Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Rise Above (Int. Check / Mature Content)

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Rise Above (Int. Check / Mature Content)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OlosThe20th on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:40 am

heres a cool picture to catch your attention AND spark your imagination!! woah! pixels!
check below for a cool little intro to the mines.

RISE ABOVE
(another fantasy RP)

Josho, Caldyre 2104

"Wakey wakey!" the captain of the ship shouted. No one had said a word for a long time in fear of the ship capsizing in the storm. Aside from the occasional cough, the loud creaks of the ship, and the fury of the storm outside, the captain was the first to utter a word. His shaved head was poking out from the top of the hatch. "Sorry to disturb meditation hour, but I, the glorious Captain Ringo, have a very special announcement for you!" he spoke with delight.

Captain Ringo clearly enjoyed his job. Even though he spoke so cheerfully, he was an evil man. Contrary to the strict protocols which stated he couldn't harm any of the slaves, he occasionally broke it and passed it off as 'preventing escapes'. The Captain tossed a man overboard while chained to a rock; the victim wouldn't stop begging to be let loose. During another instance, someone from the crew, a girl, was trying to release the slaves when she was caught. Her hands were chopped off in front of the slaves by the ship-master himself, who claimed to be hurt by her betrayal. The girl was a relative of some sort, but she was never seen again.

"As much as I and my crew have enjoyed your company~you ungrateful, hungry bastards~today is the day that you finally get to be free." Ringo chimed, his mouth breaking into a wide smile. He waited for a response, initially, but went on when none come. "So welcome to Josho, where you will be free to work until you fucking die!" the slaver sang, "so say farewell to whatever hope you maggots clung to, because you're never escaping here! Nope! No chance whatever!" The slaver climbed down a rope ladder attached to the hatch's hinges, but halfways he jumped down to the floor. Several of the slaves' eyes hatefully burned into him as he casually approached the iron bars imprisoning them. Had it not been there, he would would almost certainly been mauled to death. Another form of protection ensured his safety: the special bands which were locked onto the slaves arms and prevented any use of magical abilities.

"Any moment, the big doors above you are going to open and a group of my pals are going to fetch you from my care. You're all leaving my vessel to lead the charge into a new life, and none of you are saying good-bye!" the captain lamented. He looked away and feigned sorrow. "But guess what?" he suddenly asked vigorously, whipping his face toward the slaves. "I only gouged out a total of two eyes from your lot for looking away when I talked!"

Captain Ringo laundered back to the ladder. He placed a foot on one of its rungs before he turned back to the slaves. "And as always, safe journey, friends!" he bowed slowly and put a hand over his heart. "I'll forever cherish the memories we made during our journey together.." Then suddenly, he broke into a wicked laugh. "Fucking maggots! This is where hell truly begins." The Captain climbed back up through the hatch.

~~~~~~~~~~

The howling, powerful winds sent white-capped waves crashing against the hulls of the ships harbouring in Josho's northern ports. Lightning flashes consistently lit the up the ominous, wooden ships fasted to the docks. There were no distinctive markings aside from the words "Sylphid Co." that were stitched onto the ships' masts and printed on the side of their hulls.

A tall woman silently observed a line of chained slaves ambling past her. "Anyone caught bogging the line will be killed." her booming voice announced. The hooded, leather coat she wore covered her from the cold, wet rain. It was buttoned up to her neck. Later on, she would be known as the "Mad Master" to the slaves, though her real name was Madeline Vonnes and preferred to be called "Ms. Vonnes". She was the one in charge of making sure the slaves acted orderly and didn't escape. As any other of the slave's new owners, she was cold-hearted and saw her charges as animals. Madeline Vonnes ordered executions without hesitation and often conducted them in places where the slaves would see it happen. Every time a new batch of slaves arrived to work, she was there to lay down the rules: don't escape, don't defy the authorities, don't slack-off, and don't disobey.

A male slave had caught her attention as he passed Vonnes, who slowly unbuttoned the centre of her coat. His weakness had created a gap between him and the person in front of him--Vonnes didn't like that. People behind him were urgently whispering to him, trying to get him to move faster. The man looked half-dead and on the edge of giving up. Suddenly, a loud bang pierced through the storm and everyone looked toward Vonnes. She had pointed a gun at the male slave's head and fired, killing him instantly.

"Chop off his hands so the line can keep going. Make sure his body is cremated like the rest that die." she ordered without a hint of remorse. She holstered her gun back onto the belt underneath her coat and strode along the docks toward the mines. As she walked, Vonnes began to button up her coat.

The Not-As-Cool Info Section

Setting:
The story unfolds within the city of Josho, a rapidly-developing, Caldyren port snuggly surrounded by an evergreen forest on one side and a cold sea on the other. Governed by a questionable city council and mayor, Josho has a rather corrupt atmosphere due to their greed. The year will be 2104 and the story will occur in the winter months. I have yet to decide whether this will be a modern, steampunk, or futuristic to some degree.

The locations the plot will take our characters won't be constricted to the mines~they'll go through the other districts of Josho. Perhaps there may even be more places which are outside of the city.

Plot summary:
Following their sudden, unwelcome capture by slavers, a group of people from a small fishing town on an underdeveloped, archipelago country, are thrust into the underground world of slavery and forced labour. Working against their will in one of the mines that helped bring Josho into sudden prosperity, they will witness the dark side of a growing, thriving empire that claims to stand for justice. They must find a way to break free and escape the hand of their ruthless masters. In their quest for freedom, they will learn of a far sinister plan.. or maybe not. Still developing.

tl;dr: People are captured by slavers. They are brought to a mine to work. They must escape. Still developing more.

About Josho:
Surveyors from the Sylphid Corporation discover large pockets of valuable minerals with magic-based properties (also known as magicka) beneath the northern district of Josho. After the eviction of countless residents, the district is cleared and a mining operation begins. Despite the immense amounts of controversy and backlash due to a lack of compensation, city officials decide to move on anyway and start mining. Within a decade, Josho grows immensely. However, the mines have been walled off and city officials have made it illegal for any unauthorized personnel from entering the northern district. They're hiding the slaves from the public eye and are building something, albeit the walling off of an entire district itself raises some suspicion. With the sudden increase in wealth, Josho's city government has become corrupt due to their greed.

About Caldyre:
Caldyre is similar to Canada in terms of climate. It is half in size of Australia and is connected to a larger mainland by a strip of land. There are no other countries in Caldyre, as the land is itself one big country. It is ruled by a monarchical hierarchy with a royal family at the top. Many of Caldyre's resource development projects are run by the Sylphid Corporation. The country is known as a popular fishing spot and its generation of ocean oils. Just recently, there was a discovery of very large pockets of magicka beneath the port city of Josho. This thrust the city into prosperity, but the country as a whole benefited most from the discovery. Caldyre has a history of being a powerful empire with territory across the globe, but past wars with rival nations crippled the nation's power. There is a fierce sense of nationalistic pride which only grew stronger with the country's newly-found wealth.

Why I Think My Idea is Different and the Slavery:
I don't see many other role-play themes of slavery directly involved with the plot. Or maybe I'm just blind and stupid. But when this idea came to me, I thought it was cool and had potential. I thought it might even be a new, bold idea, as not only men will be working in the mines beneath Josho, but women and possibly children, too. But that doesn't matter to the corrupt powers in the high places of the city since they're heartless.

I didn't want to include the slave-thing just for some cheap shock factor. It'll have some literary value to the plot. This whole thing won't be some big sitcom about who is in the 'collar'. I will say this: because of this theme, you're going to see some pretty mean (but hopefully interesting/developed) villains.

Post expectations and About Me:
Put in your best effort to give meaty posts so that a reply can have something to go on. I'm not asking for page worth of detail, but I'm not exactly saying I'm fine with one liners. In fact, if I ever do such a thing, point it out! I'm no sissy and I have a really mellow temper. I won't banish you just for pointing out my wrongs! My background as a role-player consists of somewhat beginner-to-moderate levels and the environment in which I RP'd in wasn't like this site. One-liners and un-detailed posts were far too common, and I want to move past that so I can grow and 'hone my skills'. I like to do things that aren't common and I'm pretty much a hipster aspiring to do RPs that are different. I like to do things I haven't done before, too. I'm also pretty wordy--maybe too wordy, honestly. I'm a fairly relaxed guy and I find large lists of rules distasteful. This is probably a bad thing. Or maybe not. Either way, the grammar in this post is a bad thing and I hope I can be forgiven for that. :I In short: give it your best shot. This section is probably annoying ramble to you guys, and if so, I'm sorry, friends.

tl;dr: Do your best. I'm forgiving and relaxed.

Not sure if you're interested or would take part? Do you have any concerns? Do you hate the idea altogether? Whatever it is, it's worth mentioning I'm a pretty understanding guy and I can take criticism calmly. So shoot those questions at me. I'll give you honest answers about what I have right now for the plot/RP/etc. I mean, without spoiling it completely, of course. But anything could change if I think it'll be good. (:

Keep in mind, though, that this idea is not complete and through a series of edits, I ''beauty'd-up'' this interest check. I also realize there could still potentially be holes in this post, but hopefully I ironed them out over the edits. ;l Before I go even deeper into developing this world and fleshing everything out, I'd like to see how much interest there is in an idea such as this.

Also, I wouldn't mind having some help with the plot. Much of the time, I get these pretty cool (or decent) ideas, but I find myself needing help in the execution (or wishing I could have another person's mind to build with and 'proofread'). If you believe you have what it takes, reply or PM me! Woah! An offer like no other! It could also help me cut the time it'll take to get this role-play rolling.

*edited to include more explanation and not let humour have so much prominence.
*edited to take this interest check more seriously and have more wordy articulation.
*edited for more refining. Possibly more pointless rambling.
*edited for more things. I'm done for now.

After any possible response or lack-of, I will make the decision whether or not if I want to continue developing the role-play.
Last edited by OlosThe20th on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.
i don't like toast unless it's whole wheat,
But I like bacon. That shit is good.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

OlosThe20th
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Rise Above (Int. Check 2.0)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OlosThe20th on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:32 pm

No thoughts at all? Tell me if you hate it, please. I'm not a sissy. Criticize it at the least and give me the dignity of going down with some thought or comment to chew on. Do you think its boring? Is it cliche? Tell me why. Ask me questions. Point things out.

If you think this interest needs more "content" then let me know. I can put more of this world which I envision into words that you can use to get a glimpse of it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

OlosThe20th
Member for 10 years

Re: Rise Above (Int. Check 2.1)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Neodraconis on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:08 pm

I'm definetely interested in this. I like the potential for darkness and to me who have been searching for something new, this feels like a fresh breath of air. I had a similar idea not long ago, but replacing slaves with just plain prisoners and not being in a possible fantasy setting but in the real world with superpowered individuals. So in a way I guess it's almost nothing like yours. XD What I'm getting at is that it sounds very intriguing. (You are not the only one rambling.

What kind of abilities/powers did you have in mind and would they be more magical in nature (throwing spells and the like) or as i wrote above, more "superpower" (one/two particular powers/magical gifts for example) in nature? And I guess not everyone have powers/magic?

Neodraconis
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OlosThe20th on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:17 pm

Shhaaweeet, a response.

I guess it would be both, in a way..

I'll probably have it similar to the Force users in Star Wars, where only certain people have the gift that enables to tap into some sort of magical energy. These people, who I'll simply address as Users, would have certain abilities and characteristics to that power which are unique to their bloodline. Also, some Users would naturally be better at learning/using various kinds of 'magic' than others. For example: while not all Users would be able to use X Family's special "Wings of Fire" (just a name), they can learn the much simpler and easier "Firespark" in order to light-up a campfire. Some Users would be able to learn Healing 'magic' faster than others. To advance and further harness their powers, Users would have to either innovate and learn through hard work, or they'd have to find some teacher or book that shows them how.

So Users have set abilities that give them a sort of uniqueness, but almost all are capable of learning simpler 'powers'. One bloodline may specialize in fire-related stuff while one may have a more healing-focused set.

That's what I got right now. It may change in detail some depending on how it'll fit in with the rest of the role-play, and I may add more to this. But I like it.

OlosThe20th
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:32 pm

I haven't played any RP's for a while now, and I think it's time to break my fast. I'm definitely interested in this idea.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Rise Above (Int. Check / Mature Content)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alligot on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm

@Olos, I'm interested in this as well! Something about the idea and the way you present it kind of strikes a certain chord with me. I'll be waiting eagerly to see if/when you do make this!

Alligot
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MilkHoney on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:51 am

Interested. How many need to be interested for this roleplay to launch?

MilkHoney
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby El_Gringo on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Yeah I've been uninterested as of late, but your idea sounds intriguing and your style you wrote it up in is fun [and captured my imagination].

El_Gringo
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OlosThe20th on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:55 am

Well, I decided I'd need about two pages worth of responses before I actually...

lolno.

I was contented with two responses and had decided to devote a bit more of myself to this idea/project. So.. I guess you could say this RP will launch (: However, keep in mind I've only really just begun working on it. I need to flesh the plot, world, and characters out before it really begins. Oh, my 'late' response isn't an indication of forgetting or being lazy, because I've been mulling over a whole bunch of ideas about what I want to include and do.

I appreciate your responses, guys (and/or ladies). I'll probably post more cool info and stuff if I feel like it's relevant or makes something different from what I've initially posted/described.

OlosThe20th
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MilkHoney on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:05 am

Awesome. I like sneak peeks. Keeps me pacified until the launch.

Just a heads-up, I'm going to be on retreat the week of Feb 7, and will likely not bring my laptop unless this has already begun. If you do happen to start during that week, I still very much want to join, but you won't see anything from me until my return to civilization.

MilkHoney
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OlosThe20th on Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:51 am

I don't see myself starting around that time, but if I do, I'll definitely remember that. I estimate that I'll be finished around mid-late February if I'm working on this consistently, but I have several things coming up before then, so the role-play itself could launch (a bit/maybe/more than likely/somewhat/I could be wrong) later. But who knows.. I could suddenly get a massive amount of inspiration and ideas, and develop everything much faster as a result. Or perhaps, it could very well be within that time frame after all! I just don't want to rush everything. :l

OlosThe20th
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:31 pm

I make no promises. But the basic concept does interest me, and I have been thinking about trying an RP again. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Chuckles
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Novelist Storyteller World Builder Group Theory Lifegiver Person of Interest Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OlosThe20th on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:04 am

Hey guys. This will launch later than I originally planned. I have things that demand a lot of my attention and I want to try and get rid of them first. The plot, characters, world, and whatnot will still be worked on, but progress will probably be a lot slower.

Just a brief FYI about how everything's coming along. I'm only saying this because I said that I'd see this thing starting up around mid-late February. Truthfully, it wouldn't have been enough time.

OlosThe20th
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:11 pm

This has grabbed my attention, but I am still not 100% certain since I got burned out of trying to roleplay due to good rpgs going down the drain because of inactivity of others or the head moderator vanishing. But I don't want to give up on roleplaying since I have loved it in the past.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:01 pm

Do me a favor and shoot me a message when you start getting closer and/or you get to a point where you want help world building (I love world building). At the very least I'm interested in seeing what you flesh out for the story and world. Hopefully I can commit to a character when the time comes to actually get the RP going.

Chuckles
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Novelist Storyteller World Builder Group Theory Lifegiver Person of Interest Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MilkHoney on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:10 am

I'm glad I checked this. You've been editing! When you edit, the system doesn't notify there is new content since there isn't technically a new post. I'll read up and double back to this post with thoughts in a moment.

Okay, finished reading. I see a lot of cleaning up. It is looking more like a finished product, but I'm not seeing any new information. Most of the information I'm curious about isn't for the introduction anyway and would bog it down if it was there. Information like: What does magicka look like? Does it need to be refined? How is it used? How did slavery manifest within society prior to this labor camp? Are there multiple playable races/species? Are you going to have a character or are you going to hang back and solely use npc villains to direct the story? What do you want on character sheets?

I've seen a lot that has claimed to be Medieval, steampunk, modern or futuristic without adhering strictly to those settings. I've recently entered another roleplay that is claiming 3 out of 4. If I had to pin down a best fit for this one, I'd say golden age Renaissance. You have ships, labor camp slaves, pistols and a monarchy that once had colonies, now undergoing an economic makeover. With a sudden ready supply of magicka, there would be national advancement in its use and international interest in cementing trade agreements. Plus hierarchical societies with too much money tend to spur thinkers, tinkers and artisans to come out of the woodwork to cater to their whims.

How's the plot brainstorm coming? In such a hostile setting, successfully escaping and staying safely gone seems like a formidable conflict to start with.

Also, don't be discouraged if you start this up and the gates aren't flooded with players. Timing can be tricky, especially when seeking a more mature audience for your ideas. When you are ready, remember to create a page on the Roleplayers Wanted forum and to PM everyone who showed interest here. Accept you might have to advertise again later on as you lose people to RL drama and hopefully gain new people.

MilkHoney
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby stealthpanther on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:50 pm

Your introduction post was most well-written and intriguing! I don't currently have any character ideas that would exactly fit your setting yet, but I think I could come up with something.

Also, I do have an interest check of my own if you're ever in the mood for 1x1 rp's. (feel free to pm me for the link if you want to see any ideas I have)

Anyways, I shall have to be on the lookout if you do create this rp.
Current quote going on in my head:

"You look like a girl!"
"That's what I am, half-wit!"
"Yeah, but today you look it!"

Ever After

stealthpanther
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!