Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Survival [OOC]

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Survival [OOC]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:06 pm

When faced with the horror of your own mortality, many will say that they will fight to the bitter end, sacrifice their own lives for their love and friends, and go out with the honor in knowing that they died selflessly. But every human being knows that there is a difference between talk and action. It is this difference that sets us apart from true animals.

Our instincts force us into confliction. Do we do everything in our power to help our neighbor, whether friend or stranger? Or do we run, finally against the true face of death and yearning to live another day?

We often never know until the time comes.

When it comes down to the most basic of terms, you can only ask yourself one simple question…

...How far would you go to survive?

The news feeds continued to rage across the array of television sets. Each had been set to a different news channel, each covering the same story. News anchors stood atop buildings, inside helicopters, and inside news rooms. The view behind them showed city streets holding massive running crowds. What they were running from couldn’t be seen, as if this terrible force was invisible. But, as Grey continued to watch, he realized the crowds were not running from any kind of weapon or form of destruction. They were running from each other.

Hundreds swarmed the streets. Grey couldn’t tell which were still human and which…weren’t. All of them were covered in blood. Then Grey realized what the difference was. It was in their faces. Their movement. Their eyes.

The humans ran in any direction, hysterically screaming while their faces held looks of terror and sadness. They limbed, they bled; Grey could tell which were human by their pain.

The animals…they ran in with a specific goal. They ran towards the ones running away. Pure anger fueled their eyes. With each news feed that showed the last glimpse a camera man had before being attacked, Grey could see into the animals’ eyes. The animals never limped or slowed from fatigue. They just ran and ran until they caught their prey. They felt no pain. No suffering. Everything had been taken from them.

As his view panned from one television to another, he noticed from his peripheral vision a television revert to static. When he looked up to that set, he noticed another go out as well.

Grey looked to a set showing a woman in a hotel room, looking out the window to the crowds below, all swarming the entrance. Her panicked face went to the camera as he screamed her pleads which Grey could not hear. Her eyes went to something behind the cameraman. As the camera spun to the door of the hotel room. A maid, covered in red, was seen for a split second before taking hold of the camera and throwing it to the floor. That set went to static as well.

Over the span of just a few minutes, the televisions sporadically went to the snow. A small part of Grey’s whole was relieved, glad he didn’t have to look at the swarm he was running from. Thoughts went through his mind as he feared the inevitable. The people he was with…he would eventually have to choose between his life and theirs. He knew it would happen. He just didn’t know when or where.

The cold grip on Grey’s shoulder made him shudder. He turned from the televisions and faced his friend.

“We need to go, Grey.”

He said nothing and nodded. As his friend walked away, Grey glanced back to the televisions one last time. Black and white. That’s all it was out there, the static spoke for the news anchors that were most likely all gone. All that was left were the living and the dead. There were no more gray areas, innocence had left the world. Now, you were either a Survivor or an Infected. Grey turned and went back to the few he had with him. As he surveyed them, he knew his choice.

Scoop:

1. If you are particularly offended or queasy by the thoughts of gruesome and/or frightening scenes of violence, I would suggest not joining.

2. If you cannot sit through movies such as Twenty-Eight Days Later or Dawn of the Dead for primarily reasons of offense or fear, I would suggest joining to help you get out of that state.

3. Follow my typical guidelines of sexuality but be free to expand of your use of language and violence in this story - just don’t be obnoxious or plain disgusting for the sake of being disgusting.

4. Be aware that I may kill your character at any moment - just be aware of that and act smart.

5. If you make a stupid mistake you will be killed. My way of spicing up the mundane continuity storyboards. Besides, it’ll only be the extremely stupid of you that will die.

6. If you do die, don’t worry, I’ll let you cook up a new character. Maybe you’ll be smart with this one.

7. Characters may kill another character BUT it must be with the dieing character’s consent - a character may attack another character at any time they feel like it but no auto hits. If you don’t know what an auto hit is: look it up or don’t bother joining.

8. I will allow some auto hits but only to my creations (Infected, not Survivors) and as long as you don’t go over the top with them. If you need an example: You run into a mob of zombies and kill them all with a bat - I would reply to this, correcting you - You run into a mob of infected, hit one on the head before the rest turn on you and rip you apart. The rest of the party shakes their heads and moves on.

9. The ninth and most important: Your characters are NOT going to be the ideal hero. They are not absolutely selfless, as many imagine themselves. Of course, they could think that when the time comes they would sacrifice themselves (and I will allow this since it really does happen) but a majority of you have to put into the equation the strong factor that they may choose to save their own skin. I’m not being pessimistic or cynical, just try to make your character real. I’m not saying no heroes, by all means create one if you want to. I just don’t want them all to be heroes.

10. This story will be sent in England. I’m going to try and refrain from using official town and city names because a) I don’t know any and b) I want this to have the feeling like it could be anywhere. Despite the fact that I’ve already stated it’s in England. You’re characters can be from anywhere in the world, though.

11. At first, you’re not going to know a lot about the virus. You’re not going to know how contagious it is, if it’s airborne or not, how far it has spread, how it is spread, how much time it will take to effect, its origin, its purpose, etc. You’re pretty much just going to know it’s bad.

Name: Dictionary.com defines name as a word or a combination of words by which a person, place, or thing, a body or class, or any object of thought is designated, called, or known.

Age: Any age you want at all. But, if you chose a toddler or senior citizen, expect a very difficult time surviving

Physical Description: Describe or post of picture

Race/Country of Origin: Pretty dam simple.

Occupation: Keep in mind I want some variety so if there’s more than one in an occupation, ill be disgruntled. If there are more than one occupation, I’ll also decide which is the better and probably only choose one. Then again, you could press your luck. Do you feel lucky?

Recent Events: Don’t bother writing up miniscule things. Just tell me if there’s been something big. Besides the impending and inevitable armageddon of infection.

Relatives and Minor Characters: People related or close to your person.

Personality: Fill this out. Flesh this out. It’s the single most important part in this story. This isn’t a superhero or fantasy storyline. You’re characters are going to be really real. Really really real.

Before the Outbreak: Another way for me to say ‘background’

Trivial Facts: Not an original idea anymore but it‘s still cool

The Outbreak: An optional option to write how your character first learned something was wrong. No specifics because you don’t know anything.
'When you're finally in my arms, look up and see..
Love Has A Face'

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Survival [OOC]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby St.Jimmy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Name: James Fletcher

Physical Description: James is of average height but he's slim for a boy. He's not the strongest of characters but he's fast and quite agile. He has brown hair, a few strands of which fall over his face, catching over his eyes, which are the same colour, if a shade darker. His uncle works as a tattooist and he got a star tattoo on his arm when he was fifteen, something which he now wishes he hadn't gotten. He was on the football [soccer] team at school but he was never very good at contact sports like rugby, due to his slim build. He was always good at things like swimming and athletics, though.

Race/Country of Origin: James is English, and originates from the north-east. ((I'm actually from here, so if you do ever want any place names in England I can give you them. I know you said you probably wouldn't be using anything like that -- just so you know :D))

Occupation: James wanted to go to university but he didn't think he'd be able to afford it, so he joined his dad in his work as a mechanic.

Recent Events: James's mother was diagnosed with cancer right before the epidemic happened.

Relatives and Minor Characters: James was in a serious relationship but he hasn't seen his girlfriend since the events began and he doesn't know if she's still alive. He's with his cousin at the moment, since the two of them were caught out of town together when it all began. His cousin is Robbie Peterson, who works in a factory.

Personality: James got along okay at school. He was never bullied but passed by kind of unnoticed apart from his own circle of friends. The reason for this was because he was quiet and usually kept his head down, a trait which he has carried with him since he left school at sixteen. He once harboured dreams of being a musician; this would never have come to fruition because of his quiet nature. He's not particularly bright, but he is good at art and at some aspects of English. However, he could never grasp maths or science or many of his school subjects. He's a nice enough character but he isn't above dodgy business as a mechanic in order to scrape together some more money for himself, and he isn't the bravest of people.

Before the Outbreak: James had discovered his mother had cancer. His cousin Robbie took him out of town and down to a busier place to spend the day there, intending to drink and go to nightclubs in order to get James's mind off things.

Trivial Facts: James grew up with Robbie so they're practically siblings.

The Outbreak: Robbie and James had just arrived at their destination when there was screaming and some sort of news report, quickly cut off. They grasped that something was wrong and went to investigate; people were running away from ... nothing. Swept along with the crowd, the boys managed to finally get to some place alone and tried to work out what was happening.

((Is this okay? Are all our characters together or are we spread out all over the place?))
Last edited by St.Jimmy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my girlies;;
laurenn ;; larii ;; laurie ;; charlie ;; becky ;; beth ;; illy ;; sessi ;; rachael ;; kiers

Image Image Image
may i waste your time too?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

St.Jimmy
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jewelcast on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Name: Kitty Winters

Physical Description: Kitty is short, skinny and not really your atheletic type, though that is more due to unwillingness than inability. Her hair is cut to shoulder-length, and is an unexciting brown in colour, and her eyes are blue. She has freckles, which are a source of annoyance to her.

Country of Origin: England

Occupation: Kitty is, or rather, should be, a student in her last year of high school. She had no particular aspirations, hoping only to get a reasonably secure, well-payed job.

Recent Events: Nothing major has happened in her life for a long time, leading to her boredom.

Relatives and Minor Characters: Kitty had parents, who she was not particularly fond of, and an older sister, who went to New Zealand when she was old enough to move out.

Personality: Kitty wasn't the smartest girl in the class, and she knew it, but nor is she stupid. Her intelligence is better applied to practical logic than abstract logic or the learning of dry facts. She can be shy, and has a very strong tendency to keep things that bother her to herself. She is a good listener and can keep a secret, but had few friends due to being viewed as rather anti-social. She doesn't believe she takes other people's opinions about her seriously, but has a deep-seated fear that she is in some way inherently unpleasant. She sometimes holds a grudge, especially against her parents, whose expectations put great pressure on her, and from whom she never gained any sympathy for failure.

Before the Outbreak: With nothing but swotting for exams, Kitty was bored out of her mind. She wished repeatedly that something interesting would happen, and now suffers from an irrational guilt that it was her wishing that brought this horror down on everyone.

Trivial Facts: She dislikes citrus fruits, and normally turns her nose up at marrows, but has a passion for tomato ketchup. She also loathes the colour orange.

The Outbreak: When the first couple of news reports filtered through, Kitty was mildy interested. Then she thought it was a joke. She was in town when she witnessed it first hand for the first time, the screams, the crowd beginning to turn round, fleeing hysterically. Being at the opposite end of the street from the source of the trouble, she did the smart thing and fled.
Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust.

Jewelcast
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DragonRider on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Name: Ian Broeden. Aka Fox.

Physical Description: Ian is of moderate height, at 6 feet even. he is lean, and well muscled. dark red hair (hence his nickname Fox) of medium length, dark green eyes, and a strong jaw complete his physique. he is quick on his feet, and quite strong.

Race/Country of Origin: half American, half Norwegian/America.

Recent Events: his uncle, and best friend died while out on a hunting trip.

Relatives and Minor Characters: Jack Broeden, his uncle, and Martin flint, his best friend.

Personality: Ian is rather tough, due to his time served in the navy special forces. but he can be a gentleman when he wants to. he is capable of taking care of himself but when things get crazy, he tries to get away from it. he is rather intelligent, and has a natural ability to formulate strategy's. he knows how to use weapons, but prefers not to resort to violence.

Before the Outbreak: Ian was a top member of the navy special forces, but quit because of several incidents, he doesn't like talking about. he moved to england, to get different scenery, and to get away from his old life in the forces. he now works as a mechanical engineer.

Trivial Facts: none.

The Outbreak: he was watching the news, getting kinda weirded out by how the people were acting, but just thought it was some stupid riot. but when the news went static, he new something was up, so decided to check it out.
Wanna see my dragon? clicky there --> Dragon
<><><><><><><><><><> ahh, brilliant. Lost in a book. Or rather, the places a book can take you. It doesn't matter if it's fiction, non-fiction, history, philosophy, science or religion. Mere words on a page, written with great care and much thought have the marvelous ability to impart ideas, ideals, information and emotions that can expand your mind and broaden your horizons in a way that no other medium can match.
I read, therefore I am.

DragonRider
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Alright, all three accepted.
And you can go solo or meet up if you want.

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:37 am

Name: Frederick Rowley, aka Big Red

Physical Description: Red is a massive man, though not necessarily towering. Standing just around 5’10”, his great bulk makes up for anything he may be lacking, vertically. He weighs in at around 260lbs of muscle. Of course, he’s largely strength and weight, meaning his speed is generally something than can be left lacking. Not to say he’s slow; he simply isn’t going to win any major races. He’s a bit pale, but considering where he lives, it’s no surprise. His hair is a short-cut buzz, reddish brown (“rusty.”) His goatee is kept short, as well. He sports a strong, straight nose bridge; wide jaw; short and thick brows; brown eyes some might call small or “squinty;” and a bit of grey at his temples. His body is barrel-shaped, with a wide chest and solid, muscular gut. And of course, he sports stylish little glasses with flat, wire-free tops. His skin bears a bit of scarring, considering his profession. Image
Sketch © my girlfriend, not me.
Ignore them ears
. She drew him as a dog-man.

Race/Country of Origin: North London, UK

Occupation: Red is a blacksmith. He learned the trade through both schooling and years of work. He specializes in ornate metalwork for gates/doors.

Recent Events: He divorced his wife, Mindy, nearly two years ago.

Relatives and Minor Characters: Mum, dad, and ex-wife.

Personality: Red can be a bit impatient with folks who are just too ignorant to treat him decently. Otherwise, he’s frequently the first to go out of his way to be the polite one. He’s quite smart, despite what his cockney accent might have you believe. He is the sort to brood, and throws himself more wholly into work when he’s unhappy over something. Lost sleep/health for the sake of completing a job is nothing new to the big guy. He works easily in conditions of great heat and strain, and can wield a sledgehammer like nobody’s business. Despite how easy his smiles are and how thoughtful he can be, everyone has the point at which their temper flares. When his is breached, it can be unpleasant.

Before the Outbreak: Frederick grew up in the UK, spending elementary years in a private Christian school and developing more personality through years in public school beyond that. He attended two different universities, one for a BA in mechanics and the other for a graduate in mathematics. Throughout his schooling he worked in the smithy shop of a friend of his father’s. When cancer took its toll, the business was handed to Red. Over the last ten years he’s made some major deals with large-scale corporations, bumping up his bank account and business appeal. Because of this, he has a good sized home on a piece of decent property, and it is loaded with all sorts of metalwork.

Trivial Facts: Red is easily offended by folks who assume his accent means he is stupid. He’s also very attached to his red rust Dobermann, Jack. Sometimes he feels older than he is, perhaps because of the grey bedding in the hair at his temples, or because he’s been single since his divorce.

The Outbreak: With three large televisions in his home and another out in his shop—each almost constantly tuned to the news—he’s been watching stories develop for hours. When he called his parents and no one answered the phone all day, it was then he decided to drive to their place and check in. Considering the strange conditions only now starting to be displayed on TV, he brought Jack with him. (Depending on how things unfold, they may be with him where ever he is, in the beginning. Simple NPCs.)

I have a questiiiooonnnn... Where is the aforementioned group, currently? News station?
Last edited by ThatsNotPoetry on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:42 am

Accepted. And they are general located everywhere in England. Hotels, hospitals, homes, McDonalds, you name it, they'll more than likely be there. The survivors are your characters, along with the few we may encounter.

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:46 am

Ohh alright. I had assumed the survivors involved here were all located in a room that your character had just stepped into. My bad for reading too far into it. x3

I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum. Do you make an announcement when you make the thread?

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:18 am

Erm...which thread? The IC? If so, of course!

Anyway, I shall be playing the role of Grey.

Name: Grey (Prefers to keep his last name secret)

Physical Description: Image

Race/Country of Origin: English

Recent Events:
-Mother mysteriously killed
-Father mysteriously killed
-Both brothers mysteriously killed
-Multiple friends mysteriously killed

Relatives and Minor Characters:
'Fang' (Character Sheet to come): Grey's best friend, used to work together conjuring ideas for books, and scripts for local plays.

Heather (Character sheet to come): Grey's Sister, grew up together in Wales.

Personality: Grey was born into a rather wealthy family, along with his sister, whom was born only minutes before Grey. They both grew up together, giving Grey a sort of 'playful' attitude that kicked in when he became excited. But that sooned changed after his sister nearly died when she moved to far out into the street. (Continue this later.)

Outbrake: See story above

Before Outbrake: Prefer not to do one.

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:45 am

Alright, first post is up.

IC Thread

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!