Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Not Your Average Once Upon a Time . . .

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Not Your Average Once Upon a Time . . .

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cashala on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:24 pm

"Wow . . . she was . . . gorgeous . . . " Nikolaus mused, staring off into the crowd of dining knights and knights-to-be dazedly. Aiden rolled his eyes at his friend, snapping his fingers under a lifted bowl in order to warm the porridge in it. As he watched steam begin to lazily rise from it, he muttered, "Idiot. Figures . . ."

"Hey! She's the fairest maiden in all the land, never without a smile or a calming word," retorted Nikolaus, quoting one of the better-known bard songs about Princess Alwen. "Her smile outshines the stars, her step so delicate it ghosts across the ground . . . "

"Yeah, yeah. But I'll only say this once, and once only: there is no chance, be it on Gaia, in Heaven or Hell, that you will ever be able to be with her. She's the Elven Princess, jewel of the royal family and the kingdom, for crying out loud! She has a better chance of someone breaking through all the guards around her and getting - "

"KIDNAPPED!" Everyone in the mess looked around in confusion before the main door opening made it apparent who was yelling. "The Princess! Princess Alwen has been kidnapped!" cried the Knight Commander's Herald, his chest heaving as he struggled for breath. "All enlisted in the protection of the realm have been summoned to the Audience Chamber! Come, quickly!"
Last edited by CriminalMinds on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change in title

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Cashala
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Not Your Average Once Upon a Time . . . (Pomme/Cashala PRP)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pomme on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:03 pm

How droll was the evening's engagements. Talks about future goals and promises for the future of King Aldor's land often seemed to go on and on until words meshed together into a mess of syllables and tangents about all the wonderous things King Aldor did for the people. It wasn't as if Alwen was slow or incapable of knowing politics. But it has been almost twenty years now that her mother, Lady Ara, made her sit with the family during banquets like the one layed out in front of her.

Overly eager faces looked up to the royal family for guidance and as a shining beacon. It was almost embarassing. Creamy hands went to her cheeks, hiding the fact she was feeling that way. Alwen feared she would never get over being who she was. She was nothing special yet people deemed her the jewel of the kingdom. There was no way to get away from a reputation like that.

Eventually getting over her immediate embarassment, she reached for her cup of wine. The liquid barely swished as she raised it to her lips. As the frosted rim of the glass touched her lips, her twinkling eyes scanned over the faces once more. Every detail of each face was so clear to her. From wrinkle to straying hair, she felt as if she knew them like they had been with her all her life. This idea caused a soft warming beneath her breast which she could not place. Then her eyes fell on a young boy sitting next to a Lesser Elf. The warming she felt turned into something almost burning. She wondered if he saw her like everybody else did, hoping he would catch her gaze for even the slightest moment.

"Darling, what is wrong?" Lady Ara leaned towards her daughter, running slender fingers through the hair of her most precious treasure. "Do you not feel well?" Alwen smiled one of her best smiles and placed down her wine. "No, mother. I am fine. But I think am too fatigued for anymore talks of the future. Afterall, Mother, we do have a long future ahead of us." Then the Elf child stood up and placed a kiss on her mother's cheek before using a side passage used only by the royal family to leave the dining hall.

Out in the hall, she was alone. Most of the servants were busy with what she left behind. Her father's booming yet fluid voice echoed around her through the open doorway behind her. With each step, it became more and more silent. At the end of the hall was a open window, leaves being blown in by the night's cool breeze. She came to it to stare out at the sprawling land and muse at how small everything was compared to the great stars and moon. That's when the sickening happened in her belly. But it was too late to run back or try for help.

The fair princess fell back from the window, landing on the stone floor. A sleeping potion was placed in her drink. The culprits of such a crime crowded the window, ready to take their prize and use the cover of darkness to make their escape.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Pomme
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cashala on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Aiden looked in annoyance at the back in front of him, head swimming unpleasantly as he noticed that the knight in front of him had been in the middle of practice when he was summoned. Turning to Nikolaus, he whispered, "Can you see anything?"

"Sh! The king is about to speak!" Nikolaus hissed back. All around, the little uneasy murmurings which had been going on ceased. Nikolaus stared intently at the scene in front of him, taking it all in.

The king cleared his throat, started to speak, and cleared his throat once again when all that camed out was a half-sob. "After the feast, Princess Alwen's chief lady in waiting went to retrieve her mistress. When she could not find her, she alerted the chief of staff, who came to myself. When I attempted to cast a spell to hone in on the necklace which denotes her as a princess of this realm, it led us to the Moonlight Hall observational window. When the events leading up to it ending up on the floor were played, it became apparent that our Princess Alwen was drugged and then taken." Disconcerted murmurs rumbled around the room for a short moment before the deathly silence prevailed once again. The king sat down on his throne, suddenly looking very old and weak. "Queen Ara has secluded herself in her rooms. She is sick with worry, and her daughters have been summoned to comfort her. As such, activity around her wing as well as above and below it is to be limited."

A cracked old voice spoke up. "Now it is my turn to speak," said the Royal Mage, shuffling forwards. She was ancient, her fingers gnarled almost beyond recognition. However, to any with a magical Sight who wished to use it near her, would be very nearly blinded by her magical power. "Groups of mages will be working around the clock in an effort to ascertain our Princess's whereabouts. Each group of knights dispatched will also have at least one full-fledged mage in their party." It was then that the Knight Commander, a burly man with a fine-trimmed, albeit greying, beard voiced the plans for the knights and knights in training.

"There will be long-term searchers whom will travel abroad until the Princess is found and those who will return back to the castle after a set number of days. For obvious reasons, none of the newer squires, nor any of the pages, will be on a long-term assignment." The glare which he sent out over the crowd dared any to moan at his decision. "Your quadrant commanders will relay the information to your barrack supervisors, who will post them. You meet place and time will also be on the sheet if applicable. Do not be late."

With that, the meeting ended. Nikolaus grabbed hold of Aiden's shirt, not certain if he would be able to find his vertically challenged friend again after the rush which followed the meeting's adjournment. "Let's go to the mage dorms. It's quieter," Aiden said. Nikolaus nodded.

Twenty minutes later, they were in the mage dormitory Aiden shared with several other boys. Nikolaus paced in front of a high, thin window, tossing the apple he had grabbed from the bowl Aiden kept by his bed from hand to hand. "You're going to run a hole through the floor. Also, I'm sure the girls downstairs are happy to hear your clodhoppers right above their heads," Aiden said drily. Nikolaus plopped down beside Aiden on his bed, lying partially on it. Before he spoke, he took a bite out of the ruby red apple.

"I'm too new," he said. Aiden looked at him in puzzlement. "I've been a squire for not even three months! There's no way that they'll let me go on one of the abroad teams," he clarified, scrutinizing his apple before he took another bite.

Aiden sighed before taking off his kid shoes, scooting back onto the bed before crossing his legs. "I won't be, either," he said glumly, tracing a circle in the rich red blanket covering his bed. Nikolaus looked at him in surprise, eyebrows shooting up until they nearly disappeared into his hair.

Aiden placed his elbows on his knees and cradled his face in his hands, looking down at his best friend glumly. "My Gift's too destructive for reconaissance, and a tad bit unpredictable during daylight hours. I've been barred from using it outside of the presence of a certified mage during daytime."

Nikolaus blinked in suprise before sitting up quickly, bumping his head smartly on the bunk above. Rubbing his head, he said, "They can't do that! There hasn't been a ban like that placed in years - centuries, even!" Aiden nodded ruefully.

A few minutes passed in silence, save for Nikolaus munching absentmindedly on his apple. Suddenly, his eyes lit up and he snapped his fingers smartly. "I've got it!" he cried. Aiden looked at him in wary curiousity, not even needing to prompt Nikolaus to explain. "We can go do it ourselves! We stayed during New Year, so we have some off time. They won't miss us, since we're just trainees - if anything they'll be happy to get rid of us for a fortnight!"

Aiden's mouth hung open as he digested what his friend was saying. "Are you MAD?!" he stuttered, taking Nikolaus's by the shoulders and shaking him. "We can't do this alone! Even if we were to find where she was, we wouldn't be able to get her! I thought you were crazy that time with dying the cows green, but this is just . . . just . . . insane!"

However, despite Aiden's protests, he was packed up and ready to depart with Nikolaus on a pair of horses by the time the sun was rising the next day.

Cashala
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pomme on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:38 pm

How appalling it had to be to wake to the smell of musty wood planks and old hay. The scratchy burlap made her skin flare and her senses were overpowered by fear and the terrible stench that surrounded her. Foreign voices flooded in, conversations about how well a plan went. That's when it all came back to fair Alwen.

Never before had the child felt such great fear before. All her life there was always someone to protect her from the evils that romped about beyond the castle gardens. "Please! Please! Someone let me out!" Her meek fists pounded on the back of the cart she was trapped within. It was locked on the outside. When her knuckles were numb and bleeding, she slipped her thin fingers between the boards and pried on the moist wood, hoping the pressure might bend it to a breaking point. No such luck.

"Quiet in there!" A man's voice bellowed and Alwen cowered back. When all seemed calm, a horse whinnied and the captors began to move on with their prize.

The girl's eyes glowed in the dapple light that poured in through the ripped canvas. Her elven sight allowed her to see the beauty that became the backdrop of her tragedy; the fresh leaves of spring, birds singing their glorious songs, and the sun itself beaming with all it's warmth and love. She raised her hands upwards, begging to feel that warmth which she relished more than anything. Her palms ached from her previous attempts at escape but she didn't care.

There was no telling what was going to become of her. For all she knew, she was kidnapped by horrible demons who planned to eat her for supper. What a terrible fate. She wondered how her mother might be. The queen's health was never good and Alwen always worried. Slowly, the fear she had control her so violently earlier became a fear for those she was taken from. Even the whole of the kingdom worried the royal. All those people who smiled and loved her family so dearly that night. She let her hands drop to her lap, her fingers burying themselves in the folds of her gown.

The road was bumpy but the girl was not bothered by such a trivial thing. Thinking of the knights made her think of the boy she saw and how she felt when their eyes met for the slightest moment. How strange of a thing to think of. But it pleased her nonetheless. It made her problem seem much easier to cope with.

Alone in some part of the forest, she began to wait patiently for her rescue.

Pomme
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cashala on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Once the odd pair had left the outer walls of the city far behind, Aiden asked, "So. Where do we start in this [/i]ingenious[/i] plan of yours?" Nikolaus quirked his eyebrows.

"I thought you knew."

Aiden nearly fell off his horse. In any case, he drew the beast up abruptly, causing it to give a snort of annoyance. "WHAT? It's YOUR plan!" he exclaimed as his friend made his own horse circle the small mage.

"Well, when we were young you always knew where everyone in the village was. Why can't you do that now?"

Aiden rolled his eyes as he kneed his horse forwards into a slow pace. "That's different. I don't know her. To be able to do that I have to spend time with them to get accustomed to them. And even then, I only get glimpses and feelings of where they are. It isn't like a dot appears in my vision with the words 'OVER HERE' written on it," he explained sarcastically. Nikolaus suddenly appeared beside him, questions on his face. "I didn't tell you because it just didn't come up! Besides, it's annoying and embarrassing."

Nikolaus pondered this for a moment, head tilted to the side, before asking, "How?"

Aiden's hand came up to cover his face again. "Uuuuuuuug," he exhaled. Taking his hand away from his face, he stared straight ahead. "Whenever I even think about thinking about someone I know, it happens. The closer they are to me physically and emotionally, the clearer the reading. And I get little glimpses, but it's usually enough to understand." He paused for a moment before blowing a stray hair from his face. "So, for example, I suddenly think about my mother in the middle of the night because I hear something strange coming from somewhere. Suddenly I'm scarred for life because I thought about her while Amile was getting conceived."

Nikolaus looked at his friend in horror. "Wow," was all he managed to say. "Just, wow."

They travelled in relative silence for the next hour or so, until Nikolaus suddenly drew up his horse, gripping the reigns with a death grip. "Do you hear that?" he asked, cocking his head to the side as he probed the thick forest in front of his with curious eyes.

"No, I don't, and even if I did hear something, I wouldn't go into those woods," replied Aiden, stopping his horse a few paces ahead. Both animals fidgeted nervously, pawing at the ground, chewing at the bit as their ears flicked backwards. The hair on the back of the young mage's neck stood up as he realized there was no bird song or other sounds of life coming from what, otherwise, looked like a perfectly suitable habitat.

Without a word, Nikolaus got off his horse, riding boots giving off a tiny sound as they hit the packed dirt. Aiden looked on in puzzlement - until, that is, the squire began to drift towards the woods in a daze.

"Nick - hey, Nick! Don't go in there!" But his warnings fell on deaf ears. The short male took his eyes off his friend for a split second while he dismounted. When he looked up, the forest lay there, silent as before, but Nikolaus was nowhere in sight.

((OOC: It isn't the forest that Alwen is in, just so you know - the RP won't be finishing that fast!))

Cashala
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!