Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Ouranos

Ouranos

a part of “Ouranos”, a fictional universe by Xethyr.

A steampunk, skyworld fantasy.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Ouranos”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Ouranos

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xethyr on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:52 pm

This OOC thread is for generic OOC stuff: questions, lore clarifications, character creation questions, etc.
Last edited by Xethyr on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Xethyr
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Ouranos

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smith on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Whoa...this looks...AWESOME!

I'll start making a character later tonight!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Smith
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby rockPolotics on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Boy that was a lot of reading, but very enticing universe, a tad cliche, but still good quality.

Interesting roleplay, but i have a few questions first. 1. Do we have to worry about the characters made by previous roleplayers from the site? 2. If I missed it i apologize but, is there a specific character generation sheet, or do we just get the basics (name, age, descrip, past,etc)?

rockPolotics
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WadeJackel on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:31 pm

Cool, finally a place to use my Steampunk character.

WadeJackel
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xethyr on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 am

Oh heh. Didn't notice this OOC thread.

rockPolotics wrote:1. Do we have to worry about the characters made by previous roleplayers from the site?

Only the Six matter, and I'll find some way to add those particular characters to the lore. The rest of the characters are irrelevant. (That role-play died on that private forum pretty quickly.)

rockPolotics wrote:2. If I missed it i apologize but, is there a specific character generation sheet, or do we just get the basics (name, age, descrip, past,etc)?
There isn't a specific character sheet. Basic physiological description and equipment is fine. You can reveal as much of your character's background as you want. If you want that to be developed in the story, that's fine too.

Good to see some people are interested ^^

Xethyr
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WadeJackel on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 am

Might take me a day or two to read all that info though :)

WadeJackel
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brock10 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Any space for a merry merc with an eye patch, looking for hire??
"I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, bastards and broken things"-Tyrion Lannister.

Brock10
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smith on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm still workin' on my character, but I just wanted to say, the Lore was a VERY enjoyable read. Sated the nerd-lust of fantasy-information within me.

Good job :O

Smith
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby rockPolotics on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:12 pm

I have some more questions about the Ouranos universe.

1. Does real science apply? As in like textbook chemistry and physics. Cause I was thinking of doing something like removing (With destruction magic) A hydrogen atom from a compound and igniting it for an explosion.
2. When Aethus "floats" does it negate gravity, create an upward thrust, or some other method to stay afloat?
3. What are the limits to magic (both kinds)? For Creationists, are you limited to simply adding a certain kind(s) of energy? Or can one, in this universe, possibly manipulate any kind (Making sonic booms by changing sound energy, create glowing orbs with light energy)? Also (for Destroyers), what do they "destroy"? You said certain elements and substances can be removed, but is it only limited to removing physical particles from a mix, or can you do things like remove heat energy from a system to freeze water (which would be awesome, ice attack baby)?
4. Are their small air crafts in this? Like fighter type planes for quick skirmishes or for taking down larger warships. If not, would it be ok for me to invent them XD? But the realism in my designs will vary depending on the answer to Q#2.
5. This once kind of ties in with Q#1 and 3. Can matter/energy be created or destroyed? Because I'm confused where Creationists get the energy from.
6. I'd like some more details on Aether. Is it malleable? Is it brittle? Can it be shaped? Can it be smelted with other metals to make alloys that share similar qualities? How does it create a high pressure area when heated? How does it float when heated underwater?
7. Lastly, What other elements (of the periodic table) exist in this world?

rockPolotics
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smith on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Whoa...good questions, dude.

I just kind of assumed that at least a few of our elements existed in my sheet...also, I just submitted my character!

Smith
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xethyr on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:08 am

rockPolotics wrote:I have some more questions about the Ouranos universe.

Good questions indeed.

1. Real world chemistry and physics exist; however, since it is a fantasy roleplay with magic, magic bends the natural laws. Also, the periodic table and atomic bonding aren't known to the people of Ouranos (most physics and chemistry are neither well known nor well studied). I too thought of magic as just manipulating chemistry and physics. The magic comes in with the supernatural affecting of worldly laws.

2. It negates gravity. For airships, Aethus is used both for buoyancy and to produce pressurized air (like that inside guns), which is used to rotate turbines attached to propellers that create thrust for the airship.

3. The magic comes in with being able to spontaneously add or remove energy to something at will (How? --Magic). Destructive magic is based on taking energy (by spontaneously breaking chemical bonds) and storing it within oneself. Because one has a limited internal energy capacity, one cannot infinitely draw energy from the world. Constructive magic is based on adding energy to something. However, this does not mean creating chemical bonds to store energy. Adding energy to start a combustion reaction (aka make a fireball) is constructive.

Destructive and constructive can reach the same effects for certain things; destructive magic can spontaneously break bonds and absorb that energy, while constructive can also use energy to break bonds. The difference is that destructive is able to take energy without an energy input, whereas constructive always requires an energy input.

I suppose conservation of energy still exists. For simplicity sake, the source of energy for adding energy comes from oneself. (Of course there will be loopholes everywhere since I'm trying to merge pseudoscience with magic.)

Manipulating to create your sonic booms or orbs of light or freezing water will be possible. But because magic relies on one's own "internal energy" (sorry for being vague), crashing continents would require too much energy and hence is impossible without a massive army of magi.

4. Yes there are. Their frames/hulls can be all iron or iron and wood.

5. I guess I answered that in #3. Conservation of mass and energy exists. Gotta' love this pseudoscience.

6. (Thanks for this question. I didn't talk about Aethus the mineral itself much.)
I added these sentences to the "Regarding Aethus Technology": Its physical properties are like that of a rock—hard and not malleable. It also has a very high melting temperature, much higher than any metal, so efforts to mass produce Aethus-infused alloys have thus far failed (though magi at the Spire have succeeded in making small quantities of Aethus-infused iron).

How does Aethus do what it does?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Magic lol?

7. All the naturally occurring elements on Earth also naturally occur in Ouranos.

Xethyr
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby rockPolotics on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:14 am

Hmm, ya i kind of assumed it'd get down to the whole "Magic, it works." concept. Well, thanks for all the answers.

There goes my Aethus sword idea... Not like it would do anything but...

rockPolotics
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xethyr on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:20 am

I tried to incorporate some mechanics into the world, but yeah magic without explanation is definitely still the foundation for all the mechanics and technology lore of Ouranos. It is a fantasy roleplay after all.

Your aethus sword could still be there to look pretty.

Xethyr
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smith on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:51 am

All my questions have been answered. Kewl.

TELL ME IF ANYTHING'S WRONG WITH MAH CHARACTER!

;-; i'll fix it...I swear...although I rather like her history...

Smith
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby rockPolotics on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:19 am

Oh that reminds me, one last question (maaaybe). How intense is the glow or Aethus being heated and does it scale proportionally to the amount of heat?

rockPolotics
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ezarael on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48 am

Hmm, this is starting to pique my interest. I'll definitely be checking out the Lore.

By the by Smid, what happened to your avatar man? It's kind of...creeping me out man.
Isn't it strange how Decidedly we
will chasE such an iNdefinable concept
That cannot truly descrIbe us no
maTter how hard we trY?
-Insert Credit Here

Ezarael
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Donated! Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smith on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:44 am

You know you love her, Eza. Don't deny it.

Everyone loves her.

Everyone, yo.

Foshizzle.

Smith
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xethyr on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:16 pm

rockPolotics wrote:How intense is the glow or Aethus being heated and does it scale proportionally to the amount of heat?
The glow is proportional to heat (Celsius will be the temperature measure in Ouranos). Aethus heated to water's boiling temperature is enough for a fist sized rock of Aethus to act as a standard incandescent light bulb. Only problem with aethus lanterns is that they float when not held down.

Sorry if I'm slow at times with characters or locations; I get randomly busy with IRL. (Still need to fill out those locations. Bah.)

Another note that I forgot to add: the dress style of Ouranos is Victorian. Magi typically wear suits (and top hats), not robes. They also carry ceremonial sabers at their sides, and often they wear black or white gloves. City structures are also like those of late 1800s (I pictured Lomba like late 1800s American industrial cities like Pittsburgh and Chicago).

Army officers wear WWI-esque uniforms. Armies also do not yet use all firearms, for innovations in metal working have allowed the creation of iron breastplates that can withstand most bullets shot from farther than about four meters, which, though not fully in melee range, is enough for pikes to still be utilized. Sabers and rapiers are still common, as the current fighting is mostly revolves around close quarters on airships, between either imperial police patrols and pirates or merchants and pirates.

Xethyr
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smith on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Sooooooo...are we still doin' this, or what?

Smith
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xethyr on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Currently we lack characters. Only 3, if rockPolotic responds to the PM and adds some physical description. So it may be delayed for a bit, maybe a week.

Xethyr
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!