Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Book of Unity: Ethicism & Religious Debate

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Book of Unity: Ethicism & Religious Debate

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dionysus on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:37 pm

Bibliography - Most of the following information was translated, or re-worded from THE WORLD'S GREAT SCRIPTURES, author Lewis Browne, copyright 1946, Macmillan Publishing Company, 5th edition. Lewis Browne had an idea in mind, that all religions share a basic concept or kinship with one another. He dedicated his writings to a deeply religious friend, Upton Sinclair, but his writings were viewed as no more than an author's compiliation of ethical fragments. I have taken Browne's ideas and added my own, taking this idea one step further in making it a new belief system. I have turned it into a religion, in its own right, which I will call Ethicism from here onward.

There is increasing wonder nowadays about religions other than our own, which is a good thing. It is good because such wonder is imperative if we are to begin fitting ourselves for this world we now live in. Bigotry was endurable in earlier times, for the planet was roomier then, so people could keep somewhat apart. But today our world is so shrunken that bigotry has become like cholera in a crowded camp. Our first need, therefore, is sanitation. Our minds must be opened, swept clean, and thoroughly aired. Bigotry is not born of ignorance, which is simply non-knowledge. It is a product of stupidity, which is wrong knowledge. The minds of bigots are worse than the bare of truth, because they are full of falsehoods. And that is why they are so grave a menace; being polluted, they cannot help but spread the disease. The trouble with the world aint that people don't know, but that they know what aint so. And unless that trouble is remedied, the world seems doomed. So we have a right to rejoice in the growing wonder concerning humankind's religions. It shows that we are tiring of stupidity in this field, and that we are striving to acquire at least ignorance. That my friends, is very good... ^_^

But only as a first step, for ignorance at best is a negative gain. Wonder must give way to questioning, just as uncertainty must give way to research. We must know what our neighbors and fellow nations believe. And to do that, obviously, we must go to their scriptures. Now once upon a time, that was impossible, for most of those scriptures were closed to us. They were sealed in strange languages, which were often meaningless even to the believers themselves. But that is no longer the case, and thanks to the great philologists of recent generations, all the seals have been broken, and translations exist now of virtually every important holy book and religion. The sacred literature of the entire world can now be read in English.

And it needs to be read. Not all of it, of course, for that would take too long, and prove to be too tedious. But the crucial portions, the truly basic scriptures, these certainly should be read. Without a knowledge of their contents, there can be no understanding our fellowmen. Therefore, this anthology. This is not a thread, but a book, which all of you can write in. Everyone here is an author, a commentator, a prophet or devil's advocate of this new religious ideal, which I'd like to call Ethicism for lack of a better word. Ethicism follows a bias, of course, but one which I trust is defensible. Seeing that I concede its presence, perhaps it should not be called bias at all, but rather a principle. It operates on two levels; first, among the various religions, and second, within each canon. Let me explain how and why. It will be observed, and no doubt complained, that whole sections have been devoted to dead religions, yet not a single page to a number of religions which are very much alive. This, however, was not due to caprice on my part. Space could not possibly be given to all the religions, so I favored those which seemed historically most important. I wanted to be objective, and therefore had to consider not the quality of each creed, but the extent of its influence in the world. By that standard, the dead religions of Babylon and Egypt, which produced the earliest of all scriptures, certainly outrank any minor living cult.

Again it will be observed, and perhaps even more sharply complained, that when I do give space to a religion, I lay almost all the stress on one of its aspects. But this, too, is done on principle. There are, I realized, at least three aspects to every great religion; faith, hope, and charity. Faith is the theology, hope is the ritual, and charity is the ethics or moral disciplines. In choosing my selection, however, I have deliberately concentrated on the third aspect, quoting very few passages of a strictly theological nature, and almost none at all that deal with ritual. The liturgical regulations, the sacrificial cults, the spells, thaumaturgies, and ceremonial systems have all been excluded here. The entire emphasis is on the ethical element in each religion, on the moral laws and social preachments around and across the entire globe of civilization.

Here is the reason. What we need is a keener awareness of the kinship between all religions, and nowhere is this kinship so evident as on the ethical level. Humans may differ grossly in what and how they worship, but not in why and how they believe humans should behave. They may be divided by that which their priests assert to be divine, but not by what their prophets assert to be humane. So this holy book is not for the bigot who lacks reason, and wishes to argue their points against religion. But rather, it is here for those seekers of enlightment and lovers of wisdom who can conversate without confrontation. For where there is a gathering of wonderers, we are able to take a step forward closer to the real Truth and understanding of it. Anyone can add scriptures to this Book of Unity, and proclaim to be a prophet of Ethicism, as I am doing right now.

Let me just say, as the creator of this debate, that there is only one rule that you must practice at all times when posting on this thread. You may know this as the Golden Rule, which is inherent in all religions. Do unto others as they do unto you, and do naught unto others that which would cause you harm if done to you. I expect this rule to be followed at all times, as I am the king of this new priesthood, and I will not tolerate any disrespect. Not towards myself, and not towards others. That is why I call it the Book of Unity, because we are gathered here to learn from one another, and share what we know. Religion is a delicate topic for some people, since conversation often leads to confrontation. That is why I will be enforcing this rule at all times, and making sure that those followers who really wish to learn and expand their minds, are not closed off or led astray by religious turmoil and internal conflicts. Thus sayeth the king, and founder of Ethicism.

Feel free to post something at any time. Just be sure to tell us who you are, what you believe, and why you agree or disagree with some religions. We are also looking for diversity, and quotations of the world's great scriptures. Do not simply give your own opinions, but use footnotes or references also to the holy books and preachings you will be giving your interpretations on. Commentary is useless without bibliography, as our own opinions are often onesided. That is why we need to read the scriptures, and quote them thoroughly when we post our own viewpoints. That is the true way to proper knowledge and understanding. You can choose to talk about any of the great religions here; Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian, Greek, Roman, Norse, Wicca, Paganism, Judaism, Christianity, Mohammedism, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Zenism, Sikhism, Bahaism, Mormonism, Satanism, Voodoo, Atheism, Manichaeism, and any other cult not yet mentioned. I will be back later on, to add my own two cents, answer any questions, and perhaps ask a few things to relieve my own uncertainty. I will also be back to post a fragmented list of religions which prescribe the Golden Rule for humankind. Until then, stay on topic and take care.
Last edited by Dionysus on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
DIONYSUS THE TWICE BORNE
THE HUMAN BEING WHO DIED TO BECOME THE IMMORTAL GOD
VETERAN ROLEPLAYER AND GUARDIAN OF TEXTUAL COMBAT SINCE 1998

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dionysus
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Book of Unity: Ethicism & Religious Debate

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dionysus on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Okay, I'm back. I took the liberty of prescribing the Golden Rule here, as it is important to the kinship of humankind. You will find it in one form or another in the scriptures of every major religion. There are distinctions of phrasing in each quotation, but no difference in meaning. Though diverse, they are not at all divergent, and in this they typify the various ethical systems. Consequently, it is only right that all the systems which prescribe the Golden Rule recieve the most attention. Of course, charity is not the whole of any religion. Each also has its faith and its hope, but charity is obviously the greatest of the three elements because it is the common denominator among all religions. In that sense, if no other, it is truly basic and properly dominates this collection of the world's great scriptures. Now you will notice eight examples here. It is not due to bias on my part, but simply, due to a lack of understanding and uncertainty at this time of other teachings. If you read these eight examples, and do not belong to one of these eight cults, but do practice a religion which follows the Golden Rule, then please say so. It is my goal as an Ethicist to collect various quotes from different religious scriptures, which coincide with this harmonious moral system. See these examples below, and take notes from them. If you know of a religious scripture which contains the Golden Rule in writing, then please add it to the mix by quoting it word for word how it is said in each religion, and then be nice enough to post where you found those quotations in each holy book so others like me can go ahead later and research it themselves. Thank you.

BRAHMANISM:
"This is the sum of duty: Do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you."
Mahabharata 5;1517

BUDDHISM:
"Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful".
Udana-Varga 5;18

CONFUCIANISM:
"Is there one maxim which ought to be acted upon through one's whole life? Surely it is the maxim of loving-kindness: Do not unto others what you would not have them do unto you."
Analects 15;23

TAOISM:
"Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss."
T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien

ZOROASTRIANISM:
"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself."
Dadistan-i-dinik 94;5

JUDAISM:
"What is hateful to you, do not to your fellowman. That is the entire Law: all the rest is commentary."
Talmud, Shabbat 31A

CHRISTIANITY:
"All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the Law and the Prophets."
New Testament, Matthew 7;12

MOHAMMEDISM:
"No one of you is a believe until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself."
Islam, Sunnah
Last edited by Dionysus on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dionysus
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Book of Unity: Ethicism & Religious Debate

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dionysus on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:06 am

I have done some more research, and here is what I found regarding the Golden Rule as it is said and practiced in all great religions around the world. Observe here the difference in wording, but again, no difference in meaning:

LAMAISM:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion; If you want to be happy, practice compassion."
Dalai Lama

BAHAISM:
"Ascribe not to any soul that which thou wouldst not have ascribed to thee, and say not that which thou doest not."
Baha'u'llah

KRISHNAISM:
"That one I love who is incapable of ill will, and returns love for hatred."
Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita

JAINISM:
"A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated."
Kritanga Sutra

ANCIENT EGYPTIAN:
"Do for one who may do for you, that you may cause him thus to do."
Eloquent Peasant, 109-110

HUMANISM:
"Don't do things you wouldn't want to have done to you."
Worldwide Saying

SPIRITUALISM:
"All things are our relatives; what we do to everything, we do to ourselves."
Native Americans

SHINTOISM:
"The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form."
Japanese Religion

GREEK PHILOSOPHY:
"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you."
Socrates, 5th century BC

SCIENTOLOGY:
"Try to treat others as you would want them to treat you."
Worldwide Saying

SATANISM:
"Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of 'Do unto others as they do unto you'."
Anton LeVay, Solipsism 3

PAGANISM:
"Eight words the Wiccan Crede fulfill, an it harm none do what ye will."
Doreen Valiente, Wicca

Dionysus
Member for 18 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!