'm not compleeeeeetely ass at it.

'preciate the interest this gets...if there is any. :')
Yyyyyeeeaaaaaah right, snake!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Captain Awesome
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: A Particular Craving

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Captain Awesome on Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:32 pm

Alright, my intention was to grab somebody/people and then work out a more tailored story idea with them for the lot of us, but I suppose Iā€™ll have to go the route others are taking and toss out the few ideas I can whip up.

They're a little undercooked, but that doesn't mean they can't be worked with, and Iā€™m still down for other ideas or alterations anyway.

ā€¢A High Fantasy Space Odyssey.
A male human of professional warrior|military|security background has said goodbye to the love of his life and its entire purpose to embark upon a far-flung endeavor, intended to take him far across the galaxy for a currently undetermined cause-discovery|adventure|war with the Trojans. (Perhaps through a wormhole or using a new form of FTL travel?)
Though the crew of the ship were also intended to return from their journey within a few weeks (or perhaps a couple months?), something went horribly wrong to render the mission a wash and utter failure, leaving most-if not all-of the crew deceased or separatedā€¦except for our subject. Though it would be entirely illogical to believe it to be even remotely possible, our story revolves around the miniscule remnants of the crew and/or the friends/enemies they make along the way doing their damnedest to try and make it back home for their own individually inspired reasons. Why? Because there's nothing else worth living for other than what, or whom, theyā€™ve left behind.

-Itā€™s space Marines and aliens, hostile RCS drones, selector switches set to semi and bolt releases slapped on gauss rifles, deep space ports passed through and difficult jobs taken from strangers, and at the end of the day some heartfelt discussions over the sound of someoneā€™s gentle guitar playing about what was probably lost forever or what will definitely be recovered.

ā€¢A Dystopian Cyberpunk (very original-I know).
Far into the future, in a hellscape of our own making, a crew of misfits and strangers (or perhaps some acquaintances?) are assembled for a job. The danger is certain and the suck is real, but what could possibly draw them to something so treacherous and life-threatening? Vibrant wealth? The allure of influence and professional networking? Honestly, itā€™s just for the chump-change for tonight's pizza and drink tab. That's life for you.

-A little more light hearted, though still black-pilled story. Comedy is encouraged among mercenary type characters of all backgrounds but good times are not promised. Combat oriented characters are not a requirement but they should have some kind of means of team support.

ā€¢Twilight 2000.
A loose homebrew story idea Iā€™ve been spitballing since the 4th Ed. of Twilight 2000 came out. Haven't played it yet, but the subject material makes for a great story base. In a universe where the Soviet Union never fell, the year is 2005 and the temporary occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan by the United States Armed Forces are in full swing. Saddam is in DoD custody, Fallujah has been retaken, NATO has assumed control of ISAF in Afghanistan, and, though President Karzai has been the first democratically elected official of Afghanistan in decades-with the new Iraqi election fast approaching, the wider region is still in great turmoil. Bin Laden has recently released another recording, patrols continue to find as many IEDā€™s as they do poor farmers paid by the insurgency to take pop-shots at them, beheadings are still regularly showing up on Live Leak, and it still doesn't seem as if there is an end to it all in sight.
Our story follows a detachment of Marine Infantry|Special Forces(|Maybe POGs for whatever BS reason?) deployed to Afghanistan and scheduled for an op which should see them patrolling on foot to the local village to meet and negotiate with tribal eldersā€¦only something else draws their attention into the surrounding hills. Through the decision to potentially take the fight to the insurgents who have been harassing the men all deployment, the detachment stumbles onto something that they were never intended to find: A full squad of Soviet VDVā€¦

-It's 20ā€™ M16A4ā€™s with carry handles. It's Protec bump helmets with NVG mounts and it's quad rail-mounted PEQ-2's. It's early GWOT vibes, and we're all just teenage dirtbags, baby. Character roles aren't the same between squad proficiency levels but they should fall under the standard, general enlisted Marine Corps squad/fireteam structure. Though this one's a little more grounded, don't worry too much about your own subject knowledge, as I can offer the basic knowledge dumps we'd need to get by relatively well enough.

ā€¢An Incredibly Far-Fetched Imperial Monarchist Adventure (because how can you not on a roleplay site?).
Such a blessing it is to live in The Empire, where the lawns are green, the water is clean, and hardshipā€™s only but a bad dream. But what about fun? Surely nobody could stick it out in a boring place like this without going mad! The Imperial guardsman assigned to the station of being the Prince|Princessā€™s aid and personal protection detail has had all the excitement in life and is yet still barely older than the one he protects! Oh what it must have been like to experience such rough and scary jobs as the ones heā€™s workedā€¦if only there were a way toā€¦say, take advantage of oneā€™s social status, position, and personal relationship with him to shamelessly coerce him into sneaking out and showing that member of the royal family what it means to be a security contractor, officer of the law, or even a proper soldier in the worst, most dangerous parts of town. If only indeedā€¦

-Oh lord, it's practically a buddy-cop comedy. This one is a little more intimate, being a 1x1 story but it works for either a friendly bromance or actual romance. Either way, the objective of the story is not to put out a believable tale of political strife and scandal, itā€™s to just have fun with it. We can touch on classism and give the prince/princess a great bit of character development if it comes about but Iā€™m just setting out to put a smile on our faces in this one. Technological time-frame can be anywhere from the 90ā€™s to the near-ish future.

ā€¢Mech Pilot/Combat Vehicle Crew Adventure.

-Heh heh...I honestly have nothing for this. XD
But I'd be down for exploring something like this too. 40mm auto cannons, high velocity 105mm main guns and HEAT shells; hatches, scanners, laser ring gyro-stablized chassis's, multifunctional displays, high-magnification optics, ordnance deployment radio call-outs, and the invigorating sound of your loader going from a hyped "Gun ready!" to an over-exerted and exhausted "UUUUUP!!"
It scratches that modern/future itch and, hell, it has just enough to do with mechanical/electrical systems to let me pretend, for just a sweet little bit, that I'm not a complete dumbass lmao.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Captain Awesome
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!