Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Superpower Deathmatch!

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Superpower Deathmatch!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LusciousMalone on Tue May 12, 2009 5:48 pm

EDIT: The IC thread is now up! It's right here: superpower-deathmatch-arena-t22020.html if you want to check it out.

Mmkay so I know this has been done before, but here's how my version is going to work. Everyone creates a character (or two or three or four characters, although you can only use one at a time). Then, you pick four powers, each of which you can use twice per battle, once offensively and once defensively. Each person will also get one finisher. The battles will consist of one person using one of their powers to attack the other person and one person using one of their powers to prevent that attack from injuring them and then using a second power to retaliate. The battle ends when one person cannot block/dodge an attack with a power of their own, thereby leaving the other person open to use their finisher.

For example, let's say I've got two characters fighting, one with lightning, fire, ice, and air abilities, the other with super speed, super strength, telekinesis and mind reading. The battle could go like this:

Character 1 opens with a lightning bolt attack, which Character 2 uses super speed to dodge out of the way from. Character 1 can no longer use lightning offensively and 2 cannot use super speed defensively.

Character 2 then uses his super speed to attack, running at 1 for a high-speed tackle, but Character 1 decides to use his lightning ability defensively to create an electric charge around himself, rendering himself untouchable so that when Character 2 collides with him, he's blown back. Now Character 1's lightning ability and Character 2's super speed ability are both used up for the battle's duration.

The fight continues like this until either both Character's powers are completely drained, rendering the match a tie, or until one character cannot come up with a creative enough way to use his remaining powers to block the other person's attack.

For example, in the previous battle, Character one is down to his offensive fire ability and defensive ice ability, and character 2 is down to offensive telekinesis and defensive mind reading. 1 uses his fire ability to send a burst of flame 2's way, but Character 2 uses his mind reading ability to figure out what character 1's move is going to be before he ever does it, and moves out of the way of the flame attack. Character 2 then uses telekineses to lift Character 1 into the air and slam him into the ground, a move that Character cannot figure out how to block with ice. That leaves Character 1 stunned and Character 2 victorious and able to use his finisher, which involves hurling Character 1 into space.

I know I'm not the best at explaining things but hopefully that's clear enough. If you have any questions, just ask them here in the OOC topic.

Character Skeleton:
Name:
Physical Description: (pictures are okay, or a short paragraph)
Power 1: (include a name and a short description for each of the powers, detailing briefly what each power is used for)
Power 2:
Power 3:
Power 4:
Finisher: (Describe how your character finishes off his matches. Since this is a deathmatch, I'm fine with you killing off the other character, brutally if you feel the need. The finisher can either be a variation on one of your powers or something completely different. Be creative.)
Bio: (Just a quick description of the character. It doesn't have to be long since the character might just be dead soon.)

QUICK RULES:
The powers you use can be anything from X-Men-esque superpowers to magical spells to attacks with a sword or throwing stars. Be creative, create whatever character you want. Just be reasonable, please. Don't use anything that would be completely impossible to avoid, like collapsing the universe or the like.
This is a deathmatch. Don't bitch if your character dies. However, with that said, I'm fine if you want to resurrect a character and use him/her again. This is a fantasy roleplay, death doesn't have to be permanent.
Don't be ridiculous when it comes to using your powers offensively/defensively. I encourage creativity, and if you can give a valid reason why your ability to shoot lasers from your eyes is going to save you from being sucked into a tornado, then I'll be more than happy to allow it. But let's face it, your ability to breathe underwater is not going to save you from being hurled into a volcano, so please don't even try.
I will serve as referee for these battles, so if I determine that a move is invalid, please just accept it and try something else.

Alright, you can go ahead and start posting characters on this thread. I'll make an IC arena in about an hour, assuming I get some people who are interested in playing this game with me.

Oh, one more thing: You can go ahead and challenge whoever you want. Just make sure you issue it in this thread before you take it to the arena. I'll post two or three characters of my own before the day is through.
Last edited by LusciousMalone on Wed May 13, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's like buying the new Tomb Raider game only to discover that Lara Croft isn't actually in it and the story revolves around her awkward prepubescent neighbor and his coming to terms with juvenile diabetes!"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LusciousMalone
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Superpower Deathmatch!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chulance on Tue May 12, 2009 6:11 pm

I'll use my guy Peter
Have you ever dreamed of being extraordinary, being able to wield a super-human ability? Tissue Regeneration, Teleportation, Electricity Manipulation? What If I told you could, the way to obtain these abilities is simple. Click the Links.
OOC:http://www.roleplaygateway.com/heroes-heroes-villains-t29924.html
IC:http://www.roleplaygateway.com/heroes-heroes-villains-t29956.html

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Chulance
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LusciousMalone on Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Sounds good! Please post the character in this thread, though, just so that I've got all of the information in one easy-to-access place. Thanks so much :D
Okay, here are my characters. Feel free to challenge them if you'd like! I'm always up for a good fight.

Name: Cyrus Deveaux
Physical Description: Tall and extremely muscular, even by swordsman's standards, Cyrus cuts an imposing figure with his jet black hair and flinty grey eyes. His body is covered in scars from a lifetime of combat, but you can barely see any of that because of all of the armor he wears.
Power 1: Voltaire: Cyrus' broadsword. Though dull in color and covered in scratches from countless battles, it's still formidable enough to cleave a horse in half.
Power 2: Diamondskin: A magical ring that turns Cyrus into diamond for a moment, making him impervious to physical blows as well as making him extremely heavy.
Power 3: Pegasus Boots: Enchanted boots that Cyrus won in one of his previous deathmatches. They enable him to move with bursts of great speed for short increments of time.
Power 4: Trueshot: Spell-enhanced throwing knives that hone in on a target and hit him no matter where he tries to hide. They can be blocked, however.
Finisher: Cyrus finishes off his opponent with one great blow with his sword.
Bio: Cyrus trained to be a knight in his Kingdom's service, but quickly tired of all of the rules and regulations that knights must follow and became a mercenary instead. He has been fighting to survive all his life, and has made a pretty penny off of it.

Name: Imogen Bellevue
Physical Description: Image
Power 1: Call Lightning: Imogen calls lightning from the sky, to strike wherever she wishes.
Power 2: Freeze: Imogen supercools the air, allowing her to create ice almost instantly.
Power 3: Light Manipulation: Imogen manipulates the light in the area around her, creating anything from bolts of energy to protective shields. Only usable when there's light to manipulate.
Power 4: Telekinesis: The ability to move objects with your mind.
Finisher: Imogen flash-freezes the opponent, then shatters them with a bolt of lightning from the sky.
Bio: Imogen has spent her whole life up until this point studying to become a great wizard, and now hones her abilities fighting in deathmatches because she's so sure she'll win.

LusciousMalone
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby hoorayformostthings on Wed May 13, 2009 12:12 am

Mmkay this looks like fun, I'll give it a go.

Name: Delicious Ramirez
Physical Description: Image
Power 1: Illusions: The ability to create illusions to confuse and mislead.
Power 2: Super Speed: The ability to move near the speed of light.
Power 3: Flight: The ability to fly.
Power 4: The Ramirizer: Delicious' frying pan. It's enchanted so that's it's always red-hot, making it both an invaluable cooking utensil and a deadly weapon.
Finisher: Delicious opens his mouth and sucks you in, eating you. Think kirby.
Bio: Delicious Ramirez once ran the most successful diner in all of Guadalajara. Until it burned down. Now he fights people to the death. Just because he looks ridiculous doesn't mean he won't kill you.
"Wanna play a joke on your chiropractor? The next time he starts working on you, go limp and soil yourself."

hoorayformostthings
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LusciousMalone on Wed May 13, 2009 12:14 am

Ahaha that's a great character. Alright, I'll challenge you to a deathmatch with Imogen. See you in the Arena.

LusciousMalone
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!