Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Destruction of Area 29 (A Breakdown-style RP)

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

The Destruction of Area 29 (A Breakdown-style RP)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wizard_and_Glass on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:00 am

Tuesday
20 November 2022
Time: 12:20 AM

“Hey, how’s your wife, Jackson?”

“She’s fine, getting a li’l bigger now that she’s getting on along, Frakes. What about Shelley, your woman?”

“Well, she’s sti…what in the unholy hell was that?!”

From the tower at the east end of the compound at Area 29, the explosion was merely a brilliant fireball for a moment before the shockwave from the gigantic blast shattered the windows inward at the two technicians. As the two pulled themselves up and watched in horror, yet more, smaller explosions ripped through the compound, coming closer and closer, the pops of gunfire and the occasional scream drifting to them on the wind. They couldn’t see what the trouble was, which was odd if they were being invaded…normally the opposing force would have been spotted far sooner. With blood dripping from a cut on his head, the man named Jackson picks up a video camera, turning it on as Frakes examines the grounds with his binoculars.

“Oh…shit…Jackson, take a look at the Vulcan.”

The young man nods towards the rail-mounted Gatling cannon, each shell fired as large as a tank’s round. It was one of their most powerful weapons, stealing the name from the Vulcan cannon mounted on some gunships. From their position, even at the distance they stood, the pair could see the Vulcan rocking on its stand, yet still not seeing what was causing it. They could also see gore upon the ground, yet unsure exactly what it was as the Vulcan began to topple, their eyes widening in unison. It never hit the ground, however, and the cause of the disturbance became evident, Jackson and Frakes already starting their frantic calls over the airwaves even as the human-sized figure hefted over a ton of gun as if it were a toy.

“Oh shit, oh shit! This..this is Elias Jerome Jackson, First Technician of Area 29 requesting immediate assistance to…to an unnamed anomaly at the compound! Gunships, infantry, tanks, whatever the he…”

“Jackson…”

“Damnit, Frakes, I’m trying to g”

The young man never finished his sentence, however, as the man named Frakes tossed himself to the floor, the Vulcan’s roar heard over the shattering of stone and the splattering of blood. The massive rounds tore through the tower roof and Jackson’s torso, cutting the young man in half, leaving only the single arm that hadn’t been holding the communicator to his face and his lower half. The screaming from the other young man continued on for a moment before he realized that the hellish thunder had stopped, turning to peek over the rim of the now shattered windowsill.

The sight greeting him was not one he would ever expect…or live past. The Vulcan lay discarded on the ground at the moment after being used to cut the eastern communications array off, the figure nowhere to be seen. That didn’t mean it had left. As Frakes leaned out, the thump over his head made his heart skip a beat. As he turned himself and the camera upwards, a hand, both flesh and a hard, black, organic substance, snakes downward, grabbing below the camera and giving a quick tug. As the overbalanced young man began to scream, a head with silvery hair appears over the lip, fingers curling in a small wave as the boy begins to fall the hundred and fifty feet to the ground below. With a sickening crunch and the sound of camera rolling on concrete, the video went still, showing only the remains of what had once been a bright young man named Kameron Frakes.

Tuesday
20 November 2022
Time: 12:10 PM

“All right. This is all we know, people. At 12:20 this morning, something happened at Area 29 that no one could explain. In our initial sweep, this video and bodies are all we found. That thing near the end is our only clue. At 1 on the dot…all communications, even from small personnel radios, was lost. Now we have to find out what happened and how in the hell something can lift the Vulcan on its own. Any volunteers?”

This is where you come in, hopefully. I’ve based this mostly off of an old game I played, Breakdown. It was an odd mix of first-person shooter and fighting game that left a little something to be desired in places, but was overall a rather good game. For anyone who hasn’t played, the T’lan are essentially bulletproof in relation to small arms fire, but heavy weapons can damage them if one overloads their shields. {For the purpose of this roleplay, they will be shields for the lower level T’lan warriors and not an ingrained ability unless one is a high-ranking T’lan.}

For those of you just starting out, unless you are a low-ranking T’lan warrior, you are either a prisoner given one last chance at freedom by the government, a green new recruit, or one of few battle-hardened warriors, though none of them know of the T’lan yet. All the information on their race is kept in a computer on base at Area 29. Your mission is to retrieve any information you can and find out what happened at Area 29.

Near the beginning, you are a normal human being…standard human flaws included, such as the vulnerability to gunfire, the unfortunate side effect of bleeding out from a large wound, and things of that nature. However, once the information on the T’lan has been found, as well as the few frozen T’lan bodies deep inside the base, a serum could be synthesized by your scientist, should you choose to have one, that grants superhuman abilities to our intrepid heroes. Until then, however, the creature mentioned, Zherxen, is basically a god: indestructible to all manner of gunfire and ungodly strong, as well as prone to sporadic bursts of super speed…all without wearing pants, the true sign of evil. Once the superhumans have been made, however, Zherxen becomes less godly and more of a powerful pain in the ass.

This is as far as I’ll detail for an interest check, but if enough interest is generated and I can get my bud or someone to run it with me, I will most definitely start this up and explain more.
Last edited by Wizard_and_Glass on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Wizard_and_Glass
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: The Destruction of Area 29 (A Breakdown-style RP)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Death jr. on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:12 am

Yes Yes..i am very interested ^/_\^
"...Lift every voice and scream, until we destroy everything. Disgusted with harmony, Fuck liberty..."
Prepare for the revolution. Prepare for war. Prepare for Anarchy

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Death jr.
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wizard_and_Glass on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:00 am

Sweet. I'm glad I got someone interested in it so quickly after I posted it. Now we just need to get a fair number more people before I attempt turning this into an OOC thread to prevent clogging things up with something that isn't going to go anywhere, you know what I mean? I particularly like the part about the "no-pants badass" thing. I mean...come on, who wouldn't think it's awesome that the main villain dude wears no pants...or anything else, for that matter?

Wizard_and_Glass
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby !asgard@destroyer! on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:25 am

Im in, Just make the character sheet and I'll sign up on it.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you wish peace, prepare for war" - Italian proverb

!asgard@destroyer!
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wizard_and_Glass on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:34 am

All right. I admit, I'm not the best at creating character sheets, which is usually what I depend on my friend (who I hope will help me manage this once she wakes up again) to help me with. I'll give it a shot, though.

Soldier

Username:(This is just for anyone who signs up early in the Interest Check section so I can move them later.)

Name:

Appearance:

Personality:

Bio:

Weapons:(Break it down into three...main, secondary, and dire straits.)

Secondary items:(As a side note, everyone has four grenades, no matter what. The type is up to the user.)

Supersoldier serum effect:(Aside from slightly augmented stamina and the ability to physically smash through a T'lan shield and the higher ranking T'lan technorganic shields that keep them protected, what power do you gain? Super strength, augmented speed? Be creative with this one if you like.)

When concerning the secondary things, be a bit realistic. It can seem a little excessive, but until the Supersolder serum is made, you're only human and having too much crap would tire you out. If anything needs to be added to that, let me know...I am definitely not the best at this. Also on a side note...the best out of the soldiers will become what is essentially a super-supersoldier, almost on par with Zherxen in power. Who that'll be will be determined by quality in the IC, if this goes anywhere, which I hope it does. Now for the T'lan.

T'lan

Username:

Name:

Age:(Optional for the T'lan, as some are artificially grown to be large and intelligent near birth)

Class: Soldier, Stealth, Sumo. (This deserves a bit of explanation...T'lan come in different types, Soldiers being the most numerous...bald, muscular, silent freaks with superhuman strength and average speed. Stealth T'lan are rather weak, yet they are quite quick and as their name would imply, they can cloak themselves if given the proper time to prepare. Sumo T'lan are just what their name would imply...huge creatures whose strength is only under that of Zherxen himself, though their slow speed more than makes up for the phenomenal strength.)

Rank:(For the T'lan, rank is determined by power, thus making Zherxen the leader. Rank also signifies whether the shield is an actual energy shield that can be smashed through enough pounding with firearms or whether it is a technorganic ability ingrained into their body. For now, only warriors of low rank can be made unless a good number of people join.)

Appearance:(As a note, the T'lan have a secondary black, hardened part of their flesh, the gunners having the most, as it covers much of their torso and arms up to the bridge of their nose, though others have varying amounts.)

Personality:(Though most T'lan are loyal automatons of death, the unique T'lan can have a different personality type.)

Bio:(This can be a bit shorter than usual seeing as some T'lan are engineered, but still aim high and not a bare minimum.)

Weapon:(All right. To explain for the T'lan...this is not to choose a weapon type...here you either choose which arm to sacrifice to be a technorganic laser blaster that can be used as a club in close combat in coordination with the other arm or you just put N/A. Other weapons can be picked up as they are found on corpses if the T'lan is smart enough to know how to use it.)

Abilities:(As a T'lan, all have a shield of some sort, the low ranking T'lan actually having a small generator on their hip for it, as they have not evolved enough for it to manifest from their own biorhythms. Some can have adapted abilities that evolved, but nothing too godly...we already have enough of that with Zherxen.)

Also on a side note, for any who make a T'lan and do quite well and survive for some time against our intrepid heroes, one could earn the respect of the meeker T'lan and come to command a small troop of them.

Wizard_and_Glass
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wizard_and_Glass on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:18 am

T'lan

Username: Wizard_and_Glass

Name: Zherxen

Class: T’lan Elite (One of very, very few of this class.)

Appearance: Zherxen is a rather average height male T’lan, steely grey-blue eyes staring out from beneath a normally well-groomed mass of silver hair, ‘brows of silver, as well. Normally keeping an uncaring façade in place, Zherxen is quite shrewd at times, his brows knitting in thought. As a T’lan Elite, Zherxen’s technorganic second skin is less bulky, but no less durable, than that of a normal T’lan, seeming more like he is wearing a pair of black pants rather than having nothing on at all, extending up his right side to cover his entire arm from the shoulder down save for two of his fingers, the middle and index fingers. The rest of his body seems to be flesh and blood just like a human being, pale yet beautiful…a true angel of destruction.

Personality: Cold, calculating, and disconnected from reality at times, Zherxen is a truly strange individual, even by T’lan standards. If questioned by one of the lower T’lan, those not even graced with names, but numbers, he will not hesitate to crush them, body and soul. He will also not hesitate to smack around his higher T’lan to prove a point, as he is the pinnacle of T’lan perfection at the moment. Despite this, he knows that the possibility of a T’lan “god” is still quite possible, for there was a single T’lan of such a description in the past…and he wants to be the one to discover this “god” and bring it up his way…and have his name remembered.

Bio: Born of normal T’lan means instead of grown in a stasis tube, Zherxen was bred to be the best. He was brought up a predator and thus is one to this day. Skilled at what he does, Zherxen will not hesitate to wield his awesome might if he must, smashing down any thoughts of rebellion amongst the lower T’lan to gain prestige through sheer force, proving just how far above the rest he is for needing no plan. One of few T’lan to actually grow hair, as the vast number of T’lan are bald, silent, as well, for some cannot speak, some will not speak, and yet others are too stupid to speak. Upon realizing that Zherxen was one of the few, the proud, the Elite, the T’lan immediately began to obey the would-be commander, the brash youth a rising star…a meteor in reverse. Even before hitting his prime, Zherxen wiped the floor with the older male who led the T’lan at the time, completely emasculating him before quite literally ripping his head off and tossing it away in disgust. Since then…he hasn’t looked back, invading the human world through the T’lan world’s gateway found in the desert beneath Area 29.

Weapon: N/A

Abilities: As the pinnacle of T’lan perfection, Zherxen is a god when among humans, still quite extraordinary among the T’lan. His technorganic shield, adapted to his biorhythms from an early age and produced a bit more strongly by his hardy body than most, is one of the strongest the T’lan have seen, but by no means is it impenetrable. The original commander managed to break the boy’s nose and give him a black eye before going down, yet to the humans he would seem indestructible. His speed can go from an agonizingly, terrifyingly slow walk to sporadic and annoying bursts of speed that would make him seem to disappear. His strength is truly monstrous, for even the hardiest and strongest of Sumo-class T’lan cannont compete on a level playing field with Zherxen, the young T’lan proving that he is peerlessly strong, capable of lifting tons on his own with a bit of effort, though a single ton can be carried as if it were a toy for some time before becoming a burden.

{While it may seem as if I am intentionally making him god-like…that’s the point. Near the beginning, Zherxen is supposed to be that “OHSHI-! RUN!” type of guy, though he becomes less godly and more of a strong, annoying pest that needs to be swatted near the end once the serum has been synthesized and administered. He’s essentially the “boss” character, the last to fight and the last to die…or so it would seem at the start. We’ll have to see where it goes.}

Wizard_and_Glass
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Death jr. on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Dude...this is really interesting. I'm in. But I'm sorry, i don't think my charrie sheet will be as good as yours. I'll try though ^_^'

Soldier

Username: Death jr.

Name:Jose Vasquez

Appearance:Image hope a pic is okay.

Personality: Jose is the guy you always want around. He's the type of person that would lead you into battle with confidence that you're going to come out of it alive. Most of the time is is sarcastic, cracking jokes on the higher ups when he is with his team. He may disrespectful to the higher ups, but they cannot deny that his is one of the best when it comes to what he does. Jose cares deeply for his team, although he would never admit it to them, and would never leave a team mate behind. But to his enemies, he is a killing machine, following orders to the letter. If he is to clear out an entire village before nightfall, believe that village will be cleared.

Bio: Jose had a rough background, growing up where he did. It was teh wrong side of teh tracks you could say. Gangs, drugs, guns, he saw it all. He never had someone he could call father as he was raised by his mother. Its been him and his mother and his two sisters for as long as he could remember. Living like that eventually got to Jose, and he began to commit crimes and such. Some time in prison got his priorities straight because soon afterward he joined the military. He went through rigorous training, and advanced through the ranks quickly, earning him his Major status.

Weapons:
Main-XM8 lightweight assault rifle
Caliber: 5.56x45 mm NATO
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
Overall length: 838 mm in basic configuration, butt extended
Barrel length: 318 mm in basic configuration; also 229 mm in Compact and 508 mm in Sharpshooter and SAW versions
Weight: 2.659 kg empty in basic configuration
Rate of fire: ~ 750 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds (STANAG) or 100-rounds double drum in Automatic Rifle/SAW role

-Secondary-Glock handgun.

-Straight- ?

Secondary items:
-4 fragmental grenades
-flashlight
-lighter
-small razor

Supersoldier serum effect:
-Higher perception - Can see further then before, and hand eye coordination is increased dramatically, increasing accuracy 100 fold.

Death jr.
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wizard_and_Glass on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:47 am

Thanks. This is actually one of my first times actually trying to suggest an RP idea. My last one didn't get much response and the single idea before that only got one response. I got this idea reading about Breakdown and remembering how frickin' terrifying it was to run into those T'lan soldiers before you could actually hurt them. It was all RUN, don't walk from them. As to your character sheet, don't worry about the length. Just think on quality. I liked that one. I know that not everyone uses as much detail as I do and then there are some who use quite a bit more. I'm somewhere in the delightful middle. Now if we can just generate more interest...I'm anxious to use dear Zherxen.

Wizard_and_Glass
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!