Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat ā€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Journey through the Inferno

a topic in Books & Literature, a part of the RPG forum.

For any roleplay based on books or other forms of literature.

Journey through the Inferno

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Veaon on Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Anyone interested in a tour of medieval Hell? My English class recently finished reading "The Inferno", and Dante's vision sounds like a cool place to RP in. (stinking marshes, flaming towers, icy winds, wailing souls, fantastic monsters, etc.)
Some people would get to be mortals on a journey or specific denizens of the underworld (e.g. monsters, guardians, ferrymen, etc.), but I think most would represent the shades of the damned. Player's roles would probably depend on what type of plot is going on, though. If anyone's interested, I'd appreciate any ideas besides "Get through Hell without being corrupted/torn apart/eaten".
"He who makes the rules should not lose the game."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lord Veaon
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: Journey through the Inferno

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Emptor on Thu May 14, 2009 9:20 pm

the inferno also known as the *divine comedy.All I have to say is hell yes<irony

*cookie if you can get why it's called that
y'know, I like rabbits and all. They're cute and they're horny. And if you're cute and you're horny, then you're probably happy, in that you don't know who you are and why you're even alive. And you just wanna' have sex, as many times as possible, before you die... I mean, I just don't see the point in crying over a dead rabbit! Y'know, who... who never even feared death to begin with.-Donnie Darko
CTHULU FOR PRESIDENT:WHY CHOOSE THE LESSER EVIL?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Emptor
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Veaon on Thu May 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Well, it's a comedy 'cause its not a tragedy. And it's divine because Virgil's been commissioned by "Divine Love" to guide Dante through Hell (and Purgatory, and Paradise; "The Inferno" is only 1/3 of the whole "Comedy.")

Lord Veaon
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Thu May 14, 2009 9:29 pm

I have never read anything by Dante, but I plan on remedying that situation as soon as I finish Jingo.

(My moneys' on "the gods are laughing at us" kind of mentality, but hey, what do I know? *hides username*)
EDIT: Crud. *sigh* Words...
ImageImageImageImageImage

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dante12590 on Thu May 14, 2009 9:36 pm

I've read all of the Divine Comedy it's actually my favorite story of all time. Please tell me more.

Dante12590
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Veaon on Thu May 14, 2009 9:47 pm

DCLXVI wrote:I have never read anything by Dante, but I plan on remedying that situation as soon as I finish Jingo.

(My moneys' on "the gods are laughing at us" kind of mentality, but hey, what do I know? *hides username*)
EDIT: Crud. *sigh* Words...

As far as I know, the "Comedy" was Dante's most famous work, and "The Inferno" is just the most-often read because the other two are basically the same thing again (i.e. Virgil guides Dante through various circles inhabited by various wrong-doers)...and "Inferno" is the most graphic of the three. (depraved demons, morbid setting, tormented souls...)

Depends on which gods you've earned the favor of. :)
One of the kids in my class got book #666. He didn't want to get a different one, though...

Lord Veaon
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Emptor on Thu May 14, 2009 10:08 pm

I keep trying to get things with the numbers 666 in them *sigh* I can't find much that has that

Emptor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Fri May 15, 2009 10:56 am

Lord Veaon wrote:One of the kids in my class got book #666. He didn't want to get a different one, though...

Niiiiiice...

My friend was reading that in English last year. The teacher's room smelled a little too much like incense.

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Veaon on Fri May 15, 2009 1:22 pm

Yes, yes, lovely (?) book, but does anyone actually want to RP in such a setting?
In terms of plot, my original idea was some kind of rebellion of the shades against the demons, with a mortal "tour group" either kind of in the way or helping one side or the other. That seems not-right to me, though, as if a rebellion simply wouldn't/couldn't happen, at least the way Dante presents the place.
Or there's always just walking around and admiring (?) the view while trying to avoid being destroyed...
Input?

Lord Veaon
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Emptor on Fri May 15, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm up for the second.

Emptor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Fri May 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Well...how does Dante present it? If it's possible to sum up the setting in a post.

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Emptor on Fri May 15, 2009 4:52 pm

Dante presents hell as an unchanging place.Minus the people that go there and burn and freeze and etc.He portrays it as an absolute dictatorship of agony and pain,or at least that is what I got from it.

Emptor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Fri May 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Either that's pretty generic, or everyone else copied him. So, it's like one big concentration camp? OK...

How are shades and demons defined?

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Veaon on Sun May 17, 2009 1:32 pm

By ā€œpresent itā€, I mean his portrayal of the structure of the setting and its contents. Basically, the souls of the dead are grouped into the Nine Circles of Hell (and their various subdivisions) based on what they did in life. The shades of the Inferno are in Hell in the first place because they are wholly dedicated to/unrepentant of their crimes; unlike a ā€œconcentration campā€, they chose this fate for themselves. (Otherwise, they would be in Purgatory, as the repentant sinners.) Thatā€™s why I think something like a rebellion would be ā€œout of characterā€ for the setting as a whole. It simply wouldnā€™t happen. Despite their tortured existence, the shades either realize they have earned this punishment and accept it or else they have been there so long they have simply ceased to be individuals, entirely consigned to going through their punishments. (Iā€™m probably doing a poor job of relaying the interpretation from my teacher, though.)

If we ever get to an actual IC RP (or if someone requests one), Iā€™ll post actual lists of the various circles, sins and punishments for characters to choose from. Iā€™d rather save describing all the settings until we get to the actual tour, instead of giving everything away in advance. Suffice to say that, where there isnā€™t too much fire, itā€™s a rather dark and cold place.
Specific settings, however, include (but are certainly not limited to) piles of feces-slush, flaming tombs, pits of tar, an icy plain, and the Four Rivers.

Iā€™m using demons here as a catch-all term for the various non-shades of Hell. Many are from classical mythology (e.g. Charon the ferryman, Cerberus, Minos, the Furies, Medusa, centaurs) while a few that are more like actual ā€œdemonsā€ are created by Dante. (e.g. things that are similar to gargoyles and a dragon...but arenā€™t)

Lord Veaon
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!