Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Future Adrift (OOC/Sign-ups)

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Future Adrift (OOC/Sign-ups)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 pm

IC Thread: http://www.roleplaygateway.com/the-future-adrift-t38120.html

In the year 2139, a tired Earth was reeling from war. The breakout of the Third World War altered the surface of the world permanently with weapons beyond anything the soldiers of centuries before held in the worst of nightmares. Any country unable to sustain itself against the nuclear winter was quickly enveloped into chaos, leaving only the most advanced of nation-states standing. The United Federation of States (formerly North America and Great Britain), the Eurasian Alliance (Germany, France, Spain, and Russia), and Panoriental Territories (China, India, and Japan) all emerged as the three controlling world powers.

Still, Earth was no longer fit to survive the conflict. Radioactive contamination of the unshielded areas was quickly destroying what was left of the world’s natural resources and the technology that protected the three powers could not support the large population. The leaders of the world turned to the heavens for an answer.

For the United Federation of States, that answer came in the form of three massive ships designed to find a new hope somewhere in the stars. The UFS Kennedy, Roosevelt, and Churchill were the pinnacle of modern engineering. Each capable of holding a population up to 1,200 each, the ships were launched in three separate directions from Earth, all headed to distant stars in the hope of one day reaching a world where humanity would settle and someday live on. The pioneers boarded the ship knowing that it would take far longer than their own lifetime to reach a destination, pinning the hope of new life on their grandchildren and further down the line.

The pioneers of the UFS Kennedy are our ancestors. Their hopes live on in our story.

Welcome to The Future Adrift! This sci-fi story should be a tremendous amount of fun. We’re looking for talented writers that are looking to work with others to create a story for everyone to enjoy. This game is in a definitely futuristic setting and I’d like to encourage creativity among the players by leaving a lot about the Kennedy and the in-game reality open for imagination, but I will request changes to character applications if things get a little too out of hand. That said, apply and enjoy!

Code: Select all
Character Skeleton
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Occupation aboard the ship:[/b] (Options are almost endless, choices including medical staff, security personnel, flight crew, educators, etc. This is a generation ship that operates as a city over generations, so the opportunities are wide open.)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (Pictures and written descriptions are both accepted.)
[b]Personality/background:[/b]
[i]Personal history is optional since all the characters have been on the ship since birth. Feel free to build a back history between families and other characters as necessary.[/i]

Name: Taryn “Dodger” Bennett

Occupation aboard the ship: Computer/mechanical engineer

Appearance: Image

Personality/background: Dodger’s personality is as fiery as the red hair on her head. Raised as something of a tomboy, the girl has been trying (rather successfully, at that) to shed her given name from the day she began to walk. Unafraid to say anything and fire off her mouth at the worst moment, the stubborn girl has no problem going toe-to-toe with the childhood friends she once had that now proudly wear the uniform of the Kennedy’s security force.

Fiercely loyal to her friends and slow to let go of a grudge, Dodger slowly began to come into her own about the time she hit the age of seventeen, beginning to look at the men of her metallic world as something other than another obstacle. As passionate in her personal life as she is in her work, Dodger is a determined young woman that has no problem expressing herself or making her intentions clear in any situation.
Last edited by SuperVixen on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: The Future Adrift (OOC/Sign-ups)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:46 pm

This sounds like a ton of fun. I'd love to join.

But I have questions.

1. What year would the RP take place? I know you said 2139 before, but it's been several generations since the ships took off, no?

2. What exactly would security personnel be doing? Are they just kinda the "police" of the ship?

3. Do the people on the ships have any idea what condition Earth is in? Is there anyway of communicating with Earth and/or the other ships?

4. Are the ships really going anywhere, or are they just kinda wandering aimlessly, searching for habitable planets?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:36 am

1. What year would the RP take place? I know you said 2139 before, but it's been several generations since the ships took off, no?

The game will being in 2238, the ship's population preparaing to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of the Kennedy's launch.

2. What exactly would security personnel be doing? Are they just kinda the "police" of the ship?

The security personnel act as a two-fold operation. First of all, they are the police force of the ship and deal with all related issues. Second, they continue to train and prepare in the event that the ship finally finds a debarkation point. At that point, the security force would be a spearhead group that would secure the idea in the case of native life or any other issues that may arise. They see themselves as the elite of the ship and those that make it into their ranks are fairly few.

3. Do the people on the ships have any idea what condition Earth is in? Is there anyway of communicating with Earth and/or the other ships?

The idea is that this is prior to the development of faster-than-light drives which would make space travel much more viable. Communication can be sent between Earth and the ships, but only in basic text information and the delay between sending a signal and receiving a response is months, increasing as they travel farther from Earth.

4. Are the ships really going anywhere, or are they just kinda wandering aimlessly, searching for habitable planets?

The ship has a vast number of one-way "scout" probes that are sent to any potentially-viable surfaces. The initial directions of the ships were chosen based on long-range speculation of researchers regarding what stars held the highest possibility of supporting planets suitable for colonization.

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:53 am

Name: Dr. Malcolm Cael

Occupation aboard the ship: Medical Staff, primary physician

Appearance:Image

Personality/background: The grandfather of the one of the original physicians to board theKennedy, Malcolm let a generation of the family skip the given trade before delving into the practice himself. An calm-natured and easy-going man naturally, Malcolm Cael was born with the perfect disposition for a doctor.

Quick to disarm the situation with the flash of a smile and a laid-back approach to any problem, Malcolm’s personal life is one that, frankly, doesn’t exist. A man obsessed with his work, Malcolm’s practice dealing with the day-to-day ails and injuries of his shipmates often takes second chair to his research trying to prepare solutions for both the inherited sense of developed “cabin fever” becoming apparent in much of the population and also the sure-to-come problems facing the first men and women to set foot off the ship in over a century.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lycos on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:02 am

Name: Gabe Johnston Image
Occupation aboard the ship: Security Officer
Personality/background: Gabe is a calm and collected individual who tries to see the up-side in any situation. He is confident in his abilities and is intelligent, but mostly spends his time walking around the Kennedy relaxing. He doesn't take his work vary seriously and often goes out to have fun.

Gabe comes from a long line of involvement in government and armed forces. While his parents were roughly strict, Gabe still found a way to slack off and enjoy himself while also studying. He is an expert in both ranged and melee combat, but now finds it all the training pointless as he now only has to deal with the occasional vandalism.
Last edited by Lycos on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
All anyone wants is a normal life and a cool car... most people settle for the car.

Lycos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:43 am

@ Jag: Accepted. Thanks.

@ Lycos: Absolutely love the character, just one question. Is there a reason that he has the same last name as Dodger? I didn't know if you were playing on something that wasn't explained the profile of if it was a random coincidence. If you were thinking of making them siblings, I'd be okay with that. I just wanted to check. Either way, you're accepted.

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lycos on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:50 am

I did not notice that. I'll change it.

Lycos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:04 pm

I know that this is stolen from a show, but I've never watched it and I like the look of these uniforms. For those of you that will be playing of member of the Security Force, here is the general duty uniform they wear. Again, not many people make it into the Force and they consider themselves to be a cut above, so wearing this is a sign of authority (to some) and a sense of entitlement.

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blue Wind on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Every good ship needs a captain.

Name: Amelian Laforet (La-For-ey)

Occupation aboard the ship: Captain of the UFS Kennedy

Appearance: Amelian has black hair and dark emerald eyes. She stands at about Five foot four inches. She is a curvy but fit looking woman for her small stature. Commonly, she is caught wearing a red and black/gray uniform. On her face she has a family tattoo around the edge of her left eye. It is a pale blue that meshes with her naturally pale skin.

( Look what I found. )

Personality/background: Amelian is a gentle, caring individual when it comes to the people of her ship. It has become a family legacy for controlling the interests of the ship. When it comes to times of crisis, she is exacting and obviously knows she's the one in control of hundreds of lives. Although her father taught her 'no sacrifice, no victory' she draws the line at letting anyone die.
As a young child, she was somewhat groomed to take over the ship from her father. He had been a bit of a dictator but nothing beyond extremely strict rules without due cause. Usually hidden behind Security officials, she knew little to no one and was not given the time for friends. As a result of this, she tends to be awkward in personal situations. However, she has come to trust a few people aboard the ship such as the Ship's Medical doctor and a couple of the engineers. Although she is wary of the Ship Security now, she still lets them do what they have to in order to ensure the safety of everyone onboard the ship. Amelian is the type of person who would willingly take off the clothing of the captain in favour for the less flashy garb of the average person aboard the ship's many levels.

Between her and the workaholic Doctor, Malcolm Cael, it's a rather awkward thing. Although usually, because of their lack of a normal earthly environment, certain medical issues did arise in Amelian's family. The very such thing that had caused her father's death. With the fear of the captain gaining such a thing, many of the ship's top security officials demanded that she immediately go under round the clock supervision. Granted that Amelian detests such constant attention, again, she will always put the needs of her people over her own desires.

Currently, Amelian works on searching for somewhere safe and habitable for their ship to land. Although they have run across many planets, as human nature is, not many of the individuals on the ship got along with the odd looking locals. Therefore, she seeks an uninhabited, but humanly habitable planet. She knows that the longer the people survive on the ship, the shorter the time it is for the ship to survive.

( I think I'll stop before I write a novel. )
Last edited by Blue Wind on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't have a victory if you don't know defeat.

Blue Wind
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:50 pm

@ Blue Wind: Accepted on a condition. 34 is a tad on the young end for the captain of the ship, but I think you've explained the position sufficiently enough regarding the legacy of her father. With that in mind, though, she's going to be surrounded and probably depend heavily on senior flight crew members that are older and more experienced than she.

With that in mind, there's a pretty good chance that a lot of people would feel that she's not the most qualified person for the job. It won't be much an issue, but there might be a few feelings of resentment. This could come into play with a major plot point that I would like to introduce once we have a few more characters.

As long as you're okay with both of those and Jag doesn't mind the close connection with his character, I'm thrilled to have you!

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:53 pm

I love the idea. They are close enough in age that they would have known each other growing up on the ship. In fact, we could specify that Malcolm's father was a flight officer, giving them a chance to have shared some history prior to their own adult lives. I'm game.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blue Wind on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Well, that was kind of the point my friend. She has been trained for the position her entire life, yes, but some I do admit might look down upon her because of her youth. She had the position thrust upon her on her father's death, she didn't choose it at her own accord. I probably could've explained that a little better.

And awesome Jag, that sounds like a great idea. n_n; I didn't mean to drop something in your lap like that, but it seemed like a good idea when I was writing it.

Blue Wind
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:11 pm

I had the feeling that you already were planning that into your character, sometimes I just feel the need to check and make sure.

Decision time, team. We're getting close to putting up the IC thread and we need to decide if we are going to put up an IC thread in the traditional sense or use the new roleplay tab. Any thoughts?

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:13 pm

I'll have a sheet up in a jiffy, by the way.

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:10 pm

Sorry to double post, but I have another question.

How exactly do the people onboard the ships get food and water?

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:59 pm

I haven't defined a lot of the technical aspects of life for a number of reasons. First of all, I want all the writers in the game to be able to have a level of input and creativity that adds ot the game. Second, I don't deal with a lot of those things for the same reason that some of the bigger sci-fi systems didn't touch them -- there's really no need to go into detail on how a replicator works.

We could go from a high-tech replication system to as low-tech as an actual agricultural production line.

The general idea, in my opinion, isn't that they have a completely unlimited supply of anything and everything that they ever wanted. It's not the Star Trek idea of just walking up to a black box and having anything you desire appear. At the same time, I don't think our population is just eating some grey goo constantly.

To answer your question...I have no answer.

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:24 pm

astoryandaprayer wrote:I haven't defined a lot of the technical aspects of life for a number of reasons. First of all, I want all the writers in the game to be able to have a level of input and creativity that adds ot the game. Second, I don't deal with a lot of those things for the same reason that some of the bigger sci-fi systems didn't touch them -- there's really no need to go into detail on how a replicator works.

We could go from a high-tech replication system to as low-tech as an actual agricultural production line.

The general idea, in my opinion, isn't that they have a completely unlimited supply of anything and everything that they ever wanted. It's not the Star Trek idea of just walking up to a black box and having anything you desire appear. At the same time, I don't think our population is just eating some grey goo constantly.

To answer your question...I have no answer.

When you see my character, you'll get why I wanted to know.
EDIT: Here she is.
Hope the job is okay. Got a little creative with it.

Name:
Sophie Germaine
Occupation aboard the ship:
Head of Design and Colonization. Basically, she runs construction and architectural design aboard the ship. She is responsible for housing, medical facilities, etc. Also, in the event that the ship reaches a habitable planet in her lifetime, she would be responsible for her duties there as well.
Appearance:
Click
Personality/background:
From the time she could talk, Sophie had always been good at planning. She could figure out solutions to problems that no one else would have ever thought of. To her, everything had to be in some sort of order, no matter what it was. Although it was time consuming, she realized that she could use her ideas and abilities to help people, and when she left the ships college, she applied for her current position, and got it, most notably due to her "extreme passion for helping people and exceptional ability to organize the citizens of the UFS Kennedy", as stated by her predecessor.

Contrary to many other people on the ship, Sophie cares deeply about her job. She believes that whatever she does, it needs to benefit every single person, not just a select few. All decisions she makes must benefit the ship as a whole. Sophie employs many people to help her find out what needs to get done, and often times she will even travel the ship, asking the people what they feel needs to be done on the ship.

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 am

@ HeartClutch: Accepted. This is another situation when I would normally caution about the relative young age of the character given the important job, but I think you've done a good job explaining how she would come into that position and you realize the inherent dangers of how she will be perceived publicly for that reason.

Five characters in very different capacities throughout the ship. I would like to see some more writers, but I think we have reached a point where we can start the IC thread. I'll get it up this afternoon and post the link.

Also, anyone that would like to create a second character is permitted to do so.

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Baileeee on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:59 am

Name: Thespia Payne
Occupation aboard the ship: Hand to Hand Combat trainer?
Appearance: Image
Personality/background:Thespia's education level is fairly high, and her understandings of their case are quite clear. Thespia is a very determined girl that knows when to get serious; most of the time she is. Even though she has a 'responsible' reputation, she knows how to laugh and have a good time. Boys to her are objects, something that would take a great deal of hopping around and dancing for her to get to notice them. Loyal, but knows when to say no. Funny, but knows when to get serious.
Being born on the ship has had a great influence on how well behaved Thespia is. Her father was a Security Personelle, which meant he knew how to fight. She takes after her father in the body area;meaning she has a very slender and agile form. Her mother was a nurse, but she never looked into that as much as fighting. Her heart lays with her father and she hopes to follow in his footsteps.Well, sort of.
(I apologize for the shortness. Character sheets aren't a very good way for me to express the characters being.)

Baileeee
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lastnote on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:41 pm

not a bad idea.. Ill be working on a character today

Lastnote
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!