Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Thousand-Deep City (OOC thread)

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Thousand-Deep City (OOC thread)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:54 pm

Once upon a time, (don't you just love that beginning?) there was a city known as Ur-Akrona. This city had a horrible reputation, and for good reason – there was no law and no order. In an age of magic and fiends, dishonorable thieves, scheming sorcerers, and attacking fighters, it was a black stain on a dark landscape. And it was situated at the foothills of a massive, arcane, volcano, the only thing that could possibly be as fiery and cruel as the city surrounding it. But the city’s inhabitants had gone too far, this time, bringing back a rise of zombified dead. In the battle that followed, the city was destroyed by the sorcerers, igniting the volcano’s light as a last resort and sealing the city beneath the slow, meticulous lava flow.

Another century or so passed. The city was rebuilt, as it was at a locus of trade that none would abandon, and a new generation of thieves, looters, and other such scurvy dogs came to be. Some other touching stone for crisis was found, a ruckus was made, some angry sorcerer lit the volcano, and the city was buried again. This continued to happen for another several millennia, the city turning inevitably to evil. And it was always rebuilt, by some group or another. None really knew why – perhaps it was the people that chose to move back in, or perhaps it was something in the fumes of the volcano that caused it. Or perhaps – as was almost certainly the case – none of its previous cities ever really left. But, for whatever reason, no city ever built on that site was good.

But then it stopped. The seal of lava was thicker this time, and finally the priests declared the area of the volcano desecrated; none were to build houses on its slopes. People did build a city around the volcano, it being a good site to build the city, but they also did something nobody had ever thought to do. They renamed the city, calling it Iallia. And this city did not share the cruel fate and seedy reputation of the others built not so far away; it remained an honest city, this time, one in which children ran around in the streets and were not murdered the way they would have been. As it happened, having children wandering around unattended was in fact a poor idea.

ImageImageImageImage

Your characters currently live in Iallia.

RULES: (Except for #1, I'll try to follow them myself. I will have no character.)

1. No God mode.
2. No h4x0r.
3. Special abilities (magic, bio enhancements, etc.) must have limits. No "I snap my fingers and you die."
4. No forced RP. Giving other characters *minor* actions or lines in your post is ok, provided you keep them in character. You are also not permitted to make NPCs introduced by the DM act out of character.
5. If combat becomes a prominent activity, we will come up with rules regarding it, especially for PvP. For now, no ridiculous auto-hit and no ridiculous auto-miss.
6. Try to stay away from one-line posts. It keeps things going better and is more interesting to read when there's more to it.
7. NPCs, defined as people that are not specifically controlled by any one person, may be controlled by anyone.
8. Don't expect other people to post more than once in a night. And please try to at least check the RPs at least once in any given day (I suggest subscribing to the topic), because your character might be needed to move on the story.
8 1/2. If you do not post for more than 3 days and your character is needed to move the story, I will play your character until you return.
9. Please read previous posts within a particular RP if you want to join in. It just makes things run smoother.

Your character sheet should be along the lines of this:

Code: Select all
Name:
Description:
Weapon:
Abilities:
Background:

You should post one of these to introduce a character. I would prefer good background stories.

The other players are not your enemy. I will furnish your enemies. I will provide all the opponents, monsters, and traps you need to play - win or lose - the game. By the way, I lost the game.

Oh, and just so you all know, I'm stealing this from a friend of mine who was going one way with it, and since he was the GM and I was a lowly peeon, he never told me how it ENDS. So I make this part up.

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by DCLXVI on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: ______ (name pending) OOC thread

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:51 pm

Looks interesting. Can we be creatures who are not totally human? (elves, vampires, gnomes, sentient talking fingernails that fly about on hover-pads, et cetera)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Sure.
I think the actual GM of this RP may come back to GM it, in which case I will turn control over to him. When I did this there were two vampires and a were-cat. Don't get to fancy though if Bob comes back.

ImageImageImageImage

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

[[ I happen to be the originator of the RP scenario, and am probably going to do at least some of the DMing. ]]

Non-humans are allowed. However... nothing evil-aligned. Not yet, anyways. If you want anything abnormal, or anything that has magical powers, PM me about it first. <<You can thank a certain Klaiya for that...>> If it's a DnD core race (EXCEPT FOR the Drow and the 4e Tiefling and Dragonborn), it's OK.
Occam's Electric Razor: I can't be bothered to understand your side's arguments, therefore my side is correct.

BobTheFerret
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention, he had started this is a D&D type thing.

ImageImageImageImage

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:35 pm

I'm not going to click on your eggs, by the way.

Name: Ernest Wilkes
Description: He is an elf. Stands 4'2", skinny. Blonde hair, blue eyes, and the ubiquitous Massive Elf Ears(tm). Wears a green-died wool robe with many bags, pouches, and such hanging all over him.
Weapon: A "Maith Staff," an enchanted ebony cane with the top end carved in the shape of a cobra's head. This tool of elven-craft protects Mr. Wilkes from malevolent spirits and can separate magical materials into their base component. Basically, it's an anti-witchcraft club.
Abilities: Wilkes is highly schooled in chemistry, physics, and the occult (though he himself is not a mage and cannot cast traditional spells.) As an elf, he also has night-vision and extraordinary hearing.
Background:
Ernest Wilkes was born in a village by the sea near Iallia. His parents were from Elfland (generic name, unless you as the GM have another name for it), where they had been persecuted as monotheist heretics among the polytheist elves. They fled to that village where they happily embraced the more accepting human culture and gave their son a human name; Ernest, the name of the ship captain who had transported them away from Elfland, and Wilkes, after the town they settled in.

As a child, Wilkes spent many hours wandering about the nearby forests, which his Elven parents thought perfectly normal. He became affluent with the region's flora, and at some point aquired an interest in alchemy. At the age of sixteen, he went to an Iallia university to study alchemy. At twenty-one, he became a paying member of the Alchemists' Guild and opened a labratory in Iallia.

Eventually, Wilkes decided to visit his parent's homeland of Elfland. After spending two months there, he returned, but would not discuss his experience with his friends and from then on, he refused to identify himself as an elf.

----------------

When I came up with this character over a year ago, I didn't plan for him to be part of a D&D setting. I hope the non-D&D weapon (Maith Staff) and the non-D&D class (alchemist) are okay.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BobTheFerret on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:51 pm

I didn't mean to say that I wanted to play this as a DnD campaign (sorry, I was being a bit unclear), just that I wanted to use their core races as a guide. I don't plan on doing this as a DnD game, although if you'd rather do it in DnD that'd be all right. The staff and class are probably fine, but you should discuss them with me a bit; I know not everybody likes to discuss their character designs, but I prefer to know the strengths and weaknesses of the characters I DM. PM me with some further details, OK?
Last edited by BobTheFerret on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BobTheFerret
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Village Alchemist wrote:I'm not going to click on your eggs, by the way.

Why not...:(?

Oh, and can it, Bob.

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:07 pm

They remind me of easter, DCLXVI. And easter reminds me of traumatic buried childhood memories that scarred my psyche for life."Hey kid, d'yah wanna' see my easter bunny?"

Erhem, anyway, I'm thinking this RP isn't going to get far with 2 GM's and 1 player.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:13 pm

I'm not GM anymore. However, I will take over for Ferret if he doesn't do anything.

I'll post my character now:
Name: Luciphor Lee (yes, I ditched Jua, boys are more fun)
Occupation: (you think the Satanist thing would go over so well with these guys?)
Description: He's not a vampire anymore, since I don't A.) Want to have another Mellitus Incident (you don't want to know) and B.) I don't want to fight with Bob about it.
Weapon: Flaming chainsaw (please!?)
Abilities:
Background:

got to go, will finish eventually...

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BobTheFerret on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 pm

@VAlchemist: DCLXVI has already solved a part of that problem. Also, I think we'll be able to gather another few players pretty quickly. In fact, we almost certainly have another one or two guaranteed, not counting DCLXVI.

@DCLXVI: Thanks! That makes it a lot easier. I don't think they have chainsaws quite yet [pseudo-Middle Ages technology level here], and I think we should probably discuss profession and weapon a bit more at some point in the near future.

BobTheFerret
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:27 pm

I think we actually have some rl Satanists on the forum, DCLXVI. And I've never seen anything on this site censored for religious reasons. All in all, I don't think anyone will stop you from RPing one. Though having a Satanist in a fantasy world where there presumably is no Satan seems rather odd.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 am

Dang it Alchemist! It doesn't matter what really exists! Religion is all about belief!
Look at atheists. They believe God doesn't exist. Look at nuts who think we all don't exist and they're just a brain in a vat. They believe that you and I don't exist. I could have a character who thinks flying monkeys are signs of the apocalypse, and is convinced she sees them everywhere.

Sorry. I get that way sometimes.
I wanted to just bring Luciphor over from the last thread, but I'm not sure how well that'd go over with this crowd...

ImageImageImageImage

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 pm

All right then. Sorry.

Oh, and congratuations on your little dragonlings there.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:27 pm

Thanks! Now will you click them?

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:11 pm

Allright, I clicked one of them. Happy?

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:44 pm

Man, this thread looks REALLY uninviting.

JOIN THIS RP AND I'LL GIVE YOU CAKE!

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Surreal on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:58 pm

Oh, all right. If you insist.
But why don't you want to have a character? It'd make it easier for the rest of us to play, as we'd be able to follow your chars lead on what to do/where to go. Savvy? :D

EDIT: Urgh...my mistake, DCLXVI! I didn't notice you'd posted a char! -_-

Name: Aidan Vorbia

Description: He stands at exactly six feet tall, and is lean and muscular. Has straight brown hair, and eyes that are a light grey color -- he was born blind. Wears a light tan linen shirt, brown trousers, and tough leather boots.

Weapon: His only weapon is a polished, six-foot oak staff.

Abilities: Though he cannot see, his other senses have compensated, meaning that his sense of smell, hearing, and touch are much heightened. Has great skill in the use of his staff, as well as an innate ability to mimic voices, sounds, and animal cries that he has heard.

Background: Born orphaned and blind, it didn't seem like he had much of a future ahead of him, but he was determined to overcome his disability. He was a bright lad, who learned quickly, but being blind meant that he didn't have many choices of profession. At first he worked at odd jobs such as basket-weaving and a little fletching; jobs that didn't necessarily require sight to do, and eventually he started his own business in Iallia, tailoring garments.

*Takes a deep breath*
HEY PEOPLE!! JOIN THIS RP!! WE HAVE COOKIES!!

Maybe a an uber sweet title would draw the peeps in? Something like "Iallia - The Darkness Approaches" or "In The Shadow of the Volcano" or "The City of Evil" or SOMETHING!
Last edited by Surreal on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surreal
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:20 pm

Ask Bob, he's in charge.

Name: Luciphor Lee (yes, I ditched Jua, boys are more fun)
Occupation: Satanist priest (Thine Beatings Shalt Continue until Morale Improveth.)
Description: He's not a vampire anymore, since I don't A.) Want to have another Mellitus Incident (you don't want to know) and B.) I don't want to fight with Bob about it. So he looks like Wolfwood from Trigun, except that he doesn't carry a giant cross-shaped gun. His cuff links are also pentagrams, not crosses. And he's paler than Wolfwood.
Weapon: Faith. And guns. Whatever Bob-approved guns there are. And shurikens. Because they're cool.
Abilities: Think Mormons. Mormons with guns.
Background: Lived in Theraneia (neighboring city) until he was run out by an angry mob. So he moved somewhere more peaceful.
Last edited by DCLXVI on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years

Re: The Thousand-Deep City (OOC thread)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BobTheFerret on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:02 am

Guns... Hm. There would be muskets, and possibly revolvers. I'll warn you that you can't expect a constant supply of ammunition so it might be a good idea to have some knives on hand as well.

I think the title I preferred was 'The Thousand-Deep City'.

[[ DCLXVI still knows pretty much where the setting is going to go. Or, at least, where it will start to go. ]]

BobTheFerret
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!