Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

As the Curtain Falls

As the Curtain Falls (OOC, open and accepting)

a part of “As the Curtain Falls”, a fictional universe by Ylanne.

A co-ed fraternity has a history of hazing, but this time, they have gone too far. Rumors of student pledges disappearing have been cemented with a student's body. (Literate crime/realistic/modern - NOT a school roleplay)

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “As the Curtain Falls”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

As the Curtain Falls (OOC, open and accepting)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:58 am

As the Curtain Falls

Ylanne S.

[In Character]
[Characters Submitted Here]
Open Through American Thanksgiving 2010

Notice:

This is a modern realistic, advanced/literate, character-driven, crime roleplay.

Players must be mature enough to handle, discuss, and portray some controversial and potentially inflammatory themes with sensitivity, discretion, and thoughtfulness.

Introduction

Co-ed fraternity Epsilon Tau Zeta at liberal arts school Davenport University in Minneapolis, Minnesota has a history of hazing its pledges, but recently, it seems the Epsilons have gone too far. Pledges have been disappearing, and campus security has begun to question the Epsilons' practices. Until now, some turned a blind eye to what they deemed essentially harmless fun. "They'll learn the hard way that their behavior won't be acceptable in the real world," one said.

That's when the first body turned up. Identified as Katie Harmon, a sophomore who had few friends and participated in fewer on-campus activities. The symbol for Epsilon Tau Zeta was inked on her body, in her own blood. The investigation turned up no witnesses or camera footage. No one willing to come forward with any information. And the only genetic evidence belongs to the victim.

Now, Davenport University officials will clamor to shut down all fraternities, to detain and question every member of Epsilon Tau Zeta. The fraternity will claim it has nothing to do with the death. And still, it will recruit new pledges. Epsilon Tau Zeta's alumni have gone on to become powerful politicians, wealthy business magnates, and internationally known artists. Their draw and influence has never been greater.

Students attend classes, grief counseling, and secret initiations. All the while, the sinister wheels of time turn. They will be forced to discover what Epsilon Tau Zeta really is, and what they themselves are capable of doing... or watching. They will question who they are, and why they do the things they do. And in the interim, they will discover that to trust anyone is a death sentence. Because Katie Harmon is the first.

US Legal wrote:Hazing is defined as an abusive, often humiliating form of initiation into or affiliation with a group, including:

Any willful action taken or situation created which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health of another.

Any willful act by any person alone or acting with others in striking, beating, bruising, or maiming; or seriously offering, threatening, or attempting to strike, beat, bruise, or maim, or to do or seriously offer, threaten, or attempt to do physical violence to another made for the purpose of committing any of the acts.

Dramatis Personae
Last Updated 4 November 2010

Katie Harmon, a student found murdered outside the Silverman Dining Hall, played by Ylanne
Alia Rauf, John P. Lancaster Professor of Pure and Applied Physics and Lecturer in Theoretical Science, played by Ylanne
Lisa Kessler, a highly skilled hacker known on the Internet as 'Wisp, studying Literature, played by Parabola
Kyra Morrison, an aspiring Editor in Chief who works for Davenport's Student Newspaper as a reporter, played by Mia Siserae
Alan Gray, a private investigator hired by Epsilon Tau Zeta, played by Broken Romeo
Ana Kovanovik, Katie Harmon's best friend, played by Miss-CCC
Colin Thompson, a bookish, friendly Freshman, looking to enter Epsilon Tau Zeta, played by Shanman
Karina Duke, sophomore pledge looking for a way out after hearing of Katie's death, played by solamente_mismo
Qianning Vu, Katie's roommate, who finds herself with a desire to discover the truth, played by Kurokiku
Christopher Grenich, an FBI agent sent to investigate Katie's murder, played by Conumbra
Adelyne Theriot, a local LEO with a sharp wit and even sharper temper, played by justcallmejag

Rules

1.) Follow basic roleplay etiquette. This is with respect to things such as god-modding, metagaming, and the like.

2.) Post as often as you can. Your real life comes first, so don't feel overly pressured. (Minimum is once every two weeks; but less is acceptable, if you speak to me about it.)

3.) Characters should be unique, realistic, believable, and dynamic. This means Mary Sues will not be permitted, and that all characters should be developed dynamically and believably.

4.) Literacy is required. There is no minimum post length, but good form, style, and presentation are expected.

5.) Violence and swearing (IC only, please) are obviously permitted due to the nature of the themes. Keep romance/sexual content to PG-13 (this one is a rule of the site as well).

6.) Despite the setting, this is NOT a school roleplay. Be forewarned. You will not be making lists of schedules, anything like that.

7.) Subscribe to the OOC and IC threads (using the neat little Subscribe to Thread button on the post) so you can keep up with new posts in the disabling of View Your Posts. *NEW*

Character Submissions

You can submit them to the official roleplay tab page. . . thing. . . on here. OOC discussion will go in this thread, but submit characters that way, and I'll edit them into the roster. . . thing.

Be sure to mention what organization your character represents. You may create characters affiliated with any imaginable organization, agency, institution, etc. provided that your character meets the following three criteria: a.) the character is appropriate for the modern/realistic setting. b.) the character has something to add to the story of the roleplay. c.) the character otherwise meets the criteria set forth in the roleplay's rules. For example, it would be nice to have characters who are members of Epsilon Tau Zeta or pledges of it, as well as other students and possibly faculty at Davenport University, and law enforcement (campus police, Minneapolis Police Department, etc.). Of course, others are welcome provided they may be integrated into the storyline.

Do not feel constrained by the introduction to the roleplay (once it is posted). All players in this roleplay are encouraged to develop their own backstories with one another, to develop their own plots and subplots with one another, and to develop their characters with one another - not merely on their own (though you can, if you choose). Nevertheless, characters are expected to have something to do with the plot outlined here in the introductory piece.

I honestly don't care whether you use a picture reference for your character (as long as it's realistic), but please use your description and history as a chance to showcase your writing ability. Premade or pre-existing characters are welcome, provided they are your creation. Also, be realistic about ages of characters, especially with respect to relevant skills, experience, and education. University students are likely to be between the ages of 17 - 26. Faculty ought to be older than 40 (although graduate lecturers could be as young as 30). Law enforcement is upwards of 20; detectives upwards of 30.

Please PM me when you submit a profile so it can be approved.
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Re: [OOC] As the Curtain Falls (open)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Conumbra on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:03 pm

This actually seems like the first of your rps that I`m interested in. (No offense, Ylanne, your rps aren`t usually interesting for me), so expect a character from me in about a week. Probably a detective.
Last edited by Conumbra on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Conumbra
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver

Re: As the Curtain Falls (OOC, open and accepting)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:05 pm

If they are usually interesting for you (and they almost all have something to do with crime), why haven't you joined another one?
... I'm just having some fun with asking you. :) No hard feelings.

I can't wait to see your character profile, so be sure to PM me or post here with a link. And drag anyone else into it who you think might be interested.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Conumbra on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:10 pm

It was a typo. My mistake, it`s fixed now.

Conumbra
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Starbuck on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Count me in, I'll work on a profile soon. I hope this catches the interest of other good writers as well. =)
Previously known as PerfectlyBroken.

Starbuck
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:31 pm

I look forward to reading both of your profiles! If you know anyone else who you think would be interested, please, please, please pass along the link to them.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:02 pm

I hope to be making a character for this, depending on how well my schooling works out (Which will show soon) so my charcter I put in (of do. D=) will be low-level key, probably a student who was looking into pledging (? if that's okay, of course) and perhaps if my schooling allows it becomes a more..in depth character(?).
Join in on my Mentoring Rp!
It's a chance to everyone to improve their skills.
Targeted at Newbies, but for everyone!
roleplay/mentoring-classification-zombies#introduction

I see you...

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Yup, that's okay. Look forward to reading your profile!

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ubah on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Consider me very intrigued. I need some time to think out a character, but I definitely want to be part of this.

Ubah
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mia Siserae on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:50 pm

How do I sign up for the OOC part of this? @.@ all these new buttons...so confusing

Mia Siserae
Member for 19 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby solamente_mismo on Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Consider me to be considering the RP. It seems very intriguing, and I've only just began RPing on this site so getting a feel for what my style is (or isn't) should be good since this might be a handy cure for college boredom (and even if this isn't my style I'll keep at it just because :] )
So I'll be thinking up a character. Thanks for the PM.
( ^ carlantrus from pokestadium.com.)

solamente_mismo
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Solamente_mismo, you may also be interested in my other roleplay (link below in my signature, When the Lion Wakes), which is also in the modern realistic setting, although it deals with terrorism rather than hazing on a college campus. Feel free to take a look on that one; it has similar rules, and the same lenient posting requirement.

Also, to everyone who hasn't yet submitted a character - please do so within the next week, if you can. I would appreciate having those profiles so I can start work on the introduction to the IC thread, so we can all begin. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask, either here or via PMs.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jehanne on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Chalk me up "interested" s'well. I kinda... dissappeared during yr last RP invite, sorry. I assume you prolly think my posts meet acceptable standards, I just might be a bit off from my "break" not to mention I'll have'ta learn the RP thread system [I don't even know what to call it anymore.]

I'm spending the weekdays at the lake cabin, alone and bored, 'til school starts. So I'd have plenty of time for a profile. I'm tired now ['tis midnight] so the only [i.e. first] role I've come up w/ is a student at Cambridge Davenport [which will prolly change when I think some more in the morning].
[...]
Oh, yeah, and apparently I'm still on RPGateway. *cough* ^^; [the past months have been... anxiety producing]

EDIT: Mixing up completely unrelated college names: proof of how tired I was. >>;
Last edited by Jehanne on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maybe you are right, and this world isn't anything special after all.
But as familiar sights look different when seen from on high--as even when it's raining, blue skies spread out above the clouds--don't you think that the way you view the world changes depending on how it is perceived?
O, what a wonderful world! Even if it's a lie, if you believe it, maybe you'll feel happier than yesterday. Right?
Good or bad or something amazing: it isn't about what you do; it's about living without regret. That's it.

Jehanne
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:05 am

Jehanne, I'm sorry to hear that about the last few months.... The college in the roleplay is Davenport, so you'll have to figure out a way to integrate a Cambridge student. Also, if there's anything I can do for you, please let me know,

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jehanne on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:04 pm

Yeah: these last months have been hectic. >>; I've changed schools now because of behavoural problems. I've had a history of such problems before, but not to this point. Oddly enough; since the move I've not had single school related problem. ^^; It calmed down in the summer, but the past month has had me go to PT for a bad hip [caused by my scoliosis], me mum having total hip replacement surgery and dad getting two stints in his heart [and waiting on two more.] @.@

[...]

Any road, I think I have a premise for a character that can be integrated. [I stayed w/ the student idea; who'da thunk?] The one concern I have about it has to do with his motivation for whatever involvement the character gets into this. If I understand right Katie is dead near the start of the RP making her more along the lines of a plot device.

Basically, I was wondering if it would be okay for my character to have had a relationship in the past w/ Katie. I was thinking that they may have dated for a short period of time before ending the relationship on civilised terms. This would not only help give my character motivation for a small scale personal investigation around campus [when paired with his natural curiousity] but it could also give some good scenes for interaction [an ex-boyfriend, of course, being an obvious lead].

It is completely fine w/ me if you don't want this detail in, I'd just like to know soon since I'll need to brainstorm some more if that happens to be the case.

Jehanne
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:23 pm

Sounds good, Jehanne. Katie's profile should reveal all you need to know about her, since there is also a completed Common App in there.

If you need any other questions answered, regarding what else your character might have known about her, simply ask, and I'll answer. And yes, the roleplay opens shortly after her death.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanman on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:35 pm

I saw you mention in your help thread that a new person was free to join your RP. I looked at this and decided that this might be a good place to really kick off my role play career. Would that be all right? I'm pretty sure the posting limits will be no problem for me.

Shanman
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:13 pm

I would love to have you. Please follow the instructions in the first post on submitting characters, and let me know by posting here or however once you have done so.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 pm

I've submitted a character sheet for the roommate; hopefully she is to your liking, as I would be very happy to participate in this.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Broken Romeo on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Would it be safe to assume that the big wigs behind the Fraternity are looking to prove their innocence with the help of a PI?

Broken Romeo
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!