Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat ā€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Raspberry Heaven

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Raspberry Heaven

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BurningBridget on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:10 am

I know this sounds crazy, but I believe that one could run a good game on this site using Raspberry Heaven, a free downloadable, and very rules lite system made by Ewen Cluney, the English translator of Maid RPG. I believe the system lends it self well to the play by post format, and that the structure of the system could actually help a game move smoothly.

But first I should elaborate on what Raspberry Heaven really is. Itā€™s mechanics are based off of a Japanese rpg called Yuuyake Koyake and a little card game called Uno, while the theme is emulation of four panel schoolgirl based comedy manga like Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh. Itā€™s meant to be played in person, with a standard playing card deck and also the be a relaxing. But also heartwarming, experience.

It can be found on Ewenā€™s [url="http://yarukizero.wordpress.com/"]blog[/url], and Iā€™ll find a way to get it to you if you canā€™t get a hold of it that way. It doesnā€™t matter if I have to send to you piece by piece via Pm.

But by now, Iā€™m sure you are asking something in your head: ā€œOh wise and sexy Stilted, how are we going to pull of playing such a tabletop game in a format it wasnā€™t intended for?ā€

Iā€™m glad you asked, because Iā€™ve thought about that and made a list of what alterations we will probably have to make in order to make a smooth freeformesque game using RH:

ā€¢ Separate episodes would make for separate IC threads.

ā€¢ Quirks will be the character bases, and mentioned on oneā€™s character sheet, but making a character sheet will be done in the standard fashion. The ā€œI like [name] becauseā€¦ā€ exercise will be used, and can be an ok way for players to say they Player Xā€™s character to be accepted, because things will be closely knit and done in a small group (like three to four). We al have to be sure that we can work with one another well.

ā€¢ As far as card dealing goes, we will be using PM and the trust system, and the actual playing of cards each phase will be done in the OoC thread. By using the Ooc for this, we can all know whether or not a play passes their phase. Interjections would be included in this as well, though theyā€™d cause a double post or edit depending on the interjection.

ā€¢ Actions would be done a little differently, as the constant ending of scenes would make for some limited control over other peopleā€™s characters by the one finalizing the end of a scene.

ā€¢ Players will be numbered to simulate the to the ā€œplayer on the leftā€ system.

ā€¢ Who sets up the scene each time will be done either via decision like the tutor or a virtual ā€œdice rollā€.

ā€¢ A mood card is simply a guideline for oneā€™s post on that phase. Really going loose with these. It can determine how the character feels, or perhaps the intended reaction to something that happens in the phase starterā€™s post.

ā€¢ A phase turn can last any where from one to however many characters there are. This means that if the beginning post isnā€™t specifically meant to get no reaction from other characters, or only from select ones, then all take turns in the already decided order.

ā€¢ Weā€™ll try to use player absence as a way to effect the story for the remaining characters; its not something that we will just handwave. If we know one player wonā€™t be posting for a while, his/her character will be controlled either be controlled by the player who set up the scene (or the tutor, if the former is the one missing), or get sick/injured to get them out of the way. The absent character will move, get expulsion, be suspended, or the like if the player is gone for good. Replacements/newcomers will probably be npcs or extras coming out of the background, or new kids on the block.

Now, feel free to give me any questions or concerns about how this could happen, though Iā€™d also want to know whether or not any of you want to use a different setting for the system other than the Japanese schoolgirl slice of life that it was made for. I mention this because Ewen even mentions that the system has such flexibility, and one of his suggestions really fired me up: ā€œ ā€¦the game could easily be about housewives in a certain neighborhoodā€¦ā€

Iā€™ve never played someone married before, and Iā€™m sure not many of you have, since Iā€˜ve only seen such a player character in only a few roleplays. The authority card would be mostly used for calling in family (spouse, child, etc.), with every quirk still reasonable for a housewife. Such a thing is definitely a reason why I love the system.

So, I really hope this is a not suckish idea, and not just a delusion of my fanboyism to Ewen Cluney. Seacrest, out!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

BurningBridget
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!