Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A World's End

A World's End

a part of “A World's End”, a fictional universe by Asperser.

Every year the sound of a bell can be heard from the horizon. It is said that those who follow the sound are taken to a faraway place, a paradise where life and death do not exist, to a time when the world was rich and vibrant with life.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “A World's End”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] A World's End

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:39 pm

The Story

In the distant future the world is a desolate wasteland. Cities now stand in ruins and humanity lives on, faced with starvation and strife. Every year the sound of a bell can be heard from the horizon. It rings once, then twice, calling those who would listen to its eerie melody. It is said that those who follow the sound are taken to a faraway place, a paradise where life and death do not exist, to a time when the world was rich and vibrant with life. One amongst thousands who make it to this place is then chosen to become god. Their wish made true, the soil made fertile, or if they desired, the massacre of those who remain.

You are one of the few who have heard the bell. What happens next is up to you.

Introduction

Welcome to A World’s End RP. You play a character in a post-apocalyptic world who for one reason or another decides to follow the mysterious sound of a bell which can only be heard once a year.

The objective of this RP is to complete five trials called "Reflections" which will pit your character against others for the ultimate goal of becoming god. These trials are located in the "Realm of Spirits" an alternate world where the character’s soul is taken to after following the sound of the bell. The character arrives in this alternate world wearing the clothes they had before they arrived, carrying a weapon that represents their personality.

The trials themselves are a place such as a city or a small island that has objectives the character must fulfill to move on to the next stage. As one progresses through the trials the objectives will be increasingly difficult to complete.

Character Sheet

Everyone starts out with abilities and powers of an average human and will overtime build up their own specialized powers and equipment. I will allow people to post pictures for their character’s physical description. Once approved you are good to post when the trials begin.

Sample Character Sheet
Name:
Random Statistics: (Height, weight, eye color, dislikes, likes, etc….)
Physical Description:
Personality Description:

Powers, Abilities, and Skills: (You begin with one [level 1] ability or power.)
Equipment: (You begin with one [level 1] equipment and however many [Level 0] equipment you wish.)
History: (At least three paragraphs about what your character doing before he or she was whisked away or their general history.)

Power Scale
Level 0||Items that give no special benefits. Examples of these are clothes and trinkets such as a pocket watch.
Level 1||These are general skills that any average person can acquire through time and training. Competency in marksmanship, martial arts, trap making, tracking fall into this category. Weapons are limited to primitive melee and range weapons. (Swords, Knives, Bows and Arrows)
Level 2||Genius level, one in a million, mastery of a particular martial art or marksmanship. The start of magical or supernatural powers, like sparking a little leaf on fire. Primitive guns(like muskets) and ancient flame throwers can now be used.
Level 3|| You can now throw fireballs and other simple spells though expect to be exhausted if used frequently. Telekinesis is available to the point that it can stop a bullet and characters are able to lift objects several times their weight. All manner of modern weapons are now available, mines, sniper rifles, and night vision goggles.
Level 4||Magic is at the level where you can fire homing fire balls, summon familiars to aid you in combat, and perform complex rituals which can trap and entangle your foes. Psychics can now create metaphysical weapons out of thin air and enchanted weapons such as guns and swords are available.
Level 5||You can destroy and create whole mountains at a snap of your fingers. The skies darken at your presence and technology is so advanced its almost magical. This is the highest level anyone can achieve in this RP and expect it to be hard to get.

The Reward System

At the end of each trial players will be given a set of new abilities or weapons based on the criteria below. I will send a private message to players at the end of the trial on how many and what level of powers and weapons they can get. Afterwards, they are to send me a private message of their newly acquired powers and equipment for me to approve. Players do not need to update their character profile once their powers and equipment are approved. This allows people to keep their new talents hidden for the next trial.

Activity: Activity is based on how active you are in the thread. This has nothing to do with the number of posts. Rather it's how well you developed your character in the trial.

Creativity: Creativity is how your character tackles problems he or she faces. This may be taking a different approach to battle or simply finding a way to cross a river.

Combat Prowess: Combat Prowess is how well you fight other players and npcs. It takes a look at your abilities, weapons, tactics, and how well you take into consideration your opponent's actions.

Description: Description is essential so that the readers are never confused as to where or what your character is doing. Fanciful and superfluous words are discouraged. Clarity is what players should strive for.

The Rebirth System

When a character dies their body bursts apart in a flash of light and pieces of their soul fly outwards as iridescent globes. These globes congregate in special locations in each trial called "Sanctuaries" where the character is reborn as good as new. Characters can only be reborn in Sanctuaries they've passed before they died and can choose which Sanctuary they wish to be reborn at. If a character hasn’t passed any Sanctuaries they are relocated to where they were in the beginning of the trial. There is one drawback to dying, however, characters who are reborn will not remember the time after they passed that particular Sanctuary.

Ranking System

Each character will have a tattoo on their body that will be numbered based on the cumulative strength of their powers and weapons. Number one would therefore have the most powerful array of powers and weapons at their disposal. There is only one exception to this rule. When a characters defeats a character that has a higher number than their own, they will swap numbers. The design of the tattoo is unique for each person and whenever two characters are within a few meters of one another it will radiant a bluish light.

Rank
4. ???
144. Warren
375. Charles
648. Danielle
737. Angel
800. Logan
961. Alexandria

Combat System

If you encounter another player you must notify them ahead of time if you mean to attack them. They don’t have to agree to be in the fight, but they have to know that you are attacking them. This is to prevent attacks on people who happen to be away on vacation or of a similar situation where they can’t post.

We will be using what is called an open system combat when it comes to combat. You throw an attack and your opponent decides whether it hits and how much it will hurt. If one player feels like the other is playing unfairly, inform me and I will resolve the issue.

Random Encounter

Throughout the trials your character will face monsters or environmental disasters like a rock slide. These are called "Random Encounters" and will appear from time to time. You are not allowed to kill monsters from these Random Encounters unless informed so by a game master. How your character deals with these encounters is up to you, but be sure to take into account that they will happen, often when you least expect it.

Non-playable Characters

Players are free to create their own NPCs, but take note that NPCs aren’t exclusive. Anyone can take control of the NPCs you create. As a general rule of thumb, it is polite to ask a person through the OCC or PMs before you take control of an NPC they created. You do not need to submit a character sheet for an NPC, but I do reserve the right to void out posts you make if I believe you are playing unfairly.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I put multiple abilities as one power?
Yes, you can put multiple abilities into one power, but keep in mind that it will be weaker than those that specialize.

Ex.
[Level 1] Athletic
I'm good at running and swimming.

[Level 1] Athletic 2
I'm only good at running.

Athletic 2 will be faster then Athletic if it comes to a foot race.

When I die does my weapon get reborn with me?
Yes, in this game your weapon is actually a part of your soul. So when you die it will be reborn as good as new right beside you.

What happens to people who fail a trial? & Can I still join even after a trial starts?
I will allow late characters and characters who have failed the previous trial’s objective to join the current trial.

When will each trial start?
Each trial will begin as soon as I write up the thing and there is at least five to six people ready to go.

Starting Date for the First Trial:

September 10, 2010 at 6:00pm Pacific Time (US & Canada).

Rules
0) The plot is more important than any character.
1) Write no more than 800 words (1 page) and no less than 200 words (two paragraphs) per post.
2) Make every detail count – don’t fluff it up, but do make it sound interesting.
3) Post every other day, there should be a twenty four hours between your posts.
4) Avoid contradictions, and correct them if you are made aware of them.
5) Spelling and grammar make everyone happy.
6) Talk things out with others over PM or in OOC when involving their characters.
7) Be respectful of other players.
8) If there is an issue with god modding inform me.
Last edited by Asperser on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:20 am, edited 10 times in total.
Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.
-Anais Nin

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Asperser
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] A World's End (A Fantasy Tournament)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby X-07 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Submitted my character sheet, now I wait until we begin.
Fell free to MSN or ICQ me, preferably ICQ but I do get on MSN as much. All the stuff is right there.------------------>

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

X-07
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Accepted, nice profile btw X-07. It's exactly what I was looking for. Feel free to post in the Post Apocalyptic Earth in the place tab of the RP before the Trials begin. I have the draft for the first trial up in my computer, now all we need is more players.

Asperser
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby X-07 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Awesome, hopefully we wont have to wait too long until other people join up.

X-07
Member for 15 years

Re: [OOC] A World's End

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FrozenSnowman on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:26 pm

I guess I might join.

*is secretly interested, but hates to admit it

I like games in general ^-^' So I think I might have fun $.$ Hmm, I was thinking up a few ideas. One of which I decided against because of the first SU. It was too similar. Now I'm deciding between a nun, a rich chick, or head back to my previous idea.

A few questions I had:

I know this is a tournament and all... but... is there any option for a support role? Not in terms of "character," but in ability. I love the whole "priest/cleric" class $.$ And I was considering making her a support skill character beginning with the skill "First Aid." This'll help me with deciding if I want to do the nun or not (or if I even can).

Second question. I understand that this is "post-apocolyptic," but even still I would assume that some families of course could end up richer. That's why I was wondering if the rich girl option would be available.

Sorry, if my ideas seem out there ^-^'

FrozenSnowman
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby X-07 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Well I wont be able to answer your first question since I dont know myself. But as for your second question, I really dont see how some people couldnt become richer/more powerful in a post-apocalyptic society. As long as you offer services that people will pay for, i.e. start up a town and force the people living there to pay taxes or hoard the water supply. I realize that it sounds like the only way to make money is to be a scumbag but Im saying that it is possible.

X-07
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

FrozenSnowman wrote:A few questions I had:

I know this is a tournament and all... but... is there any option for a support role? Not in terms of "character," but in ability. I love the whole "priest/cleric" class $.$ And I was considering making her a support skill character beginning with the skill "First Aid." This'll help me with deciding if I want to do the nun or not (or if I even can).

So despite my original idea of this being a tournament, which it is still is in some sense, everything about this is constantly evolving into something more story-oriented. Call it a spark of imagination, but I'm getting incredibly interested in my own story(a good thing). So fighting is now something of a backdrop to a larger yet unrevealed conflict.

An option for a support ability is complete and absolutely allowed. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be, especially when players are allowed to team up against stronger opponents.

Second question. I understand that this is "post-apocolyptic," but even still I would assume that some families of course could end up richer. That's why I was wondering if the rich girl option would be available.

Sorry, if my ideas seem out there ^-^'

The rich girl option is available as long as you keep the setting in mind. I don't really expect her to have a working car or anything flashy. A sturdy house and food on the table every night would be considered a luxury in this world.

On another note, I'll just like to inform everyone I've added a nice set of rules from a helpful GM guideline and put in a small tid-bit in the description if you wish to create your own npc's in the RP.
Last edited by Asperser on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asperser
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby X-07 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Well I read those rules, and now I realize that my post broke a lot of them. Ill have to be more careful in the future.

X-07
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:06 am

X-07 wrote:Well I read those rules, and now I realize that my post broke a lot of them. Ill have to be more careful in the future.

Well at a glance I didn't notice anything terrible about your post. It did have a few grammatical errors, but it was coherent and I wasn't banging my head trying to figure out what you were doing. I liked how you described the weather, cold nights, and the confrontation with that man over water. Set the tone quite nicely.

Don't fret about the rules too much though, they are there just as guidelines so players don't burn themselves out or think they have to write an magnificent side-story because the previous poster's 3-page post

Asperser
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby X-07 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:57 am

Oh no, I wasnt making a big deal out of it. I was just mentioning that Ill have to watch my writing for the exact reasons that you mentioned. Bad grammar is a very bad habit of mine, I have a tendency to not have apostrophes and most of the time my spell check wont catch them. Just like that, yeah.

X-07
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Glitchybugger on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:23 pm

I know the general content of what my character's introductory post is going to be like, but I'm going to have to flesh it out some first.
If everyone is expecting some kind of awesome signature that will cause people to spontaneously explode with joy... then be ready to be disappointed. ^_^

Apparently, if I was in Final Fantasy I'd be Tifa.... I'm not complaining...

Glitchybugger
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Hehe, though this shouldn't be new to some of you, this RP will begin on September 10, 2010 at 4:00pm Pacific Time (US & Canada). Get ready folks this is gonna be good, hehe.

Edit: Minor additions to the Rebirth System.

However, characters who are reborn will not remember the time after they passed that particular Sanctuary

You won't remember who killed you if you are killed by someone.
Last edited by Asperser on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Asperser
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Glitchybugger on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Could we still get out a post of sorts to introduce our characters?

Glitchybugger
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Glitchybugger wrote:Could we still get out a post of sorts to introduce our characters?

Yes, the post-apocalyptic earth will be a repository of introductions before the trials. You can flesh out your back story there, even after the trials start. Just don't introduce anything that will mess up your character timeline wise.

Asperser
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby eextreme on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Just submitted my character, I hope it is okay for the RP.

eextreme
Member for 15 years
Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:05 am

eextreme wrote:Just submitted my character, I hope it is okay for the RP.

There is a minor correction, check your private messages.

Asperser
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby X-07 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:13 am

Threw in a second post in the p-a earth section. I mean I know the RP doesnt start until Friday but I still feel like I havent set the scene for my character well enough yet.

X-07
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mazikeen on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:59 am

Hey folks, sorry I've been absent from the OOC (almost) since I've been interested in the RP, which is uncommon for me.

Sooo! How's everybody? I see lots of posts! Good ta see!! I hope to be joining all of you soon as I can. :)

TBH I can't think of anything interesting to blab about, so.. Yeah..

Blue Sakura: "Maz..? Do you see that really big blade leaning in that corner behind you? You know, the one you're making me carry around? Well, I'm going to use it to give you a splitting headach with it unless you make like Hudini and vanish"

ME: *Poof*
Last edited by Mazikeen on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mazikeen
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby X-07 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 am

Hey there Maz, good to see you finally joining in. Not much to say since the RP hasnt started yet but Ive got to say you have quite an interesting character there.

X-07
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:00 am

Glad to see you in the OCC Maz, I was wondering when you'd show up =). Everything is building up quite nicely. Haha, now if only my other GM would get his profile in this place everything would be complete. So far, I've been debating whether to limit the number of characters submissions, but more is usually better.

Asperser
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!