Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Demon Seeker (Open fantasy RP) OOC-Thread

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Demon Seeker (Open fantasy RP) OOC-Thread

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ayaliss on Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Okay, I might not have the priviliege to start this, but I will anyway.

This is a topic to explain all that is in the RP, including magic, races, the world, all that stuff.

I'll begin the thread with explaining a bit about the Seccëhal, the race you would recognize as Aëal the Godeater. It is an ancient race, that does not breed; Aëal himself has lived since the beginning of time (not literally, since some are older and some younger. They have families aswell). Their language has many Sj-, Cj and Adj- sounds. They live in the Ah-Osjerra R' Ëmun, The Valley of Ëmun (truth). Their length is to represent their dominance over other species in the world and has nothing to do with genetics. They are known to have waged war against beings such as the earth giants, Scota Ho Adj, dragons, Sijac Ih, demons of all kind and of course the Ekeyel, demons with angelic appearence.

Aëal is a novice warrior amongst the Seccëhal; an Adwoko. His father, Seccëm, is a Cjad Jiniwoko, a Fullblood Warrior. The novices never use any weapons but the gloves that Aëal is seen using, and are always sent out in to the world for training. Warriors of the official level, the Jiniwoko, begin to use Seppte; two metal orbs attached to a short rope and a ring, whereas the ring is attached to the finger and then gently, yet very fast, spun around. By tradition, Seccëhal warriors do not wear any armour except two small shields on each hand. They use their tattoos as protective charms, and they actually work. Warriors like Seccëm use the Dosjelli Seppte, a weapon just like the Seppte but with a strong metal handle, making it a lot more like a flail.

Seccëhal have means of communicating with any being of the world except demons. Their skincolour only represents their mood, and is explained as following;
Dark, Hispanic tone - Confused
Pale, North European - Calm
Yellow, East Asian - Joyful
A green-ish tone around the veins - Worried
Black, North African - Crazed or in combat
They refer to their original colour, pale white, when solemn. Their eyecolour always varies. A few select Seccëhal have the ability of devouring anything and getting nourishment from it; those are the warriors. Seccëhal have never and will never dwell around magic, but they have the greatest understanding for it. They always have black hair, that climbs backwards on the head. Seccëm, the oldest Seccëhal, has hair that grows all the way down to his heels, in a huge, straight and clean mohawk.

Seccëhal have tamed the Antasafaara, a much bigger version of the Capybara we have on earth. These are their mounts, their companions, their scouts and mainly their friends. The Antasafaara is only granted to Seccëhal that are highly put in society, that means being a warrior, a high-supplying farmer or a high-supplying smith.

That's it for now. Please post about things you know and want to tell the rest. And yeah, Axle, if you want to steal this topic from me, go ahead, I just want it started ;).
Last edited by Ayaliss on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
^ The text your searching for is that way ^

http://www.myspace.com/ymudmusic - Rocking it the Ambiental way. With a bag of Frasse in my mouth.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ayaliss
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: The Demon Seeker (Open fantasy RP) OOC-Thread

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axle on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:32 am

Thanks Ayaliss, as I said in DS I've been busy the past while with the holidays and life in general. Like that you delved a bit into your character's race and stuff, I'll try to think of anything that I need to say and post it. If any of ya'll have questions or anything, this is the place to ask :)
It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to achieve anything. -My attitude on life-

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Axle
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ayaliss on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:17 am

Well, I want to hear how you figured magic works in this world. And what the world is (name and so on). I have a brilliant idea for magic right here;
It is not some odd wave-your-hands-and-kill-stuff kind of magic, but instead a language that you chant to a select god for various effects. Your magic power is only affected by how strong you are mentally and physically, something like that.

And yeah, I don't want fire spells to be World of Warcraft-style fire, instead things such as setting your enemies aflame, melting them (the pictures...). Who said fire has a collision force as a rock?

Ayaliss
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axle on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:01 pm

Hmm, magick, always a fun and interesting aspect to a fantasy world :). Alright, well I've done alot of thinking about this, and this is how I'd like the magick in this world to work:
There are three general types of Magicians, or Magickal practitioners in the world.

1.) Wizard Types: Your general practitioner, studies spells, alchemy, and spell components and the like to build an intellectual knowledge of magick. They learn magick SPELLS, i.e., words of power and the like, and how to use various words together to get desired effects. Even the greatest master Wizards though, do not have uber spells they can use, since even after a lifetime of learning, there's only so much you can do with your words and spirit alone; this is why they study alchemy, the art of making potions; and they also study how to construct magical objects and creatures and put them to use, whether they be an animated skeleton, a magnificent sword, or any other item that is not of the norm, or something normal with extraordinary abilities.

2.) Cleric Types: These holy (or unholy, in some cases) men and women are imbued with magicks from their patron god or goddess. Proving themselves to their god, via pious and faithful service, obtaining relics and artifacts and giving them to their god and his/her church, or any other way of proving "Their Worth" to their god is how these people obtain abilities. They are not so much spells, as much they are just a gifted ability they have. They rarely even have to use words to activate their abilities, though some do use 'spells' to make sure they don't accidentally use an ability when they don't mean to.

3.) Sorcerer Types: Now, the way I've learned this, atleast the way I want this game to work, may be different than what ya'll are used to. Wizards and Sorcerers are quite different in the way they cast magick, as I'll explain. A Wizard learns his abilities, through study and learning. The Cleric gets his abilities from his service to his god. Now, the Sorcerer, does none of these things to gain his abilities. The Sorcerer is born with the power of Magick in his blood. These abilities are innate, and can sometimes take years to show themselves, especially if the person has no idea they have them. The most common way for a Sorcerer to have these abilities 'born' into them, is for them to have Dragon, Demon, or Angelic blood in them. As the person grows in physical and mental prowess, with age a slight factor in the mix, so does their magickal abilities. In the case of the person being of divine/unholy descent, certain actions and events can help them develope abilities at an exponential rate. In the case of the person being a half demon (or any fraction of demon), a common way to gain alot of power quickly is to kill the demonic parent. In this same case, it's even better to kill the demon parent in whatever plane of hell is it's home; should you do that, you will literally consume their demon spirit, adding their soul-might, along with any of their powers they have, into yourself. And, should your demon parent be a Demon Lord, and you kill them in their plane of hell (which they very well may own. I.e., that plane of Hell is THEIR ENTIRE domain), you will inherit their Demon hall and all the benefits that go along with that.

PHEW! Ok, that's all I can really think of right now. If there's anything anyone wants to ask or whatever, go ahead! And I have yet to come up with a name for my world :/... Just can't think of a very good one. I have a map in the works, but it's so hard lately to find time to actually sit down and be able to work on it. So if anyone's interested, and can make what I want, feel free to make a map :). PM me with any questions about that. And I plan on making an IC post tonight, I've just got off work and have some various errands to run and things to do, but I plan on being on here again tonight.

Axle
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lithitemir on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:11 am

Ok, I've been using my past few math classes for this so I’m going to go ahead and post it. I'm actually lucky that the Necomrancers classes actually loosely fit into most of the magic categories.

Necomrancy

Necomrancy is the art of channelling dark magicks through dread spell components or hosts. The effects of Necomrancy are almost always harmful and only benefit the Necomrancer and his creations, through the harming of a host. There are many types and variety of Necomrancer, but they can generally be narrowed down into five categories. The first category of Necomrancer is in itself, many branches of the art. It can be called nothing more specific then the Subtle Variety .

The subtle variety is the Necomrancers that live normally with society. They have no official markings of the Necomrancer, and are generally only dabblers in the magi. These Necomrancer usually do not consider themselves users, and are generally not considered Necomrancer, by other Necomrancers. The users of the subtle variety generally cling to a single spell or aspect of Necomrancy, such as being able to detect and identify evil, or a thief being able to cause temporary blindness. The types of the subtle variety are uncountable, as each one is different from every other, and clings to a different aspect at a different skill level then the next Necomrancer of a subtle nature.

Most other types of Necomrancer begin in the subtle category, but as they develop their power, they will crave more, and seek out the dark cults, who will take the dabbler into an apprenticeship. (It is possible for a Necomrancer to develop on his own, but not very likely.) The apprentice a Necomrancer must complete what is known as the trials of the dead. These trials vary for each apprentice, as they are tasks they do for their master to gain tattoos. When an entire side of their face is covered in tattoos, they are no longer an apprentice and are officially a Necomrancer.

Once an official Necomrancer, one must develop his power on his own. He can seek help and advice from others, but as the most powerful aspects of Necomrancy are deeply personal, they cannot receive training even if they found a willing trainer.

Once a Necomrancer has completed his apprenticeship, he must address an inner question, which needs to be answered before he can advance his power. The answer to this question will ultimately decide the area of Necomrancy in which the Necomrancer will try to master. This question is the same for every Necomrancer as it is the reason they sought power in the first place, "How will I obtain Immortality?"

Immortality is the Ultimate goal of every Necomrancer. To never die, and advance their power for eternity. This is where we meet the next class of Necomrancer. The Corpse Manipulators. Although their numbers are small compared to other types of magi, the corpse manipulators are the most common type of official Necomrancer. These Necomrancers use their powers for the corpse manifestation, and undead crafting. These Necomrancers live with other corpse manipulators only until they have enough undead to protect themselves on their own. Once a corpse manipulator has sufficient protection, they will seek solitude, and continue developing their powers for many years, until they believe they are ready to ascend into Lichdom.

For a corpse manipulator to ascend into Lichdom, he needs to be at his maximum potential as a Necomrancer, or he will not survive the transformation. To become a Lich, (Which is another class of Necomrancy) a corpse manipulator must separate his soul from his body, and into an inanimate object. When separating his soul, from his body, the Necomrancer will become incredibly weak, and suffer a terrible pain. He will need to rely on his minions to keep him alive. (The Necomrancer will die at separation, regardless of his minions if his necromatic powers are not developed to their maximum potential.) One by one the Necomrancers minions will die, as the corpse manipulator absorbs their life force so that he can survive the severance. If he tries to sever his soul, even with peak neromatic power, yet does not have enough minions, he will still die. More Necomrancer have died trying to obtain Lichdom, than many knew even existed.

The transformation into Lichdom can take decades, and you as a reader may wonder why any would even attempt such a suicidal procedure. The answer is simple. A Lich, cannot be killed. Once a Lich, the Necomrancer has completed his goal. He has achieved immortality. Any time his body is killed, the Lich will simply regenerate over the course of a month, completely renewed and ready to seek revenge and more power. A Liches power can increase only to infinity as he has all of time to develop it.

Even if a Liches soul is lost by destroying the object they had moved their soul into, they will still not die, as the soul is no longer what keeps them alive, their power as a Necomrancer is all they need to survive.

Note: There has only been one death of a Lich ever recorded. For this feat, the Goddess of Darkness herself needed to grace the plain to do battle with the Lich. Even then, those who witnessed this event, (And were able to maintain their sanity) say that the God nearly failed.

We will now move back from Liches, and corpse manipulators to a recently advanced apprentice. The corpse manipulators answered their question with Lichdom. However the next category of Necomrancer answered their question, with faith. Faith in the Dark Goddess. These Necomrancer are very rare, and are hated by society and other Necomrancer alike. These vile beings sacrifice to the Dark Goddess, nothing but their own flesh and blood, to gain her favour. It will take years of terrible pain and sacrifice, but when they receive complete favour with the Goddess, they will be nearly immortal. By that time however, they are often indistinguishable from a zombie. (A Common manifestation chosen by a Corpse Manipulator.) These monsters are called Treamor, or more commonly, Dread Zombies. These creatures cannot be called a person any longer, for any humanity they possessed would have been sacrificed to the Dark Goddess. Very few Treamor ever come into existence even considering the small amount that seek to. This is because they are hunted down and killed by the Corpse Manipulating Necomrancer, for sport. They see Dread Zombies as a mockery of the endurance and power of the greatest Necomrancers whom have ascended into Lichdom.

However, once a fully fledged Treamor, there is very little a Corpse Manipulator can do to destroy it, as it has forged a link with the Dark Goddess, which will keep the Treamor alive for as long as She desires. Any wound would be instantly regenerated, and poison instantly nullified. The only way to get rid of a Dread Zombie before the Goddess gets bored with it, is for a coven of Clerics of light to use the power of their Gods to sever the Treamors connection. Even so, the severance of such a strong bond will generally result in the death of all Clerics involved along with the Treamors.

Now that we have visited four of the five categories of Necomrancer, we must once again move back to a recently advanced apprentice. Unlike the Treamor, or the Corpse Manipulators, the next branch of Necomrancer answered their question in a unique way. For whatever reason these users have decided upon a different path, generally specific to the person answering the question. (In the case of Nyx, he answered the question by deciding he would use the ancient relics to lengthen his life span as much as possible while doing great deeds. His immortality will be preserved in the History of men.)

The only thing this branch of Necomrancer has in common with each other is their name. The Magic Necomrancer. While technically all Necomrancers use magic, these specialize in spells, which do not create life, or rely on a God. They use their powers for themselves, per say. They do not sacrifice to a god, nor do they lend power to undead creatures. They live only to achieve their goal, on their own, and by their own means. This is not to say they will not travel with others if they are accepted, but they will not transfer power into the others, in any way. Either from healing or enchanting weapons. To ask a Magic Necomrancer this is generally insulting, as they see it as you are asking them to put yourself before their cause. Although how the Necomrancer will react depends entirely on the Necomrancer, and the current situation. (For example, if those in Nyx party asked for an enchanted weapon, although he will refuse, he will not be angry, as none of them are educated in the manners of Necomrancer. [Although technically they are now since you’re reading this. XD])

This has been a brief summary of Necomrancy.
- Lithitemir, 55th year of the Queen.
The Clerics of Okern - Looking for High Quality Players: http://www.roleplaygateway.com/the-clerics-okern-t25520.html

Lithitemir
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HorusTheHeretic on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Good lord, you've thought this over!

Hmmm... Well, about Ivan... He, uh, invents stuff.

Though I suppose he is exceptional because he IS the only character without magic or anything magical, and he gets by just fine.

HUMPH. Magic. Who needs it?
"It used to be that our elected officials were veterans of World War II, Vietnam, or the Civil Rights Movement. But with the election of Jesse Ventura in Minnesota and Arnold Schwarzenegger in California, I foresee a day when all our leaders will come from the movie Predator. Think about it. Governor Carl Weathers. No wait: Senator Predator. I bet he has some pretty interesting things to say about tort reform."
- Stephen Colbert

HorusTheHeretic
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NewArthur on Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:14 am

I wouldn't really call Markus' magic, magic. if you get my drift i would call it more of divine intervention power given to him by god. and anyway magic to a man of the cloth is like devils work. not that he thinks its bad or anything he just wont use it. just the power for good and rightousness.

Lol that sounds so dramatical
Police cordoned off Liverpool City Centre this morning when a
suspicious object was discovered in a car. It later turned
out to be a tax disc.

You can Razzle Dazzle my Fantazmagazzle!!!!

NewArthur
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HorusTheHeretic on Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:57 am

Well, to a man like Ivan, if its not produced by the laws of physics or the sweat of one's brow, it's magic. However I will reword it.

"Though I suppose he is exceptional because he IS the only character without magic or special powers (From any source), and he gets by just fine."

:)

HorusTheHeretic
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ayaliss on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Okay, I've got nothing else to write about, so I'll go on with some more info on the Seccëhal (say that word ten times and tell me it doesn't sound annoying).

Ah'Sijac Ih Kecc, or The Dragon Hunters
The rangers of the Seccëhal are the hunters, trackers, and also the backbone of the society in Ah-Osjerra R' Ëmun. Every family, always consisting of two parents, and 15 or more children, has at least ten able warriors. The children live forever with their parents; needless of their age. The weapons they use are personally designed and built crossbows, with bolts large enough to penetrate dragon scale.

The crossbows (no huppy-fluppy names here) are designed to use both big and small bolts. It is not possible to tell you of the function or the visual factors of the weapons, since they never look the same as eachother. The only time the Seccëhal used the Ah'Sijac Ih Kecc in their standing army was when the dragons were a big problem (their population only) in the highlands west of the valley. There are no rules that differ the Dragon Hunters from others, and hence their title does not grant them access to the Antasafaara.

Ah-Osjerra R' Ëmun, or The Valley of Ëmun
The legendary valley has fallen into myth long ago, and only homeless people and hopeful travellers speak of the wonderful world that is The Valley of Ëmun.

Ëmun, or Truth, is no god, no otherworldly power or no hero (though it is a name). Before the traveller Onkan Smytt was taken into the valley, it had no name. He asked the people there why they shifted colours from time to time, he was told it was their mood. He then asked them how to say the word truth in the language of the Seccëhal. He then named it the Valley of Ëmun, because no one there hid their feelings. The Seccëhal liked the name aswell, and it became unofficially official.

The houses are huge huts, to make sure the big families can fit. In the valley, everyone is everything, and the whole community is like heaven. You cannot enter without a Seccëhal taking you inside. Many people claim to have stood outside the gates, and been rejected by two ghosts that suddenly turned coal-black and chased them away.

Axle, you need to help me with the location of the Valley, since I can't decide that. It must be rather near (not too near) Reddendale.

And yesh, I invented two new words just now; Huppy-fluppy. Make sure you use them.

Ayaliss
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lurk on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:21 am

Ayaliss told me he would kill me if I didn't write here, so now I have written here. While I'm under this threat, I would like to remind Axle of the latest character I sent him. When will I get an answer?
I've updated the information about my character

Name: Orm

Race: Human (Haven't quite decided yet, but he look like a human)

Class: Swordsman

Alignment: Neutral (He's a criminal) , against demons.

Height:1.90 meters

Weight: 64 kilo

Physical Description: Long red hair and red beard, big nose. The eyes looks very sleepy all the time. He has a big scar all over the face, which makes him very un-emotionable. He is extremly thin, because he hasn't eaten anything in a while. He hardly has any "visible" muscles. He only has one ear, the other one is completley gone, there is no trace after it on the head.

Clothing: A brown cloak made of wool. A brown/black tunic which has traces of blood on the sleeves. A belt made of iron and leather. Two gloves made of wool, they also have traces of blood. He has footpads, which doesn't look any special at all. He has brown trousers which goes all the way down to his footpads.

Equipmeant: A sword decorated with runes on the blade (I might submit a picture of it if this character is okay). The sword is a demonic sword, a very rare one. He found it in a river which was cooking, because it was so warm. He had lost all other equipment.

Talents/Skills: He's a very gifted swordsman, and he has killed many people. Otherwise, he isn't very good at anything

Powers/Abilities: He's known for his sword fighting style. He moves smoothly. He usually run around his opponent very much, and then strikes quickly. He often jumps onto his opponent and then stabs him/her several times.

Backround Information: His past is unknown. A former leader of a band of thieves. He has a price on his head, but now he is forgotten by everyone. However, every man in his band were slayed by one man. Now he's just wandering around in the vicinity. The rest is unknown (It will get revealed during the RP).

Goals/Ambitions: Unknown (Will get revealed during the RP)

Lurk
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:38 pm

Axle is trying to revamp and correct the story and get it started again with those characters that are active and new ones. I also have submitted a character to him and am waiting until the story line reboots and posting starts again.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:14 am

HorusTheHeretic wrote:Good lord, you've thought this over!

Hmmm... Well, about Ivan... He, uh, invents stuff.

Though I suppose he is exceptional because he IS the only character without magic or anything magical, and he gets by just fine.

HUMPH. Magic. Who needs it?

Not the only. My character, when she was alive, had unnaturally AWESOME skill.

But then she was killed by magic. So now that she's not technically elven, she's preternatural!
As you recall, you know I love to show off,
But you never thought that I would take it this far.
What do you know?

Fancy a Butcher's?

aeleon
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axle on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:43 am

Hello my friends, I feel like I'm neglecting ya'll lately! I'm terribly sorry, just trying to work on this game with the help of my buddy, who's a very good, serious, seasoned RP'er. So yeah, between work, life, social life, more work, then trying to get all this stuff squared away, I've been unable to really get on here. But rest assured, that once this game is revamped, it should be ALOT more exciting, LOTS more action, ALOT of twists (my friend will make sure of that :P), and just alot better all around. So until this is all settled, I'll check back periodically, and anything ya'll wanna ask or just anything about this game, post it here, or pm it to me :). Later! And Lurk, you really REALLY need to work on your characters... That first one you sent me, honestly looked like a joke, and this one and it's variations are honestly not that super... They've all been very trite, and your character now, just doesn't have any substance to him... And some of him doesn't make sense, or it just sounds silly.

Example: "Backround Information: His past is unknown. A former leader of a band of thieves. He has a price on his head, but now he is forgotten by everyone. However, every man in his band were slayed by one man. Now he's just wandering around in the vicinity. The rest is unknown"

Now, first. You past can't just be 'unknown'. PARTS of it may be unknown, but yeah, you can't just come in with no past... Your character didn't just live under a rock now :P. Then, he used to be a leader of thieves, and has a price on his head, but now he's just forgotten? Well what's the point of him having a price on his head? Either he wasn't that great of a thief, and he was forgotten kuz the authorities have bigger fish to fry, or he's not 'just forgotten'. All his men were SLAIN by one man, but then?... Ok, well nothing... So, we're left with a 'so what?' attitude toward that. And now he's just wandering around.. Wandering around is ok, but, add to that. Build on it.

I'd honestly say really, REALLY dig deep, and build a character from the ground up. Put yourself into THAT character's shoes, clothes, body, skin, SOUL. Imagine that you're filling out this application, and you're describing yourself, and all your how's and why's and whats. Give your character fiber, being, a soul! You're giving me the bones of your character, but I don't feel like you've really put the meat on him in your own mind even. So really, really create a character that you can be proud of. Imagine you're him. Because in this world, that IS your identity, and you need to know virtually EVERYTHING about your character, if you want to play effectively and according to the mindset and whatnot of your own character.

Axle
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:11 am

This is a copy of the character I submitted to Axle. I plan to be questing with the rest of you with him. I figured I'd post him here as well so that when we get started again hopefully we'll be to jump in with both feet and hit the ground running so to speak.

Name: Skallagrim Cughtagh

Race: Xindhi (the risen)

Class: Assassin/Thief

Alignment: Lawful Evil/ or Lawful Neutral Evil

Height: 6’0”

Weight: 160 lbs.

Physical Description: Skeletal with ragged bit’s of dried flesh. Empty eye sockets glowing with the green energies that imbue the Xindhi with their life energies. Skallagrim has remnants of hair on his head.

Clothing: Skallagrim wears blackened chain and leather armor. Large leather boots and wide double sword belts. He wears a long, thick hooded cloak that is a black lined with a deep crimson inner lining. His face is covered with a mask so that with his hood pulled low, only the green light that emanates from his eyes can be seen.

Equipment: Skallagrim wears thick leather bracers on his arms, coupled with chain gloves backed with leather to protect his hands. He wears a translucent crimson amulet that has the image of a horse on it. He carries a bastard sword on his left hip and a large saex on his right hip. Both of these blades are kept with a keen edge and are blackened and nicked by years of usage. On the blades the names of his children are etched in the Xindhi language. Keefe on the bastard sword, Rhiannon on the saex. Skallagrim has a brace of 6 throwing daggers that cross his chest in a thick baldric and carries a pair of truncheons strapped to his right thigh.

Talents/Skills: Skallagrim is a skilled duel weapon fighter. He was at one time a carpenter before he died and was reborn. He has spent the last 25 years honing his skill at fighting heavily armored and armed opponents and has learned the weakness of heavy armor. Over the last 15 years as a member of the Death’s Kiss assassins he has learned the use of various plants as poisons and their corresponding antidotes.

Powers/Abilities: Being risen he has no need to eat nor sleep. When damaged he can slowly regenerate himself, however the extent of the damage dictates the amount of time it takes him to reassemble. Surprisingly he is able to move with extreme grace and agility. He has the increased strength of the risen, equal to 20 men, by virtue of the magic that courses through all Xindhi. He can summon his skeletal mount by touching his necklace and calling it from the shadow realms.

His sword and dagger also confer some powers to him. His sword Keefe is a great war sword. The 36” long black blade is nicked and notched through years of use, the heavy steel hilt has runes carved into it from a language long forgotten, the 8” handle allows for both a single or two handed grip. The sword is 44” long giving him a very effective reach. It glows with an eerie pale blue glow and can cleave through armor and magic effects as if they were paper.

His dagger Rhiannon is wide with it’s blade measuring 17” long and two inches wide, the blade is shrouded in a black pulsating mist that seems to have a life of it’s own. The thick 5” handle is covered in hide from an animal that legends only speak of. When his dagger strikes an opponent, if they have a life essence, it drains part of it away leaving them slightly weaker, ever hungry it seeks to bite deeply into living creatures.

Background Information: Skallagrim was a simple carpenter before he was slain during the war of light and dark when the dark gods schemed to create a race of risen who would fight with the intelligence of humans. However they didn’t realize that with intelligence comes awareness. The Xindhi under the leadership of the Shadow Court fled broke free of their dark bonds to establish a homeland in the wastes of the world. They struggle to survive and continually battle the Light and Dark, both whom want to destroy them.

Goals/Ambitions: Skallagrim knows his wife Arrica is buried in a sepulcher in the lands of the Light. He also knows his children maybe alive and seeks to find them. So he strives to become a trusted champion of the Shadow Queen and obtain the freedom that the Queen gives her champions to explore the world in order to gain intelligence on her foes. Skallagrim is driven by the memories of his children, which neither the Shadow Queen nor the Dark can extinguish.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NewArthur on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:03 pm

its just like waiting for a new film, the excitement, this role play caught my eye and i would like to think it brought some of the best writing i have done ou. i can't wait for the revamp

NewArthur
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ayaliss on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:29 am

Ugh... Here goes more writing then!

The Aëaliss
The word Aëal means understand (whereas the name means Understanding, absorbing or welcoming). The 'iss' in Aëaliss could be translated into a word like Understandment (although that is no word), if you get my drift.

The language has many influences from the indian languages here on earth. Now, let's go through a few words and what they mean and how they are [pronounced];

Aëal [Ayal] - Understand, welcome, befriend
Seccëhal [Sejyhall] - Living, Real
Ah- [Ah] - The
Osjerra [Ojera] - Valley, hole, pass
Ëmun [Ymun] - Truth, word, honesty
Scota [Sota] - Earth, ground, layer
Ho Adj [Ho Aj] - Giant, big, huge
Sijac Ih [Sia I] - Dragon, lizard
Eke [Ehe] - False, liar, unreal, decieve
Yel [Yell] - Demon
Ad- [Add] - Novice, beginner
Woko [Woko] - Warrior, fighter, guardian
Seccëm [Sejem] - Firstborn, first, early, obvious
Cjad [Jad] - Full, filled, complete
Jini [Jini] - Blood, pure, clear, visible
Nondocjen [Nondojen] - Glove, claw, tool
Seppte [Septe] - Quick, death, clock, round, circle
Sjojto [Sojto] - Tatoo, charm, defense
Dosjelli [Dojelli] - Handle, grasp, hand
Antasafaara [Antasafaara] - Animal, beast, partner, friend
Nintsjo [Nintjo] - Farmer, food-maker, cook
Gantsjo [Gantjo] - Blacksmith, weapon-maker, armour-maker, miner
Kecc [Kej] - Hunter, killer, ranger

That's it for now (phew). Please post a bunch of words, or PM me, if you want me to translate them for some reason ;).

Ayaliss
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lurk on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Axle, the problem is that I can't find a good way to describe his clothing. When I think about the character, he looks like this.
Last edited by Lurk on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lurk
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lithitemir on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:14 pm

Lurk, Axle didn't say anything about the clothing of your character. He wanted more on the background, and personality. What happened to his gang? Surly your character didn't just shrug and say. "Well, there goes my gang of thieves, now im going to go wander around." How was the price on his head forgotten? He’s only 36; bounties aren’t just forgotten in small amounts of times. Maybe if he was two hundred and lived off the grid for half his life, then people would stop looking for him.

I’m also wondering about the sword. My characters life goal is finding relics like that. Yet your character happens to find one in a river? Hmm, the water is boiling; lets jump in and search the bottom for weapons?

And what happened to the rest of his equipment. Oh no, I lost all my stuff, and my gang, randomly. I’m going to go wandering now. That just not believable.

In my opinion you say too much is "Unknown" in your character. Does that mean you don't know? Because even if your bio says your character is a mass-murdering psychopath, our characters wouldn't know the difference. Its ok if your character is mysterious and secretive in the rp, but his character bio can't be. Otherwise Axle won't know whether or not your character is what he’s looking to add to his story.

Just my two cents. You can ignore it completely if you want Lurk. Just trying to help you out.

Lithitemir
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:41 pm

As Lithitemir mentioned there are a few inconsistencies.

Such as the running around and stabbing people which you are well known for. Since most people don't strafe like a video game when actually fighting, your unique style of sword fighting would make you stand out, especially if you were a well known leader of a gang of thieves with a bounty on your head.

I agree again with Lithitemir, being mysterious in the role-play is one thing, but to say your character has no background, when you have clearly defined one in your short bio, is contradictory.

You have the structure for a persona, it just needs to be fleshed out a little more to tie up the loose ends.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axle on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:31 pm

Ok, first, I'll try to give Lurk a better understanding of what I'm looking for.

Lurk, we'll review my character sheet, and hopefully this will give you a good understanding of what I'm looking for. I'd HIGHLY and STRONGLY advise you to read the other player's character sheets; don't just skim them, look at them, fully, because the only reason those Character sheets are POSTED, by ME, is because they lived up to my expectations and requirements the first time, or the player and I worked out anything that I needed them to, to be approved. Now, my character sheet...

Axle's Character:
Name: William Danesin

Race: Half Human/Half Demon

Class: Bard

Alignment: Lawful Nuetral

Height: Five feet and Eight Inches

Weight: One hundred and Fifty-Five Pounds

Physical Description: Will has a fairly 'compact' frame, not a very tall man and a tad skinny looking. Despite this however he has a decent amount of muscle for his size. He has tanned white skin, shoulder length golden brown hair, soft hazel eyes, and an almost permanent smile on his face. He has a beard that goes along his jawline, which is kept trimmed.

Clothing: Will is wearing a pair of scuffed but sturdy travelling boots, a pair of thick black trousers, a black long sleeve shirt with a dark green cloak over that.

Equipmeant: For armor, Will has a chain-mail shirt and a medium sized round shield, painted red on one half and white on the other. The boss in the center is bronze. For weapons, Will carries a nine-inch dagger made of iron, and also has a short-sword which is two feet long, which is made of steel. Also in his pack, he carries his flute which he plays with great talent. Other than these, he has normal survival gear; a roll out travel mattress, blankets, flint and steel, a whetstone, some rations for the road, etc.

Talents/Skills: William is a wonderful singer and a good flute player, making him a gifted Bard. He's also quite proficient in sword fighting, though due to his physical size, relies more on technique and agility than raw power. He's most certainly not the meat-shield of the group!

Powers/Abilities:
Burning Hands: Due to his Demonic heritage, Will can summon fire to engulf his palms, either to start fires while camping, or to scorch his enemies on contact.
Terror Aura: Another gift of his Demonic heritage, Will can put out an Aura of Terror, sending weak minded or weak hearted enemies running from his presence.

Backround Information: Will doesn't disclose much information about his childhood and adolescence, but what he does tell others is that he left his village willingly at the age of eighteen, and has been travelling ever since.

At the age of nineteen and a half or so, he was saved by the rogue Ariana, after he took serious injuries at the hand of a Demonic bear. She tended to him for a week while he was in a comatose state, aiding his healing which was already accelerated by his Demonic blood. After waking, Will thanked her, and during the course of his recovery told her his story. He figured it was the least he could do, to open up to her and tell her why he was there.

She was intrigued by his story and his life mission, to discover himself and his heritage. Tired of living in the same town her whole life and yearning for adventure, she joined him and they've been travelling ever since.

After travelling together for nearly a year and a half, William and Ariana both realized that they'd fallen in love with eachother, and have been a couple ever since.

During the past five years, William and Ariana have found and lost other travelling companions, won and spent small fortunes, but have not found out much more about Will's heritage. But with the rumor of an ancient artifact, containing the wisdom of the Hells and Demonic Planes, Will is on the track to perhaps find out more about himself, and his Father.

Goals/Ambitions:
1.) To discover more about his Demonic Heritage, so that perhaps he can grow and master his Demonic powers, or perhaps restore his humanity, ridding himself of his dark side.
2.) To become a famous Bard, whose songs are sung by his peers throughout the great halls of kings throughout the world.

First off, in my physical description, it clearly states that I am by all means no tank, meat shield, or heavy melee fighter. It shows, that my character is shorter than most, and has a lean build. However, I do have muscle, in proportion to my size. A good amount. But my appearance can throw others off. Since I'm so short and on the leaner side, others are surprised once we duel. Your character however, shows 'no visible muscle'. If you have any strength at all, especially to fight properly and effectively, you'd have SOME visible muscle.
Second, I agree that your sword, and how you got it, doesn't really fit. IF it was in a river, how'd it get there? A sword of that power would've been protected zealously by it's owner. And if it was seperated from it's owner, the owner would be hunting it down quite quickly, or the owner would be dead. In that case, it would've been picked up very quickly by other passerby...
Third, your talents then your powers are quite, uh, bare... Maybe spruce those up a bit? You dont' have to, but I mean your character's only talent is to fight? Ok, well if you've lived your entire life as a bandit and leader of thieves, that fits to an extent, but then again, this also perpetuates the fact that your bounty would not have just been forgotten...
Bottom line, it honestly doesn't sound like you put work or thought into your character. If you wanna play, you have to have a good, sound character. Also you really need to work on your grammar. Unless you're from another country where English isn't the primary language, then I expect you to atleast have SOME grammatical prowess.

Second order of business, with the revamp of this game, there will be a new game thread. Probably something along the lines of "The Demon Seeker, Act II" or something like that. We will cut the bull shit, and be plopped right in front of the necromancer's keep or whatever, or perhaps a day away from it. Our characters will have had two or three weeks of travelling together under their belts, so we'll all have a decent understanding of eachother, and perhaps certain characters will have allied closer, and perhaps others will have grown more into enemies content to travel with one another than actual friends or comrades. I want ALL active players, that is Players that are already APPROVED and IN THE GAME already, to voice here that indeed they will be playing in the second game, once it's up. I need to see who all's going to still be here, and from there we will discuss what kinds of things have happened between our characters during the travels that we will be skipping. Anyways ya'll, I'll be back on here tonight or tomorrow, anything you wanna ask, say, sing, whatever, go ahead :)

Axle
Member for 17 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!