Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Inter-dimensional, Improvisational, Multi-genre Writing Game

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!
I'm looking to start a world-jumping, writing-based roleplay where in-game outcomes are influenced by the quantity and quality of posts. The narrative will be devloped collaboratively as we go along, shifting between different dimensions (genres), but with some continuity of character, and a kind of karmic system where your status and abilities will be influenced by your actions in the previous universe.

The setting will shift between various worlds, probably corresponding to the usual genres: fantasy, science fiction, steam-punk, super-hero, post-apocalypse, etc. but the characters that you play will be determined by the choices you made (and how many words you managed to write) in the previous world. This added game mechanic will not be to make anyone feel bad about their fiction, just to provide incentive for active involvement, so we can all improve our writing skills--the only way your character will actually "die" is if you stop posting entirely.

A week from now, I will post an updated version of this description to "Role Players Wanted," and a week after that, I will officially create the game. From then on, assuming one or more players are participating, every Friday I will post as the Narrator, and advance the story in a way that reflects the contributions of the previous week. Players are, of course, allowed to post as frequently as they like, and can develop the narrative and their characters just like in any other RPG. I will have some ideas for each world, but am open to adapting the story to new developments.

Rather than coming up with a detailed charcter from the beginning (which will be less important since characters will change as we shift dimensions) here is how I was thinking we could start: you come up with just a name and a one or two word description suitable for a fantasy (sword-and-sorcery) type world, and I can use that in the first bit of narration, and we can go from there. If you want to provide mroe details from the start--or if you have any meta-ideas or concerns about this RPG, don't hesitate.

To summarize:
-A collaborative, inter-dimensional writing game where I (as a narrator) will post every Friday.
-Good or bad things will happen to your character depending on the number and quality of your posts.
-We will develop characters and story as we go, and change to a new genre/dimension when we get bored.
-If there is interest, this game will be in the "Roleplayers Wanted" forum next Friday.

One last thing--if we manage to develop a solid group of players, we could eventually migrate the story line to the existing Multiverse game. Also, others could take turns as the "narrator." Let me know what you think!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

degenerate_telepath
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!