Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Running Great Games: Adapting to Your Players

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Running Great Games: Adapting to Your Players

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Remæus on Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi all! I thought it'd be a good time to start covering some of my "lessons learned" for the Multiverse, which includes ideas that you might be able to incorporate in your own games and Universes.

Once you've gone through the hard work of acquiring active players, keeping them engaged is now your primary concern! They've come to your universe to experience something they couldn't find elsewhere, so above all else is ensuring activity — the longer people have to wait, the more likely they'll move on to something else!

Engaging your players early with content gives them the opportunity to respond, getting everyone into play as soon as they're able. By taking note of their style and interests, you can adapt the story to respond to their expectations, keeping them interested and engaged for a steady, lively roleplay.

Some things to look out for:

• Post Length — if someone responds to an essay-length post with a single sentence, try shortening your next post to something like 50% of the original! It encourages the other player to lengthen their post to meet you in the middle, and you can repeat this process as more and more players join to find something that works for everyone.
  • Subjects of Interest — keep an eye out for character motives and intentions! If you pick up on something they're keen on pursuing, consider having your character offer up some information to help them on their quest.

I'll post more later, and maybe aggregate these thoughts into a collection. For now that's all I have, but feel free to ask questions below!
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: Running Great Games: Adapting to Your Players

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:22 am

Hey, man, welcome to the site! But maybe cool it with the links to flash games, OK?

As an Ambassador and Moderator, my two jobs are as follows: As an Ambassador, to help bring you into the community and help you get in on all the cool stuff we're doing, even help you make awesome stuff of your own. As a Moderator, I'm here to make sure you don't do stuff that breaks our rules, which are mostly common courtesy made explicit.

Out of possibly morbid curiosity, as it is very late where I live...what were you looking for when you found us? Whatever the case, I'm glad you did!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!