Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Multiverse

The Multiverse Open!

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Owner: Remæus
Game Masters: Remæus, Ylanne, Patcharoo, lostamongtrees
Tags: #adventure · #collaborative · #combat · #crossover · #endless · #exploration · #freeform · #futuristic · #genreshifting · #guildplay · #inspiration · #inspire · #legends · #lore · #magic · #mecha · #metaverse · #multi-genre · #multiverse · #open · #original · #persistent · #persistent-world · #rpg · #sandbox · #science-fiction · #space · #spacepunk · #storytelling · #technopunk · #titans · #verse · #warriors · #worldbuilding (Add Tags »)

Setting

Characters Present

No characters tagged in this post!

Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

INK

((this seemed like a good idea late last night when I was sleep deprived – looks longer than it is – but for a quick summary please go here: silver-city-info-open-people-needed-t33249.html ))

Kendria tried hard to keep her eyes from closing, when she dreamed they tracked her down. Her eyes drifted closed, pulled down with the weight of exhaustion, she was a sleep for barely a second before it appeared. The wolf. No matter what she did, no matter where she was, she always saw that same wolf. The others were barely more than shadows in the back ground, smoky images that shifted smoothly in one long blurry form around that one.

The scenery changed, but those eyes, that wolf, always remained the same. The fir was mottled grey-brown, shaggy and long, covered sometimes in leaves, some times clean, sometimes mud and worst of all, blood. The pale amber eyes bore into her like it was reading her mind. The furry lips drew back and she caught the glimpse of white, sharp teeth and a red tongue.

The wolf’s breath steamed in the cold night air, clouding around its muzzle. And she felt it, pulling at her mind, tracking her down. It let out a low howl to the pack and disappeared from her view. Kendria snapped awake to the sound of screams. She didn’t know how long she’d been a sleep, it felt like moments, but her sister’s side of the bed was cold and empty.

She snuck a peek over the edge of their loft room to the room below. Wolves were swarming around her house, her family lay dead, their blank eyes stared up at her, their throats torn out, the blood congealed around the wounds, faces pale as some of the wolves started to tear off chunks of flesh., fighting over fingers and feet.

Kendria felt bile rise in her throat, she chocked it back down as tears started to fall. She’d slept right threw their cries of agony. She slid back from the edge, she had no idea how long it would be before they found her. Fear raced threw her veins as grief gripped her heart.

The wolves where busy fighting each other, but outside she could hear more of her village dying. The attack had been expected, but no one had been prepared. The last reports where that the wolves were still two towns over. They’d used Kendria to cut straight to her village, a place much less prepared for fighting.

As the last cry’s died out a howl lifted into the air, the wolves below stopped their fighting and ran out the shattered door. Breathing shallowly, Kendria slipped down the small ladder. Her feet slid in the blood of her family, it squelched between her toes and she tried not to vomit as she manoeuvred over limbs, she daren’t look more closely than that.

She could just make out the wolves around the side of her house. Besides their barks and howls the village was silent. She was the only one left.

She slipped round the side, hoping to avoid being noticed, but walked straight into another wolf. She stopped breathing. It was the wolf from her dream. It stared art her intently and she noticed grey flecks in the amber that she had never seen in her dreams. She thought it would rip her throat out then and there, but it just lopped away behind her.

She let out a loud breath, hyperventilating after her narrow miss. She didn’t stay to wonder why she had been spared, she had a pretty good idea it was so she could lead them to more humans. She snuck towards the woods on the edge of the village when she tripped over a body, it was still breathing.

Kenrria knew she should leave; she should get away while she could, but she couldn’t bear to leave someone else to be killed by the wolves. She didn’t know the girl all that well, she was one of many in their village, she was covered in blood, bitten a little on her arms and legs, but nothing life threatening.

Kendria and she were about the same age, she put an arm under her the girl’s armpits and lifted her uneasily, her body shook with the effort, but she slowly pulled the girl away, resisting the urge to drop her and run to save herself. The werewolves didn’t bother them though, they went back to their feasting and Kendrai could hear the snapping of bones and the biting of flesh a long way into the forest.

When night fell Kendria led the girl down. She still wasn’t awake and her breathing was laboured. Kendria was exhausted. She’d walked from dawn until night, and still didn’t feel she was far enough away from the wolves to be safe. She leant back against a tree and with no food or fire she drifted a sleep.

She woke up to more screaming and for a moment though the day before had been a predictive dream, when she looked around in the dark she could see the girl thrashing around, Kendria rushed to her to hold her down, clamping a hand over her mouth, she didn’t need any werewolves catching them.

The girl bucked around beneath her, and Kendria could feel her mouth changing under her hand. She leapt back as the girl slowly started morphing. Kendria realised her mistake too late. She hunted around for a weapon, but could only find a fallen branch. It wouldn’t kill a wolf, but maybe if she struck while she changed she stood a chance.

She lifted it above her head, it weighed a ton and her arms shook under the strain, her muscles burned. For a moment she didn’t think she could do it. But as the girl thrashed on the floor, she could see her body shifting slowly. She brought the branch down on her head with a sickening squelch, she hit her repeatedly, splashing herself with blood and brains as she beat the monster to death while it was still partially human.

When she lay still Kendria dropped the branch at her feet, panting and sickened. The dawn was weak and grey, devoid of light or colour. Kendria had a vague idea of where to go, her parents had mentioned moving there as the attacks drew closer, but weren’t sure if they could find work in the city.

Kendria didn’t know what chance she stood of being given employment, an orphan with no practical skills they might not even let her in, but as she glanced over her shoulder and saw the red mass that was once a head, flies dancing around, feasting on the gore, she shuddered and realised the alternative was ending up like her.

Silver City glinted in the weak sun, looking pale gold; it flashed and blinded Kendria as she made her way towards it. The massive gates were open, allowing the small stream of people entrance to the city. Silver City was surrounded by a huge silver wall. No one had any idea where the mayor had found the money to build the place, but then no one dared ask for fear they’d be chucked out.

Kendria stood at the end of the queue; she was smaller than the rest and couldn’t see beyond them. The line moved slowly, but when it was her turn the guards peered down at her with little interest. Without a word, one of them grabbed her arm, she kicked and struggled, but he was stronger. He pressed her hand to the city wall, it was cold and smooth, and sent goosebumps up Kendria’s arms. There were black hand marks all across the wall, Kendria stared, fascinated.

Eventually she was pulled away and shoved threw the gate for the next person. Rubbing her sore arm, Kendria walked up to the next man inside the gate.

He was tall and thin, carrying a large number of papers strapped to his back, he peered down at her the same as the guards had.

“Race?”
“Human,” Kendria muttered.
He reached behind his back and drew out a scroll.
“You must find work within one week,” the man standing to the side told her, handing her the rolled parchment, “Failure to do so will result in you being immediately evicted from the city,” he handed her some coins.

“Those coins are for you to find a bed for tonight that is enough for only one night, so find yourself a job fast. You will be asked regularly to display your parchment as proof you are employed or have been allotted a time scale in which to be here to find a job, if you loose it, you’re out. Carry it with you at all times.”

He handed her a map, “this is a map of the city, marked are some possible places of employment, I understand the mayor is looking for a new maid, you might find employment there, the last one lost her parchment, thrown out and torn to shreds all in the same day, so don’t think working for the mayor will mean you don’t have to carry that thing around.”

Kendria nodded, trying to take in all the information.

“Area’s marked in red are restricted areas. One warning and then you are evicted, area’s marked in blue are restricted on certain days, if you’re not sure which days, you shouldn’t be there in the first place! Again, one warning, then eviction. Area’s marked in yellow are places of accommodation. Any questions?”

Kendria wanted to ask him to repeat what he said, but instead asked, “why are there burn marks on the wall?”

He stared at her, like that was the last question he was expecting her to ask, “Because werewolves are allergic to silver, when they touch it it burns their flesh and the silver they’re touching,” he said in a tone that suggested she was very stupid girl.

Kendria took her papers struggling with the large bundle. She went to the first inn she could find, only indentifying it because it said ‘inn’ outside. She got a cheap room for the night, a lumpy mattress, a thin and scratchy blanket and a hard, flat pillow, she tried to stay awake, but the last two days had exhausted her and at last she fell a sleep crying.

She woke up the next morning, the wolf was tracking her still, she saw it in her dreams again the night before, but she felt safe inside the silver walls. She made her way to the mayor’s house, making sure she carried her documents with her, stopping and asking for directions every few metres.

At the servants entrance a maid let her in, and lead her to the mayor’s wife, who apparently insisted on vetting all employees personally.

A small interview in which Kendria’s background was minutely investigated and she assigned her job, a room and a brown uniform of trousers and a cotton shirt. With nothing else to do that day as the linen had already been sorted, Kendria was sent to her speak with some of the other servants.

Only Ellie that took any interest in Kendria and that was very little.

“You’re lucky you are, not many people have got a job as good as ours, not many people live in a house of silver.”
Kendria looked around, but couldn’t see any, she mentioned it to Ellie.
Ellie rolled her eyes, “its inlaid, small veins of the stuff, enough to keep were’s back if they get threw the wall, which they won’t.”

Kendria tried to have as much faith in that as Ellie did, but having seen the slaughter first hand, it was hard to think a wall of silver could be enough.

When Kendria woke up screaming in the night, the wolf had been there, mouth covered in blood, Ellie was leaning over her, her dark eyes shinning with malice and intrigue.

“You were screaming about were’s,” she whispered like an accusation.
“I-I”
“You’re a were, aren’t you, lord knows how you got threw the gate, but wait until I take you to the mayor,” she grabbed Kendria’s arm and dragged her from the bed. Tugging the small girl as easily as a teddy.

She ordered another maid to wake the mayor and forced Kendria into the parlour. She stood there, victorious with her prize held captive. The mayor entered, bags under his eyes from being woken in the middle of the night, his sharp eyes fell on Kendria immediately and she withered under his intense stare.

“This is the one?”
“It is m’lord,” Ellie replied, curtsying awkwardly with Kendria in hand.
“How did you make it threw the city, how did you touch the silver?”
Kendria was too frightened to answer.
“Answer me girl!” he bellowed.
“I-I’m not a werewolf.”
“I heard her shouting about werewolves in her dreams sir.”
“My wife tells me you’re family was attacked by werewolves, your whole village in fact, and only you survived? And now we here you screaming about werewolves in your sleep.”
“I-I dream of them…sir…I always have, I see them before they attack and after.”
“What a load of tripe,” Ellie muttered, eager to see blood drawn.
But the mayor seemed to be musing on Kendria’s words.
“Ellie, back to bed with you, I’ll repay you for your services later.”
Ellie looked as though she wanted to stay and watch Kendrai being tossed out on her butt or tortured to death then and there, but she curtsied quietly and left.

The mayor crouched down in front of her, “Now tell me Kendria,” he said softly, all friendliness and warmth now, “how old are you?”
“Ten, sir.”
“Ten? And how long have you been dreaming about the wolves?”
“All my life sir.”
“Can you tell me where they are now?”
“No sir, I only see them when I’m a sleep.”
“Asleep?” he mused quietly, then took Kendria’s hand gently, “Come with me Kendria.”

It was late, the house was sleeping, but as the mayor led her into the pits of the house, Kendria could see a light flickering at the end of the hall. She could hear the odd moan and groan and jumped, but the mayor tightened his grip on her hand until it was painful.

“Benjamin!” the mayor shouted and a door opened slowly. Kendria almost screamed, the man had huge bulging eyes, his face was thin, the skin stretched taught over his bones, thin like paper, and slightly yellow in the pale light, he loomed over her and she could evil flashing in his light eyes.

“This girl, I want you to train her, she sees the wolves, but only in her dreams, I want you to ‘teach’ her how to see them all the time. When your done return her to me.”

Kendria didn’t like the sound of that, but before she could protest, Benjamin had wrapped skeletal fingers around her wrist and was drawing her threw the door.

He led her down a stair well and threw a dark tunnel under the city; she could hear water dripping and rats scurrying around. Benjamin pulled her onwards without light. His skin almost glowed in the dark.

He rattled some keys and opened a door. Cells lined the walls and Kendria could make out shapes behind bars, everything non human was down here and it struck her for the first time that she’d only seen humans in the city, though her own village had been filled with all kinds of creatures before the attack, not that it had done any of them any good.

Benjamin pulled her past two lounging guards and shoved her into a tiny cell with straw for a bed and no light.
“Sleep well little one, I’ll be back in the morning to begin your lessons.”
Benjamin turned to the guards, “keep an eye on her, I’ll be back at sunrise,” the outer door creaked shut and Kendria was left alone in the dark.

After that night Benjamin returned every morning and dragged Kendria from her cell.

“Close your eyes, what do you see?”
“Nothing.”
Smack.
“What do you see?”
“Nothing.”
Smack.

The routine was the same, some times the beatings were so savage Kendria had to be dragged to her cell, other times it was some form of new torture that Benjamin had read about in his dusty books, or some potion meant to heighten her abilities that left her vomiting for hours until all that came up was blood.

Eventually Kendria started to see images more clearly when she slept, she could count the number of wolves, she could see their locations during the day, but never their human faces, that was always barred from her, but eventually she knew enough to satisfy Benjamin and the mayor.

She was lead back up the tunnel and presented to the mayor as his new security weapon.

Ten years later

“Tell me Kendria, where are they?”
Kendria stood stock still her red hair fell to her shoulders and she let a little of it hide her face. She wore long robes of cotton in beautiful colours, only the best for the mayor’s number one weapon. That’s what they all were. All the nonhumans and the gifted humans. Weapons to make the mayors life easier, to make the human’s lives easier.

“I see bushes, grass, tall golden grass, and water, a lake, pale and sparkling.”
“On the map Kendria, show me on the map,” the mayor said threw gritted teeth, he was growing impatient.
He’d only recently decided to use Kendria to give locations of the were’s to launch an attack. Each day more people died, the survivors demanded action, blood.

She let her finger rest on the map, “there,” she opened her eyes, right next to a lake, she didn’t let her relief show, it was still so hit and miss.

“I’ll dispatch men there immediately.”
Kendria held her breath, waiting.

“I’m still worried about the level of your skills Kendria,” the mayor looked at her carefully, she was his best weapon, he didn’t want to kill her, but that didn’t stop him having her beaten. It wasn’t like she could run off, not with the magic bracelet he’d had welded to her skin. Her wrist showed a faint line just under the skin, she’d have to cut herself open to get it out and know the right words to get it off.

She was used to pain, but that didn’t mean she wanted to inflict it upon herself. Having it put on had caused her to black out, and the agony before was tattooed to the inside of her brain, taking it off was rumoured to be worse.

“Go to Benjamin. I want you to try his newest potion.”

Kendria smiled tightly, and curtsied before leaving. Disobedience again caused more pain. She followed the same track she followed most of her life to Benjamin’s dungeon. He liked to experiment on her with potions, and the mayor allowed it. Benjamin was the mayor’s pet and an expert poisoner, no one dared cross him.

She was let in swiftly. Benjamin was absent, so she sat on the table and waited for him, the guards regarded her carefully, like a wild animal. The long sleeves of her robes covered her heavily bruised arms; her ribs still ached from being kicked. She got up gently and examined the contents of some of the cells