Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Day of the Triffids. OOC

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Day of the Triffids. OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darkpriest on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:42 pm

In character http://www.roleplaygateway.com/post1010704.html#p1010704
Role players wanted http://www.roleplaygateway.com/the-day-the-triffids-t37315.html

The day of the Triffids.

The Day of the Triffids is a post-apocalyptic novel written in 1951 by the English science fiction author John Wyndham.

The Triffid
Triffids are aggressive, carnivorous plants. Bio engineered in the soviet union. But I will let John Wyndham explain.
"My own belief, for what that is worth, is that they were the outcome of a series of ingenious biological meddlings--and very likely accidental, at that. Had they been evolved anywhere but in the region they were, we should doubtless have had a well-documented ancestry for them."

How they spread
the triffids first came to the attention of the Western world when a pilot named Umberto Christoforo Palanguez presented the Arctic & European Fish Oil Company with a mysterious vegetable oil originating from the Russian SFSR. Once the scientists of Arctic & European realized how potent the oil was, Palanguez was contracted to smuggle some seeds of the plant out of Russia. But the plane, carrying triffid seeds, was shot down by the Red Airforce, allowing the seeds to be carried all over the globe by wind.

The first documented triffid outbreaks occur in Indochina, where they receive little press attention, until triffids begin appearing in Sumatra, Borneo, Belgian Congo, Colombia, Brazil and other equatorial regions. Although they develop faster in tropical regions, triffids soon begin establishing themselves in many regions outside the polar and desert regions. Once it is discovered that triffids are predatory creatures, they are culled in large numbers, until it is later found out that docking their stingers renders them harmless. Docked triffids soon become fashionable in public and private gardens. As it takes triffids two years to fully regrow their stings, captive triffids are pruned every year. Triffid farms are built in order to produce triffid oil, which is of greater quality when taken from undocked specimens.

The Abilities and habits of the triffid.
In The Day of the Triffids, adult triffids are described as measuring on average seven feet in height. European triffids never exceed 8 feet, while those living in tropical areas can reach 10 feet. The base of a triffid is a large muscle-like root mass comprising three blunt appendages. When dormant/docile, these appendages are rooted into the ground and are used to draw nutrients, as with a normal plant. When active, triffids use these appendages to propel themselves along at a moderate walking pace. From the text.

"When it "walked" it moved rather like a man on crutches. Two of the blunt "legs" slid forward, then the whole thing lurched as the rear one drew almost level with them, then the two in front slid forward again. At each "step" the long stem whipped violently back and forth; it gave one a kind of seasick feeling to watch it. As a method of progress it looked both strenuous and clumsy-faintly reminiscent of young elephants at play. One felt that if it were to go on lurching for long in that fashion it would be bound to strip all its leaves if it did not actually break its stem. Nevertheless, ungainly though it looked, it was contriving to cover the ground at something like an average walking pace. "

Above the base are upturned leafless sticks which the triffid drums against its stem. The exact purpose of this is not fully explained in The Day of the Triffids. It is originally assumed that they are used to attract mates, though Bill Masen's colleague, Walter Lucknor, believes that they are in fact used for communication. It is revealed that removal of these sticks causes the triffid to physically deteriorate.

The upper part of a triffid consists of a stem ending in a funnel-like formation containing a sticky substance which traps insects, much like a pitcher plant. Also housed within the funnel is a stinger which, when fully extended, can measure 10 feet in length. When attacking, a triffid will lash out at its target using its sting, primarily aiming for its prey's face or head, and with considerable speed and force. Contact with bare skin can kill a man instantly. Once its prey has been stung and killed, a triffid will root itself beside the body and feed on it as it decomposes by tearing at its softened flesh with its stinger and pulling the rotting meat into its funnel.

Triffids reproduce by inflating a dark green pod just below the top of their funnel until it bursts, releasing white seeds (95% of which are infertile) into the air.
Intelligence

A recurring theme in The Day of the Triffids is whether or not triffids are intelligent or autonomous beings acting on set instincts.

"And there's certainly intelligence there, of a kind. Have you noticed that when they attack they always go for the unprotected parts? Almost always the head-but sometimes the hands. And another thing: if you look at the statistics of casualties, just take notice of the proportion that has been stung across the eyes and blinded. It's remarkable-and significant."

Later, after the Great Blinding, the triffids are observed to herd blind people into cramped spaces in order to pick them off more easily. Triffids are also observed to root themselves beside houses, waiting for the occupants to come out.

Summary

Triffids are large, poisonous plants. 1 sting and your dead.
They can move at walking place
Communicate with each other by banging sticks against there stems.
The sting has a range of 10 feet
They hunt
They travel in groups
They can hear
And aim for the eyes
Think the plant version of zombies.

The Blinding
Triffids were enjoyed for years, causing no real harm and not really doing anything.
But during a meteor shower, the light from the meteors burning up in the atmosphere, burns out the retina of anyone who looks at it. The result is global blinding, since everyone looked, it was advised as it was a once in a life time light show. Welcome to a world of the blind.
No government
No organization
No plans
People are scared
In the streets
Hungry and thirsty

The Roleplay

Welcome to london. The morning after. Just as the sun rising, the screams fill the streets. The population has awoken blind.

You are sighted, you didnt watch the meteor shower. But now your a survivor. The city of london is dying, it doesnt know it yet, but soon the hungry will awaken, with no one to drive lorries, with no farms to plant crops, there is no food. People will die, they will rot, plauge will spread.

And in the back round, Triffids hunt for food, free from the farms. But the farms are in the countryside, not a worry yet, those few held in london were docked, mostly, but be aware, for the moment you fear the blind, but that might change soon.

Rules
To join post a bio on the ooc thread, then wait for me to ok it.
No god mode
Any questions just ask
post every day or every other day
if your gone for a week without notice then you will be taken over
you dont have to have read the book
Look on wikipeida for more information, well very similar information to what i copy and pasted in fact.
Last edited by Darkpriest on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Darkpriest
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: The Day of the Triffids.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darkpriest on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Ok heres my character, im keeping it relativly short.

Name – Nick Mason

Age – 18

Appearance – 5ft9, short black hair, slightly pale. Nick has the appearance of what he is, a teenager, well maybe a teenage becoming aware he’s meant to be an adult. Either way, he’s not very physically fit, but that’s not to say he’s weak, he just isn’t fond of sport, or going outside, he goes to the gym twice a week, although maybe he could try harder. Anyway, he’s not that strong. He’s wearing black jeans, a black shirt and some black trainers. He has brown eyes and a relatively friendly face.

Backround – Nick is just finishing up his Alevels, he was on a school trip, he missed the blinding, because he was hung over, asleep. He had been partying that day, so slept that night soundly and ignored by the other students on the trip. He doesn’t know London very well and comes from Exeter. Hes only been to London a few times before and always found it a rather large and daunting place.

He lives on a small farm outside of the city of exeter, his parents both work in the city, so its not a very serious farm, a few pigs and that’s about it. Nick has never been into the out doors that much, video games are good.Although he managed to get his parents to buy a Triffid which they have as a pet, its docked of course, but interests Nick due to is relatively poorly documented history and the strangeness, like something from another world almost, he reads a lot, plays chess, listens to music, he wears a lot of black, although wouldn’t class himself as a goth, he’s to happy for that, but he’s also a bit of a loner, not fond of crowds.

He was taking math’s, history and economics, with hopes of going to York university to study history and economics dual honors. The trip to London was for history, to look around the museums and do all the tourist stuff. So far it had been good, he gets on with his history class and finds it all very interesting.

Now nick his just waking up in the hotel, he’s alone and the room is quiet for the moment. It is meant to be the last day of the trip.

Supplies - currently, hes just woken up so none, but soon to have not much else.

Any skills to note - nope, although his keen intrest in the end of the world fiction may prove of use.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Darkpriest
Member for 15 years

Re: The Day of the Triffids.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabs on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Character...ok this is my first time on one of these things so i appologise if i'm not very good but here goes...

Name - Angel Adams

Age - 18

Appearance - short, but don't judge on size because small doesn't mean small minded or small at heart, shoulder length redish brown hair that tends to be up in a messy bun. Is a girl but doesn't tend to act or dress like one, is into jeans plus t.shirt combonation. Isn't overly skinny but not fat either only sport she really does is yoga claiming that it is for 'relaxation purposes' Not really anything to look at, but isn't at all botherd by the fact. Angel is a take me as you find me kind of girl.

Background - was on the same bus as Nick but not for the history, was going for the art galleries and the theatre. Takes Drama, Art and english for her A levels. Hobbies include drawing, playing cards and singing. Missed the blinding because there was a late show on in a theatre, but it was so boring that she feel asleep and slipped off her chair. By the time she woke up the theatre was deserted and it was morning.

Lives near Exeter but preferes the country to cities so tries to get out as often as possible. Doesn't own a triffid, has heard about them but has never become overly interested. Enjoys the company of a small group of friends, she would do anything for them while she really likes to have a laugh yet since none of her friends joined her in the theatre it shows that Angel doesn't get the respect that she deserves.
Suppiles - only a shoulder bag that contains a small amount of money, a book and a programe for the show she was watching. Other than that whatever happens to be in the theatre.

Skills - an interest in the theatre, art and reading but whether this knowlege will be helpful is highly unlikely.

Gabs
Member for 14 years
Conversationalist

Re: The Day of the Triffids. OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby meim on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:40 am

(So it is set in 1951 or present day?)

Name: Max Billard

Appearance: Max is a 6ft3 bespectabled medium built man. He runs a family owned bookstore but he strictly only read comics. He is clean shaven most of the time and he usually wear long sleeves and a tie when working. However, his clothes cover the tattoos and scars on his back and arms. His eyes are cold and black despite his attempts to look pleasant. Children that come into the bookstore to buy comics never dare to browse even though Max doesn't personally mind.

Background: Somewhere along his life, things just went out of control and he ended up joining a gang. He was caught for illegal drug possession and his parents died while he was serving time. After being in prison, he does not speak about how he leave or what he did in the gang, but resolve to take care of his father's "shitty" bookstore. He lives upstairs from the bookstore which is very near the local police station so his ex-gang friends do not really visit. He hates the smell of Triffids and can easily smell them out. He was angry at missing the meteor shower just because he had to settle the account books for the auditor.

Supplies: Books in the bookstore, things you can find in an apartment. Suspicious amounts of herbicides and air freshener. His neighbours do not have Triffids because they have mysteriously disappeared one too many times.

Skill: Not too educated. Some street fighting experience. Rusty gun handling, simple lock picking skills

meim
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darkpriest on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 pm

OK your both in, i will give it another 24 hours, and start with my first post on the incharacter board tommorow

Also Meim, good question, its going to be now. My first post will give a date and time to the situation.

I dont think the modern world will have much effect on the real story, or the danger of the triffids/ blind.

There is a point i forgot to mention. For people wanting to join this is going to be a more serious rp, so i dont want huge amounts of gun, or people having awsome anti triffid fighting skill or anything like that.

Characters need to be normal people, and equipment has to be what you would expect to find.
Any questions about this then feel free to ask.

Darkpriest
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darkpriest on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:56 pm

Ok im going to start posting in the IC thread, please feel free to do the same after my first post is up.

Im not going to be online tommorow, i have an exam on friday so will be working hard, but i will be online on friday if there are any problems or questions i will deal with them then, thanks.

Also if you know anyone else that mgiht like this rp, please feel free to invite them.

Darkpriest
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby meim on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:25 am

I'll post before Gabs...

meim
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darkpriest on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:42 pm

yeah, ive been talking to gabs shes just been busy. Im going away tommorow for a few days so will probably be able to post again wednesday night. sorry about that.

Darkpriest
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!