Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Future Adrift (OOC/Sign-ups)

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: The Future Adrift (OOC/Sign-ups)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:54 pm

@ Baileeee: To have that position, your character would have to be a full member of the Security Force. As long as you're okay with that, accepted and welcome the game!

The IC thread is up!

http://www.roleplaygateway.com/the-future-adrift-t38120.html

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Celedia on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:20 pm

Hello! I've been searching for a futuristic RP that isn't frighteningly pre-planned! =D

Name: Natalia "Nat" Forsent
Occupation aboard the ship: Lead Biotechnologist in charge of the departments of Food Science and Agriculture
Appearance: Image
Personality/background: Natalia is studious and mostly independent. She'd prefer spending time in the labs or horticultural departments than running around the ship in general. She tends to be on the sarcastic side if people actually get her to converse and tends to have a cynical view of the world. She has a Master in Science of Biomedical Informatics from the ship's university and her everyday routine consists of managing the dozen or so scientists beneath her as they work on projects ranging from Gene Therapy to Plant Hybridization. Her job allows her to work closely with other members of the crew, when appropriate.
Last edited by Celedia on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...you know we've fuckin' broken down as a society when people just explode in forests." ~Gasmask in The Unexplainable.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Celedia
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:50 pm

@ Celedia: Just a couple of minor issues. The entire population of the ship is somewhere around 1,200 (strict population control keeps things from getting out of hand including permits that have to be approved before anyone can have a child) make it likely that the staff of scientists would probably be closer to a dozen, maybe two dozen at the most.

Also, I think your character would be better suited handling the food science and agriculture items rather than both of them and medication. We've already got one character that's a main member of the medical staff with an established part of his character being research and trying to develop things on that side, so let's not spread our characters to cover too many things at once.

As long as you're okay with that, you're accepted. I'm starting to accept the age of characters and not be as ill-tempered about it. Thanks again to everyone for joining the game and feel free to post!

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Celedia on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:31 am

Ooh sorry my scope of the ship was off then! I was thinking massive! So most definitely, I won't argue with scaling it down!

Celedia
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:26 am

Some notes on the ship's hierarchy in terms of education.

All children on the ship must go through a basic elementary eduction that covers the main subjects and what you would expect for any elementary school education. Keep in mind that this ship was launched from a nation-state that consisted primarily of North America and Great Britain.

At the age of twelve, general aptitude tests are given and children (with their parents and/or guardians) nominate several classes and jobs for which they would like to train. Not everyone gets the job they wish and at times the assignments can cause a bit of irritation. For example, Dodger is a systems mechanic. In truth, she probably knows more about the inner workings of the ship and how to rig things more than flight crew engineers, but she did not perform well on her written aptitude tests and therefore didn't qualify for the higher-level position.

Instead of a formal training like one would find in a university, the training of new professionals in any job class works more like an apprentice system. For example, I talked with Eric (justcallmejag) in coming up with this system and he was already playing on the idea in his post by mentioning a younger doctor beneath Malcolm.

Anyway, I though that might be something to play off if anyone needs a bit of background for their characters. Let's get to posting!

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:12 am

Thinking about the age issue, it makes sense that most of the characters seem young for the positions in which they find themselves. After all, they are the direct descendents of people that were exposed to nuclear catastrophy and have been confined to the ship since birth. They're dealing with the slowly-couplng effects of the cabin fever and the fact that we're dealing with a limited population and very limited medical personnel and ability.

I would expect that, in this situation, the life expectancy for the average person would drop somewhere around 60 or so. That would make the jobs people have been given much more appropriate.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Name:
Noah Winchester
Occupation aboard the ship:
Head of Maintenance Crew (specifically the ship's engines and controls)
Appearance:
Noah can hardly be seen without some kind of cynical or sarcastic smirk on his face. His clothing and face are usually smudged by grease of some kind. His general attire is usually some kind of casual clothing worn under a mechanic's jumpsuit. He can also always be seen with his trusty tool-belt strapped on and sometimes with a face-guard should the ship's maintenance require welding or similar work. When he is not wearing a face-guard, he is wearing an old New York Yankees baseball cap (a sort of family heirloom) that he believes is a good luck charm.
Personality/background:
Noah presents himself as a "Car-guy" who claims he can fix anything with an engine running it, or even build a new vehical from the ground up. Winchester's most defining trait is his ability to crack jokes even in serious situations. This behavior often gets him labeled as being incapable of taking his rather important job seriously. Despite this, he is almost always credited as being a "hell of a mechanic" by his peers.

Born and raised onboard the Kennedy, Noah's family is infamous for being huge fans of racing. Pretty much every Winchester that's lived on the ship was a member of the maintenance crew at some point, viewing it as the "closest things to working on cars they'd ever get". The other infamous Winchester trait is their sense of humor (obviously where Noah got his personality from). Noah learned everything he knows about machines from his father, Robert (nicknamed Old Man Bobby), who was the Head of the Maintenance Crew before his son took over the position when he retired.

(He's basically Scotty in a nutshell)
Last edited by Xeynar on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xeynar
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Jag actually has a really good point. The residents on the ship live in cramped, hot, and dirty surroundings, so they probably wouldn't make it past 60 in the first place, so it makes sense that a lot of the jobs go to younger, more able-bodied people.

Anyway, I shall start writing a post now.

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lycos on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Personally I think this whole young experts thing is just away to be high in power and have a young character at the same time, but whatever you want to tell yourself...
All anyone wants is a normal life and a cool car... most people settle for the car.

Lycos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Lycos wrote:Personally I think this whole young experts thing is just away to be high in power and have a young character at the same time, but whatever you want to tell yourself...

The picture of my character that I used was actually taken a long time ago. She looks much older than that in real life.

I know, I'm a cheater. :P

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm

@ Protoman X: Accepted. That makes it so that Noah is Dodger's boss on the day to day level, although she has a bit of cross-application between the mechanics and the computerized elements of the ship as well.

@ Lycos: The more I think about it, the more plausible a lot of these situations are in terms of age. The ship has a very small population and Jag did a fair job of explaining how the life expectancy would be much lower than what we've come to expect today. Given the complications they are facing, it makes sense that they would have implemented mandatory retirement ages and constantly be training younger passengers for these roles to ensure that someone is always ready to fill the position and provide a crucial service.

Don't forget, anyone wishing to submit a second character is free to do so in this thread. Also, please post in the IC when you have a chance. Feel free to PM me if you need anything.

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:05 pm

What is the fastest way of communication aboard the ship? I mean, do we have phones, some sort of messaging system, etc?

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:11 pm

The ship has an extensive comm network that works like video intercoms. Also, personal communicators are available. Mostly, those belong the Flight Crew, Security Force, and Maintence Crew. I'm not so pick about these details so long as the technology doesn't get out of hand.

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Posted. 'Tis kinda long.

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 am

It's been quite a while since the last post in the IC thread and that was just announce that one of the game's major characters was dropping from the roster. Who is still around and willing to continue?

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm still in. My character just got punched in the face and walked into the clinic.

Not sure what to have her do now.

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm going to post and have Malcolm be alerted of it and respond. Since the character he was posting to dropped, he's free.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:38 am

Hey is there any space, heres my character.
If you're fill up feel free to tell me to disappear

Character Skeleton
Name: John Triton
Occupation aboard the ship: Quantum Physicist, focuses on space craft propulsion.
Appearance:
Green eyes and Tall.
Personality/background: Positively optimistic. Rather anti-social, preferring to interact with fellow scientists if at all. Spends most of his time preparing experiments which never take place and so he has a particular distrust of ship officers.
The Spice Melange occurs on only one planet in the entire universe.
The Planet Arrakis, also known as Dune.
He who controls Arrakis, controls the Spice. He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

Omnomnomnom

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SuperVixen on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:40 am

Character accepted, welcome to the game.

Everyone is free to submit a second character. If anyone is having trouble getting involved with the game or wants to set something up, feel free to talk about it here or PM me and I will do everything I can. Thanks!

SuperVixen
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:45 pm

I'll be gone for 3 days or so. Sorry.

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!