Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Whaler's Luck OOC

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Whaler's Luck OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:47 pm

This rp is based off of Moby Dick and the sinking of the whaling ship Essex with a fantasy twist.

A world much like our own during the 1800s, same nations, same human race, same landmasses, same great need for whale oil. However this world is different, merfolk are real though they are uncommon and monsters lurk in the deep.

The rp will focus on the Yankee Whaler Jerobaom and the lives of her crew. You can join as any member of the crew (harpooner, a mate, carpenter, standard crewman, ecta) save the Captain, he’s an NPC played by me, your friendly neighborhood Irish Wolf.

The Fantasy twist

Merfolk: a race of humanoid beings with human intelligence. They look human for the most part with a strange blue/green tint to their skin and flaps of skin between all their digits. These people living in small, city-state like societies, around an island if they can help it, mostly in the southern seas and oceans. With a second eyelid, they can see underwater, much like crocodiles. No hair grows on their bodies, other then on top of their heads and eyebrows. Merfolk can hold their breath for twenty minutes and come up to breath like whales and dolphins. If they need to swim fast, they lock their legs together and their arms to their sides and swim like dolphins do. Merfolk can spend about half a day out of the water before they start getting sick, afterwards they must spend about a day in or around the water. They can have sexual intercourse with a human but a Merfolk that can create a child with a human partner is very (and I mean very very) rare. Half-breeds are basically humans with one gift from their Merfolk parent (like they only get the second eyelid or the webbed fingers and toes or can hold their breath for twenty minutes).

Selkie: a race of humanoid beings with human intelligence. They are similar to the Merfolk and Humans in the general shape of their bodies but are covered in short soft gray fur. They live in the colder northern waters. The “feet” of the Selkie was in truth flippers and they can swim very fast. They live in large colonies like seals and breath air. Like Merfolk, Selkie can have sexual intercourse with humans but unlike Merfolk, they cannot create children with humans.

Sea Serpent: large snakes with dragon like heads and scales. Most rarely grow larger then sixteen feet but some of the deep-water species can grow large enough for four of the retiles to threaten a sperm whale. Most are even tempered and can been seen around coastal villages and following ships. They eat scraps thrown into the water or hunt for fish and crustaceans. The large ones are uncommon and mostly seen as young serpents. The teeth and scales of the large deep-water ones are prized.

Kraken: a large octopus like monster that is able to break apart or pull ships down into the depths. They are rarely seen and few in number, living mostly at the bottom of deep water trenches with giant squid.

The Harpooner’s Guild
Though it’s not an official thing, all harpooners are in the guild. They have their own quarters in the bow of any whaling ship and keep to themselves at night. They as a rule do not have to do deck work but often do. They keep any secret they are told among themselves and will tell no one outside of the guild. Captains that stick their noses into Harpooner’s business often will lose all the ship’s harpooners at the next port and not be able to hire new ones. They also sometimes will take shipmate into their quarters if they can be trusted.

Women
Women aren’t allowed on ships as crew and any that do join must hid their true selves. Often they seek out the Harpooners on whaling ships for help. Most Harpooners don’t ask a price for their help (but some stare and grin)

Positions
Captain: Eliot Nettleton as played by Irish Wolf
First Mate:
Second Mate:
Third Mate: Seth Davis as played by ArtistGayle
Harpooner (Captain’s):
Harpooner (First Mate’s): Starbuck Roxbury as played by Irish Wolf
Harpooner (Second Mate’s): Fridtjof Nansen as played by Phedre
Harpooner (Third Mate’s): Joan "Jonathan" West Thomas as played by Jadeling Hawkins
Deckhand: Adeline Trace Marcus (Trace) as played by Aslin
Deckhand: Willoughby Jinks as played by daughterofdon

Character sheets
Name:
Race:
Appearance:
Position:
Bio:

My Characters

Name: Starbuck Roxbury

Race: human

Appearance: a big man, standing about six feet tall, having a barrel like chest and large arms. His skin was once fair but as darkened somewhat from years at sea into a nice tan. His face is broad and good natured, with light blue eyes that seem to twinkle. His dirty blond hair is shoulder length and pulled back into a pony tail with a bushy pair of muttonchops on his checks. Tribal tattoos covering his arms, gifts from the natives of the South Seas. They had placed on his arms as a symbol of his becoming part of their family and proving his worth as a warrior/hunter. Dresses chiefly in black trousers, leather shoes and a white shirt.

Nationality: American

Position: First Mate’s Harpooner

Bio: David was born in Nantucket and raised on stories of mighty whales and other sea beasties from old salts. Following in his father’s footsteps, who had gone to sea at a young age, David started his journey to becoming a harpooner as a deckhand aboard a whaler, hauling cargo aboard ship and scrubbing the deck. During his first voyage, the one of the ship’s harpooners, a savage from Fiji, took an interest in the young lad and took him under his wing.

Name: Eliot Nettleton

Race: Human

Appearance: a gaunt man standing taller then most men at six and a half feet tall, his eyes seem sunken into his head and overshadowed by the sockets. Despite being a sailor, his skin is pale and his thinning raven black hair is pull back into a tight ponytail. The ponytail seems the pull the skin of his face tight across the bones. He has a bum left leg from a childhood trauma and drags his left foot when he walks. Eliot dresses in black trousers, thick-soled black shoes and a black coat. The coat is left open and whoever looks at him can see scars shinning on his pale hairless chest, running from right shoulder to left hip. If you can stare long enough, you could count his ribs on Eliot’s thin chest. When he paces on the quarterdeck, one can hear the heavy footsteps and the clamp of the thick-soled shoes.

Position: Captain

Bio: to be reviled. But his voyages are always very profitable for the crew and despite his creepy looks, sailor are willing to join his crew.
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Re: Whaler's Luck OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Capslock on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Oooh, this looks interesting. I'd like the first mate...I'll post my character sheet tomorrow if that's okay.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Capslock
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Name: Victoria Calder
Appearance: Vicky has dirty blond hair that reached to about the middle of her back. She often has it pulled up in a braid, but will have it fashionably down when attending social functions. She also has stunning cobalt blue eyes that make her feelings a bit transparent. At 5’4 she’s about average on the height scale, and has a very feminine physic. Victoria also has a bit of a golden tan to her ski, as she’s spent the last five years living in India.
Position: Daughter of a Spice merchant.
Bio: Victoria is the daughter of a fairly wealthy spice trader from New Port, and lived with him in India after her mother died of fever. Do to this setting, Vicky gained a rather adventurous nature, and since of ingenuity. Now at a marrying age however, Vicky was being sent back to New Port Connecticut to live with her Aunt Beatrice and find a respectable husband. Marriage however, is the last thing on her mind, and boards the ship Delta half-heartedly. Poetically, the Delta never makes it to New Port, encountering a freak storm blowing them off course, and Victoria overboard, with a good portion of the ship. Miraculously though, Victoria managed to hang onto a large enough piece of drift wood from the ship not to drown, and was fished out by local fishermen of the near by island. The Delta unfortunately was not docked at that island. Now alone, penniless, and desperate to get home, Victoria is willing to enlist any help she can find to get home to New Port, even Whalers.

Name: Kina
Race: Merfolk
Appearance: Kina has Midnight black hair that reaches to the middle of her back, and stormy sea green eyes. Her skin is a light blueish tint.
Position: Member of a Merfolk city state.
Bio: Kina is exceedingly curious, and at times to a fault. She knows little about her past, as she was found alone as a child, and adopted in, but has always hated violent storms like the one she was found after. Kina has a very caring personality, and feels the need to care for all those around her who can not care for themselves. Kina also loves swimming in open waters, and finds it very freeing to her.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:01 am

Oh, I must be a mermaid! Koh, is it okay with you if my character already knows Kina? What if she's the one that raised the foundling mermaid?

Name: Nuliajuk
Race: Merfolk
Appearance: All of the characteristics of her race, as well as having dark, dark hair that looks blue when seen through light-diffused water. She is also missing all of her fingers, which were severed at the knuckles. Because of her lack of digits, her long hair has grown very tangled—a great, sopping mass of knotted hair, kelp and sea creatures. Her bare abdomen sags from having mer-children, along with a scar from a nasty run-in with a kraken. Clearly, she has seen better days.
Position: Matron in Merfolk city state
Bio: Her severed fingers were the result of a betrayal by a human long ago, which she seldom speaks about. As she has grown older, Nuliajuk has learned that it is not easy to be an aged mermaid. Once a respected and politically active merlady, she has retired to and become more of a grumpy recluse. After her two children have grown and left, the greatest light in her life is young orphan Kina, whom she was responsible for finding (unless Kohananinja wants otherwise).
Last edited by daughterofdon on Fri May 01, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:49 am

Yeah I love that Idea DoD! ^-^

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:18 am

Koh and DoD, your both in, I will have the IC thread open this afternoon.

Edit: thrice cursed no double posting feature. Sorry for the delay but I had to help me mate find a new place to live. Anyways, the IC is now open here: whaler-luck-t20959.html

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Hey IW, would it be cool if I joined again with my character Joan/John (I think that was her name)? And could she already be apprenticed to Starbuck, so we don't re-write everything that happened already? She was a fun character...I'll have to look way back into the past for her character sheet.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Sure Jade, I would love to have Joan/John back

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:01 pm

Awesome :)

Here's her old profile:

Character sheets
Name: Joan "Jonathan" West Thomas
Appearance: Light brown hair cropped just around her neck and pulled into a small ponytail. Grayish blue eyes, weathered skin. Her frame is small and wiry, which makes disguising herself as a man all the easier. She also has a long gash (a rather impressive scar) that runs from the root of her nose to her jaw. Rumors abound as to how she received it. She wears very loose clothing and often is seen with a face shadowing cap.
Position: Harpooner, apprentice
Bio: (optional) Very little is known about John. It is rumored that he joined up on the ship after slaughtering his old employer in a drunken rage. It is also rumored that he was once a king in Africa. What is known for certain is that he has always been proficient in his skills, and never seems interested in joining the boys for a run in the brothel. He was promoted to a harpooner's station around the same time Starbuck Roxbury was hired on, and was fortunate enough to have the seasoned harpooner take him on as an apprentice.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Welcome to the game Jade.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aslin on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 am

Hey Irish Wolf, I would love to join this : ) I'll post up my character's profile later on. I wanna work on my character a bit.

Aslin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aslin on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:16 am

Name: Adeline Trace Marcus (Trace)
Appearance: Rather on the lanky side, Adeline has a tanned complexion that matches rather nicely with her straight midnight black hair. Her gray eyes, fringed with thick eyelashes are an interesting feature of hers. Adorned in simple garments like a cotton pants and knee high black boots, Adeline has been able to disguise herself as a man. To aid in that disguise, she had to cut her waist long hair to a very short boy cut that frames her face giving her a young boyish look. She is often called a pretty boy with her large gray eyes and wind swept hair.
Position: DeckHand
Bio: Trace is rather quiet and other than one or two of the crew on board, he tends to keep to himself. However he has been caught more than once or twice staring at the harpoons, obviously interested in learning the task but never getting the chance. When anybody asks Trace a question, he has replied only in grunts or single words, never looking at the person straight in the eye. There was once that he had almost been found out as when they were on sea, he had been on deck, singing (a talent she had been gifted with). He had assumed there was no one around when he had sung his favorite tune but one of the deckhands had heard. Trace managed to cover that blunder up by claiming there were sirens around. Thankfully the deckhand had believed him and from that day on, Trace was that much more careful about what he did.

Aslin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Yay, Jadeling joined!

I feel like we need more male characters though. Would it be okay if I invented a crewman in addition to my menopausal mermaid? I'm thinking I want him to be the cook...

And I'll see about posting IC sometime. :)

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Looking good so far.

Man, I need to find a few more guys for this game. I shall contact Pappy.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:30 pm

Yay ^-^! We do need more guys, I'll ask around, and see who replies.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:50 pm

Oh and yes you make make a second male character DoD

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Capslock on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Hey, I'm sorry but when I posted here I was dumb and didn't realize that this week was tech week for my play irl. So I'm not going to have time to rp (or do anything else). Someone else feel free to take the first mate. :\

Capslock
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Adeline Trace Marcus is accepted and sorry to hear about that Capslock, hopefully we can have you after this week is over.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:04 pm

dum de dum dum...*waiting for others to post so we can get this Rp of the ground* :)

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Indeed Koh, I know we have at least two sailors that could post aboard the bonnie ship Jerobaom and we're in the tropics , so that merfolk can post.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!